Page 8 of 8
Saint78
julian wells
1,760 IQ
Deathrock is like surfier horror punk w/ a bigger influence on movies. Try some horror movie soundtracks. The 'Return of the Living Dead' soundtrack is fairly popular.
you're a stone fox
Last edited by Saint78 at Nov 26, 2012,
exdayvan
155 IQ
Ok

I need some recommendations

Tigers Jaw put me on to the whole pop-punk thing and I kinda like it so... here it goes. The bands I listen to.

Pygmy Shrews (grungy punk)
Tigers Jaw (pop punk)
Relient K (Punk??)
The Amity Affliction (hardcore/punk)

I need some hot progressions in my ears. Fast, nostalgic songs are my thing. PLEASE RECOMMEND SOME BANDS!!!
08L1V10N
UG Addict
4,654 IQ
Not pop-punk but give Balance and Composure at least a try.
Do you know MxPx ?
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Last edited by 08L1V10N at Jan 5, 2013,
jcwisco
21 IQ
Quote by exdayvan
Ok

I need some recommendations

Tigers Jaw put me on to the whole pop-punk thing and I kinda like it so... here it goes. The bands I listen to.

Pygmy Shrews (grungy punk)
Tigers Jaw (pop punk)
Relient K (Punk??)
The Amity Affliction (hardcore/punk)

I need some hot progressions in my ears. Fast, nostalgic songs are my thing. PLEASE RECOMMEND SOME BANDS!!!

http://www.mkepunk.com/
Free downloads of out of print stuff all approved by bands from Wisconsin.
Alligator Gun Pop Punk , Compound Red First cd Mr Mcroism before they went really emo is great, good ska band The Pacers, weaker youth Ensemble, Vesicular Bassalt Sclaugen 7" is one of the greatest 4 songs crazy talent the bass player went on to play with Boris the Sprinkler whom you can also find here for free...ect
NarwhalG2G
They're Red Hot
256 IQ
I'm looking for any possible recommendations here.

I like The Dead Milkmen, The Vandals, The Varukers, The Adicts, The Unseen, TSOL, The Dead Kennedys, Jello Biafra.

I don't really enjoy the Sex Pistols for some reason, but I acknowledge that they helped revolutionize punk music.
Quote by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
it's like I make threads knowing they're gonna be shit but I make them anyway

Quote by kertets
Wire his sack to the electrical socket the next time, little fucker will be shootin lightening bolts all over the house.
lavazza
K**e sold out
7,304 IQ
Quote by NarwhalG2G

I like The Dead Milkmen, The Vandals, The Varukers, The Adicts, The Unseen, TSOL, The Dead Kennedys, Jello Biafra.

You kind of like anything......that´s good....

For Varukers go deeper into the D-Beat and UK 82 stuff, like Discharge, Disorger, Chaos UK, GBH etc. For Adicts try some earlier UK stuff, but especially the Toy Dolls.
The Unseen are related to Street Punk stuff, such as Krum Bums or Time Bomb. For most of the rest you can simply go with the early hardcore stuff.
BlacksailsTippa
Dead Milkman
191 IQ
Quote by NarwhalG2G
I'm looking for any possible recommendations here.

I don't really enjoy the Sex Pistols for some reason, but I acknowledge that they helped revolutionize punk music.

For stuff like the Unseen, especially their older stuff check out A Global Threat ("What The **** Will Change?" is great), The Virus and Clit 45 (I guess).
llanafreak44
boom tah boom-boom tah
3,358 IQ
So I recently just got back into Street Punk again, hahaha. I'm looking for well thought out, well written, melodic, fast street punk. Here's some examples of what I'm digging.

Krum Bums
A Global Threat (New and old equally)
The Unseen (Mainly their older material)
Self Destruct
Complete Control
The Virus (with Paul)
Ticket48
-Thread Killer-
104 IQ
I just checked out The Flatliners and I'm digging their music. I was going to pick up one of their CDs (Cavalcade most likely) for a small roadtrip in two days, but I wasn't sure which to get. Any suggestions?

Do they have other songs like He Was a Jazzman (Shithawks was pretty fantastic as well)?

I quickly looked them up and found their first record, Destroy to Create, was suppose to be ska/punk, how does it hold up against the newer stuff? Good place to start? Or, not so much considering they deviate away from that sound (from what I've read)?

Edit: Flatliner fans, any similar artists you guys like?
Quote by bizkitday4eva
You know suicide is just as bad as killing yourself

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
Last edited by Ticket48 at May 23, 2013,
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
are they that band that used to be ska but then became orgcore? if they're who i'm thinking of, maybe check out iron chic or get bent or something.
painmedicine
24 IQ
This is why its a bad idea to start a punk thread.. same discussion everywhere.
My 2 cents
NoMeansNo
La Dispute
Defeater
More Than Life
Balance & Composure
Touche Amore
Brutality Will Prevail [Hardcore Sludge]
The Living End
Anureusm June
Tiger Army
A very punk influenced band is Reggie & The Full EffecT
After The Burial
Also alot more post hardcore but still an interesting band
Dance Gavin Dance
All oldschool or normal punk bands have probably been named. so i shared my post hardcore collection or punk influenced bands that ive been listening to
Also worth a mention is early chronic future
Also Streetlight Manifesto
7 Seconds
Being As An Ocean
And Atari Teenage Riot
DrunkDriver
Mustard Plug
Last edited by painmedicine at May 29, 2013,
IronMagnon
21 IQ
Kantuta - fastcore almost to the point of powerviolence, but still crusty as ****

Just caught these guys in Brooklyn. Drummer/singers a Peruvian dude so we bonded haha
Here's their 7 inch complete with shitty sound quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQauyLweR_8
Last edited by IronMagnon at Jun 10, 2013,
CynicalOptimist
Oral sex
10 IQ
Alright, I need more music. I'm really into Dead Kennedys, Reagan Youth, Minor Threat, Fugazi, Night Birds, The Flatliners, The Menzingers, Wire(Punk? I don't even know), Iceage(?), Descendents, Black Flag, and Against Me.

I'm not looking for anything specific, just anything good.
jakesmellspoo
turndiningbackintoeating
2,165 IQ
Quote by CynicalOptimist
Alright, I need more music. I'm really into Dead Kennedys, Reagan Youth, Minor Threat, Fugazi, Night Birds, The Flatliners, The Menzingers, Wire(Punk? I don't even know), Iceage(?), Descendents, Black Flag, and Against Me.

I'm not looking for anything specific, just anything good.

check out Government Warning, Night Fever, Nuclear Santa Claust, Dead Milkmen, Agent Orange, Adolescents, ALL (Descendents alter ego), Angry Samoans, Dag Nasty, Dayglo Abortions, Deep Wound, Defect Defect, The Degenerics, Dillinger Four, For Science, The Replacements, Minutemen, Mischief Brew, and Andrew Jackson Jihad

i figure you might already know them since you listen to Night Birds (**** yeah), but if not check out the Ergs!, Psyched to Die, and Hunchback.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
CynicalOptimist
Oral sex
10 IQ
Thanks for the awesome recommendations! The Ergs! and Dayglo Abortions are pretty great. Adolescents, Mischief Brew, and AJJ I already knew and loved but failed to mention.

EDIT: It's worth noting that I checked out every band and liked most of them but I'm a little cheap when it comes to buying music...if you catch my drift. Cheap music can be hard to come by *cough cough*.
Last edited by CynicalOptimist at Jul 28, 2013,
SuperBlob
DIRECT HIT!
1,589 IQ
Quote by jakesmellspoo
check out Government Warning, Night Fever, Nuclear Santa Claust, Dead Milkmen, Agent Orange, Adolescents, ALL (Descendents alter ego), Angry Samoans, Dag Nasty, Dayglo Abortions, Deep Wound, Defect Defect, The Degenerics, Dillinger Four, For Science, The Replacements, Minutemen, Mischief Brew, and Andrew Jackson Jihad

i figure you might already know them since you listen to Night Birds (**** yeah), but if not check out the Ergs!, Psyched to Die, and Hunchback.

Dood. Dood. House Boat. Dood.
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Jes Johnson
82 IQ
Personally, I'm a big fan of bands that combine punk with rock n' roll influences. Electric Frankenstein, Turbonegro, Guitar Wolf, Dwarves, New Bomb Turks. The Fistful of Rock n' Roll comps are really killer, everyone should listen to those.
Abomination94
Nocturnal Dominion
359 IQ
Hey guys I've just started getting into Punk, I'm enjoying Crust and Powerviolence a lot. Can I get some rec's? Some bands I already enjoy are

Iskra
Doom
Amebix

I don't really know much else.
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
The Light chokes and dies
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
jakesmellspoo
turndiningbackintoeating
2,165 IQ
i'd like to help you, but i still haven't listened to the Amebix record i bought almost 4 years ago.

try making an Amebix station on Last.fm. might help if you don't mind the commercials.

also, listen to Night Birds.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
triprocksteady
21 IQ
Quote by Abomination94
Hey guys I've just started getting into Punk, I'm enjoying Crust and Powerviolence a lot. Can I get some rec's? Some bands I already enjoy are

Iskra
Doom
Amebix

I don't really know much else.

Nausea and Witch Hunt are mad crusty. I know a powerviolence band from NC called Leer theyre really ****ing good
[forbidden link]
and my friends have a band called Neighborhood Shit they have a shitty demo but theyre working on a good one. crust/hardcore and a little powerviolence
[forbidden link]
Abomination94
Nocturnal Dominion
359 IQ
Cheers, I'll check out Witch Hunt. Managed to find a few really cool bands on YouTube, I now know Nausea, Antisect, Extinction of Mankind and Dystopia (Human=Garbage is possibly the best thing I have ever heard). I'd still really like some more rec's though!

There's not much of Punk crowd on UG is there?
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
The Light chokes and dies
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
DiCarva
21 IQ
Can someone recommend me some of the most punk rock raw sounding bands?
Leonid Vilkov
578 IQ
Hi everyone! I'm new to the Punk sub forum. I've mostly been on the hardcore forum. I listen to a lot of hardcore and metalcore like Converge and Shai Hulud. Recently I've been listening to Iron Chic after seeing them play here about a year ago with Low Culture (I think) at some dudes house. (He owns his own independent label). ANYWAYS I'm really starting to get into a lot of punk styles and I really want to explore that side of my musical taste. So my first question is which of the bands do I listen to do YOU all think are closest to a punk style or have punk styles in them? My second question is what are some similar bands to stuff like Iron Chic and NOFX?

These are the bands I listen to
Beloved (US)
Between The Buried And Me
Botch
Cave In
The Chariot
Circa Survive
Coalesce
Codeseven
Converge
Deftones
The Dillinger Escape Plan
Earth Crisis
Elliott
The End
Fear Before
Fordirelifesake
Glassjaw
Hopesfall
Hum
In Pieces
Incubus
Iron Chic
Knut
Misery Signals
Narrows
NOFX
Norma Jean
Open Hand
Poison The Well
Rise Against
Saves The Day
Senses Fail
Shai Hulud
Skycamefalling
Smashing Pumpkins
Taken
This Day Forward
Thrice
Thursday
7 Angels 7 Plagues
JohnnySardine
469 IQ
Quote by HelpTravesty
Also came upon this article through a friend:http://www.avclub.com/article/beginners-guide-bouncy-buzz-pop-punk-201853?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=ShareTools&utm_campaign=default

Got a decent timeline of pop punk in there, enjoy.

Hey Up !!

Is "pop punk" an American term ?

In the UK in the late 70s the bands referred to as "pop punk" in the above article were know as "new wave".
Carlitos Guey
10 IQ
I've been listening to punk for over 20 years so most of these bands are old but IMHO the best:

UK Subs
GBH
Peter and the Test Tube Babies
Dead Kennedys
Blitz
Suicidal Tendencies (first album/Freedumb)
Agnostic Front
The Business
The 4 Skins
The Adicts
The Exploited
The Expelled
The Ejected
The Partisans
Molotov (Mexican band)
Attak
Vice Squad
Buzzcocks
Sex Pistols
Ramones
Green Day
Stiff Little Fingers
The Anti-Nowhere League
Angelic Upstarts
The Last Resort
Combat 84
Cyco Miko
The Vibrators
Rezillos
Chaos UK
Sticky Filth (New Zealand band)
Warners (New Zealand band)
Toy Love (New Zealand band)
Flesh D-Vice (New Zealand band)
The Stranglers
One Way System
Los Revolucionarios (Chilean ska band)
DOA
Anti-Pasti
Abrasive Wheels

Can someone recommend me some of the most punk rock raw sounding bands?

Not sure if you can embed YouTube vids but the debut self-titled album by Suicidal Tendencies fits that description.
Last edited by Carlitos Guey at Jan 15, 2015,