Page 383 of 383
SYLrules88
I Play Drums!
1,273 IQ
hell yeah, finally snagged an electric drumkit of my own. I borrowed one from a friend several years ago and it made my writing process a lot more enjoyable. I usually don't mind programming the drum in pro tool but it can be really time consuming to input all of the fills that I want to. plus, a lot more stuff comes up as im playing that I never think of when im programming it. pics and of course a video to come hopefully soon. debating on a cover snippet or a short original thing for the clip hope everyone's enjoying their spring! or uh fall I guess if you're an Aussie

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

bjgrifter
Aspiring Djentleman
651 IQ
The idea popped into my head too, but it's on the wishlist for now. I'm going to mess around with some recording and a noise gate pedal.
Guitars:
Squire Bullet Strat, Schecter Damien 6, Washburn WG-587 & RX10
Amp/Effects:
Peavy Vypyr 30, ISP Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.
BCKRedBaron
Registrar'd Loser
131 IQ
Alright, so I'm kinda waffling back and forth on selling my Carvin. I'm not real comfortable with putting it up on Craigslist, and I know selling it in the music store here in town on consignment isn't gonna work out in my favor. But let me get to my point. If I decide to keep it, I'll probably end up swapping out pickups, but Carvin has an odd mount for their stock pickups. Here's what I'm talking about:

You can see on one side the mount tab is wider and there's two screws. So what's my options here? Would it be easier/less risky to drill a new hole in the guitar for a single-screw mount or try to drill two holes on the pickup mount ear?
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE-3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto Ace - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
bjgrifter
Aspiring Djentleman
651 IQ
Spent some time with the 587. Hadn't actually set it up in my ecitement, so I lowered the action a little and messed with the pixk up height. I haven't been really satisfied with the 59 for the low B string, since I've tuned it to A. Tried a 60 bass string for the hell of it. At this point, without an longer scale length, unless you guys have any sets that work better, the tuning and intonation isn't as tight as everything else.

I also looked at the Agile Hornet, and I might need a bib.
Guitars:
Amp/Effects:

Quote by dannyalcatraz
BCKRedBaron
Registrar'd Loser
131 IQ
I guess I'm just weird among the 7-string world, but I've never felt a need to go that big on strings for A. I may have mentioned previously, I'm using EB regular slinkies (10-56) on my Universe in drop A and it's fine for me, and power slinkies (11-58) on my Carvin in A-standard. I don't think I could see myself going up to a .60 or bigger personally. That's probably not very helpful, but just my experience. So you feel the .60 is still floppy? I've heard of people going up to around .70 or so. At that point you may run into nut slot issues like I've had.

Side note, I got the DC727 back today; tech put the power slinkies back on, used some Big Bends Nut Sauce in the nut slots, and played the piss out of it all week. I picked it up and played it some, and so far the tuning issue is gone. We'll see how it goes as the strings age. Might need to pick up a tube of that stuff.

If I decide to keep the Carvin (which is seeming more likely now), I may go on a pickup search, I'm wide open to suggestions. The guitar is magohany/maple. Some PUs I have in mind are the Dimarzio Illuminators and SD Nazgul or Pegasus/Sentient. I'd love to try some Bareknuckles but I've never been able to play them in person. What y'all think?
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE-3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto Ace - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
bjgrifter
Aspiring Djentleman
651 IQ
I may have to give those a try. The 60 felt really big when I put it in the tuner, so I was unsure if the 65 would have fit if I got it. There's the combination of slack and looser tuning/intonation. I can hunt for strings to alleviate, but I think it's just finding the range of acceptability. It's A, but it's shift between sharp and flat is larger than others.

In a way, it's silly for me to be too picky when I'm running the original strings on my Squire in Drop D.

I think I'm still familiarizing myself with acceptable ranges for things in guitars.
Guitars:
Amp/Effects:

Quote by dannyalcatraz
ThePIGI_King
I'm Lovin' It
279 IQ
^It's also personal preference

I like floppy strings for the most part. Try some stuff, see what you like. I run a 60 something (a 68 I think) on an RG8 tuned standard, which most people consider way too small, but I like it. I use a set of 10's on my guitars in Drop C and love it.
2014 Ibanez RG8
2013 Schecter Hellraiser
1999 Schecter Revenger 7
2007 LTD 'Monster' F
B.C. Rich KK Warlock
No-Name Acoustic
bjgrifter
Aspiring Djentleman
651 IQ
I do get more "bwomp" with the low B dropped to A. What kind of tuning leeway do you feel comfortable with? Theres a pretty wide swath that I see between when its open and when I intonate at the 12th fret. It still falls in A, just not dead center like everything else.
Guitars:
Amp/Effects:

Quote by dannyalcatraz
ThePIGI_King
I'm Lovin' It
279 IQ
Quote by bjgrifter
I do get more "bwomp" with the low B dropped to A. What kind of tuning leeway do you feel comfortable with? Theres a pretty wide swath that I see between when its open and when I intonate at the 12th fret. It still falls in A, just not dead center like everything else.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by some of this, but I personally am comfortable going from Drop D all the way to B Standard on a single set. Most people would burn me at the stake for this, but it's just the way I used to play when I was younger, as I had a single guitar for many tunings. To each their own, however. I'll use a set of 10's for practically any tuning
2014 Ibanez RG8
2013 Schecter Hellraiser
1999 Schecter Revenger 7
2007 LTD 'Monster' F
B.C. Rich KK Warlock
No-Name Acoustic
bjgrifter
Aspiring Djentleman
651 IQ
Personal preference is definitely what I haven't quite figured out (yet), but I am leaning toward Ernie Ball.

I'm considering (among many things) the Douglas Hadron 627 with the TOM, but we'll see.
Guitars:
Amp/Effects:

Quote by dannyalcatraz
ThePIGI_King
I'm Lovin' It
279 IQ
Quote by bjgrifter
Personal preference is definitely what I haven't quite figured out (yet), but I am leaning toward Ernie Ball.

I'm considering (among many things) the Douglas Hadron 627 with the TOM, but we'll see.

Yeah dude, preference takes a bit of time to work on, I'm still working out what my 'ideal' specs are for strings and guitars and stuff. I personally love the D'Addario's. Also, a 27" guitar is the best. Ever since I got my first guitar at that scale, I've hated playing on 25.5 for lead stuff, because I have an easier time playing in the higher register on the slightly larger frets. I can still do it on a 25.5, but I'd rather do a 27. Just realize that some of the large stretches (5 frets) towards the nut will be a bit more difficult. Try a 27" out first if you can.
2014 Ibanez RG8
2013 Schecter Hellraiser
1999 Schecter Revenger 7
2007 LTD 'Monster' F
B.C. Rich KK Warlock
No-Name Acoustic
bjgrifter
Aspiring Djentleman
651 IQ
Quote by ThePIGI_King
Yeah dude, preference takes a bit of time to work on, I'm still working out what my 'ideal' specs are for strings and guitars and stuff. I personally love the D'Addario's. Also, a 27" guitar is the best. Ever since I got my first guitar at that scale, I've hated playing on 25.5 for lead stuff, because I have an easier time playing in the higher register on the slightly larger frets. I can still do it on a 25.5, but I'd rather do a 27. Just realize that some of the large stretches (5 frets) towards the nut will be a bit more difficult. Try a 27" out first if you can.

My hands have adapted as I've continued to play, so with how ridiculously inexpensive it is, if I don't get a shot at a 27" scale, it seems worth a shot. It seems they run stock at B tuning as well, and having multiple guitars for various tunings is the way I'm going.

I'm giving the EB Cobalts a whirl since they were on special. All 10 sets. The 60 gauge was a nice experiment, but I don't think I will keep that route.

Nice Carvin!
Guitars:
Amp/Effects:

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Last edited by bjgrifter at May 4, 2016,
SYLrules88
I Play Drums!
1,273 IQ
acoustic mirror that is gorgeous!!!

I'd stay away from anything douglas. I know the price tag is really tempting but spend a little more on something that will last you a little while. the only douglas I bought arrived in the mail with a failed scarf joint among other rough cosmetic issues. ill see if I can dig up the pictures.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele

AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake
4,843 IQ
I was a little skeptical about the 27 inch length but I really like it a lot. really solid guitar all around. just a few small gripes but nothing major.
buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.
bjgrifter
Aspiring Djentleman
651 IQ
Quote by SYLrules88
acoustic mirror that is gorgeous!!!

I'd stay away from anything douglas. I know the price tag is really tempting but spend a little more on something that will last you a little while. the only douglas I bought arrived in the mail with a failed scarf joint among other rough cosmetic issues. ill see if I can dig up the pictures.

This is the first complaint I've heard about the body or neck with Douglas stuff, and people have had complaints about Gibson's stuff. From my understanding Rondo's line is Agile>Douglas>SX.

I look for good deals on guitars, but I am taking my time and looking more into amps.
Guitars:
Amp/Effects:

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
I just bought a cheap Chinese Schecter 7 string used. Plays really nice but the pickups were total shite. Now I am playing slide on it in open A in a punk band. My sound is P90 into a SLO. So I hunts around for a 7 string P90 to fit into the humbucker hole.
As you may imagine, not a common thing. BKP make some but I thought I might try another boutique winder to make one. Rio Grande couldn't make one, neither could the Creamery. Next stop was Vintage Vibe in Florida. He could do it for me for US$138 (I got screwed by the exchange rate though).
So I told him that I wanted them a bit hotter than normal. Basically I told him to make them sound like Pete Wells, Rose Tattoo's slide guitarist.
It arrived yesterday and it's the best thing ever.
They came with an Alnico V magnet but also a ceramic replacement thrown in. I haven't tried the ceramic one yet, I'm in love with the Alnico V version. One day.

So if you want P90's in your 7 string, you could do a lot worse. Seriously - best pickup ever.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jun 1, 2016,
bjgrifter
Aspiring Djentleman
651 IQ
That's an interesting combination for 7-string pickups.
Guitars:
Amp/Effects:

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
It covers the bottom string really well, and I have it tuned to A. But you gotta like P90's though. I think that may be my Sabbath beginnings coming out in me, ; well that and the Pete Wells thing.

edit. Link to his site:
http://vintagevibeguitars.com
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jun 1, 2016,
ThePIGI_King
I'm Lovin' It
279 IQ
Um, bro, you forgetting a pic of the guitar itself? You can't just show me the pup, I wanna see the pup installed too!
2014 Ibanez RG8
2013 Schecter Hellraiser
1999 Schecter Revenger 7
2007 LTD 'Monster' F
B.C. Rich KK Warlock
No-Name Acoustic
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
Here ya go.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
bjgrifter
Aspiring Djentleman
651 IQ
Nice one.

I may grab another cheap 7 string. I've got some extra money coming down the pipes at work, so I think I may snag an ESP M17, or another WG-587 for a project involving a paint job.
Guitars:
Amp/Effects:

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Ice4600
291 IQ
Hey everybody! I used to be around a few years back (mostly GB&C) and I thought I'd pop in to see what's up. These are my two 7s that I've had for a few years.

Also, does anyone have one of these Agile Renaissance ERG acoustics? I'm strongly considering buying one. Like now. http://www.rondomusic.com/RENAISSANCE7XNA1.HTML

Ibanez RGD7321

Agile Septor Elite
SYLrules88
I Play Drums!
1,273 IQ
hello and welcome! nice to see yet another agile user I too want one of those renaissance acoustics but I just don't have a reason to buy one. I've had to force myself to make smarter gear purchases that I need for the band I play in and an acoustic is not YET on the need list.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele