Ascendancy5
Tribulation Guitarist
2,009 IQ
I had stopped playing guitar for about a month or so since I've left for college, and now I'm back and I have been playing guitar for hours on end. However my calluses on my fingers have softened, so now it hurts to play songs and I can't bend strings easily anymore. Is there anything I can do to make them callus faster and harden the tips of my fingers? Thanks in advance for any advice
bellamy_morello
hello i'm mr... snrub
674 IQ
maybe run your fingers along the thicker strings but if they stary to peel stop
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
falconthefirst
192 IQ
Not really. Just play about 1 or 2 hours a day at minimum and they'll be fine in a week or so.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Ascendancy5
Tribulation Guitarist
2,009 IQ
Yeah I've been trying to keep my playing down so I don't get swollen or anything but it sucks because I wanna shred...
lostjesse
142 IQ
belt sander

don't do it i'm joking
And if I don't see ya, in a long, long while

I'll try to find you

Left of the dial
grimms
832 IQ
I never have callouses and I practice at least 3 - 6 hours a day.
But I have working hands anyway. It's weird.
Anthony1991
No Religion Or Mind Virus
961 IQ
Quote by ibanezgod1973
there was a myth that soaking them in vinegar helped but it`s just that - a myth

Probably dissolve your finger nails if you did that :P
Ascendancy5
Tribulation Guitarist
2,009 IQ
Quote by Anthony1991

Yeah not something I'm looking to do...
Jread
77 IQ
a dab of superglue on the tips of your fingers could help. but that'll eventually rub off and will prolly leave corrosive dust in your strings.
Anthony1991
No Religion Or Mind Virus
961 IQ
Just give it time they'll come back.

Tbh best thing to do - and this works for me - put new strings on, give your a fretboard a nice lemon oil clean. Then just play, the day after they come back solid. Works for me atleast
Bitches nBagels
are good
119 IQ
Quote by Sir Anonymous
If you want callouses play on heavier strings.

Play bass
Quote by WantsLesPaul
I get such a big rush from downloading torrents that I just have to cum all over my face right at that moment.
ibanezgod1973
Banned
170 IQ
Quote by Anthony1991

i said it was a myth.....acetic acid (vinegar) isn`t that strong, citric acid found in citrus fruits is stronger, it`ll just sting like hell if you have open cuts on your fingers.

best way to develop callouses is just play guitar and stop being paranoid about it.
larrytheguitar
UG's Only Wolf
4,718 IQ
Seriously, if you have a friend that has an acoustic guitar, borrow it. On acoustics, the action is higher and there's more tension. It'll give you callouses, AND boost your finger strength. Can't stress this enough, if you're an electric guitar player, mess around with an acoustic for a while and you'll see how difficult it is. I find it best to alternate them, keeping a pretty solid callous and finger strength.

BUT if no acoustic is available, just keep playing.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Chanter
21 IQ
Just play a little each day and in a wk you shall be fine meantime take it bit at a time and if sore stop for a break then try again and in a wk as i say you shall be fine ok.
mdlarouche
10 IQ
sometimes you are bored and your hand sits on a table and you're tapping your fingers....put some fairly coarse sandpaper under your fingers and tap away for a while.

Calluses are formed by the healing of the small cuts/scratches you create. No cuts... no calluses. No need to draw blood here.

Sandpaper gives a good coverage unlike a string.
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san
238 IQ
For fvck sakes, why the hell did you resurrect a thread that's over 3 years old? GTFO.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......
188 IQ
I've never had calluses but more like Leather finger tips.....its weird. But hell it works
The Rig of Joy:
Stiff Amplification Dirthead 20w
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
SSMMUURRFF69
Banned
10 IQ
Quote by Junior#1
For fvck sakes, why the hell did you resurrect a thread that's over 3 years old? GTFO.

Your a tard. I thought his sandpaper thing was a good idea. Whats wrong with bringing up an old post?
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san
238 IQ
There's no point in bringing a dead thread back to life. Obviously, all the questions in the thread have been answered or else someone would have kept it alive. There are other threads waiting for answers now. This thread is already solved. Let's let it die.

Also, the sandpaper thing is basically useless unless you plan on doing it for 5 hours straight or more (which could be better spent say playing guitar). The skin is too elastic and too strong for that to do anything.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
RyanStorm13
484 IQ
I have nice callus's from my cheap Ibanez Acoustic/Electric guitar with stock strings. I will hold chords especially barre chords and slide with them.

I will do it by listening to a song like Hotel California, and just repeat the rythem guitar throughout it, or play the main tunes to Too's Schism.

I have major major callus since I got this acoustic, its perfect for practicing cause its harder to play and the strings just tear my fingers up. I wonder if the tighter strings has anything to do with it.

I have actually been developing a callus along my entire index finger from holding the chords.
steven seagull
not really a seagull
1,064 IQ
Quote by mdlarouche
sometimes you are bored and your hand sits on a table and you're tapping your fingers....put some fairly coarse sandpaper under your fingers and tap away for a while.

Calluses are formed by the healing of the small cuts/scratches you create. No cuts... no calluses. No need to draw blood here.

Sandpaper gives a good coverage unlike a string.

Don't bump old threads just so you can share your masochistic tendencies with us
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com