Page 10 of 10
I just realized that NASA's Commercial Crew and Cargo Program Office, the office in charge of the two programs that are "outsourcing" LEO cargo and crew flights to companies like SpaceX, Boeing, etc., is abbreviate C3PO.

Like the robot from Star Wars.

Whoa
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
"I'm sick of paying for these false bull that NASA puts out. Your tring to tell me one of the weakest forces in the universe "gravity" helped to cause a star to "explode"? A force that I can overcome just by jumping up and down. Not to mention the fact that there is no gravity In space!!! Stupid....."

Sign me up for that one way mars mission
It was my privilege
Quote by StewieSwan
"I'm sick of paying for these false bull that NASA puts out. Your tring to tell me one of the weakest forces in the universe "gravity" helped to cause a star to "explode"? A force that I can overcome just by jumping up and down. Not to mention the fact that there is no gravity In space!!! Stupid....."

Sign me up for that one way mars mission

I could support a Soylent Green initiative if we could ensure it was only made up of these types of folks...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
I could support a Soylent Green initiative if we could ensure it was only made up of these types of folks...

But don't you get it? We can overcome gravity just by jumping.
It was my privilege
Nah, I like that in 50 years I can tell my grandkids the story of the 9th planet, Pluto that looks kinda like a heart and sorta like that homonymous cartoon dog. Maybe get them to stop playing their damn zero g laser games on the viewing deck of the SS Dongsmasher and spend some time with us old timers before we die and our bodies are cycled through the air-lock.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Awful quiet in here

http://www.spaceflightinsider.com/missions/solar-system/six-new-horizons-scientists-propose-geophysical-planet-definition/

This looks good. The IAU definition is too broad to be academically and scientifically useful in my opinion, so this seems like a great step in the right direction.

TLDR: informal (as in not yet to the IAU) proposal of new planetary definition system based on the planet's geophysics and not its location. Would mean our solar system now has 110 planets.
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
Apparently mars' surface is covered in rocket fuel. After listening to a sciency podcast it seems that the movies got it wrong. Even if people figure out how not to die of lack of oxygen, no atmospheric pressure and freezing cold they would still die of radiation poisoning due to the lack of any kind on planetary magnetic field.
It's 96% carbon dioxide. I don't think that's rocket fuel.

Unless you mean the radioactivity; thorium, uranium and potassium.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Feb 14, 2017,
Night after night
They shine on so bright,
All the ancient lights
Shall never fade away.
Astronomica!
The laws that bind us all
To keep us from the fall
Unto the stars we gaze
And pray.
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Quote by gregs1020
It's 96% carbon dioxide. I don't think that's rocket fuel.

Unless you mean the radioactivity; thorium, uranium and potassium.

I was talking about perchlorate salts.
http://www.spaceflightinsider.com/missions/space-observatories/trump-space-advisors-considering-hubble-servicing-mission/

Nice to see some companies other than SpaceX get some high-profile mission love. Good article too, deals with a lot of the initial questions I had when reading the title, like "why not just focus on the Webb?"
Sweet.

On that note, this book is coming out soon, and I want it:

Exoplanets: Diamond Worlds, Super Earths, Pulsar Planets, and the New Search for Life beyond Our Solar System

I hope it's a good mix of hard science and approachability. I occasionally peruse the astronomy section of Barnes and Noble, but about 95% of the stuff is too "soft" for my preferences, and pseudo-science pop-astronomy the likes of which people like peppers feed off of. Don't get me wrong, I understand the importance of making space sciences approachable for the public, but I'm at a point in my education where more "textbook"-like books are interesting.
Quote by Dreadnought
Sweet.

Exoplanets: Diamond Worlds, Super Earths, Pulsar Planets, and the New Search for Life beyond Our Solar System

I hope it's a good mix of hard science and approachability. I occasionally peruse the astronomy section of Barnes and Noble, but about 95% of the stuff is too "soft" for my preferences, and pseudo-science pop-astronomy the likes of which people like peppers feed off of. Don't get me wrong, I understand the importance of making space sciences approachable for the public, but I'm at a point in my education where more "textbook"-like books are interesting.

I might have to check it out, too. I'm in a similar boat. Most of the astronomy books I find at bookstores are a little too simple for what I'm interested in. Another problem is that since astronomy and astrophysics are such cutting edge sciences books even a few years old can be horribly out-of-date
It was my privilege
That's for sure, but I think that really applies to literature that focuses around theoretical stuff as opposed to books of "current status" quantifiable information, if you will.

I have found some good finds nonetheless at major bookstores, like "Dreams of Other Worlds", "Road to Reality", and a couple others I can't think of right now. The difficulty is sifting through the books that compare string theory with teamaking and how our inner Buddha resonates with m-theory
Quote by Dreadnought
Sweet.

Sounds like a good jumping point from "black holes quasars and the universe" which is outdated by now.
http://www.spacepolicyonline.com/news/spacex-plans-to-send-two-people-around-moon-in-2018?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Spacepolicyonline+%28SpacePolicyOnline+News%29

Good article (and good site on US space policy) about ostensible "competition" between commercial and state-sponsored American spaceflight, which is awesome. I usually disdain the outsize amount of attention that SpaceX garners, and I don't view it as a legitimate competitor to NASA capabilities (obvs), but an internal space race between the two, for lack of a better term, would be reinvigorating.

Not to mention other companies who are pursuing launch methods different to ground launch, like Virgin Galactic, which is more feasible for LEO in my opinion.
Can any of you guys explain Dark Matter and Energy to me? It confuses the hell outta me.
Well, you see. There's matter and energy and then there's dark matter and dark energy.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Momentosis Yes, but like more in depth (I know a UG forum is probably not the best place to try and find out either).
Does anyone know how color confinement actually works? I understand the basic principals and concepts behind what is happening in theory, but I fail to grasp what is happening in terms of an extra step back in perspective.

From what I gather from my readings is that there are these things called quantum chromodynamic flux tubes and they have a particular feature that acts on their area rather than their perimeter, somehow causing physics to be backwards and allow gluons to cause quarks to create new pairs when separated instead of just further separation.
Quote by jhelkaa
Can any of you guys explain Dark Matter and Energy to me? It confuses the hell outta me.

The most interesting explanation I know of is this. Imagine all the planets revolving around the stars, forming clusters and galaxies. And then those clusters and galaxies revolving around bigger ones. This goes on for some time. All of this energy should be enough to send everything out into oblivion. That's an enormous amount of energy being contained somehow. That's dark energy.

Dark matter is a little different. "Scientists" added up all the energy of the universe and it's more than how much matter we know of. I think it's mostly gravitational.

TBH. I think we know as much as we can about what exists exclusively in our 3 dimensions. But much of what we experience are ripples from higher dimensions. A lot more than we think.

That's pretty much why we're blasting hadrons together, chipping away at something more.
Apparently President Trump just signed a bill that focuses NASA's mission on this thing called "space exploration."
Which policy you talking bout fam