Page 31 of 31
Hiya, all - as I'm not allowed to post proper threads yet, let's see if I get a response here.

I've been learning some acoustic percussive fingerstyle (yeah, I know - all the rage, sheep, blah blah) - but one thing I've noticed is some of my hammer ons and taps sound the same as when the pickups are a mess on an electric - like there's an overtone that is out of tune with the main itself. When I play the note normally it sounds great, but when hammered or tapped there doesn't appear to be anything I can do do stop it.

It seems to get worse the higher the fret I tap or hammer at, and is noticeable on all strings. I'm using D'Addario 13s, and it happens when I'm tuned on everything from standard right down to CFCFAbC.

Any ideas?

EDIT: It appears to lessen when I mute the string BEHIND my fretting hand, but also reduces the sustain of the notes significantly. Looks like it's related to the height of the strings over the frets near the one I'm using - the position up from the fret I'm using looks like it's not far enough away from the string and is causing the second note. Think it's a setup job for a guitar tech.
Last edited by n00bsys0p at Feb 14, 2016,
HEY! My low E string broke and I need help because i have no idea where to buy one or how to know what kind to get. Someone help? Also it's an acoustic.
Quote by helen_friend
HEY! My low E string broke and I need help because i have no idea where to buy one or how to know what kind to get. Someone help? Also it's an acoustic.

Most music stores sell guitar strings. You can also order them online. I get them through Amazon.

Also you need to determine if the strings are steel or nylon. Doesn't matter which, you can get both types equally easy, you just don't want to order the wrong type for your guitar.
Hi all!! Totally new on here and in the acoustic world. I'm completely overwhelmed with the options. I have the choice to get a Taylor 110 or a ns32ce. I have no idea of the differences and want some professional feedback. Pros and cons? Thanks!!
Quote by Angelinthesky1
Hi all!! Totally new on here and in the acoustic world. I'm completely overwhelmed with the options. I have the choice to get a Taylor 110 or a ns32ce. I have no idea of the differences and want some professional feedback. Pros and cons? Thanks!!
You should start your own thread on the topic, as opposed to this venue, which is actually, idle chit chat.

Start by telling us what experience you have, (if any), with guitar, what your budget is, whether you are right or left handed, anything which might limit your choice of instrument, (say body size)...., and so forth.

Brace yourself though, you'll get plenty of opinions, most of which will be quite worthwhile.

You can also read the sticky: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233360

The thread isn't completely up to date with respect to model numbers and such, but has a lot of good info nonetheless.
Hi guys. Can anyone please recommend a good beginners book for classical guitar? I'm looking for a thick book full of pieces that start easy and increase in difficulty as you become more experienced. I'd like to get into classical and don't mind shelling out for a great book. I'd appreciate any help you can provide.
Does anybody know where I can purchase a Mr. Potato guitar online? I have been searching EVERYwhere and just can't seem to find one. Mr. Potato guitars are friggin' awesome and I want another one. The only problem is that the store is in South Korea and I can't find an online place to purchase another one. Somebody, Please Help!!! Thank you!
Played through Antoine Dufour's "Into Your Heart" for the first time in over a year today, forgot how fun that song is.

Also broke out my Washburn to do it, I don't want to be slapping around on my Edwinson
My God, it's full of stars!
Also, I have some finish cracks along the sides of my Edwinson where some of the woods meet (not surprising, from what I can gather, based on the intricacy of the woods and the age of the instrument, about 8 years), and one of which seems to also be actual crack/separation of the woods.

This is a first experience for me, as the finish has definitely become less than perfect in a few spots, but I've messaged Steve (the luthier behind Edwinson guitars) with a picture of the crack to get his take on it. This is not a guitar that I want to experiment self-help fixes on.

For those interested I've included a pic. (The wood you see is laminate sides on top of the solid wood)

Tony Done

Unfortunately no. I think that the bigger culprit is the heat, as our house here in Washington state isn't air conditioned (most aren't.) I've tried to keep her safe, but I could have been more careful in retrospect. We're moving soon, and our new house will definitely have A/C and a humidified room for my guitars.
I'll be taking her up to a Seattle store with a recommended luthier/repair tech to get the rest of the work one. Really I just want to fix the current crack(s) and do enough repair work (if possible) to stop other finish cracks from developing into more separation.

This is one of the earlier guitars he made, and it's by far still my favorite acoustic that I've played (and the most beautiful TBH), so I would really like to steel it against the future and keep it in great condition.

On a side note, I'm trying out some D'Addario Nickel Bronze strings on her, and I like the way they sound so far, but I'm either crazy or they're leaving a metal powder residue under my nails and on my fingers

Also played this baby today and she was NICE. However, someone made the terrible decision to put some very dull nickel-wound strings on her, pretty odd choice IMO given the size and shape of this particular model. Either way, she still played and sounded great.

Also, this thing was a hellacious fingerpicker for a Martin. Probably my favorite Martin that I've ever played.

Those were the two notable guitars I fiddled around on. And a Taylor 814
Played a Froggy Bottom guitar for the first time today (unknown model from 2006, might be a C) and it was great. It was in fantastic condition, so I can only assume the previous owner more or less didn't play it.

I would love to try their Will Ackerman signature

I'm going to miss the plethora of great guitar shops here in Seattle once I move
Quote by Dreadnought
Tony Done

Unfortunately no. I think that the bigger culprit is the heat, as our house here in Washington state isn't air conditioned (most aren't.) I've tried to keep her safe, but I could have been more careful in retrospect. We're moving soon, and our new house will definitely have A/C and a humidified room for my guitars.
I thought the Pacific Northwest was notoriously damp, with somewhat cool summers. Not so?

Even here in the Delaware Valley, summer is more likely to bulge soundboards, than crack them
The weather here is fairly mild, and usually damp yes, but in a home without A/C, the house can get up to 80 degrees in the summer, sometimes hotter upstairs.