We really need one of these for EG. Sorry for ripping you off, 311.

Noobs - if you want real 'Which Guitar' help please provide the following:

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Favorite Artists? - Are there any guitarists whose tone that you'd like to get close to?

Preferences? - What body shapes, bridges, neck profiles, brands, number of frets etc. do you like/want? Be as specific in this area as you possibly can.

Pickups? - Do you want actives, passives, humbuckers, single coils? What configuration are you looking for?

New or Used? - Lots of great guitars out there used, and a guaranteed way to get the most bang for your buck.

Location? - Where are you located? The more detail you can give us, the more we can help you. We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly, because prices and markets fluctuate throughout the world, and we can help further if we know what city you are in to see what used gear is available near you (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc).

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.

Paragraphs of information about yourself are nice and all but chances are people won't read it word for word and will skip over looking for these 6 things I listed.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Nov 20, 2011,
Yes, thank you. Someone needed to do one of these. Sick of the dumb "Which guitar do I want uh Schecter or Epiphone kthnx" threads without information..

EDIT: I truly think you should add "Current Amp" near the top of the list. It is 99% of the time the first question asked in those threads if it is not already provided. Rather than just "Current Gear". Just a thought!
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at Nov 20, 2011,
you forgot What Styles Of Music Do You PLay. makes it easier to recommend guitars better suited to the player.
Quote by monwobobbo
you forgot What Styles Of Music Do You PLay. makes it easier to recommend guitars better suited to the player.

See my sig.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Definitely "What style of music do you play?" and more in depth on current gear as stated above. I also think experience is a key thing too considering how often the forums are bombarded with beginners not knowing where to start and and going way over their heads, but most of all, favorite artist as well. Even though its not very creative or original, I know many players who strictly desire the tone and appeal of their favroite guitarist.