ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy
Join date: Nov 2008
5,267 IQ
#1
So I got the bright idea to take some dielectric grease, the kind we use in automotive to make better connections, and make them last longer against weathering on things like spark plugs, and light bulbs, and stick it on the end of a cable, and lube up the input jack ends. I figured, hey, since my jacks are all scratchy, and loosing contact due to being dirty, why not put some conductive grease on there, it would ensure a clean connection every time...


And it worked! Beautifully. All the scratchy jacks and jacks I constantly had to clean were fixed, no more problems.

Discuss the benefits, if you've ever heard of this before, and the consequences of doing so (if there are any).
D_M_I
Omniscient
Join date: Aug 2011
107 IQ
#2
Never tried it. I would be concerned that it would just cause more dirt to collect.
Roc8995
Moderator
Join date: Nov 2005
2,050 IQ
#3
I would too. Grease is usually meant for enclosed or sealed apparatuses because it picks up dirt and dust so well. For dirty pots and jacks, I'd use contact cleaner. Plus, if you get too much grease going on it could short the jack or pot out.
senanimach9
Registered User
Join date: Apr 2010
38 IQ
#4
I don't see why it wouldn't be a good idea from some setups. I have a number of pedals on my board that are constantly plugged in, I think grease would be great for those guys!