Page 5 of 5
I like that guitar in general but I really love the headstock. Simply amazing.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Cool build, looks like a PRS got drunk and nailed a BC Rich...
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^Fuck off please. *REPORTED*
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Sorry to let you down but it's not finished yet The frets have been leveled, crowned and polished and I'm currently sanding the whole thing absolutely flat for buffing. I'll also move to another house in two weeks so I have a lot of packing to do at the same time. So please be patient, I'll post progress when there's something to show but it'll still take some time.
Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!
How's that for a compliment =)

My recordings
Current status in pics:

Headstock sanded flat. You can still see some tiny bubbles that I hope will go away with further sanding + buffing. I may have sprayed the first clear coats too thick or something...

Frets are now done.

Body has been sanded down to 800 grit. Next I'll wet sand with 1000, 1500 and 2000 and then it'll be ready for buffing.

Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!

My recordings
The buffing will still have to wait because I don't have proper tools and I'm not going to do it by hand. I'll go to a workshop of a local luthier to do it, hopefully sometime soon. In the meantime I'm making some pickuprings out of laminated wenge. Here they are rough cut:

Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!

My recordings
May I ask, how did you put the logo on the headstock? (Looks awesome, btw!)
Quote by treborillusion
Low end Epiphone = fire wood.

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website
Quote by Boonnoo666
May I ask, how did you put the logo on the headstock? (Looks awesome, btw!)
Thanks! First off, I had the logo cut out from vinyl. Then after the first clearcoats and light sanding I placed the logo on the headstock. Then it was just more clearcoats (+ sanding in between) to cover the logo and get an even finish.
Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!

My recordings
Time flies and slowly but steadily this project sees some progress. Getting close to being fully finished but there's still a lot of little details to do. Cavity shielding + covers, truss rod cover, pickuprings, electronics and of course putting it all together.

Anyway, here are some pics after buffing. I wasn't exactly sure how the colour would turn out staining straight to wood which has a red hue to it but I have to say I like the results.

This body shape is my personal favourite so far but my opinion might also be a bit biased

I like PU lacquer since it's so easy to spray, sand and buff to high shine.

The back also has a bit of flame-ish figure to it.

At a point I was thinking about black hardware but I like the contrast between black/satin chrome more. I hope the eventual owner does too

Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!

My recordings
I don't know whether I would play that guitar or take it to bed!
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Thanks! Here's the first test-fit with the strings on. It already plays nicely although it still needs a proper setup.

Strings line up pretty straight.

I just love the looks and ergonomics of this bridge...

...and the smilie on the back
Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!

My recordings
your builds are amazing man!

But i think you should change your logo dude, your cranking out AAA guitars but the logo on the headstock doesnt give that vibe.
i actually love the headstock.
i reckon your bro's gonna love it!
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

Phew... finally it is done. Though at the moment I don't have any pics to prove it We had a gig last weekend where my band was performing first and my brother's band was the main act and I wanted to get the thing done so I could give it to him at the same night (as I think this kind of opportunities will be few and far between...). As a result I was in such a hurry that I didn't get any pics and now I don't even have the guitar with me anymore. There's probably going to be some kind of final setup session anyway and I still need to plug in the homebrew active electronics so I'll have a chance to get the pics and maybe even post some end-user feedback

Hopefully in the future (number 4 is already in the works, more on that later) I'll have more time to post updates... At least I'll have my very own workshop in the basement since we'll be moving to a detached house with a BIG basement but then again I might be stuck with home improvement plans with The Wife. So in the end, all I can promise is that more guitars will be coming
Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!

My recordings
I remember when this thread first started.. Good to see youre still going strong.

Those recessed tuners/pots look wicked man. Nice craftsman ship
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Ok, so I got the #3 back for a final setup and now the active electronics have been installed, intonation set up and so on. This time around the preamp turned out to have quite a bit more gain than the first one I did, which I think is due to the characteristics of the particular FET used and I hope it will do a good job driving the tube amp it will be feeding (I haven't had a chance to try it with a tube amp yet, just the cheap transistor one I have at home).

I almost ran into trouble with the control cavity size since it's a bit small and I hadn't taken the switch into the equation but luckily with some creative work (involving a power drill with a 10mm bit) I managed to get everything to fit under the hood. I'm beginning to understand those swimming-pool type of cavities a bit better.

Anyway, you're probably here for the pics so here we go:

The cavity covers look reddish here (at least on my screen), the actual colour is closer to dark brown.

Here's how the wenge pickuprings turned out. The switch is for the onboard preamp.

Another detail shot of the top. Pickups are Irongear Steam Hammer on the bridge and Hot Slag in the neck.

Headstock. Still missing the truss rod cover but I'm calling this finished anyway...

And the back side.

Neck joint.
Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!

My recordings
EH

Last edited by eddiehimself at Jun 7, 2013,
...and here's the last piece of the puzzle:

Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!

My recordings
Oof, now that's a good looking guitar!

Are you going to get some clear coat on the wenge truss rod cover?