Page 4 of 4
before i post a reply i always read all the comments which i did now.
I pass on this one lol
Guitars
Jackson SL3MG
Ibanez RGR321EX
Kramer 120
Bass
Epiphone Embassy Standard V
Amp
Engl Ritchie Blackmore Signature
Pick
Jim Dunlop Max Grip Carbon Jazz III
Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Hardware, labor, wood quality, pickups, build quality, and of course, reputation and recognition.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by PumpkinPieces
Reason for Jag's and mustangs: Kurt Cobain.

if someone like him found a liking to those two model might give a good indication about their quality one would think.
Quote by BelowZero
you like bass sound. wanna go crazy on stage. and want a "place for a whammy bar"

have you been playing for two weeks?

go get a squier....

Quote by jess2112
I've heard of a guitar with five colored frets, but they don't play well.
Quote by ModestAxis
if someone like him found a liking to those two model might give a good indication about their quality one would think.

i thought he just played them because vintage jags and mustangs were considered practically worthless at the time, and therefore dirt cheap and a good platform for modding.
Happiness is a warm Vox AC30
I've got a 350 (? something like that) euro Ibanez Sa160 I think and a 800 euro ltd ec-400 (the gold one). And altough I like the Ibanez alot, the LTD is definitly better. You can feel the difference between those guitars, maybe mostly because they're competely different models, but still.

But now I'd like to know what the gap is between a guitar like that ltd, high-price-under-1000-guitar and a guitar that cost over 1000.

Ps: I bought it used, in mint condition for 600, I don't think i'd give that much money on a guitar any time soon.
Pick up a PRS hollowbody II in Spruce and play on it a little bit. There's definitely a difference in higher priced guitars. Ya sometimes it's the name, or the brand or whatever but other times theres a real difference. Think of it this way is there a difference between a normal everyday car and a regular corvette? Not really. There's a huge ass difference between a normal car and a z06 though. You just gotta hit a certain threshold of price and avoid the clunkers.
buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.
Quote by ieatcrayons1
what is it about some guitars that make them worth 2,000+ dollars.

im sold on it being just because of the name? i know wood type and whether it is hand made is brought into account. but it shouldnt make THAT big of a difference!

i just know ive played starter pack ibanez guitars that play and sound better than $800 dollar fenders.

Most MIJ/MIA etc, guitars here cost about $2000+ Australian
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Its mostly the brand name
Quote by WantsLesPaul
I get such a big rush from downloading torrents that I just have to cum all over my face right at that moment.
Ahhh necro-thread!!!!

*blows threads head off with shotgun*
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Quote by bingeandletgo
Ahhh necro-thread!!!!

*blows threads head off with shotgun*

It didn´t work - fire another shot!
a gibson ****ing cost 7000 bucks. and compared to an epiphone,i don't find any difference in tone.maybe just the look?
If you all really knew what a guitar actually cost before it hit the stores you´d shit yourselves. Guitars starting in the 300 range would´nt even cost 50 to make, there is an ungodly mark up that many people do not understand and never will.
Quote by Richmanofaction
Nah- thats not true- a $2000 dollar guitar is expensive for various reasons- but like anything else you need to be careful what you're spending that 2000 bucks on. If I bought a Zakk Wylde Les Paul, i'd be paying for the name and the bullseye finish and all that hooey. For that price you're paying for certain features and techniques.

One thing that makes an expensive axe worth it is build quality and feature quality.
For build quality, they usually have the best woods and materials. On my soloist, the name on the headstock is mother of pearl, along with the inlays, the neck is bound and the guitar's paint job/finish is hand dressed. (for the difference- look up "eerie dess swirl" and compare a japanese jackson and an american one) My japanese jackson was factory assembled, has MOTO inlays, and has a bolt on neck. The Soloist was built at the USA factory in California by a small team of people. What you're paying for is the American labor, and the attention to detail that the small domestic team provided during construction. I know who wired my guitar, who did the neck dressing and who painted the finish. Also, I know that they picked the best cut of Alder for my guitar's body. As a consumer who is spending alot of cash on an instrument, this is important to me.

In terms of electronics, the pots and electronics on more expensive guitars reflect the price paid. Case in point, my Soloist's pots and pickup switch are more solid than those found on my japanese jackson. They are all steel, no plastic to be found, and can take abuse that a professional musician can dole out. In this price, you get the best of the brand. I have a Japanese jackson with a Floyd Rose- but it isn't an original, its licensed. It doesn't do all the tricks an original can, nor does it hold a tune like my soloist. The pups in a guitar like this should be top of the line- the USA variants of the brand. Be careful with a 2000 dollar guitar with active EMGs- they sound the same in a $200 guitar as they do in a $2000 one. In a guitar like this you want a guitar with passive pups that bring out the nuance of the hopefully fine cut of wood that you get in this price range.

I can't stress enough though that when spending alot of money on an instrument, I would look to see that I am getting the best possible value for the cost. Personally, I don't get why people would spend 3500 on a strat, but thats just me. If I am spending that kind of money, I would want certain features...for example, neck through, exotic woods etc.

All in all, its like asking "why buy a Maserati when I can upgrade my honda civic just as much?" In the end they both are cars, but one is just more finely executed over the other.

I will respond by the groupings of bolds:

Bold #1. No, what you're paying for is the reputation American labor has with Americans, a little bit like the Marshall name. Its not as if the Japanese are inferior. Japanese labor is just as good but American labor costs more.
2. You dont know any of those people. You know them just as much as you know Yao Jin, who works in the chinese factory.
3. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Yeah, Ok. If Im going to sell you something for $2000, you better believe its the best, but unfortunately no.
4. You should avoid EMGs wherever they are.
5. Wait... didnt you just say you spent $2000 on a GUITAR? Now we're supposed to find good value for our money? Hahahaha no.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by VanTheKraut

4. You should avoid EMGs wherever they are.
5. Wait... didnt you just say you spent $2000 on a GUITAR? Now we're supposed to find good value for our money? Hahahaha no.

I have one guitar that I paid over 2,000US$ for - and another that is now worth that amount - and I feel like they were the best investments I have ever made. They are a mainstay of my my life, my work, and my passion. These things are worth that price.

Quote by VanTheKraut
I will respond by the groupings of bolds:

Bold #1. No, what you're paying for is the reputation American labor has with Americans, a little bit like the Marshall name. Its not as if the Japanese are inferior. Japanese labor is just as good but American labor costs more.

You pretty much defined what he said... you aren´t paying for the reputation you´re just paying for the higher wages that Americans demand - thus paying for American labour.
Last edited by Vlasco at Jan 19, 2010,
Quote by simpleben09
Hey, what has four arms, four legs, and works at McDonalds? The remaining memebers of Nirvana XD. But really, God bless Kurt Cobain, and after making that joke, God, have mercy on my soul lol

Ah yes, Dave Grohl isn't the frontman for Foo Fighters, and Krist Novoselic didn't challenge the Erotic Music bullshit in Washington state
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
same reason you can buy a car for 10 grand, and 1 million. talk about a price jump.

i would like to say for any kind of custom shop work that is completely worth it for a musical instrument. there is a lot of craftmanship involved. but for assembly line mass produced guitars, yeah its a bit much when they get that high.

but there are certain things you get with nice guitars you just dont from lesser ones. thats why people pay.
Quote by simpleben09
Hey, what has four arms, four legs, and works at McDonalds? The remaining memebers of Nirvana XD. But really, God bless Kurt Cobain, and after making that joke, God, have mercy on my soul lol

Dave Grohl?
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Like pretty much everyone else has said, it's a combination of various factors, like wood quality, parts, construction method, and labor costs. Also, brand name/supply and demand plays a part in it.

That reminds me, I'd love to own a Jackson SL2H, but unfotunately they run around $2K new :/

Still would pay that much for a new SL2H before I would spend that much on a brand new Gibson Les Paul though! (this one is more a matter of taste though)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by Royal_Brick
Oh yeah, I know someone who has a $25,000 sax.

absolute rip off.

sax is my main instrument, the most desirable being the selmer mark VI. I'm assuming this is what your friend has.. I own one and got it for $4,500, and subsequently found out that most people 'in the know' would not pay that much for it. It is undoubtedly the best sax I have played so definitely worth it, but there is definitely an element of being blinded by the name and reputation.
Quote by gisobon
a gibson ****ing cost 7000 bucks. and compared to an epiphone,i don't find any difference in tone.maybe just the look?

...what? The looks of a gibson compared to an epiphone knockoff are the biggest similarity between them. (i say knockoff because epiphone also have some epi-exclusive models that gibson don't make)

It's not just about tone, you know, and if you couldn't find a difference in the tone between 2 seemingly identical guitars, one a gibson, the other an epiphone, you either:

a) need to get your ears checked
b) aren't very good at guitar so everything you touch sounds crap anyway
c) tried them through an amp which doesn't bring out the natural tone of the instrument very well such as a budget modeller, or..
d) all of the above.

I'm probably going to assume the answer is C in most cases - guitar shops have a terrible habit of plugging you into a shitty amp, hence until you buy an expensive guitar and play it through your own amp (provided it's a decent one) you can never really be sure if it was worth it compared to a cheaper alternative, unless you politely ask to play through a better amp in the shop, which not many people do because they think it seems rude, but it's really not, since they just want to take your money, and if they are more likely to take your money if they let you use a better amp, they'll gladly let you use a better amp!

But as well as tone theres quality, durability, playability etc to take on board. When i was a noob, because i would gravitate towards the cheaper guitars they were what i was used to, so i thought that expensive guitars like gibson les pauls were overpriced pieces of crap simply because i just wasn't used to the sturdy feel. But now that i've got more used to higher end stuff i can feel the difference in quality which is somewhat greater than the difference in tone in many cases. As for playability, they may not be any better than something cheap after a good setup, but the quality sure does make a difference to the overall feel of the guitar - my gibson les paul for example, just feels more playable even though really it may be no more playable than a well set up epiphone.

I know i mostly used the comparison between gibson and epiphone there but i'm actually generally comparing cheap guitars against expensive guitars.
Happiness is a warm Vox AC30
guitars are not expensive. wth are you guys on. take instruments like the flute, a little tiny instrument but they can go up to around 10000 and decent flutes start at around 1000
^ I've been thinking that too. Guitars aren't expensive at all. For a couple grand you can get a really nice guitar. That'll get you a lower midrange violin. Hell, my violin cost 5k and it's an "advanced student" model.
There is a hell of a lot more involved when making a violin than making a solid body guitar. There is a real black art to shaping the soundboard, same deal with arch top mandolins.
My Gilchrist was made by one of the best mandolin builders in the world and he commented on how much easier it is to make an electric guitar and the one he made for me is about as high quality as you can get. (click on it in my sig)
Having said that, when I had it made about 20 years ago a bog standard strat cost almost twice as much as my Gilchrist and it really is like comparing a Ferrari to a Mini. That Fender logo is pretty damn expensive. lol
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
heck not a lot of instruments are nearly as cheap as a guitar. Pretty much 600-800 bucks can get you a real quality instrument that's stage worthy. I gotta say it's more like comparing a Ferrari 360 to a Subera Imprezza Wrx, Cathbard. Almost the same 0-60 and car ability, one costs a lot more and has a lot more shinies, takes corners better at 180mph...maybe.
buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.
Quote by AcousticMirror
I gotta say it's more like comparing a Ferrari 360 to a Subera Imprezza Wrx, Cathbard. Almost the same 0-60 and car ability, one costs a lot more and has a lot more shinies, takes corners better at 180mph...maybe.

Except in this case the one with more shinies is the one that costs a lot less. That 12th fret inlay has about 25 separate pieces of shell making up all the different parts of the fish and each bubble used for the dots is a ring of shell. It makes a strat look like a blank piece of undressed wood.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 28, 2010,
to some people $2000 isnt expensive...... im definitely not one of those people.
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
It's people that make them expensive. At the end of the day, it's a god damn piece of wood

Also, fancier appointments like binding and nice finishes.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
^

Also I reported the necrobump... normally I don't care too much about them if it's a genuine mistake, but that was a blatant, pointless one which makes me wonder if it's a spambot...
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?