Page 3 of 3
bluestratplayer
I wouldn't listen to me
100 IQ
Bumped because this is such a great thread.

Also to actually contribute a bit: make sure you keep your shit serviced. Have a bag or something with extra strings, tubes, cables, any tools you could possibly need.

I bring a soldering iron in case someones cable goes bad and doesn't have a spare.

I also have a cheap Boss TU-2 I bring as a backup because you can survive w/o any pedal except a tuner, or if someone doesn't bring one (why do bassist seem to be the worst about this?).

Don't forget to have fun, I don't mean be an asshole or anything but if you are so uptight trying to make sure things are perfect that the audience won't even notice then they will see you aren't into it.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Juared
Canned
40 IQ
Woah... I was seriously thinking about doing the exact same thing. You're a wizard!

On the topic of tuners, B&H sells PolyTunes for $75.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=polytune&N=0&InitialSearch=yes
Fender Deluxe Player Strat
Fender Musicmaster
Takamine EAN10C
B-52 AT-100
Jet City JCA20H
MXR Phase 90
PolyTune Mini
Strymon El Capistan
Quote by thrashdeth
I love a Dimebag tone just as much as anyone else. I'm Definitely considering a spider.
bluestratplayer
I wouldn't listen to me
100 IQ
^wrong, Im a master wizard. There is a difference.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Juared
Canned
40 IQ
I'm too much of a peasant to know the difference.. sorry
Fender Deluxe Player Strat
Fender Musicmaster
Takamine EAN10C
B-52 AT-100
Jet City JCA20H
MXR Phase 90
PolyTune Mini
Strymon El Capistan
Quote by thrashdeth
I love a Dimebag tone just as much as anyone else. I'm Definitely considering a spider.
bluestratplayer
I wouldn't listen to me
100 IQ
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Seanthesheep
230 IQ
from my experience with sound guys, tfor vocal sound checks, they get pissed at you fi you dont yell check into the mic (even if you dont sing that loud). and as a result of that they dont set the vocals anywhere near loud enough to cut the mix.

oh and someone mentioned earlier you need 2 distinct tones to blend well. an EL34 amp and the same amp with 6L6s is nowhere near enough distiction you need (ie, a 6505+ and a 6534+) my band finds our sound is much better now that both me and the other guitarist are using EL34s ( a 6534+ and a 3120, theyre voiced completly differently)
bluestratplayer
I wouldn't listen to me
100 IQ
^Basically, your tone doesn't need to step on anyone's toes and should fill out the mix. Too much mass seems to be the most common problem with guitarists because it sounds good when playing alone, but in a band, the bass player has those frequencies covered.

These are good points that were probably covered earlier in the thread but I haven't read through it all so wasn't sure and figured I would add to it. Ive heard alot of bands that didn't mix well. My friend has the complete opposite type tone as mine and when he is playing by himself, to me, it sounds aweful. When we are playing together though it sounds great because its totally different and we can both be heard well without having to dime our volumes.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
GrizzlyFnAdams6
UG's Detective L
80 IQ
Some of the advice came off as pretentious and preachy imho. Want to know how to gig? Get out and do it. Get experience first hand. Not every music scene/area will have the same type of venues(if they have any formal venues at all). So make your OWN list of what you need depending on the area you're playing. Touring and gigging isn't some mystical art and it will become second nature soon and you'll be living gig to gig and tour to tour. Common sense is a bulk of most of it.
Quote by Tyler Bro
Gauges or Diamond studs? I am getting one, which one?

Quote by Xiaoxi
Get a dildo. Says the same thing.
Zoot Allures
UG's Contrarian
110 IQ
Quote by Cathbard
Oh ffs. I use a full rack tuner that makes a TU-2 look like a toy and I still often have to tweak the tuning a little. The human ear is far more accurate than a tuner unless you are tone deaf and if you use harmonics and listen for the beat frequency it's even more accurate. Also, no guitar is perfect, even if you tune it perfectly with harmonics you often need to make small compromises. Doing a quick fine tuning doesn't make you look unprofessional unless you take forever to do it.
When I first started hardly anybody had tuners and we always tuned up on stage - now it's wrong to do it that way? What a load of bollocks. If doing a quick tuning is enough to drive away the audience you really must be playing in a crappy band is all I can say. Did people walk out on Hendrix?

Exactly, and Hendrix was out of tune all the time anyway, as long as it's close enough for rock n roll it's fine.
jpatan
UG's only REAL Llama
140 IQ
Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Some of the advice came off as pretentious and preachy imho. Want to know how to gig? Get out and do it. Get experience first hand. Not every music scene/area will have the same type of venues(if they have any formal venues at all). So make your OWN list of what you need depending on the area you're playing. Touring and gigging isn't some mystical art and it will become second nature soon and you'll be living gig to gig and tour to tour. Common sense is a bulk of most of it.

I think this guide was intended to help people who have never played a gig, and to prevent them from showing up to their first live set and having something stupid like a broken string, or blown fuse end the set prematurely. From there it sorta evolved into more gig etiquette, and useful tips. I don't think anything posted has been preachy... except maybe the 3 page flame war over tuners.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Bostonrocks
UG God
721 IQ
When I started this thread it was a testament to the things that I've done while touring nationally and what I've learned being on the road. A small "how to" guide with very basic guidelines to help people who haven't gigged or who are just curious.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
bluestratplayer
I wouldn't listen to me
100 IQ
^And its great advice. This thread has alot of info for people who haven't gigged or haven't alot. There are alot of things in here alot of people don't think about until it ends a show for them or makes a bad experience. Of course alot of these things will have to be tweaked for each person but its a great list for people to read over. Alot of this stuff might be common sense but you would be surprised at how many people would miss something and that can end very bad. This wasn't meant to be preachy at all, only help people and provide a bit of a check list which alot of people have added too.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Bostonrocks
UG God
721 IQ
Exactly! Like you said, it seems like common sense, but 80% of guitar players and bands don't do half of that stuff
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
bluestratplayer
I wouldn't listen to me
100 IQ
^Yep, Ive seen lots of seasoned veterans that never brought backup tubes. Just because in ten years one hasn't failed on a gig doesn't mean one won't at your next gig.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Smcash
Nonregistered User...
10 IQ
There's a lot of great advice here for gigging. Gaffers tape is wonderful stuff and back ups are a must...What I haven't seen a lot of, is advice for touring. Here's my input:
It will be cramped. Even if you manage to get a bus, it will get cramped.

It will smell. Open a window as much as possible.

You will get on each others nerves. If you spend any length of time in the car/van/bus you will get annoyed at someone for something. Remember those family trips you took when you were little? Prepare to relive them.

If at all possible, plan your tour around friends...Sounds weird, I know but if you know 5 different people in 5 different cities, you might just have a place to stay for the night (even the most uncomfortable couch is better than sleeping in a car) and they can help bring people to the show.

Be respectful of your friends. Just because they let you stay with them for the night does not mean they want you throwing a party at their house or bringing the crab-infested crack head back there to steal their stuff. It happens, don't be that guy.

Be prepared to be broke for a while. Touring is expensive. Gas is expensive. Food is expensive. You're not getting paid that much. Everyone should be contributing to a band fund that goes toward gas and food...

Just a few insights. Go have fun.
bluestratplayer
I wouldn't listen to me
100 IQ
^pretty good advice there. Ive gigged alot but haven't "toured" so Im sure its a much different experience.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow
130 IQ
Etiquette is a VERY important part of gigging.
Gigging isn't just about playing music. It's about networking, establishing a fan base, and establishing contacts. Etiquette is a vastly important part of that. No matter how good you are, if you treat everyone like shit and act like an entitled ass, no one will want to work with you or see you
bluestratplayer
I wouldn't listen to me
100 IQ
^very good point.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow
130 IQ
I used to be in a band with someone like that. He thought he was the greatest thing on earth. He was insufferable. Kept bitching about the sound guy making his Orange Crush and DS-1 sound like shit. He straight out said to the crowd. Sorry about the sound, the sound guy's shit.
After that, they completely ****ed with him. Messed with the EQ every 5 minutes, then finally just completely muted his channel. I lol'd very hard after the show, and we kicked him out after that. It was our first real gig.
Last edited by darkwolf291 at Nov 8, 2011,
bluestratplayer
I wouldn't listen to me
100 IQ
^Ive seen guitarist start playing little solos and stuff while the singer is trying to interact with the crowd. Looks very unprofessional, on top of being very disrespectful to your bandmates.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
bluestratplayer
I wouldn't listen to me
100 IQ
He would wait until the singer would start interacting the start playing random riffs and licks until the start of the next song. The singer bitched at him alot for it. I mean, they did four hour show as we all do around here at bars and with almost every blues/classic rock song having a solo for him, there was no point in that shit.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
bluestratplayer
I wouldn't listen to me
100 IQ
^oh yeah thats fine. but he would mute. And half the time he wouldn't tune during that time just **** around then they would start the next song and he is outta tune.

But yeah there are ways to do that, but the way he did it was just douchy.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
bluestratplayer
I wouldn't listen to me
100 IQ
He's not a bad guy, just not very aware of how he comes off when he does shit like that. I mean I posted that though cause Ive seen several people do stuff like that, he was the worst example Ive seen. You don't want to be that guy. Hell, when I saw BLS at ozzfest several years back, Zakk Wylde would solo in between every song pretty much. Its was 4 min song that already had a solo in it followed by five mins of shreddy before next song. It was boring as ****. One of the worst things Ive seen.

But as far as not being a dick goes, the worst thing you can do is be a dick to the soundguy or club owner. If you are to the soundguy he will make you sound like shit and you will be lucky to play there again and if you are a douche the the club owner, good luck getting another gig there (even if you don't want to play there again be aware that he probably talks to other owners are can cost you alot of gigs).
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow
130 IQ
Exactly.
You HAVE to be nice.
You can't go around acting like a rock star. The only reason the real rock stars get away with it is because they put asses in the seats.
Not a good excuse, but it is one.
your average UGer isn't a famous rock star.
The average Joe has no reason to act like that.
The club owner will see an egotistical prick that puts some asses in the seats, but there are hundreds of other small and local bands that could do the same thing without attitude.
n1ckn1ce
Slight douchebag.
223 IQ
Just something i foud out practicing...
If you use various tunings, get differents guitar. I still feel the burnings eyes of my bandmates waiting for me while i was tuning it. and plus, i the guitar is constently tuned to a tuning, it haves less chances of getting offtuned.
Smcash
Nonregistered User...
10 IQ
Quote by darkwolf291
Exactly.
You HAVE to be nice.
You can't go around acting like a rock star. The only reason the real rock stars get away with it is because they put asses in the seats.
Not a good excuse, but it is one.
your average UGer isn't a famous rock star.
The average Joe has no reason to act like that.
The club owner will see an egotistical prick that puts some asses in the seats, but there are hundreds of other small and local bands that could do the same thing without attitude.

I don't know...I think you have to have some swagger. I mean don't go punch the sound guy in the face and tell him he sucks (in fact, you might want to buy him a 12 pack) but I think it can be a good thing to have some edge to you. Of course, you have to actually have some talent otherwise you really are just a dick. Oh and club owners get really pissed if you destroy their dressing rooms. Don't do that.
Punk_Ninja
Orianthi fanboy.
398 IQ
Quote by Smcash
I don't know...I think you have to have some swagger. I mean don't go punch the sound guy in the face and tell him he sucks (in fact, you might want to buy him a 12 pack) but I think it can be a good thing to have some edge to you. Of course, you have to actually have some talent otherwise you really are just a dick. Oh and club owners get really pissed if you destroy their dressing rooms. Don't do that.

Having some swagger and being an arrogant dick are two different things.

There's no excuse to not be friendly and nice. You hear bands saying stuff like "blah blah blah the sound guy's a dickhead" or hurling abuse at the crowd. That shit doesn't, and shouldn't ever, fly.

You can have attitude on stage (and maybe off it, but preferably not to the people that matter when it comes to your progression as a band) but the minute you start to give the people like the guy that pays you, or the sound man or fans who are interested in your music and stuff the wrong kind of attitude, you're ****ed pretty much.

Generally even if the sound guy IS being a dick I'm friendly to him!
You never know when you'll gig at that place again, it'd always be nice to have the guy remember you for buying him a beer or something.
denied
Jamming
140 IQ
The very best thing you can do is be a likable guy (or gal). If the promoter loves you, the bands think you're great, and you get along with the sound guy, you are going to get called back.

I'm not sure what you mean by "swagger" but I get annoyed pretty easily when I see someone acting out. Some of the best musicians I know are the most humble and down to earth,and it serves them very well.
Page 3 of 3