Page 134 of 134
BloodReverence
917 IQ
It may be that the parts I'm thinking of are just bad notes for the song, and you're hitting them properly, but the parts I'm thinking of are 1:13, 1:26 has an off-note, first chorus in the very first lyric part is a bit off sounding (slightly sharp/flat). The note in the prechorus at 3:00 on the lyric "the" should be changed imo. It sounds out of place for whatever reason. 4:53 sounds a bit odd as well. You have very odd note choices which works out in a really unique and interesting way sometimes, but sometimes it makes the line sound out of tune. 5:21 is a bit off as well.

I really love your chorus though man, it's got some great note choices and the lyrics are awesome! Hope this critique helps you in any way.
merriman44
857 IQ
It absolutely does. I think I have a bit of a weird ear. I know that the notes are in key, but that doesn't mean they aren't sour, especially to some listeners. You've given me similar feedback on another song in the past. It's greatly appreciated. I'll review all of these points and see if I want to make a change or if it's just my flavor and accept that not everyone will like it.

I have a weird voice hahaha

Thanks again dude!
Crypt1
10 IQ
Kickass, man! I don't have much to say, really. I'm not getting the same sour-note feel as BR, but perhaps I'm just not as keen on note pitch. Though I entirely agree about the intro. I would either spice it up a lot, or cut it very short. Outside of that, nothing else comes to mind. I really like your voice!
UG Support
426 IQ
test
Ultimate Guitar official Support Portal
If you create a ticket by contacting the Support Team directly at forum-support[@]ultimate-guitar.com you'll receive a personal answer by email within 24 hours.

Crypt1
10 IQ
w00tw00t
I'm still waiting for my lows to sound like more than a gurgly whisper ^~^
My highs (and mids, sometimes I guess) are a little better, though.
BloodReverence
917 IQ
Fuck you Merriman, I have a higher IQ than you

Welcome back boys.
Crypt1
10 IQ
Don't mind me, low double-digits IQ passing through, please don't hurt me

So I've another question: Are fry's just inherently kinda higher-pitched in sound, and lack the sort of "shouty" lower undertones? Or is that perhaps something that will start to show up overtime as I practice and get stronger? OR perhaps my puny 19-year-old voice is just too high/young to manage that by default. I guess since it's so early I'm having trouble discerning what features of my screams are due to lack of experience/technique, and what's just an inherent attribute of my voice.
BloodReverence
917 IQ
Naw, everything you described is pretty intuitive of fry, hence why I'm starting to shy away from them a bit. It's more of a higher pitched distortion sound than a shouty-rumbling lower sound.

That being said, there's always going to be room to improve with any technique, and you should always look to improve before blaming the technique itself, if possible.
shinderhizzle84
Blood is Life...
640 IQ
Trying to record my bands 2nd full length album, having recording problems. I think either my nice $300 mic is broken or my cheap $100 audio interface isn't working correctly. Will post clips a little later of the sound I'm getting. My voice is about 8 months out of practice and my recording quality also isn't coming out right. The voice struggles I can handle, but the recording quality I know absolutely nothing about.

Thinking about buying either a new audio interface or a cheaper preamp to improve sound quality. Looking to spend no more than $200-250 USD. Anyone got any recommendations?

Also, when screaming false chord, how much of your head voice do you use? Trained people will know what I mean, and Melissa Cross fans know this as "above the pencil" I'm really having trouble reaching that power I used to get from my head voice due to bad untreatable allergies and constantly clogged Nasal passages. Any good exercises anyone can recommend to practice singing/screaming with the head voice?
shinderhizzle84
Blood is Life...
640 IQ
Quote by merriman44
So today I found out about one of the restrictions in my voice. I have hypertrophied turbinates and a thoroughly deviated septum. I'd always wondered why I couldn't sing into the front part of my face and get the vibrations that everyone was talking about. Come to find out, the fleshy parts of the inside of your nose were absorbing a lot of the tone.

I go under the knife next month to fix it. I'm curious to see how my voice will change but I'm assuming it will have at least a little more air to it and that makes me excited.

I have the world's worst deviated septum as well. Curious if the surgery worked for you or not. Any feedback you could share on before and after. Should I do the surgery or is it really not all that helpful?
merriman44
857 IQ
Shinder, do the surgery. My life is completely different. I sleep better, my talking voice lost a weird character I always hated and I actually can get nasal resonance. I also had hypertrophied turbinates, and it was destroying my tone.

Its worth it just for feeling better, let alone the tonal improvements. Weird side bonus: I no longer have to sleep with my mouth open so my throat is 1000 times less irritated than before.
merriman44
857 IQ
Quote by shinderhizzle84
Trying to record my bands 2nd full length album, having recording problems. I think either my nice $300 mic is broken or my cheap $100 audio interface isn't working correctly. Will post clips a little later of the sound I'm getting. My voice is about 8 months out of practice and my recording quality also isn't coming out right. The voice struggles I can handle, but the recording quality I know absolutely nothing about.

Thinking about buying either a new audio interface or a cheaper preamp to improve sound quality. Looking to spend no more than $200-250 USD. Anyone got any recommendations?

Also, when screaming false chord, how much of your head voice do you use? Trained people will know what I mean, and Melissa Cross fans know this as "above the pencil" I'm really having trouble reaching that power I used to get from my head voice due to bad untreatable allergies and constantly clogged Nasal passages. Any good exercises anyone can recommend to practice singing/screaming with the head voice?

Let's do a diagnosis on the sound first. Know anybody with an interface or mic? Swap them out and see what's going on. Is it possible you just have the gain up too high (Not being a dick, I've had people bump my levels and screw stuff up without me knowing. No one touches my equipment anymore). Let's upgrade that interface first too. Please, for the love of love, buy this: http://www.presonus.com/products/AudioBox-USB/features. Here's one on ebay for 84 buck: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Presonus-Audiobox-2-Channel-USB-MIDI-Recording-Interface-Studio-One-DAW-Software-/301517729304?hash=item4633db6e18:g:K6YAAOSwDuJWyxbe. The unit is professional grade on the inside and is as clean and high fidelity as you will EVER need for vocals.

IIRC, you have the Bluebird correct? It can be extra crispy (read harsh) without a good preamp and you aren't going to get one for what you have left over. However, this is the unit I have and its fantastic: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Audio-710-Twin-Finity-/252458868395?hash=item3ac7b89eab:g:~CMAAOSwMNxXa0li . I was very skeptical at first because dual natured stuff isn't usually great, but its beyond amazing for my vox. If you want to hear some stuff with this setup, let me know and I'll ship you my files. Its out of your budget, but if you could stretch for it, you would be pleased.

False cord screams and the nasal region: I go with whatever feels the most natural for this. Highs sometimes pull some nose in, but its usually just in the back of my mouth. As I'm largely a clean singer now, its vital that I don't compromise the integrity of the voice, so I go with whatever doesn't hurt. Strangely, this has also netted my best, tightest false cord screams by far.

Hope this helps. Sorry for the book
Last edited by merriman44 at Jul 16, 2016,
shinderhizzle84
Blood is Life...
640 IQ
merriman44

Not a book, all very helpful. My computer is weird and basically massively over reads the gain on my AI. If I don't set the gain, the input and monitor levels to the very lowest settings it clips out. I basically have to set the device volume in my audio device properties window on my windows 10 laptop from there.

My deviated septum is so bad and my high notes are what's really killing me. I have to strain so much for those and they still come out so weak and shaky and sometimes I still end up straining myself a little bit.

I would definitely love to spend $400 or so on a nicer preamp but unfortunately it's just not in the cards for me (or at least not for another month or two, possibly longer). I'll take your recommendations to heart and weigh my options.

Also can't believe you remembered my microphone xD
shinderhizzle84
Blood is Life...
640 IQ
Quote by merriman44
Shinder, do the surgery. My life is completely different. I sleep better, my talking voice lost a weird character I always hated and I actually can get nasal resonance. I also had hypertrophied turbinates, and it was destroying my tone.

Its worth it just for feeling better, let alone the tonal improvements. Weird side bonus: I no longer have to sleep with my mouth open so my throat is 1000 times less irritated than before.

Cool, good to know. What kind of doctor did you get for the surgery, and how long afterwards were you able to scream again?

EDIT: Also here is a sample of my current vocals recorded with my current setup. I've managed to finda good balance for my AI, and I don't think the problem is my sound quality.

Something is definitely very wrong with my throat. I used to be able to go months without screaming and then pick it up again with little to no effort and sound as strong as my old self again.

I've screamed for at least 15 miutes a day for the past 11+ days now and something is very wrong. I don't know if it's because of my allergies or if something worse is going on.

I used to sound like this:

Now, I sound like this:

https://soundcloud.com/shinderhizzle84/pursuit-of-vikings-test-mixdown

Same presets and same effects chain (obviously minus the backing track). My vocals are so hollow and scratchy and strained. I've never ever had this problem before. I just can't get any meaningful breath or power or tone into the vocals. I can't reach my usual low or high notes without my voice cracking or dying out prematurely, and my mids sound so soft and weak I may as well just be grumbling moodily under my breath.

Nothing has changed in my technique that could have caused this. I went to an ENT doctor about 3 or 4 months ago and when he looked at my throat and I told him I did screamed vocals he was shocked because he said everything back there looked 100% completely healthy.

Hopefully someone on here can help pinpoint what's going on with my system. I've never practiced so many days in a row so consistently and still had such strong issues with my technique. I tend to feel way more hoarse after even the smallest of screaming sessions than I ever did in the past. I don't know f it's just my deviated septum getting worse and making me shittier or if something else larger is at hand. My throat just feels completely closed off and dry all the time, no matter how much water I drink during the day and before hand (hint: it's a lot). I sense a lot of hoarseness in my screams too that has never been there before. I don't feel any meaningful pain, just a bit of soreness and gravelliness for about an hour or so after practicing. After a couple of hours I'm good to go. I'm not noticing any signs of meaningful damage of any kind, and I'm always super careful to be on the lookout for anything that might resemble symptoms of damage. I was screaming perfectly fine here or there not 3 or 4 months ago, but now I can barely muster anything over all of this hoarseness. I yell loudly at concerts and smoke marijuana quite frequently, but so do a lot of other vocalists I know. What the frak is going on?
Last edited by shinderhizzle84 at Jul 17, 2016,
gorkyporky
I like pie.
3,732 IQ
Quote by shinderhizzle84
I yell loudly at concerts and smoke marijuana quite frequently, but so do a lot of other vocalists I know. What the frak is going on?

Well this surely doesnt help. Before shows or recording, i usually stay pretty much silent at least one day before, if not two, dont drink anything else but room temperature water and lukewarm tea, and eat food that doesnt give me any acid reflux (i have a pretty big issue with that), much less smoke or yell. It could be that after a few years or months or whatever of abuse just decided that enough is enough? You are also saying you are 8 months out of practive. When i was 6 months out of practice, i pretty much had to relearn how to scream. Another option would be, that you are not comfortable with recording. I know that what i practice, my screams sound pretty good, at least to me, and it doesnt strain me very much. But when i record, for some reason i get performance anxiety or whatever, and my screaming sounds like a dying seal, and all sorts of pain and dry throat show up for no goddamn reason. Strangely, idont have that issue when i preform live. But yeah, could be that?
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
shinderhizzle84
Blood is Life...
640 IQ
Quote by gorkyporky
Well this surely doesnt help. Before shows or recording, i usually stay pretty much silent at least one day before, if not two, dont drink anything else but room temperature water and lukewarm tea, and eat food that doesnt give me any acid reflux (i have a pretty big issue with that), much less smoke or yell. It could be that after a few years or months or whatever of abuse just decided that enough is enough? You are also saying you are 8 months out of practive. When i was 6 months out of practice, i pretty much had to relearn how to scream. Another option would be, that you are not comfortable with recording. I know that what i practice, my screams sound pretty good, at least to me, and it doesnt strain me very much. But when i record, for some reason i get performance anxiety or whatever, and my screaming sounds like a dying seal, and all sorts of pain and dry throat show up for no goddamn reason. Strangely, idont have that issue when i preform live. But yeah, could be that?

I have been recording constantly since I started screaming and definitely don't have that problem, but thanks for the tip about lukewarm water.

The interesting thing about the smoking is that I'm home for now in New York state and haven't smoked once in over 10 days or so, and now my vocals are starting to sound like shit. I think, though, that I'm getting sick, because I woke up today really nauseous, with a hacking cough and horrible congestion, so maybe that's why I sounded so terrible last night.

Still, though, I've sounded terrible constantly these last 11 days or so of recording. I think I'm gonna try seeing an allergist. I don't think I have vocal nodes upon further research. From what I understand, vocal node symptoms show up even when you're not screaming, especially when you're singing, and even while you're talking--I don't have any of the symptoms while talking and my singing voice still sounds pretty great. I just can't access proper breath control and I can't access any of my head voice to give myself a nice timber, which is why I think my screaming has been so weak. I might try and see an allergist as soon as I'm home to see if he can treat my allergies, and potentially another ENT doctor to see if he can give me something to treat my acid reflux (GERD). Hopefully that, combined with a week or two of total rest, will help me out tremendously.
gorkyporky
I like pie.
3,732 IQ
Quote by shinderhizzle84

The interesting thing about the smoking is that I'm home for now in New York state and haven't smoked once in over 10 days or so, and now my vocals are starting to sound like shit. I think, though, that I'm getting sick, because I woke up today really nauseous, with a hacking cough and horrible congestion, so maybe that's why I sounded so terrible last night..

Did you smoke reguraly before? Might be just your body detoxing or whatever, like you are going trough a small withdrawl or whatever. I've never smoked, so i couldnt say, but i know that my friends who (tried) quitting smoking felt like shit for a while.
shinderhizzle84
Blood is Life...
640 IQ
Quote by gorkyporky
Did you smoke reguraly before? Might be just your body detoxing or whatever, like you are going trough a small withdrawl or whatever. I've never smoked, so i couldnt say, but i know that my friends who (tried) quitting smoking felt like shit for a while.

I mean marijuana is a non-addictive substance, it doesn't have any form of withdrawal period or anything, you can just stop it cold turkey and not worry about anything. I don't smoke cigarettes or tobacco or nicotine at all. It could just be that my regular smoking of marijuana has just dried out my throat and given me chronic allergy problems that I need to get treated by both cutting down on smoking and getting more intense allergy remedies from an ENT/allergist.

In other news, I'm definitely coming down with the flu, because I now have a fever, my voice is going away, and I'm horribly nauseous and congested, so maybe that's partially why I was so crappy last night.

I also think I strained my voice a bit when I first started rehearsing about 12 days ago. I screamed for the first time in almost a whole year and instead of working my way up to it and screaming for only 5-10 minutes, I screamed straight for about an hour and a half. Then, I did the exact same thing the very next day. I did both sessions without any form of warmup whatsoever. I'm gonna treat my allergies, wait until my flu is gone, give myself a 2 week vocal rest period, and then try working my way up to screaming perfection again by practicing every day for only 5-10 minutes. Also going to book another appointment with an ENT to get my throat checked out officially (gotta make sure everything is AOK no matter what) and try to get my deviated septum and GERD treated without having to go into surgery.
gorkyporky
I like pie.
3,732 IQ
shinderhizzle84

I meant if you smoked regular cigarettes. As far as i know, there is some withdrawl from that. Seems like you just overexerted yourself, and didnt give your voice time to heal. Maybe this flu is a blessing in disguise Get well!
shinderhizzle84
Blood is Life...
640 IQ
Quote by gorkyporky
shinderhizzle84

I meant if you smoked regular cigarettes. As far as i know, there is some withdrawl from that. Seems like you just overexerted yourself, and didnt give your voice time to heal. Maybe this flu is a blessing in disguise Get well!
Quote by gorkyporky
shinderhizzle84

Thanks bro. Yeah, that's what I think happened too. To anyone who might read this, learn from my mistakes, if you haven't practiced in a while, don't jump in with an hour and a half of screaming time, ease your way in with once-a-day 5 or 10 minute sessions :P
merriman44
857 IQ
I went to an ENT-Otolaryngologist. I was screaming 3-4 weeks later. I recorded some very nice pieces for this album by week 3. Essentially, you have to let everything heal enough that you aren't going to knock it out of place and you are good to go. Also, when you go in for the surgery, mention that you are a singer and they will use a smaller bore ET tube on you, THIS IS IMPORTANT. The ET tube has the potential to cause long term damage to the vocal cords, especially if a dumbass resident does it.

The computer interface you are using seems to be shite. What do you have? There is no reason for you to be clipping from your main computer if you have an off-board interface as it should be taking over for all sounds while active. I can probably help get this diagnosed for you (I used to work in IT). What OS are you using?

REfookedvoice: Days before you feel the symptoms of flu, your body is already fighting. The voice is one of the first places that tells you that you are not well. In this case, I think you were on your way down and that's why you had vocal issues. Also, one should never scream or sing for more than an hour. Can you? Oh yes, but you greatly increase your risk for vocal fatigue and then injury. Trained singers will tell you the same thing. Ironically, that's why broadway stars normally have such a short shelf life. They have to over use their voices night after night and the cords grow callused and inflexible.

Hope this helps!
gorkyporky
I like pie.
3,732 IQ
merriman44

Im just wondering, how did you figure out you had a deviated septum? Any particular symptoms, or did it just show up on an xray by accident?
shinderhizzle84
Blood is Life...
640 IQ
Quote by merriman44
I went to an ENT-Otolaryngologist. I was screaming 3-4 weeks later. I recorded some very nice pieces for this album by week 3. Essentially, you have to let everything heal enough that you aren't going to knock it out of place and you are good to go. Also, when you go in for the surgery, mention that you are a singer and they will use a smaller bore ET tube on you, THIS IS IMPORTANT. The ET tube has the potential to cause long term damage to the vocal cords, especially if a dumbass resident does it.

The computer interface you are using seems to be shite. What do you have? There is no reason for you to be clipping from your main computer if you have an off-board interface as it should be taking over for all sounds while active. I can probably help get this diagnosed for you (I used to work in IT). What OS are you using?

REfookedvoice: Days before you feel the symptoms of flu, your body is already fighting. The voice is one of the first places that tells you that you are not well. In this case, I think you were on your way down and that's why you had vocal issues. Also, one should never scream or sing for more than an hour. Can you? Oh yes, but you greatly increase your risk for vocal fatigue and then injury. Trained singers will tell you the same thing. Ironically, that's why broadway stars normally have such a short shelf life. They have to over use their voices night after night and the cords grow callused and inflexible.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, yeah, this helped a lot!

I am using an HP Envy TS17 laptop with Windows 10. I have downloaded the High-Definition HP Laptop sound drivers. I don't know what other information I can give you without running some sort of diagnostic (I only know how to do DXDiag and am not sure that would even help) and PM you the massive text file left over as a result. Additionally, I use the online downloadable drivers from the Focusrite website for my AI's sound drivers.