Page 124 of 124
Damn man, the Rectoverb match turned out pretty well! Y'all inspired me to turn on my iPad and play around with the Thrasher model. Got a pretty decent sound.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Well I did a quick clip with the stock recto at 1 o' clock and another one with the TSE 808. Now, I'm not really a metal player at all but I tried to do some chords and palm muting stuff so you can get an idea of the sound etc... The guitar I'm using has medium output pickups for reference ('57 classics) and I'm plugged into a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

Also did one with my Rectoverb for shits and giggles

Rectoverb 50 combo Modern channel w/ TSE 808:

https://soundcloud.com/guitarbites/rectomatch-ts-on/s-Dkwx6

I'm not hearing toooo much of a gain loss on my end. So I'll just ignore it for now. But damn does your stock recto sound fatter for some reason even without the TS. Still like shit though

Your rectoverb match destroys it. Much more natural sounding.
Quote by Ignite
I'm not hearing toooo much of a gain loss on my end. So I'll just ignore it for now. But damn does your stock recto sound fatter for some reason even without the TS. Still like shit though

Your rectoverb match destroys it. Much more natural sounding.

I felt the same way. There might be a bit more gain on my recto but its not a massive difference. Yeah its funny how fat it sounds and thats with the bass turned down quite a bit

Thanks man. Kind of wish I had another cab though cause im not terribly big on the c90 in it.

Quote by dementiacaptain
Damn man, the Rectoverb match turned out pretty well! Y'all inspired me to turn on my iPad and play around with the Thrasher model. Got a pretty decent sound.

Thanks man! Im hoping to tone match the rest of the modes and maybe the clean channel as well at some point.

I dont think I have tried the thrasher yet actually
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I felt the same way. There might be a bit more gain on my recto but its not a massive difference. Yeah its funny how fat it sounds and thats with the bass turned down quite a bit

Thanks man. Kind of wish I had another cab though cause im not terribly big on the c90 in it.

The c90 is the black shadow right? If so I absolutely hated it in my Mark IV combo, but being a 1x12 open back combo may have had more impact on tone than the actual speaker. It was boxy and had no balls. Quickly bought a 2x12 with V30s and it was like a different amp.
Quote by Ignite
The c90 is the black shadow right? If so I absolutely hated it in my Mark IV combo, but being a 1x12 open back combo may have had more impact on tone than the actual speaker. It was boxy and had no balls. Quickly bought a 2x12 with V30s and it was like a different amp.

You would be right and thats pretty much the issue I have now
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I got bored so here's an actual amp/tone match using the isolated track of Panic Attack by Dream Theater, playing random riffs made up on the spot.

https://soundcloud.com/ryansimmons/octavarium-tone-match-with-bias

I think it sounds kinda fizzy, but everything does through my monitors. But I mean it's a recto so it's gonna be fizzy anyway.
I feel I nearly nailed that flubby low end too, took a bit of pre filtering to hit that right frequency that makes it loose but no too loose.
Quote by Ignite
I got bored so here's an actual amp/tone match using the isolated track of Panic Attack by Dream Theater, playing random riffs made up on the spot.

I think it sounds kinda fizzy, but everything does through my monitors. But I mean it's a recto so it's gonna be fizzy anyway.
I feel I nearly nailed that flubby low end too, took a bit of pre filtering to hit that right frequency that makes it loose but no too loose.

Sounds killer man.

What are you using for clean tones?
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Sounds killer man.

What are you using for clean tones?

Guitar Rig 5

The AC30 (I think) model is perfect plus the effects in GR are pretty nice sounding, I couldn't get a clean tone in Bias that sounded as nice. And Bias FX actually has some pretty awful sounding effects when it comes to reverb and stuff. At least I couldn't work with it as well as GR.
Yeah the cleans are okay in GR for sure. Probably the only thing I like about that suite although I get my effects from Waves, TAL and Valhalla now. Scuffham S-Gear had some nice cleaner tones but it's such a limited product that I can't justify buying it.

I don't use any Bias FX since I only have Desktop but I don't doubt that they're crap. Right now I'm really digging the Replika delay by Native Intruments.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Ignite

Very reminiscent of the album, which is my favorite by DT. A little fizzy as you said, but I don't know how much can be done about that really...

Nice job!
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Yeah the cleans are okay in GR for sure. Probably the only thing I like about that suite although I get my effects from Waves, TAL and Valhalla now. Scuffham S-Gear had some nice cleaner tones but it's such a limited product that I can't justify buying it.

I don't use any Bias FX since I only have Desktop but I don't doubt that they're crap. Right now I'm really digging the Replika delay by Native Intruments.

Something about the way Bias processes clean tones, its like scooped and boomy, but also dark. I probably need to play around with again. I'm sure with its capabilities I could sculpt a kickass tone.

But in GR, throw on a compressor, the AC30, a nice delay, and an icy sounding reverb, and mannn. I'll record a clip tomorrow maybe. I love my clean tone.

And yeah you're not missing much without Bias FX except having the tube screamer in the same plugin really. It's not as decked out as I thought it'd be, it's very limited.

Quote by dementiacaptain
Very reminiscent of the album, which is my favorite by DT. A little fizzy as you said, but I don't know how much can be done about that really...

Nice job!

Thanks!

And you're right, there pretty much nothing to do about it. It's baked into the amp match EQ, and even a low pass just makes it dark yet still fizzy.

In my defense though, the isolated guitar tracks are still terribly fizzy, yet it's more like a good fizzy. But it seems all the isolated tracks I've ripped from Rock Band and Guitar Hero have this weird extra fizz amyway. Either that or the original guitar tracks were that fizzy given that it's a dual recto recorded with an SM57 (plus an e609 if I'm not mistaken).

There's definitely a noticeable piercing fizzy high end when Petrucci records with a Dual Rec compared to a Mark though, but again that's just the nature of the amp.

I'm really excited to try to recreate a huge recto sound like this when I get an Axe.
Any reason youre going axe over kemper? Effects? Routing?
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Any reason youre going axe over kemper? Effects? Routing?

Just overall features and how the product is used. The idea of profiling is cool, and it yields really spot on results, but I don't have anything to profile and I'd rather build my own tones than use other peoples profiles.

I've actually researched a good bit and I have not yet heard one tone from the Kemper that I found would suit me, while I've heard tons of tones from the Axe that sounded fantastic. I'm not saying the Kemper can't do it, I'm sure it can, but I was just throwing that out there. A lot of people are just micing up their cab with a SM57 and the profile sounds like something I'd be able to do in my room, while the Axe has nearly spot on modeling, the best stock IR's I've personally heard, and a slew of Cab Packs you can load into the Axe.

Although I do have a question. Say someone has a really nice profile, is the Kemper able to distinguish the cab from the actual tone and able to replace the IR? I think someone told me it can earlier in the thread but it was vague.
Well, you can. It's debatable how accurate it would be, though. I mean like this: a profile of a 6505 is made with a V30 Mesa 212 cab with an SM57 in front. You can swap out the cab for whatever you want without any problem, say you take a Marshall with greenbacks. That's not a problem at all. However, you can't really say for sure that's how a 6505 would sound through that cab and you always have the fact that with a profile, it's a certain setting you take as well. You can add and reduce gain and have a plethora of EQ-possibilities, but it won't magically turn a 6505 into a Brit-rock beast, of course.

If you want, I can record some stuff with a profile I like as is and then change the cab to some IR's I like.
Mayones Regius
Gibson SG
Fender CS Telecaster
Kemper Profiler
Quote by Ignite
I wouldn't be opposed to that, but don't like take time out of your day just for that unless you're having fun.

I just reamped a track I had (In Due Time by KSE).

Bogner XTC profile through a Laboga 212 with a V30 and a Creamback, no idea what mic.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_LhBFV9w2xEZjhMX0hzc1JwTFk

The same DI sent to the same profile with the cab turned off, with an aftermarket IR couple of an SM57 on a V30 and an MD421 on a V30.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_LhBFV9w2xEM2ZNalpySWZidVk

You can decide for yourself which you like better, but I'd say the sound has a major difference without losing the character of the amp.
Mayones Regius
Gibson SG
Fender CS Telecaster
Kemper Profiler
Sounds pretty good, and the cab swapping sounds pretty much like you'd expect using different IR's on a modeler.

But it still sounds like a Kemper to me. Every Kemper clip sounds bright and the dynamics are squishy and plastic.

I don't know if people are profiling similar tones or if I just have a good ear picking up an inherent quality of how the Kemper processes tones.