Page 7 of 7
I'm looking at a couple of used guitars -- any feedback on Taylor BT2 Baby vs Epiphone Hummingbird? I currently use a classical guitar and find it a bit bulky for my strumming arm (I'm pretty short); I play rhythm guitar and (very simple) fingerstyle.
Quote by blueturtle
I'm looking at a couple of used guitars -- any feedback on Taylor BT2 Baby vs Epiphone Hummingbird? I currently use a classical guitar and find it a bit bulky for my strumming arm (I'm pretty short); I play rhythm guitar and (very simple) fingerstyle.

Hmmmm. The Baby Taylor is a nice little guitar, but it's still a little guitar. I'd try the fingering higher up the fretboard to see how it feels on both guitars. I've learned that short scale guitars can be more difficult to finger higher up the fretboard. If you don't plan on playing higher up the neck, doing barre chords or using capos, then it's a non-issue.

I'd also recommend checking out some of the parlor guitars. They are small, comfy axes to play. Generally I think they have wider necks than the travel guitars (so that should appeal to a guy used to classical). There was a thread a couple weeks ago about them.

Good luck.
I am working on barre chords and just starting with a capo, I wouldn't have thought of that, thanks.

I have tried a couple of parlour guitars (A&L, Seagull) and I'm on the fence about them. One was right out of the box so I don't know how that would affect how the strings played, but it didn't seem to stay in tune very long. Hopefully it's just the ones I've tried, because it would be a good option for me.
Last edited by blueturtle at Nov 30, 2015,
I am looking for a thin line acoustic electric. Right now I am playing a Boulder Creek Solitaire, which has amazing sound but because of a shoulder injury it's not so comfortable to play with its wide body. A ESP LTD Thin Line was suggested, it has a wide neck with jumbo frets--being a female with sm hands not sure about the ease of playing barre chords let alone standard chords. Any suggestions/thoughts would be appreciated.
Quote by mom24kids81
I am looking for a thin line acoustic electric. Right now I am playing a Boulder Creek Solitaire, which has amazing sound but because of a shoulder injury it's not so comfortable to play with its wide body. A ESP LTD Thin Line was suggested, it has a wide neck with jumbo frets--being a female with sm hands not sure about the ease of playing barre chords let alone standard chords. Any suggestions/thoughts would be appreciated.
You mean one of these?
The neck width is listed as 43mm. That's hardly a "wide neck". In fact it's very close to the average of steel string acoustics today. (In decimal form 1.6875 or 1 11/16").

I desperately want one of these, so I can stand up and do windmills with it, thereby indulging my paranoid delusions of Pete Townshend-hood. And they make it in a left hand edition...

First, you know it's not a "real acoustic" per se, and is going to need to be plugged in for anything other than quiet practice.

It has a, "shortish" scale. 25" as opposed to the typical dreadnought's 25.5", and just a touch longer than that of a Les Paul's 24.75". If I'm hearing you right, that should be a good thing. The small body and short scale will contribute greatly to ease of play. After that, it's simply a matter of choosing the right string set gauge to suit your ability.

As for the jumbo frets, if anything, they make a guitar easier to play, not harder.

Since the guitar is piezo only, acoustic strings would be the way to go. There are "hybrid" guitars with piezo & magnetic pickups which won't give of their best without nickel wound electric strings, but it does compromise the acoustic emulation a fair amount.

I'm going to go a bit out on a limb, and speculate the overall playing experience, with respect to body size and neck geometry, would be very similar to that of a Les Paul with a set of heavy-ish strings. Maybe .011 to .052's. You should try out a Les Paul
type guitar to determine if it would be comfortable for you to play in the seated position

The top is spruce which would indeed contribute to the acoustic impersonation:

Here's the guitar at ESP's website: http://www.espguitars.com/products/9492-tl-6-nat

I think if I had an extra nickel laying around, I'd buy a lefty one of these, string it up with acoustic custom lights (.011 to .052), and have a blast. Just try to keep in mind this guitar is not going to be the full on acoustic experience of a dreadnought by the campfire.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Dec 5, 2015,
Quote by Tony Done
The Taylor GS Mini is very nice, especially, IMO, the mahogany-top version, but it ain't cheap.

It doesn't sound like a small guitar.
Was my long winded and enthusiastic post about the TL-6 too electrically profane for this forum? Perspiring minds want to know.
Quote by Captaincranky
Was my long winded and enthusiastic post about the TL-6 too electrically profane for this forum? Perspiring minds want to know.

Nah, but my attention span is about like a termite these days. HTH As a performer, I could get excited about guitars like the TL-6, but as a back porch/man cave acoustic guitarist they do nothing for me.

I stuck to strictly acoustic, since that seemed to be the OP's interest.
Quote by Tony Done
...[ ]...I stuck to strictly acoustic, since that seemed to be the OP's interest.
Hmm, my bad. "Mom" hijacked the thread and I took the bait.

(Although from a technical standpoint, I'm not sure it's actually possible to hijack as sticky such as this)..
Another question -- solid top vs laminate top. My understanding is that laminate is more durable/less susceptible to changes in humidity, but solid top has a better sound.

I'm only playing for myself at home and would like to practice outside in the backyard while hanging out with my kids, have the guitar out in the house where the kids also live, on road trips, etc., without having to worry excessively about being too rough on the guitar. Is a laminate top really a lot tougher than a solid top? I'm only going to buy one guitar and while I'm not going to purposefully be rough on it, I don't want to decide not to bring it along play it because I'm worried about being too hard on it. I also live in a place with moderately humid summers and dry air indoors in the winter (eastern Ontario) and I'm not sure how big an issue that would be for a guitar I'm just playing for fun.

I'm asking because an Art & Lutherie Wild Cherry guitar came up on kijiji and I'm having a hard time pinning down info on it, but I think it's a laminate top.
Quote by blueturtle
Another question -- solid top vs laminate top. My understanding is that laminate is more durable/less susceptible to changes in humidity, but solid top has a better sound.

I'm only playing for myself at home and would like to practice outside in the backyard while hanging out with my kids, have the guitar out in the house where the kids also live, on road trips, etc., without having to worry excessively about being too rough on the guitar. Is a laminate top really a lot tougher than a solid top? I'm only going to buy one guitar and while I'm not going to purposefully be rough on it, I don't want to decide not to bring it along play it because I'm worried about being too hard on it. I also live in a place with moderately humid summers and dry air indoors in the winter (eastern Ontario) and I'm not sure how big an issue that would be for a guitar I'm just playing for fun.

I'm asking because an Art & Lutherie Wild Cherry guitar came up on kijiji and I'm having a hard time pinning down info on it, but I think it's a laminate top.
Art & Lutherie has a full spec page as I believe, do all of Godin's brands. http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/specs.htm

Solid tops not only sound better, but they project better as well.

As long as your guitar(s) won't be drying out during the summer, a hard shell case and an in case humidifier should get you through a couple of rough months.

If you use any kind of combustion non vented space heater, (kerosene, natural gas, propane), they produce water vapor. You can also put pans of water on radiators if you have them. Possibly boil off a big pot of water on the gas range from time to time. Every little bit of water vapor helps.

Have you read our humidity sticky yet? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=987641
Your laminated/solid premise is generally true, IMO, but you have to trust your ears. I've had a lot of fancy guitars over the years but my favourite for fingerpicking in quiet environment, where I don't need a banjo killer, has a laminated top. - And if I do need a banjo killer, I just plug it in.
Last edited by Tony Done at Dec 6, 2015,
Quote by Captaincranky
Art & Lutherie has a full spec page as I believe, do all of Godin's brands. http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/specs.htm

I looked at that but I couldn't figure out where a guitar just listed as "Wild Cherry" fit in. I've seen a couple on kijiji that just say "model: Wild Cherry," even on the pic of the label inside the guitar. It could be an Almond model, as they're cherry back & sides and laminated cherry top.

Quote by Captaincranky
Solid tops not only sound better, but they project better as well.

I'm still at the point where I'm not sure if that's a pro or a con for me... much of my practice time happens when my little kids are either asleep or trying to go to sleep. If I'm looking at playing for many years, though, that will eventually not be an issue any more.

Quote by Tony Done
I've had a lot of fancy guitars over the years but my favourite for fingerpicking in quiet environment, where I don't need a banjo killer, has a laminated top.

At this point, that is the kind of playing I'm often doing. It's worth at least trying it out.

Thanks! I appreciate all the help.
Quote by blueturtle
I looked at that but I couldn't figure out where a guitar just listed as "Wild Cherry" fit in. I've seen a couple on kijiji that just say "model: Wild Cherry," even on the pic of the label inside the guitar. It could be an Almond model, as they're cherry back & sides and laminated cherry top.
Well, Godin does use wild cherry B & S in more than one of their models. They're calling it a 'sustainable resource'. Point of fact, we may not have enough info yet.
Quote by blueturtle
I'm still at the point where I'm not sure if that's a pro or a con for me... much of my practice time happens when my little kids are either asleep or trying to go to sleep. If I'm looking at playing for many years, though, that will eventually not be an issue any more.
I can't speak to Tony's point about his Maton, as I don't believe I've ever seen one, laminated or otherwise. He does use it to a purpose, and also has other guitars. There are types of musical styles which would lend themselves to the truncated sustain and chunky sound of a laminated top. There are also good sounding laminated guitars, and very poor ones. Mood is a strong determining factor as well, as I find myself picking up a guitar according to the sound I feel like hearing. Bright. mellow, shrill, 12 string, even electric, it all has its transient, whim influenced place in 'guitar speak'.

However, I've sort of stashed my 2 laminate Ibanez away, and am concentrating on my Fender "Sonoran", and 2 Epiphone EJ-200-SCE's

The trouble with 'trying out" guitars is, more often than not they all sound pretty darn good when you first get them, especially in situations where you can't A/B test. And according to popular mythology, familiarity tends to breed contempt. (In all things, not just guitars. In fact, that's probably the single most salient reason for our 50+% divorce rate).

As for having a single guitar to the end of keeping peace in the household, it's not as though laminated tops are virtually silent. You're going to have to make additional concessions to play all night with either type of acoustic.

So, if I had to pick just one acoustic, or had a do over in what I'd already bought, it would be a solid top.

Quote by blueturtle
At this point, that is the kind of playing I'm often doing. It's worth at least trying it out.

Thanks! I appreciate all the help.
You're welcome.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Dec 6, 2015,
I am looking for advice on a new acoustic...currently playing a Freshman Apollo, with a LR Baggs pickup for live (going through a tc electronic Bodyrez pedal). It sounds okay but the advice I have had from a couple of very good sound engineers recently is to look for something old, with big sound, some roughness in the sound and plenty of bass and mid and that can take a very heavy strumming hand. I play in a folk/punk duo (with an electric fiddle). I include a link to last night's gig so you get an idea of what I'm playing and what sort of sound it currently has (this is the sound from the livestream which I think was a little thinner than the sound in the room).
Any advice gratefully received....

Here is a taste of what we play....https://youtu.be/P7QFY2dzjvg
Last edited by laurencealdridge at Dec 20, 2015,
Quote by laurencealdridge
...[ ].... but the advice I have had from a couple of very good sound engineers recently is to look for something old, with big sound, some roughness in the sound and plenty of bass and mid and that can take a very heavy strumming hand....[ ]....
Well, the Gibson J-200 meets most or all of those criteria. The trouble is they're worth close to &5000.00 I expect any of the Martin Dreadnought would do a lot of the same things.

You friendly local sound engineers, started you off at maybe the $2000.00 price point, and every adjective they added, tagged on another $500.00 to $750.00 dollars to the price...

Back in the real world, (and this is going to sound like a stupid question, but it's not), what gauge strings are you using on the guitar you have now?

Besides, "Freshman Apollo" is a brand, so you're not telling me the model number or by extension the body size/style.
Hello guys.

I'm looking for an acoustic guitar. My budget is around 500$. It must be Dreadnought and Cutaway with EQ.

I can't decide between:

Takamine GD93CE -NAT
Fender CD-320ASRWCE

Any suggestion?
I'm looking for an acoustic electric guitar.

I can't decide between :

Yamaha APX 500II
Yamaha APX 500III

So What is the best One Please helpppppppppp.....
Last edited by imanga.lashara at Feb 11, 2016,
i guess, nobody could tell you which guitar is better ... because you are unique, you need to try it, play it and see if this is the right tool that could connect your inside and outside.
trust your feelings, not ratings...
sometimes,it is better not to spend too much time and agonize about this or that instrument. whatever you choose, stick to it, learn your tool and as you get better you might be able to go deeper, explore and stumble upon something new and unexpected.
just play, have a fun and see where that road could take you ...

for those about to rock, i salute you,

berg

https://soundcloud.com/20cloud/hobby-virtuoso-o1-1
Hi I'm new here and wanted to share my buying experience to help anyone else looking for a decent/reasonably priced electro/acoustic guitar purchase.

I bought a gear4music budget jobbie £89 which looked and sounded beautiful on their website but when it arrived (next day) it was damaged. It took them 10 days to refund my payment and their customer service was abysmal. Check out their Ebay shop to see the hundreds of damaged acoustic/electro acoustic guitars they're trying to flog, I was astounded at the number, price and the pics, they are as thin as paper and cost £90+! Anyway, I started looking on Ebay and 2 or 3 sellers were selling brand new Tanglewood guitars rrp £350-500 and I checked prices online and they were correct, I bought one of the £350 ones for £91.50+£17.50 p&p insured courier and boxed twice! When it turned up (next day) it was streets different to the gear4music cheap,thin crap! The Tanglewood is solid spruce top, zebrano(zebrawood) sides and back with a mahogany neck and fishman preamp and built in tuner... I will never buy gear4music branded stuff again.

"Amplifiers sound best just before they explode!"
I'm just starting out playing and was looking to get a good solid guitar with a cutaway. With the budget range I have I've been recommended to get either the Fender CD-60CE or the CF-60CE.

Was just wondering which I should go for if any one has any advice, or if not more suggestions are welcome!
What is the difference between the Ibanez TCM50 and the TMC50E. Looking to buy, brand new TMC50E is cheaper it would seem, but I can't find the difference.

Quote by Dave_Mc
^ I'm not sure. It's entirely possible they're the same (they don't look much different) but you might be better to ask in the acoustic forum to find out for sure.
Quote by jdflipside
What is the difference between the Ibanez TCM50 and the TMC50E. Looking to buy, brand new TMC50E is cheaper it would seem, but I can't find the difference.
I actually found the same price on both models, 219 Pound Sterling.

Here: http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/guitars/electroacoustic/15950-ibanez-tcm50-talman-electro-acoustic-guitar-in-vintage-brown-sunburst#fullDesc

and here: http://www.musicroom.com/se/id_no/0703825/details.html

Even at Amazon I come up with Amazon.uk, when I plug in the "E" suffix So "E-urope' "E-xport" "(Just a couple of wild/bizarre guesses). All Talmans are electro acoustic, "plug me ins", and it appears the "sunburst" appears on both E and non E models as well.

The first 2 customer reviews on this Amazon.uk page pretty well sum up what you'll be getting in a frank and forthright manner. (Decent reviews in general, but with a few reservations). https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ibanez-Talman-TCM50E-vintage-sunburst/dp/B0016MJFL6#productDetails

None of the Talman series would be on my radar as "my next guitar", but I'm into big bodies and 12 strings. Thus, I can't speak to your needs.

I hope that helps.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 24, 2016,
^ Yeah I sent him here, I assumed the E meant very little (maybe European, or Export, as you said, or I thought maybe "electronics" which would mean little since that model all has electronics), but I don't know much about acoustics so I figured it was better for you acoustic players to tell him for sure.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by Dave_Mc
^ Yeah I sent him here, I assumed the E meant very little (maybe European, or Export, as you said, or I thought maybe "electronics" which would mean little since that model all has electronics), but I don't know much about acoustics so I figured it was better for you acoustic players to tell him for sure.
Yeah well, 9+ times out of 10, the "E" does stand for electronics. Thus, in this case the "E" designation doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

If it did, and if as the TS states, "the TMC50E is cheaper", Ibanez, (or that particular dealer), would have to be pulling the best hoax ever Take out the electronics and charge more for the guitar? That's just flat out rude.

There is also an additional set of suffix letters which at least by the Ibanez, (and many other company's) standards, are used to indicate first finish, and later right or left hand orientation.

However, if you put up "TCM50" (No "E"), all of the search results, (save for one), returned, are from dealers in the USA...
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 25, 2016,
Yep that was pretty much exactly what I was thinking. I'd be tempted to say they're the same, except that's easy for me to say since it's not my money on the line I'd probably contact Ibanez to see what it says.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 25, 2016,
Dave_Mc OK Dave, here's Ibanez' page on Talmans: http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_ag_shape16.php?&year=2016&cat_id=3&ag_shap

Here's the pages on the only 2 models they're showing:

TCM50 (no "E") : http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_ag_detail.php?year=2016&cat_id=3&series_id=91&data_id=84&color=CL01

Note, magnetic pickup at bridge, and 2 finishes, "tbs" (a sunburst), & "nt" (natural).

And the "TCY10E" << hooray, I found an "E"

www.ibanez.com/products/u_ag_detail.php?year=2016&cat_id=3&series_id=91&data_id=84&color=CL01 It's a piezo "piece-sa"
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 25, 2016,
^ Yep when I checked the ibanez site there was no "E" with the 50 model.

Maybe even a mistake by the online store selling the thing? Wouldn't be the first time I'd noticed a mistake on an online store. I'd definitely want to check first to be sure, though, just in case.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Dave_Mc OK, here's a simple solution, if you want a "Talman" (electric),

just buy a Stratocaster:

If you want an Ibanez, "Talman" electro-acoustic:

^^Note the SC pickup in the neck position whether the guitar is "E" or "otherwise".
Just buy a Fender "Stratoocoustic:

On a side note, don't these big dealers in Europe and the UK have telephones? I shop online, then buy with the handy toll free number provided on the web page. Why, you can even ask questions of a live person.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 26, 2016,
^ haha

and yeah i guess, but i'm always a bit wary of phoning- been told stuff before over the phone which was wrong
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Quote by Dave_Mc
and yeah i guess, but i'm always a bit wary of phoning- been told stuff before over the phone which was wrong
Agreed, there are pros and cons using the telephone.

There are mitigating circumstances. First, it's hard to get good help these days. So, they not be lying, they simply may not know.

OTOH, if you do get bad info, you can still send it back, regardless.

Now, depending on what country you're calling from, with respect to consent for taping a call, one or both parties, you can always record the call. After all, they always ask for consent so they can tape you, turnabout is presumably, "fair play", is it not?
Yeah absolutely. And yeah it may well be an honest mistake but the end result is still the same

And pros and cons to email as well- they may just ignore the email, or it may go to the spam folder, or they may not respond as quickly as you'd like.

and yeah i'd have no problem with the customer taping the call but unless you're already set up to do that it's a lot easier to have proof with an email
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

You can contact me on how to purchase a guitar. I have personally 23 and I play all types of guitar at work. Here is a video you may enjoy on a cool acoustic guitar
Last edited by facebook206 at Aug 17, 2016,
blueturtleThe Big Baby Taylor is your best bet.. It sounds big and plays real smooth, I have played a few of them and sell them as well.
Here is a video of a small martin and my contact informaion:
Hope this helps, these are tips I give to most newbies. I personally believe if you can you should go and see/play the guitar yourself

1.Go to a few guitar stores
2.Stick to your budget, being a beginner your ear isn’t quite trained yet and you’ll probably notice very little between guitars varying a few hundred dollars in price.
3. if you have small hands see if there are any beginner guitars with a thin neck.
4.try out a few guitars that are in your price range in different areas in the store (this is to test for different acoustics) and see how they feel in your hands. Does it feel comfortable? Does it look good?
5. Once you’re adamant on the guitar you want take a photo of the label (make, model), go away to a café and do your research. Check all the online reviews
6.Finally go back to the store, double check the guitar for any damage, scratches, chips or anything that doesn’t look right and purchase. Find out what the return policy is.

I always recommend seeing the guitar physically and trying before you buy however if you come across an awesome deal online or going to a physical store is not an option then take it providing the vendor is trusted and has a good return policy as previously stated your ear isn’t quite trained so it doesn’t matter too much which one you purchase at the start.

The one thing I’ve learnt over the years is that each guitar produces a different sound and it doesn’t matter what guitar you’re using now you’ll always be on the lookout for another one

Hope this helps

Mike