Page 4 of 4
I am upgrading my basswood body esp f 50 with emg x actives but am confused b/w 81x/60x and 81x/85x and 85x/60x. I play through a solid state laney lx20r 15w amp without any pedals or units. I play heavy metal and a little bit of everything. Which is the best sounding pickup combo? Any sort of suggestions or help is welcome. Thanx
Well honestly, you won't get the full benefits of the active pickups with a SS amp. The EMGs will sound fine through it though but they sound even better through a good tube amp. With that in mind, I'd say either the 81x & 85x or the 81x & 60x combo. The 85x has a little more bass than the 60x. The 60x is a more middy pickup. So think about what you're gonna be playing and get the one you think will work best.
ok i bought a set of blackout from ebay but i dont have the wiring kit and i cant find one anywhere... do you know where i could purchase one from??
So, doing the reversible mod, is there anything that one should look out for? Are their any con's to doing it that way?
Quote by theogonia777
Lefthandedkid is super awesome, ja?

Quote by rgrockr
I guess fire extinguishers have to be filled with something other than fire retardant now, because apparently that's offensive.

Watch my stream?
Alright, thank you

looks like I'll be buying some electrical tape and some harnesses!
Quote by theogonia777
Lefthandedkid is super awesome, ja?

Quote by rgrockr
I guess fire extinguishers have to be filled with something other than fire retardant now, because apparently that's offensive.

Watch my stream?
I have a question for y'all. Being someone who doesn't dabble much in actives and such, I was wondering where I could get a compatible switch for my EMG solderless kit. I'm thinking of ordering this kit but the guitar I'm installing the EMG's in is an Explorer with a 3 way toggle switch, and I haven't been able to find a usable switch. If I have to cut one of the solderless jacks to solder to the switch, I can do that, but a completely solderless system would be preferred.

Thanks
^^^With the solderless set you cut the wires from the switch(leave some length) then they plug into the control unit. You just push the wire in whatever slot it's supposed to go into then you tighten down the screw. Your existing 3-way is perfectly fine.
"For we are nothing without brotherhood and brotherhood is nothing without our brothers" -We Came As Romans
Last edited by xkreedx at May 19, 2011,
alfguitar992, yes you can do a HSH configuration with EMGs, Blackouts or a combo of both. How it's wired depends on which ones you're using. The EMG 81TW & 89 have 5 wires and most other EMGs & Blackouts only have 3, so if you're using them it changes the wiring.
So, I just finished wiring up the 18V mod on my Schecter Loomis with EMG 707's. The verdict is.. It sounded like crap. I did an A/B comparison between the two (didn't make any clips though) and the 18V mod made the low end very muddy, dropped the high end, and boosted the mids making my guitar sound like I was using the middle pickup position. Gave it a horrible twangy sound (the guitar has a maple neck so I don't want more twang) I removed all the clips and went back to regular 9V. Much happier now. I guess it's just not meant for this guitar, or my ears.
I have 2 x EMG89s (one is an 89R) installed in a guitar. At present I have only 1 xV and 1 x T pot installed (the tone pot is an EMG-EXG pot). The pickup switching is done by toggle switch for the front or rear pickup and 2 x DPDTs for the Single Coil or Dual Coil options on each pickup.

At present all works well with a mashup of both soldered parts & the bufferboard & solderless connections.

What I would LIKE to do is to incorporate an EMG-SPC tone pot as well, and have a 1 x Master V, 1 x SPC and 1 x EXG.

I noticed on page 1 of this great Thread that there are wires from the pickup going to the DPDT switching that say : "Single Coil Preamp out" (White) & "Dual Coil Preamp out" (Green).

Is it at all possible to configure the SPC into the single coil circuits only via the SC Out wiring and the EXG through the Dual Coil out wiring only, so the applicable tone pots could be used? (The EMG blurb announces that the SPC is for the SC pickups and the EXG is for a dual coil pickup.) Given the respective graphic EQ curves these tone pots take, an EXG is not helpful for the SC side of things & I'd doubt the SPC would assist the dual coil pickup.

Any thoughst would be most helpful.

Cheers
Hi guys! excellent thread, will try the mod on two of my guitars. Now, a question, I have a Fender electroacustic guitar with a Fishman pickup. Has anyone tried the mod on a pickup for acoustics? what was the result? thanks!
So if the emg x series are ment to be the equivalent of of and 18v mod... What were to happen if you were to do an 18v mod to the range?
Quote by shredzilla19
So if the emg x series are ment to be the equivalent of of and 18v mod... What were to happen if you were to do an 18v mod to the range?

They're not quite the same. The 18V mod gives more clean headroom to a regular EMG, but it doesn't change the super-compressed tone of the pickup. The EMG-X series were revoiced to be warmer and more organic, with new preamps. They have more headroom and a more organic tone out of the box, but the 18V mod should give them more headroom still - they're still rated up to 27V, like the older models.
Quote by -MintSauce-
They're not quite the same. The 18V mod gives more clean headroom to a regular EMG, but it doesn't change the super-compressed tone of the pickup. The EMG-X series were revoiced to be warmer and more organic, with new preamps. They have more headroom and a more organic tone out of the box, but the 18V mod should give them more headroom still - they're still rated up to 27V, like the older models.

Ok cool, just because I'm dying to replace my 707s (can't stand them) and wasn't sure what the x range was lol
I've heard that actives don't voice the wood of the guitar as well as passives do, is that true or not?
Did the 18 volt reversible thing on my 2000 Les Paul standard with EMG 81/85. Plenty of room in cavity. I think it gives a thicker more ballsy sound. Definitely going to stick with it. I have another with the dragonfire 81/85 version and also one with GFS REDActives. Do you think it's safe to try this on both of those? I can't see 18 volts being enough to really screw anything up.
I have an EMG 85/81 with 1 volume 1 tone and a EMG three way. It works fine with a standard 1/4 inch cable, but with a stereo cable the volume doesn’t work. It's just always on.

Anyone have any idea what’s going on?