Ramblin'_Man
UG's Reggae fanatic
1,959 IQ
I wanted to see who else here likes afrobeat. Ir's one of my favorite genres, so groovy, and socially relevant as well. For those who are unfamiliar with afrobeat, it was created by Fela Kuti and Tony Allen(the drummer for his band). It is a mixture of jazz, funk(James Brown style), Nigerian High Life, and traditional African rhythms(of the Yoruba tradition I believe). Some artists I recommend:

Fela Kuti
Femi Kuti
Seun Kuti
Tony Allen
Chicago Afrobeat Project
Antibalas (aka The Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra)
Kokolo
The Souljazz Orchestra (definitely not pure afrobeat, but it's apart of their music)
Mr. Something Something
Chopteeth
Ramblin'_Man
UG's Reggae fanatic
1,959 IQ
marc137
medium swing
82 IQ
Me and my Jazz band performed No agreement by Fela Kuti last year, it was incredibly fun.

I haven't been listening to afrobeat lately but I will definitely check the songs you linked.
Without a good harmonic knowledge, one cannot expect to become a great jazz soloist ~ Horace Silver

Quote by dietermoreno
Is it possible for 6 string guitar to tune lower than drop C and scales still work?
Ramblin'_Man
UG's Reggae fanatic
1,959 IQ
Right on man. I figured not many people on here would listen to afrobeat, it's definitely something you have to find. Live shows are incredible though, I think as far as fun and dancebility(is this a word?) it is second only to trance/psytrance. I'm going to see Chicago Afrobeat Project on 3/26 for a free show they are doing at University of Wisconsin at Madison "Celebrating Peace Corps in Africa" for 50 years. I'm excited, I saw them on 4/20 a few years ago and they killed it. Cool guys too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpQj2GVt7kY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKrM1NQt4fk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TqVuoLB1dE&feature=related

Oh, also to any drummers that read these forums, please check out Fela Kuti and Tony Allen (Fela's drummer, he later went solo). He is, in my opinion, the greatest drummers to ever live. After he left it would take two and sometimes more people to fill his place.
Last edited by Ramblin'_Man at Mar 3, 2011,
Cap'n Braid
Om
352 IQ
I'd like to add Chico Mann to the list of recommendations. Some very good cuban afrobeat with synths. Its one of the dudes from Antibalas, I believe.
Ramblin'_Man
UG's Reggae fanatic
1,959 IQ
Thanks for the recommendation C&B, i'll definitely check him out. I'm just hoping to turn people on to some righteous music that is relatively unknown, but oh soo groovy haha
Bluesblitz
Resident COOTER
704 IQ
Fela Kuti is amazing, his sound is so great, it's just the perfect combo of jazz and funk, my dad and I both love him.
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Vox Night Train 15W
An ever-morphing BOSS and MXR loaded pedalboard

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
slayer_rule_\m/
Nothing is good.
906 IQ
Bumping because there's not enough Afrobeat love on UG.

One of my tutors has played with a lot of Afrobeat/world music outfits. Such good music, criminally overlooked!
copperwreck
Tab Contributor
750 IQ
This mesmerizing song is one of my later Afrobeat favourites: Orchestra Poly-Rythmo - Gbeti Madjro (Apparently youtube-links are not allowed, you'll have to search for it yourselves.)