Poll: Would you be willing to change your user title to 'Feminist' temporarily?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would you be willing to change your user title to 'Feminist' temporarily?
Yes
127 22%
No
461 78%
Voters: 588.
Page 95 of 95
Ziphoblat
The Enigma
390 IQ
Quote by gonzaw
Ugh

It's true man, I reddit on the internet.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
bifteksupernova
*thhbbbt*
683 IQ
I'm sorry, but this twitter #yessallwomen thing is turning this ordeal into another fad that will be forgotten in a few weeks. Just like Kony, the countless mass shootings that draw international coverage, Amanda Todd suicide etc, this is just becoming another bandwagon for hashtag activists
Last.fm So you can make fun of my taste in music
Youtube So you can make fun of my videos
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent
6,087 IQ
But anyways, my question was legitimate.

The word "feminism" refers to a movement that seeks gender equality. Yes. Also, it does seem to further focus on working to improve women's rights in general, since in general they are shittier than men's rights.
This is true.
So far everything is correct. So far everything is consistent with the definition of "gender egalitarianism/equality". If you seek equal rights for genders, you will naturally start fighting to improve those of the ones that have it worse.

The fact is that there is this stigma assignated to "feminism", like you hear in this forum like...every time (just check the threads in the top page), where it's ONLY about women "getting power" and "subjugating men" or stuff like that. It's already ingrained the minds of so many people, based on misconceptions, at times personal experiences, at times the media, etc.
But seriously, the name of the movement itself doesn't make any favours in trying to mitigate that problem. It's just one of those "advertising" things people DO notice, like a soda drink being called "Dog Sweat". The name has nothing to do with the product/service/movement, but I don't think anybody will ever drink "Dog Sweat".
It's easy to fix, just change the name. I think things can be improved to be honest. "Anti-feminists" will no longer oppose it, since it's apparently a "new" movement (when actually it's the same), there won't be any stigma associated against it, etc.
If you change your soda's name from Dog Sweat to Mountain Vigor, your sales will increase. If you change your movement's name from Feminism to Gender Whatever, then support to your movement will increase.
Does it mean it's fair that this has to happen? No, but is it fair that a soda named Dog Sweat never gets bought, even if it is the best one in the world? No, but the world works this way and you have to adapt
Last edited by gonzaw at May 25, 2014,
BladeSlinger
nerd
1,793 IQ
Do you even know how to research on your own gonzaw?
Quote by cemges
And tell, how come you became idiot enough

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Eastwinn
through being cool
3,131 IQ
jesus christ the reason it has such a bad reputation is because the movement seeks to equalize two groups of people, one of which is already on top and gets to decide what reputations things have. the name doesn't matter.
i don't know why i feel so dry
gabcd86
isn't French.
2,030 IQ
Quote by bifteksupernova
I'm sorry, but this twitter #yessallwomen thing is turning this ordeal into another fad that will be forgotten in a few weeks. Just like Kony, the countless mass shootings that draw international coverage, Amanda Todd suicide etc, this is just becoming another bandwagon for hashtag activists

what?

It's not activism, it's sharing experiences. Nothing to do with Kony or campaigning. Sneering at hashtag activism ignores the immense value that these shared spaces provide for people to a) understand others' experiences, and b) realise how widespread they are. For a man, it's immensely illuminating to see how bad things are, and for women, I suspect it must be somewhat reassuring to know you aren't alone. Though equally dispiriting maybe.
Trowzaa
TwoWorldWars&OneWorldCup
730 IQ
Quote by Eastwinn
jesus christ the reason it has such a bad reputation is because the movement seeks to equalize two groups of people, one of which is already on top and gets to decide what reputations things have. the name doesn't matter.

nah, tumblr is the reason it has a bad reputation
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Eastwinn
through being cool
3,131 IQ
Quote by Trowzaa
nah, tumblr is the reason it has a bad reputation

feminism had a bad reputation before computers existed but thanks for the commentary.
LostLegion
32CSM
2,216 IQ
They didn't have feminism 100 years ago
They didn't have AIDS 100 years ago
Coincidence? I think not.
GodofCheesecake
Master of the Machines
1,404 IQ
Fucking hilarious.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Eastwinn
through being cool
3,131 IQ
Quote by LostLegion
They didn't have feminism 100 years ago

can you even google?
LostLegion
32CSM
2,216 IQ
Quote by Eastwinn
can you even google?

If you can take a dick you can take a joke
bifteksupernova
*thhbbbt*
683 IQ
Quote by gabcd86
what?

It's not activism, it's sharing experiences. Nothing to do with Kony or campaigning. Sneering at hashtag activism ignores the immense value that these shared spaces provide for people to a) understand others' experiences, and b) realise how widespread they are. For a man, it's immensely illuminating to see how bad things are, and for women, I suspect it must be somewhat reassuring to know you aren't alone. Though equally dispiriting maybe.

I know it's not campaigning, but it's along the same lines as people "FINALLY TAKING A STAND AGAINST BULLYING!!" after the Amanda Todd suicide and people exploding over gun control after Sandy Hook and the Aurora theatre shootings. People sitting idly by will pretend they are making a difference by sharing a hashtag with a stupid f*cking anecdote that is unrelated to the whole issue

I can understand why it's a big deal. I won't bash or criticize people for sharing stories like this (some of them were shocking, admittedly) because like you said, it must help some women to read stories similar to theirs. But at the same time I can't help but feel that this whole issue, hashtag and all will be forgotten in under a month and things won't be any different than they were two days ago.
Last.fm So you can make fun of my taste in music
Youtube So you can make fun of my videos
Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,496 IQ
Quote by LostLegion
If you can take a dick you can take a joke

Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
gabcd86
isn't French.
2,030 IQ
Quote by bifteksupernova
I know it's not campaigning, but it's along the same lines as people "FINALLY TAKING A STAND AGAINST BULLYING!!" after the Amanda Todd suicide and people exploding over gun control after Sandy Hook and the Aurora theatre shootings. People sitting idly by will pretend they are making a difference by sharing a hashtag with a stupid f*cking anecdote that is unrelated to the whole issue

I can understand why it's a big deal. I won't bash or criticize people for sharing stories like this (some of them were shocking, admittedly) because like you said, it must help some women to read stories similar to theirs. But at the same time I can't help but feel that this whole issue, hashtag and all will be forgotten in under a month and things won't be any different than they were two days ago.

Well a lot of the people I have seen using the hashtag are also activists, writers, etc. etc.

and IDK I was mildly optimistic (if horrified) by the response because there seemed to be an acceptance of the role misogyny played in this in the circles I move in but I think that's just because I've culled irritating people from my social media.
Mistress_Ibanez
994 IQ
What in the hell is #yesallwomen?

I clearly have some catching up to do here don't I.

Is this linked to the actions of some mentally ill kid in America?
NotFromANUS
Naturalist
1,434 IQ
Quote by Eastwinn

You realize that's not how reputations work, right?

Feminism has a bad reputation because it is an ideological train wreck and has tipped its hand as nothing more than a lobbying group for middle-class women at the expense of men, children, and family stability.
Mudmen190
Galactic Bounthunterrrrrr
226 IQ
Quote by gonzaw
But anyways, my question was legitimate.

The word "feminism" refers to a movement that seeks gender equality. Yes. Also, it does seem to further focus on working to improve women's rights in general, since in general they are shittier than men's rights.
This is true.
So far everything is correct. So far everything is consistent with the definition of "gender egalitarianism/equality". If you seek equal rights for genders, you will naturally start fighting to improve those of the ones that have it worse.

The fact is that there is this stigma assignated to "feminism", like you hear in this forum like...every time (just check the threads in the top page), where it's ONLY about women "getting power" and "subjugating men" or stuff like that. It's already ingrained the minds of so many people, based on misconceptions, at times personal experiences, at times the media, etc.
But seriously, the name of the movement itself doesn't make any favours in trying to mitigate that problem. It's just one of those "advertising" things people DO notice, like a soda drink being called "Dog Sweat". The name has nothing to do with the product/service/movement, but I don't think anybody will ever drink "Dog Sweat".
It's easy to fix, just change the name. I think things can be improved to be honest. "Anti-feminists" will no longer oppose it, since it's apparently a "new" movement (when actually it's the same), there won't be any stigma associated against it, etc.
If you change your soda's name from Dog Sweat to Mountain Vigor, your sales will increase. If you change your movement's name from Feminism to Gender Whatever, then support to your movement will increase.
Does it mean it's fair that this has to happen? No, but is it fair that a soda named Dog Sweat never gets bought, even if it is the best one in the world? No, but the world works this way and you have to adapt

In my (anti/post/non-feminist) opinion, you're trying to make it simpler than it really is. Feminism is not "all about equality", it's a sociological ideology on the nature of genders (or a group of ideologies). Feminists know this and so don't abandon the horrible term they trump out, because that would undermine the real definition. It's a bait and switch. Say equality, mean patriarchy.
deadsmileyface
jesse's dead
2,011 IQ
Quote by ehbacon
little bit though

you need to get that out of your head. it doesnt matter what its called, get over it.