Page 9 of 9
HowSoonisNow
Banned
428 IQ
Quote by FireHawk
Anyone know how much those Ensoniq ESQ-1's are worth? I can get one for like $150. Is it worth it?

I used to have an Ensoniq SQ-2, which isn't much different. I bought it for 130 and sold it for much less because I was "quitting music". Looking back, I wish I would have kept it.
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!
728 IQ
Quote by HowSoonisNow
I used to have an Ensoniq SQ-2, which isn't much different. I bought it for 130 and sold it for much less because I was "quitting music". Looking back, I wish I would have kept it.

So you think I should grab it?
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,163 IQ
Generally most all-in-one type synths or synth modules are probably worth it at that sort of price.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Shut the mother#%$& up, $^%got. You have a #$%^ing terrible muther&@$#ing taste in %#$@ing music, @&%$ing movies and %&$#ing video games. Every time I see you on the forums, you are always saying something overrated and some $@&#ing sh*t. You are just mother$^@%ing ignorant as a whole.

Get a #%$@ing life or you will get banned for life.

Quote by Arby911
Kristen is very open-minded; believes that everyone is entitled to her opinion...

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16
omg its better than i imagined... so dark and cozy and warm...

Read this please. This as well.
BobDetroit
►Motor City ♪
514 IQ
Quote by WCPhils
You guys recommend any keyboards?

I've played piano for almost ten year but have never owned a keyboard.

My family has two pianos, but I figured I would practice more if I had a keyboard. Practicing on a piano is kind of annoying for anyone else in the room.

I probably wouldn't want to spend more then about $500

There is no substitute for the expressiveness of a real piano. Keyboards don't even come close. The only way to really practice piano is on a real piano. However I totally understand what you're saying and I own a couple keyboards and love playing them.

For quiet late night piano I use a Yamaha S80 (great weighted keys), my laptop, a set of headphones or my studio monitors, a midi cable, an outboard sound processor and $120 Native Instruments Alicia's keys. It sounds awesome. Here's some guy doing a demo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w04qwgcqB8g

I've seen weighted midi keyboards on eBay for less than $100. Hopefully you already have a set of headphones and a computer and you don't really need the outboard sound processor, you can use the internal sound on your computer. For under $500 for good piano sound nothing I have heard even comes close.
WCPhils
UnBanned
731 IQ
Quote by BobDetroit
There is no substitute for the expressiveness of a real piano. Keyboards don't even come close. The only way to really practice piano is on a real piano. However I totally understand what you're saying and I own a couple keyboards and love playing them.

For quiet late night piano I use a Yamaha S80 (great weighted keys), my laptop, a set of headphones or my studio monitors, a midi cable, an outboard sound processor and $120 Native Instruments Alicia's keys. It sounds awesome. Here's some guy doing a demo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w04qwgcqB8g

I've seen weighted midi keyboards on eBay for less than $100. Hopefully you already have a set of headphones and a computer and you don't really need the outboard sound processor, you can use the internal sound on your computer. For under $500 for good piano sound nothing I have heard even comes close.

Thanks!

I'll definitely look into that. I have a Macbook and some fairly good headphones, so that sounds like good idea.

I didn't even think of checking out eBay.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
HowSoonisNow
Banned
428 IQ
Did anyone see the front page of google today? Too bad you can't play the thing.
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,163 IQ
You can play it. You're probably just not doing it right. It worked fine for me last night. But it's not that great. There are tons of Moog soft synths that are way better.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Shut the mother#%$& up, $^%got. You have a #$%^ing terrible muther&@$#ing taste in %#$@ing music, @&%$ing movies and %&$#ing video games. Every time I see you on the forums, you are always saying something overrated and some $@&#ing sh*t. You are just mother$^@%ing ignorant as a whole.

Quote by Arby911
Kristen is very open-minded; believes that everyone is entitled to her opinion...

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16

HowSoonisNow
Banned
428 IQ
Quote by theogonia777
You can play it. You're probably just not doing it right. It worked fine for me last night. But it's not that great. There are tons of Moog soft synths that are way better.

I don't have the right browser. I'm not on my PC, so I can't update it. I'll have to play it later.
HowSoonisNow
Banned
428 IQ
I just got this beauty a few days ago

(the midi controller version).

It says I can plug a guitar or another synth into it on the box, but in the directions, it says I can't. Does anyone know about this? I would really like to be able to make this communicate with my alesis keyboard. I'm sick of having to plug everything into a laptop.
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,163 IQ
Any recommendation for a good theremin virtual instrument? I need one for this scene in a movie that I'm scoring. I could probably find one on my own, but this is a good excuse to bump this thread, so why not ask you all?
Quote by Hal-Sephira

Quote by Arby911

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16

Eweman
74 IQ
If anyone here could give me any advice I'd be really grateful.
I'm going to uni after the summer and I was hoping to get a keyboard to take with me. I probably want something with weighted keys and not too small as I'm used to playing piano. I think at a push I could save up about £400 over the summer if I work enough overtime but I'm not very knowledgeable about keyboards.
Thanks in advance
Quote by Next Hendrix
Walk in on your wife with another man.
Kill them both.
Go to prison in Louisiana.
Have conversation with the Devil.
Instant harmonica asskickery.
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,163 IQ
He'd probably be better off with a digital stage piano than a midi controller. Just because he plays piano, so a DSP would be similar in terms of feel. And most fully weighted midi controllers are probably a bit out of his range. Plus the "all in one" aspect of a DSP makes things so much easier.

My advice would be to go on whatever music site you like, check out the DSP section, and find stuff in your price range. And then go to your local music store and try out stuff and see what you like best. Casio and Yamaha make some pretty good shit in that price range.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

Quote by Arby911

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16

Last edited by theogonia777 at Jun 16, 2012,
Eweman
74 IQ
Thanks a lot
I think a dsp would be much better than a midi controller. All they have in my price range at my local store is a Korg sp170s for £399. That said I might be better buying something when I'm at uni seeing as there is a much bigger music store and then I won't have to worry about transporting it.
Quote by Next Hendrix
Walk in on your wife with another man.
Kill them both.
Go to prison in Louisiana.
Have conversation with the Devil.
Instant harmonica asskickery.
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,163 IQ
That's always a good idea. Definitely check out the store near your school. One thing to consider though is that many keyboards with built-in sounds are also midi-compatible and can be used as controllers. This is more common with synths than digital pianos, though I know that some DPs can be used as controllers. I'm just not entirely sure which ones.

The disadvantage is that they generally give you less controllers than a dedicated controller, so they aren't always as useful for midi applications, though they work fine for inputting notes or basic control of softsynths. But since you don't seem to have midi stuff in mind as your primary thing, you should be fine.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

Quote by Arby911

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16

FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!
728 IQ
Quote by ng117

Should I just learn both hands separate until I can play both lines flawlessly without thinking, then very slowly add both hands together? Can anyone share any exercises that might help?

That can work but I think learning both together slowly is a better idea then slowly speed up.

Learn your chords and locations. Once you get those down its not so bad, as chording becomes easy fast.
jwizzle5786
JJ
257 IQ
Hey guys, I'm interested in getting a keyboard, and figured it would be better to bump this thread than to make a new one.

So, for price, I want something around 200-400 dollars. I can go higher, though it would just take me longer to save up that money.

I want to be able to fully play with sounds. Like, I want to be able to put in sounds of trombones and violins and usual keyboard / synth wank.

I'm not too terribly tech savy, so I'm not sure how well I could work a Midi keyboard. I would also not really want to play with my laptop, so I would like to avoid this option all together.

I appreciate any help you can give me.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Full-Sized-Sensitive-Lighted-Keyboard/dp/B001FSJC5A/ref=sr_1_6?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1348199569&sr=1-6&keywords=keyboard

That seems to be along the lines of what I'm thinking. What do you guys think?
Last edited by jwizzle5786 at Sep 21, 2012,
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!
728 IQ
Quote by jwizzle5786
Hey guys, I'm interested in getting a keyboard, and figured it would be better to bump this thread than to make a new one.

So, for price, I want something around 200-400 dollars. I can go higher, though it would just take me longer to save up that money.

I want to be able to fully play with sounds. Like, I want to be able to put in sounds of trombones and violins and usual keyboard / synth wank.

I'm not too terribly tech savy, so I'm not sure how well I could work a Midi keyboard. I would also not really want to play with my laptop, so I would like to avoid this option all together.

I appreciate any help you can give me.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Full-Sized-Sensitive-Lighted-Keyboard/dp/B001FSJC5A/ref=sr_1_6?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1348199569&sr=1-6&keywords=keyboard

That seems to be along the lines of what I'm thinking. What do you guys think?

I'm not really into sample based keyboards but if you can stretch your budget to 500 the Yamaha mm6 is great.

In my opinion sample based keyboards more so than other instruments are really you get what you pay for. Your best bet is to go try out a few in your price range.

With all that say I am more into midi an analogue keys, but theogonia77 ca prob help you out in your price range.
jwizzle5786
JJ
257 IQ
Quote by FireHawk
I'm not really into sample based keyboards but if you can stretch your budget to 500 the Yamaha mm6 is great.

In my opinion sample based keyboards more so than other instruments are really you get what you pay for. Your best bet is to go try out a few in your price range.

With all that say I am more into midi an analogue keys, but theogonia77 ca prob help you out in your price range.

Thanks. I really don't wanna go to 500, because then I'll just be tempted to go higher and get like a korg or something.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YPG-235-76-Key-Portable-Premium/dp/B003FRMRC4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3FB6IMB2Z33MM&coliid=I31VPUH2QV4TXD

That seems to be pretty much what I want. I think.
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!
728 IQ
Can't get this POS to work. Its a ART MConnect MIDI to USB adapter...I want to use midi in on my ESQ-1 to program...when I get a good riff...so I don't have to play and program...
rabidguitarist
Ethnomusicologist
1,735 IQ
Quote by FireHawk
If you find any let me know!

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/kontakt-by-native-instruments/downloads

Go down to the '9 World Instruments' download- there's a really nice Marimba NKI in there. You might have to sign up, but it's worth it for those 9 instruments.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!
728 IQ
Quote by rabidguitarist
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/kontakt-by-native-instruments/downloads

Go down to the '9 World Instruments' download- there's a really nice Marimba NKI in there. You might have to sign up, but it's worth it for those 9 instruments.

thanks i will give it a try!
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!
728 IQ
Anyone own a DX-7. I got one nearby I could get for $200. Not sure if I want to spend money. but is it worth it? I just bought a CZ-1000 and a talkbox...but trying to save money to move out...the question is...should i stretch my monthly music budget? I like this one is local...
BobDetroit
►Motor City ♪
514 IQ
Quote by FireHawk
Anyone own a DX-7. I got one nearby I could get for $200. Not sure if I want to spend money. but is it worth it? I just bought a CZ-1000 and a talkbox...but trying to save money to move out...the question is...should i stretch my monthly music budget? I like this one is local...

I see this was over a month ago but did you buy that DX-7 ? I want one. I'm in love with NI FM8 right now. Wow.. sigh...
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!
728 IQ
Quote by BobDetroit
I see this was over a month ago but did you buy that DX-7 ? I want one. I'm in love with NI FM8 right now. Wow.. sigh...

Nah I had just bought the CZ-1000 and an offer got accepted on hosue i was looking at at the time so timing wasn't right :/

CZ actually isn't that much different sounding. I prefer my ESQ-1 over both synths though...
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,163 IQ
So do any of you guys actually play keyboard? It seems like 90% of the people in this thread only care about using MIDI controllers to plunk notes into their DAWs but don't actually play keyboard with any level of proficiency.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

Quote by Arby911

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16

FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!
728 IQ
I own a CZ-1000 and ESQ-1 so I can play a bit of the boards :p

Even when I record midi I play it, but then I usually clean it up a bit if I can't get it perfect after 2-3 attempts.

I also use to rock a keystation 61es w/ FL Studio live with my band. Midi controller but I played it all live. If I ever get back to playing live I want to take my CZ and use it. ESQ to heavy :/
Last edited by FireHawk at Nov 20, 2012,
BobDetroit
►Motor City ♪
514 IQ
Quote by theogonia777
So do any of you guys actually play keyboard? It seems like 90% of the people in this thread only care about using MIDI controllers to plunk notes into their DAWs but don't actually play keyboard with any level of proficiency.
We've all been too busy plunking notes into your DAWs for the last year to notice this..

But yes, I'm a piano player. How about the rest of you musicians? Are you still out there?