Page 101 of 101
Quote by M00NAGEDAYDREAM
BP is definitely saturated with IPAs
BP Peppermint Lost at Sea legit sound awful
How many Sculpins can you have??
I also didn't enjoy BP Watermelon. Watermelon is a tricky flavor to deal with.
BP Thai Chili Wahoo is

Also I've recently had Lagunitas Sour Ale and its not great.

Aunt Sally? Bought a six pack of that in August or something, still one or two left. That's a long time for any beer to hang around in my fridge.
Quote by FrogstarWorldA
Aunt Sally? Bought a six pack of that in August or something, still one or two left. That's a long time for any beer to hang around in my fridge.

Actually its not an anniversary ale that's my bad. I was specifically talking about 12th of Never.

Had Jolly Pumpkin earlier today
also Tsingtao

Has anybody heard of the Sierra Nevada recall? Apparently their capper cracked the lip, leaving bits of glass in the beer.

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Last edited by M00NAGEDAYDREAM at Feb 4, 2017,
Talking to Sierra Nevada tomorrow. Ken Grossman might show up. Let me know if you want me to pass along any questions.

Quote by Pastafarian96
Why don't they make more beers like otra vez and maybe they should do a legit sour 👍
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
Quote by TheChaz
Otra Vez nasty.

sm GODDAMN h
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
Pliny the Younger and Elder, respectively
edit: replaced it with a better picture

Quote by Pastafarian96
Last edited by M00NAGEDAYDREAM at Feb 15, 2017,
Quote by TheChaz
Otra Vez nasty.

It's a perfectly respectable gose, especially given the price.
It was my privilege
I wouldn't consider Otra Vez a traditional Gose, but yeah its not that bad

speaking of Gose if anybody in CO has the chance to try Odell's Blackberry Gose let me know how it is

Also, Sierra Nevada seminar was pretty chill. Got to talk to a head brewer and a production manager. was not able to ask your questions

I'm going to San Francisco next week to a lecture from the same brewer from Sierra Nevada and the old beer professor at my school aka The Pope of Foam

Quote by Pastafarian96
Quote by M00NAGEDAYDREAM
I wouldn't consider Otra Vez a traditional Gose, but yeah its not that bad

speaking of Gose if anybody in CO has the chance to try Odell's Blackberry Gose let me know how it is

Yes, I buy it frequently. Fantastic beer.
It was my privilege
Quote by StewieSwan
Yes, I buy it frequently. Fantastic beer.

Jealous I've really grown to like Odell. It's a shame I can't find any here

Quote by Pastafarian96
wtf is a "sour ale" by american standards? as in similar drinks if you were to compare them to belgian or german or even english styles. is there some kind of consistency in flavour?

I drink a lot of euro (german or belgian) stuff that could be classed as it according to wiki but I've only really heard the term "sour" specifically used by americans and the wiki is quite broad about what is classed as sour in the US. says it's wild yeast based usually, but I've tried quite a few wild yeast brews in the past that I wouldn't dare call sour.

I actually have this in my cupboard for a while now and not tried it: http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/wild-beer-sourdough/240645/ as I've only been in the mood for porters and weizen lately (been drinking loads of cheap erdinger)

edit: actually looking up that sourdough beer further and the brewery has a nice little article/blurb on sours so nvm I guess. still kinda interested in what is considered sour in the US, if it's just german and belgian rip offs or is something completely different, I usually avoid imported US stuff just because there is so much local and european stuff catching my attention (and most beer shops here just import ipas since they get kinda snobby about US doing other styles)
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Come to think of it, I've never seen a proper sour brewed by any european breweries. Maybe you guys just don't do them, like how american breweries won't touch chocolate stouts.
It was my privilege
Quote by StewieSwan
Come to think of it, I've never seen a proper sour brewed by any european breweries. Maybe you guys just don't do them, like how american breweries won't touch chocolate stouts.

really? weird.

am actually planning on picking up a bunch of chocolate/salted caramel stouts later ha#

I guess the "sour" thing is just takes on belgian or german styles taken to an extreme/doing something different, as was the case with IPAs?
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
never buy a chocolate ______ that claims they put real chocolate into it - it's a marketing gimmick because it contributes nothing (unless its malt)

sort of like the time Dogfish Head had 'Moondust' in their beer

Quote by Pastafarian96
Quote by M00NAGEDAYDREAM
never buy a chocolate ______ that claims they put real chocolate into it - it's a marketing gimmick because it contributes nothing (unless its malt)

sort of like the time Dogfish Head had 'Moondust' in their beer

I disagree, it can work well and I can taste the chocolate perfectly fine compared to a traditional "chocolate" stout. just have to get it from a competent brewer (ie anyone whose expertise isn't just all about variations of ipa). that said I have had mediocre ones in the past which had added chocolate that ended up being pointless.

I'm getting these at the store in a few mins if they have it (should do):

http://wildbeerco.com/beers/wildebeest/
http://wildbeerco.com/beers/millionaire/

also this because I'm curious and I like tonka bean flavoured stuff (think I might hate it though but finding out is half the fun tasting stuff): http://wildbeerco.com/beers/billionaire/
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
what I mean is from a brewing standpoint adding chocolate in bar form to wort literally adds nothing, other than killing your shelf life

nibs -yes
literal bars - no

Quote by Pastafarian96
Last edited by M00NAGEDAYDREAM at Feb 16, 2017,
Quote by theguitarist
Wild Beer Co

Reading the description - I can't tell if it'll be good or bad. From what I gather they're sour influenced. One bothers me because the ABV is so high it seems like the alcohol flavor would take over. The Salted etc sounds promising. Either way let us know

Quote by Pastafarian96
Quote by M00NAGEDAYDREAM
what I mean is from a brewing standpoint adding chocolate in bar form to wort literally adds nothing, other than killing your shelf life

nibs -yes
literal bars - no

oh yeah it is always nibs in the good ones I've tried.

Quote by M00NAGEDAYDREAM
Reading the description - I can't tell if it'll be good or bad. From what I gather they're sour influenced. One bothers me because the ABV is so high it seems like the alcohol flavor would take over. The Salted etc sounds promising. Either way let us know

the salted one is solid, have had it a bunch in the past. only thing is because they use wild yeasts which can sometimes be a bit "enthusiastic" (seen that myself a bunch when I'd make sourdough regularly) and they suggest letting it sit around in your cupboard for a while, when I eventually end up opening it up, the thing instantly foams out the bottle, no matter how gentle I am everywhere. same thing happens to me sometimes with aged tripels too. bit of a dice roll if it happens since I've bought two bottles from the same batch before and one will behave when I open it while the other won't.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by StewieSwan
Come to think of it, I've never seen a proper sour brewed by any european breweries.

uhh what

it's a Belgian style

Quote by theguitarist
wtf is a "sour ale" by american standards? as in similar drinks if you were to compare them to belgian or german or even english styles. is there some kind of consistency in flavour?

I drink a lot of euro (german or belgian) stuff that could be classed as it according to wiki but I've only really heard the term "sour" specifically used by americans and the wiki is quite broad about what is classed as sour in the US. says it's wild yeast based usually, but I've tried quite a few wild yeast brews in the past that I wouldn't dare call sour.

I actually have this in my cupboard for a while now and not tried it: http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/wild-beer-sourdough/240645/ as I've only been in the mood for porters and weizen lately (been drinking loads of cheap erdinger)

edit: actually looking up that sourdough beer further and the brewery has a nice little article/blurb on sours so nvm I guess. still kinda interested in what is considered sour in the US, if it's just german and belgian rip offs or is something completely different, I usually avoid imported US stuff just because there is so much local and european stuff catching my attention (and most beer shops here just import ipas since they get kinda snobby about US doing other styles)

Some beers are wilds and sours at the same time, but not always. A sour doesn't have to have any wild yeast strains to be sour (afaik.)
Quote by Dreadnought
uhh what

it's a Belgian style

And IPAs are technically a British style

speaking of that, have you had the monk's café flemmish sour ale?
It was my privilege
Last edited by StewieSwan at Feb 16, 2017,
Have you never had a Flanders red ale?
Don't get me wrong, no one is doing more sours right now than America (which is awesome), but I have had some fantastic sours from Europe. The Belgian ones I've had (probably the majority) are consistently great.

Alternatively, America is by and large pretty bad at other quintessental European styles, like the doppelbock (consistently overpowering and victim of the "barrel aged" shtick, quadrupels (consistently over hopped), etc

Quote by StewieSwan

speaking of that, have you had the monk's café flemmish sour ale?

Not sure
Quote by Dreadnought
A sour doesn't have to have any wild yeast strains to be sour (afaik.)

true

also I would be hesitant of buying an imported sour. there's so many factors that can alter it dramatically considering how - for a lack of a better word - delicate sours are

Quote by Pastafarian96
Went to an Sierra Nevada AMA lead by a head brewer and a professor in beer

Tried Sierra Nevada's barrel aged Bigfoot with ginger, Side Car orange pale ale, Time and Again Double IPA, and Rubotto Sour Saison with raspberries. Enjoyed all of them except for the sour. It essentially tasted like hot dog water. Bigfoot was the best

Also had Lindemans Lambic which is terrible and Belching Beaver's Ol' Dirty Barrel which is fantastic.

Oh yeah also had an Altbier and a mango Gose, but I don't remember who they were from.

Quote by Pastafarian96
Last edited by M00NAGEDAYDREAM at Feb 20, 2017,
I went to this big liquor store in boulder yesterday because gf and I had an itching for a good stout (it's stout month in boulder hmu) and I had my heart set on Lugene Chocolate Milk Stout by O'Dell. I've heard it's a fantastic imperial stout. I haven't seen it in ages, but this place has everything, so I figured they would. Looked around, couldn't find it. So we ask one of the guys working there if they have it. As soon as I asked about it all the light left his eyes and his demeanor went from happy-go-lucky to near suicidal. He says, "No, man. They don't bottle that one anymore. The ingredients were just getting to expensive. I think it's tap only, so you'd have to go to the brewery if you want to try it..." He seemed devastated.

Anybody here try it before they stopped distributing it?
It was my privilege
Quote by Dreadnought

Some beers are wilds and sours at the same time, but not always. A sour doesn't have to have any wild yeast strains to be sour (afaik.)

I was hoping for some kinda of consistency in unique process or ingredients like you get with other beer types but I get the feeling "sour" can be slapped on quite a few things as long as it has the taste. similar to the way you can slap "wheat" beer on a lot of things if you ignore the odd purist german or belgian attitude.

Quote by Dreadnought
Don't get me wrong, no one is doing more sours right now than America (which is awesome), but I have had some fantastic sours from Europe. The Belgian ones I've had (probably the majority) are consistently great.

Alternatively, America is by and large pretty bad at other quintessental European styles, like the doppelbock (consistently overpowering and victim of the "barrel aged" shtick, quadrupels (consistently over hopped), etc

Not sure

yeah, I've tried a few american attempts at belgian styles. just lol. tbf they always label it "-style" to get away with however they've fucked with it/made it a stealth ipa.

I haven't actually seen many imported american sours but I've noticed a few breweries I'm fond of doing their takes on it.

I do now just recall having a very good american sour on tap a few days after new years though, the bar I was at had a keg takeover during xmas and nye from some american breweries and they had some leftover they were still serving. dunno what it was though, I was out of it and I'm terrible at remembering what I've tried and when I do remember having tried something, I forget if I liked it. should probably start keeping a tasting journal or something but that seems too dorky for something I do to chill.

on the bock note, I had some amazing strong bock at that pub a few weeks ago, but again I can't remember what it was. I only recall drinking it because I was like "wow this is good" and started reading up on the style on my phone out of curiosity.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Yeah I use Untappd occasionally, but more often than not I forget about 50% of what I've tried. Due to money and drinking less, I've been off the beer-trying train for awhile.
I should use untapped but most of the time I'll post it here, my gf will remember, or I'll write it in a journal. And yeah its very dorky but its getting to a point where I have to remember things. I'll even write side notes on food pairings

Quote by Pastafarian96
if I would do it for anything, I would do it for whisky because with beer, the mistake of getting something I hate again or the benefit of grabbing something I love is like £2-5 usually but whisky it ends up being a £40-£100 expense on a whole bottle (or like £5-£10 if I'm just chilling at a nice bar, but you're better off researching and buying whole bottles for the greatest stuff).

I also tend to prefer trying new stuff over regularly drinking lots of the same stuff. I end up being somewhat okay just making a point to remember a few beers that I love and always throw a bottle in with all the new stuff I picked up. but that does mean I miss a lot of things I enjoyed if I don't regularly see them around to remember them.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o