Page 7 of 7
Wild_Impala
Registered Loser
50 IQ
They Might Be Giants - Flood.
also, Syd Barrett - Madcap Laughs,
and some Ween is definitely needed maybe chocolate and cheese or quebec... or white pepper... or mollusk... i like ween.

oh yeah and id throw shot or liar by jesus lizard on there aswell, expected deerhoof's offend maggie to be on there also.

haha grandaddys sophtware slump aswell, come on guys, lets put all the albums i like on there
Last edited by Wild_Impala at Aug 3, 2013,
The Virtuoso
L'Étranger
3,915 IQ
I don't claim to know much about Alternative and Indie, but I like bands such as: Radiohead, Joy Division, Portishead, Modest Mouse, Interpol, Arcade Fire, Sigur Ros, Sonic Youth, The National, etc.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend something akin to Joy Division (Unknown Pleasures), Interpol (Turn on the Bright Lights), or The National (High Violet)? Really I just want something depressing with droning baritone vocals.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
jiminizzle
Lost Pilot
2,775 IQ
I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness - Fear is On Our Side

Also might like Cold Cave

both draw pretty heavily on Joy Division and Interpol (and a lot on New Order, honestly). All of the other albums by the national are worth listening to also. Alligator is probably the best. Boxer is great too. The new one is really good as well. Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers and S/T both have some of their best moments too.

Also check out Morphine. This song isn't really indicitive of the rest of the album which grooves a lot harder, but it's really nice.

Maybe bill callahan/smog also? Not as upbeat as what you mentioned, though some of his later stuff is more so than this song.

Also, I still think one of the early springsteen albums should be on the main list.
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Callum Pennock
77 IQ
I know people on this website hate Oasis for some reason but Definitely maybe or (Whats the Story) Morning Glory? should be on this list.

Both albums have stood the test of time and WTSMG is in the top 5 best selling UK albums of all time.

Another album that's often under-rated is "Singles Going Steady" by The Buzzcocks. It was way ahead of it's time. It sounds like something out of the 2000's alt scene rather than the 70's punk era.

The debut Presidents of the United States Album is also a great alt rock album. It's a perfect blend of the raw sounds of grunge and the energy of alt rock.

There's also no Arctic Monkeys on the list WHAT THE ****? THIS LIST IS BULLSHIT!

A few other Ideas:
Beck - Modern Guilt (2008)
Killers - Hot Fuss (2004)
DashBoard Confessionals - A Mark, A Mission, A Band, A Scar (2003)
Lit - A Place in the Sun (1999)
Costello Music - Fratellis (2007)
The Ramones Debut Album
Yuck - Yuck (2011)
Smith Westerns - Soft Will (2013)

I also feel like the 2000-2008 section is more Indie than Alt. I listened to alt radio stations that whole decade and none of those brilliant albums are on your list...
ManInTheBox14
In lesbians with you
100 IQ
Quote by Callum Pennock
I know people on this website hate Oasis for some reason but Definitely maybe or (Whats the Story) Morning Glory? should be on this list.

Both albums have stood the test of time and WTSMG is in the top 5 best selling UK albums of all time.

Another album that's often under-rated is "Singles Going Steady" by The Buzzcocks. It was way ahead of it's time. It sounds like something out of the 2000's alt scene rather than the 70's punk era.

The debut Presidents of the United States Album is also a great alt rock album. It's a perfect blend of the raw sounds of grunge and the energy of alt rock.

There's also no Arctic Monkeys on the list WHAT THE ****? THIS LIST IS BULLSHIT!

A few other Ideas:
Beck - Modern Guilt (2008)
Killers - Hot Fuss (2004)
DashBoard Confessionals - A Mark, A Mission, A Band, A Scar (2003)
Lit - A Place in the Sun (1999)
Costello Music - Fratellis (2007)
The Ramones Debut Album
Yuck - Yuck (2011)
Smith Westerns - Soft Will (2013)

I also feel like the 2000-2008 section is more Indie than Alt. I listened to alt radio stations that whole decade and none of those brilliant albums are on your list...

Oasis sucks and sales don't equate to essential.

I don't care about Buzzcocks.

POTUS are far from essential.

Arctic Monkeys are alright but their only great album is Whatever People Say I Am... and idk if that needs a spot on the list.

Modern Guilt is Beck's worst album, Hot Fuss is good but hardly alt, Dashboard Confessional is already on the list in the Pop-Punk/Emo Essentials thread I'm pretty sure (though idk if that's the album that is) and it's not alt or indie, lol @ Lit, Fratellis had like 2 cool songs but I don't think anyone would call them essential, I've never listened to Yuck but I read somewhere that they're just like Dinosaur Jr. wannabes or something, and nothing should go on an "essentials" list the year it comes out, much less Smith Westerns.

The "alt" radio stations you were listening to were probably mostly playing radio-friendly modern rock.
bradulator
normcore
2,477 IQ
Buzzcawks rule

everything else does not though
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Callum Pennock
77 IQ
Quote by ManInTheBox14
Oasis sucks and sales don't equate to essential.

I don't care about Buzzcocks.

POTUS are far from essential.

Yeah this is why this thread is pointless, instead of stating reasons why albums are essential or not you say "Oasis sucks" and "I don't care about Buzzcocks"

Also, if the Blue album by Weezer is on here than Def Maybe by Oasis should be on here no questions asked.

And yeah sales don't mean anything but the fact WTSMG is an indie album in a top 5 best selling albums list with the likes of an ABBA compilation, a Queens Compilation, and SGT Pepper's, that must mean that the album is influential right??
Last edited by Callum Pennock at Nov 3, 2013,
ManInTheBox14
In lesbians with you
100 IQ
Quote by Callum Pennock
Yeah this is why this thread is pointless, instead of stating reasons why albums are essential or not you say "Oasis sucks" and "I don't care about Buzzcocks"

Also, if the Blue album by Weezer is on here than Def Maybe by Oasis should be on here no questions asked.

And yeah sales don't mean anything but the fact WTSMG is an indie album in a top 5 best selling albums list with the likes of an ABBA compilation, a Queens Compilation, and SGT Pepper's, that must mean that the album is influential right??

The Blue Album is highly influential and brought a new sound into mainstream music. Unlike anything Oasis did.

And no, sales don't mean it's influential, either. Who has Oasis influenced? Also, calling Oasis an indie band is like calling the Beatles a metal band.
Callum Pennock
77 IQ
Firstly people say Nirvana is a indie band all the time and their record label is much larger than Oasis's. Sure eventually Creation died and was bought by Sony, but during the peak of Oasis the place was run out of a dive with lyrics and drunk ramblings written all over the walls from bands recording there.

Also, Oasis not influential? Not to be a country biased or anything but the only reason you say that is because you are from America. Just about every Alt/indie band from the UK during the 2000's has cited Oasis as an influence. Jake Bugg, Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian, the Killers, The Vines even Billie Joe from Greenday has said Oasis influenced him (Beulevard of Brokens dreams *cough* *cough*).

I'm not trying to be some sort of crazy Oasis fan but I'm just saying either there are albums on this list that shouldn't be there because like you said "it's not influential" or more should be added.
neidnarb11890
adbot
270 IQ
i never heard anyone say nirvana are indie, that's dumb, but they are definitely 'alternative.'
still can't believe ramones are still not on here, though. wake up, uhh_me?.
ManInTheBox14
In lesbians with you
100 IQ
Quote by Callum Pennock
Firstly people say Nirvana is a indie band all the time and their record label is much larger than Oasis's. Sure eventually Creation died and was bought by Sony, but during the peak of Oasis the place was run out of a dive with lyrics and drunk ramblings written all over the walls from bands recording there.

Also, Oasis not influential? Not to be a country biased or anything but the only reason you say that is because you are from America. Just about every Alt/indie band from the UK during the 2000's has cited Oasis as an influence. Jake Bugg, Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian, the Killers, The Vines even Billie Joe from Greenday has said Oasis influenced him (Beulevard of Brokens dreams *cough* *cough*).

I'm not trying to be some sort of crazy Oasis fan but I'm just saying either there are albums on this list that shouldn't be there because like you said "it's not influential" or more should be added.

First off, here's an excerpt from the OP that might answer all of your questions:
Quote by uhh_me?
But hey! Here are some things that it isn't about: Foo Fighters, that song you heard last week on the radio, that thing getting pumped by the NME.

Okay. Nirvana wasn't indie, though they were on a label (Sub Pop) for a time that was and is still an indie label. Nobody defines indie as the size of a record label anymore. If you really want to define it based on label size, you may want to realize that Creation didn't even sign Oasis til after they'd sold to Sony, anyways.

Oasis isn't really important at all though. Sure, they've influenced some bands, but the ones that aren't clones took a hell of a lot more influence from everyone else that influenced them - listen to any of the bands you mentioned (at least two of which are American, by the way, and at least one is Australian) and you'll hear that.

Pretty much every album on this list is very influential (at least more so than Oasis) or is at least very helpful in building a working understanding of alternative/indie music.

Unrelated: @uhh_me? or whoever is in charge of this thread anymore, can we start adding more post-2006ish stuff now? I feel like music moves fast enough that we could at least put some stuff from 2010/11 on here and the newest thing as of now is from 08.
Callum Pennock
77 IQ
Look just listen to either DM or WTSMG with fresh ears. This is supposed to be essential albums that anyone interested in Indie/Alt should listen to. Okay sure WTSMG or DM isn't for everyone just like how Okay Computer isn't for everyone, and the people that like OC probably don't like other things on the list like the Blue album (Just sayin').

And yeah I understand its not just a list of everyone's favorite albums and what not, but Oasis doesn't ever seem to get much credit just because of that fact. They are totaly mental and their fans are just as mad, but then again it makes for great concerts and funny interviews, and we can't have every band being goodie goodie two shoe's, it would just get boring! We need the Who's, the Oasis's, The Sex Pistols, if for no other reason but just to bring some raw emotions into a world orchestration and order...

anyways I'm sure Oasis wont ever get on here w/e...

On un-related news, Grouplove - "never trust a happy song" was pretty influential (2011)

The black keys, and the national, also have some albums from recent years that should go in the post 2008 lull.
Last edited by Callum Pennock at Nov 4, 2013,
roushsn95
21 IQ
@ManInTheBox14 -

In fairness to Oasis, from the mid to the end of the decade they were one of the biggest bands in the US and especially UK. I'm not a fan of theirs but I'm not going to deny that Definitely Maybe and (What's the Story) Morning Glory were among the biggest and essential alternative albums of the 90's. I was in HS when those albums came out. Everyone was listening to them, especially WTSMG.

I'm sure if the Gallagher brothers weren't so arrogant, they'd be more relevant today.

Also, Coldplay and Maroon 5 are also apparently influenced by them. Pretty small time bands, ya?
ManInTheBox14
In lesbians with you
100 IQ
Quote by Callum Pennock
On un-related news, Grouplove - "never trust a happy song" was pretty influential (2011)

The black keys, and the national, also have some albums from recent years that should go in the post 2008 lull.

I love Never Trust a Happy Song but it's not really influential and it's not essential. The Black Keys aren't alternative or indie. I'm not super big on The National but they should probably be on the list.
Last edited by ManInTheBox14 at Nov 5, 2013,
uhh_me?
schmendrick.
3,608 IQ
Real talk: Oasis is an awful band and I will judge you harshly for liking them GG, not shocked that you like them. I don't know why people like Nirvana. Only thing that they had going for them was that Cobain liked better bands than his own.

Yes, we can start talking about more recent additions.
genghisgandhi
Kristaps Porzingis
4,337 IQ
Quote by uhh_me?
Real talk: Oasis is an awful band and I will judge you harshly for liking them GG, not shocked that you like them. I don't know why people like Nirvana. Only thing that they had going for them was that Cobain liked better bands than his own.

Yes, we can start talking about more recent additions.

I started liking their big songs since I came to Manchester because literally everyone I know likes them and plays them whenever they can.
genghisgandhi
Kristaps Porzingis
4,337 IQ
Quote by uhh_me?
Tsk-tsk. If everyone in "Manchester" were jumping off a bridge, would you jump too?

jumping off a bridge isn't as catchy as Don't Look Back in Anger

and ftr Joy Division is far and away the best Manchester band.
bradulator
normcore
2,477 IQ
When you say "Joy Division" do you actually mean "New Order" ???
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
smartggo
10 IQ
I listen to some indie rock from Japan. List:
Number Girl - Super Young
Number Girl - Teenage Casualties
Toe - Two Moons
Toe - tremolo+delay
Toe - Japanese Title
the cabs - Bokutachi ni Ashita wa Nai (There is no Tomorrow for Us)
the cabs - Nigatsu no Heitai (Soldiers of February)

I am making a bass tab on the song "Super Young" right now; it is kind of coming along due to my excellent hearing of the bass in the song.
inqubater
10 IQ
The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - Belong
Silversun Pickups - Carnavas
Mew - Frangers
Yuck - Yuck

Please recommend me any bands or albums similar to these.
Trivial_Pursuit
54 IQ
The Jungle Giants- Mr. Polite
Ballpark music- sad rude future dude
Grouplove- Itchin' on a photograph
STRFKR-while I'm alive
Phoenix- trying to be cool
San Cisco- No friends