Page 6 of 6
I hardly even know the titles of the songs on Beacons. I just hit play on track 1 and from there I just become enveloped in the music. But the beginning of the album is definitely my favorite part.
Quote by Steve08
I've only listened to one song from the Chimp Spanner album (Supererogation) but it was cool, the synths were absolutely stunning, is the rest of the album any good?

yes, very. Its more "shreddy" and less atmosphericy/post metal-y than cloudkicker, which makes it awesome in its own right.

also, cloudkicker uses les pauls: what the shell?
So hey, Ben released a sort of Christmas song a few days ago. It's pretty awesome.
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Listening now, it sounds excellent as usual. It's really stunning what he creates, and as a hobby. It's pretty inspiring.
the renamed, remastered ]]][[[ (changed to A New Heavenly Body) rules
^ +1 to both. Really like the new titles for ]]][[[ too
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
I emailed Ben about Beacons, namely if there was any actual concept that he had behind it and this is what he had to say:

"Hey Steve. There isn't really anything set in stone about Beacons, except for what I was feeling when I wrote it. To me, it is very reflective and nostalgic, but those feelings and moods always seem to bring with them a certain indescribable uneasiness and uncertainty about the future. Titling the songs the way I did was my way of steering people in that direction emotionally. By really conceptualizing the meanings behind those words I think it puts the listener in the right frame of mind to hear the songs in way that I hear them.

I hope that makes sense.
Ben"
awesome. i love push it way up!
Gear:

Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special /w EMGs
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960 B Cab

Check out my band...

I was searching for Cloudkicker production tips earlier and found a Logic file with his template.

Here's the mix.

And the Logic file if you can open it.
http://www.box.net/shared/qyhhm4piem

Also, bump I guess. More people need to hear Cloudkicker.

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
Cloudkicker is really good. Got started with The Discovery of course, and I love Beacons.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Special C-7 FR
Peavey Vyper 60W Tube
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
He really cuts the hell out of the highs on the guitars, and one hears it on the records. I'd actually like for them to be sharper in the mix.
UG FORUM
Your 21st Century Ant Farm
Corroborating Sturgeon's Law Since 2003
Cloudkicker is the freakin definition of epic music. Ben sharp is a genious. If u like Cloudkicker I recommend you guys checkin his other project out that goes under the name of BM sharp. Its less metal influenced but just as good. I dont think he will be releasing anything under that name anymore since it was before cloudkicker. He gave that out for free aswell. You can check it out here: http://sites.google.com/site/benthesharp/downloadallthismusic!
Quote by Mondavarious
Cloudkicker is the freakin definition of epic music. Ben sharp is a genious. If u like Cloudkicker I recommend you guys checkin his other project out that goes under the name of BM sharp. Its less metal influenced but just as good. I dont think he will be releasing anything under that name anymore since it was before cloudkicker. He gave that out for free aswell. You can check it out here: http://sites.google.com/site/benthesharp/downloadallthismusic!

Thanks for the link, sounds awesome.
Are we listening to the same album here ?

I thought it was really underwhelming but relaxing. Decent but not something I'm gonna spin again...
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Quote by illuminatiano

I thought it was really underwhelming but relaxing. Decent but not something I'm gonna spin again...

This. The only song I could potentially feel the need to revisit is the last track.
Quote by metal7690
This. The only song I could potentially feel the need to revisit is the last track.

Same. I dug the last track and the 6th track.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
New album is lame as hell, Ben really shouldn't have released it under Cloudkicker.

I mean, it wasn't BAD, it just seemed to me like he was trying to pull a Devin Townsend and go all soft like Devy did with Ghost.

Listened once, but now I'm gonna go listen to cool music like Dysphoria or Portmanteau.
Yeah we're listening to the same album I love it, but to each his own.
love is love // return to dust
Quote by CoreysMonster
New album is lame as hell, Ben really shouldn't have released it under Cloudkicker.

I mean, it wasn't BAD, it just seemed to me like he was trying to pull a Devin Townsend and go all soft like Devy did with Ghost.

Listened once, but now I'm gonna go listen to cool music like Dysphoria or Portmanteau.

gtfooooooooooooooo, theres nothing wrong with it NOT being heavy. If you're so mad about it being under the Cloudkicker moniker, go change the artist ID on the album to "Ben Sharp" or "Lamekicker". Lame. Pah. I don't think so...
I love LYBH, though it is a bit on the short side.
Also, I can't for the life of me find any Portmanteau tabs (port being my favourite release from Ben), and after emailing Ben about tabs he's done, he seems too lazy to do any more , and the ones he has done do not include any Port songs
Well... that was tedious. Shut it off halfway through the 3rd track. Would not recommend.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Counter Chemfire up there, I'm really enjoying this album a lot. It's definitely much more post-rock influenced than anything he's done in a while (unless LYBH was in a similar vein; I haven't heard that one yet, strangely), but it's really working for me musically. Give it a listen and see if it rustles your jimmies.
Pretty sure this is old news to everyone else, but I just realized that the cover of ]]][[[ is a portrait of the outlaw Ned Kelly. Fun fact.
So, how about that Cloudkicker? I loved Signal/Noise, though I feel that would have been a more apt title for the recently released Hello. That one I just can't...feel.
Jet propulsion disengage.

Quote by Xiaoxi
^I love your username
Quote by illuminatiano

Basically what I thought. I mean, it's hardly something that made me go, "Wow...I need to listen to this more; it's cool". It was decent, but not great.

Edit:
And I haven't been able to get into anything else of his work either. I tried, trust me.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jan 24, 2013,
Giddy like a schoolgirl because I get to deliver my favorite sort of bump: New Cloudkicker album. It's a beautiful cross between the ambient grace of Let Yourself Be Huge and the heaviness of the pre-Beacons material. So enjoy, you lovely people: http://cloudkickermusic.com/
Jet propulsion disengage.

Quote by Xiaoxi
^I love your username
the songs feel like he is forcing them to be really long. i like the parts in the songs. i hate how long he goes on for each riff. the way he used to do it was perfect. he played the riffs a lot but it was never over done. i feel its over done on this one.