Page 439 of 439
So I'm probably going to sell my flint. I love it and it's a great pedal, but I find that I like to use about 4 or so different sounds and so I find myself moving knobs a lot between songs. I'd rather get a pedal with presets so I can have those staples just ready to go whenever. I'll still probably tweak the knobs a ton, but being able to just switch between a few sounds with a switch is going to be way more convenient on stage.

So there's the obvious options: space, big sky, empress reverb, neunaber+exp, source audio ventris when it comes out, h9

I have a slight bias against the space and big sky because they've been out a little while now and it seems like the default pedals to go to if you want a big reverb. That doesn't take them completely out of the picture, but I think they'd have to really wow me above and beyond the others. Especially since they're the most expensive two.

So the h9 seems a little bit too limited for me. I like having knobs to mess with. That was the initial reason I moved to a pedalboard over my pod hd500. So the h9 I think is out. Plus the price is a slippery slope since I'd probably get the 400 one and end up buying extra sounds for it.

The ventris seems like it's going to be cool. Nice knob interface. Got enough presets for me. It'll be the new guy of the bunch so that could potentially mean they can be a little more forward thinking with the sounds. But that's just speculation since it isn't even done being developed yet. It is a nice size though. And source audio has stepped up their game big time with the nemesis and the digital overdrives.

The empress is the current new guy. And seems to have a ton of great sounds. And some more unique stuff that I may or may not use. Plus they will be adding stuff as they go, which is something I'm super into. At 450 it's pretty pricey, so it would also have to be a clear winner to drop that kind of cash.

The neunaber stuff is great and I used to own a stereo wet. I really liked it but I decided to try a couple different routes after I decided I needed 100% wet capabilities. The couple pedals I've owned since then have been great but I definitely sometimes miss the trails of the wet sometimes. So lush. I thought the flint 80s would satisfy that need but it isn't quite the same. This one would also be the simplest interface of the bunch which I can appreciate. Definitely a top contender.

The space and the big sky are obviously great and have been proven to work super well in a variety of situations. My biggest problem with them is the screens and having to scroll through stuff. Totally willing to do that having come from a multifx background, just not super excited about it. But Not a total deal breaker.

Thoughts? Sorry for the rant haha
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
ibanezguitars44 dank wall of text

I can't tell you how absolutely impressed I was with the Empress. Like actually inspiring levels of awesome sounds packed in every goddamn mode. I also find I prefer pedals without screens unless it's a delay for the dank maths. (I plan to get a Time Traveler when I scoop an Arp-87 this summer)
So that really is incredible.
Though, the functionality of the Neunaber stuff with their expression controller is awesome. I still fucking hate their switches though. 
Yeah I did not realize how long that post was hahahaha

That's good to hear about the empress though. Hopefully I can find one to spend a little time with. If you could hook me up with one I'll send you the klone and whatever else you want as collateral haha
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
hey guys long time no see. wondering if you could help me figure out this fuzz tone/effect starts at 2:06

Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Linqua5150 I mean, to my ear that can be almost anything. If I play a fuzz into my orange it almost always sounds like that. 
Kinda just sounds like running a fuzz that's capable of some pretty nasty shit with the gain turned to a pretty moderate setting. You could probably approximate it with most fuzz pedals. 

I was actually getting super similar sounds earlier into my buddy's Meatsmoke with his Baritone guitar. 

Aaron Turner uses tons of different shit live between this and his other projects, so it'd be hard to say for sure what is being used. Good shot it's dirt from an amp though if I were to guess. Though recordings mean it could be anything under the sunn.
Also Brian Cook is on that record and he's bae. hahaha

das jus me doe
Last edited by VishNuRoXoUt at Mar 26, 2017,
even a big muff? i was thinking maybe there is something going on in the background like ring mod for those subtle oscillations but im honestly not sure, i have yet to actually get a fuzz pedal. i was planning on a big muff but i was really curious about a sound like this, and maybe some more extreme versions of that, getting more into noisy textures lately

EDIT: youve made me realize that the oscillations are probably other tracks entirely and thats more what im asking about
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Last edited by Linqua5150 at Mar 26, 2017,
Looked up an interview and Faith from Mammifer mentioned using an ibanez mica fuzz. Maybe look into that?

http://www.blackmagazin.com/?p=16281

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Linqua5150 Well damn near every board I've seen Aaron Turner use he's had the Moog Ring Mod on there.
It's definitely hard to pick up what's going on there, but having owned that Moog I bet it could do it. hahaha. Ring Mod is a weird beast to tame. 
VishNuRoXoUt  yeah the only reason i looked into the ring mods is because it sounded like something i was altogether unfamiliar with(like ring mods) and i found he used the moog on an effects database website. i wasnt sure tho because when i looked everything i could find about that pedal sounded more synthy so my best guess was that he was combining it with a fuzz with a low mix setting, and using an expression pedal for the LFO(?) oscillations
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
VishNuRoXoUt

Wait what's wrong with the switches? I never had an issue with mine and I smashed it a bunch of times during post rock show freak outs hahaha

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Linqua5150 There's a pretty large range of sounds that can come out of them. My buddy Maxwell uses it to get these really gnarly bell tones.
I'm incompetent, so I only ever used mine for the carrier out to do this shit. 
ibanezguitars44 awesome thanks for the interview and that definitely seems like it couldve been the fuzz they used
VishNuRoXoUt after seeing that video i kind of feel like my guess isnt super far off
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
I'll echo the suggestion of a ringer of some kind for generating those background overtones. There also seems to be some kind of subtle phasing or flanging going on.

The fuzz is going to be one of those that can get spitty as a satanic camel. A classic muff wouldn't be my first choice for that, but some modern muff-style pedals might do it. Let me think a bit.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Did some "fuzzy" thinking:

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
Or you could go full on Catalinbread...

alhaq369
ibanezguitars44 the reverb quest continues.....

I am not a fan of the stock WET sound these days, but I do like the plate algorithm. Find myself using that quite a bit these days. I usually just set up a few pedals on the floor, the usual guys being OCD > DD7 > WET > DITTO. Simple, but effective.
The dd7 is awesome. The only reason I got rid of mine is because it was so broken. Hahaha. Nothing worked properly on it. But 80% of the time I could get it on the dotted 8th mode and it would be great for that kind of stuff.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I usually have my DD7 on the analog mode. DM2 repeats, but with tap tempo and no clock noise. What's not to like? That said, I am keen to try using reverse mode more. I've never really got good at using it effectively, but my bandmate uses reverse on his DL4 quite a bit and I like what he does with it. I have this vague notion in my head that two DD7s would be nice combo for normal guitar stuff (i.e. there are definitely better choices for more ambient stuff - such as the El Capistan and Context combo). Like I could have one in analog mode and the other in reverse, or I could switch them both to digital and easily tap in different times for each to do delays that rhythmically "bounce" off each other. Stuff like that. I could just get the newer Boss DD500, but I would hate to program it and switch through presets, where-as I could change shit on two separate DD7s quickly and easily. 

I dunno, just a thought.

I spent a little time setting up Reaper on my PC the other day (as opposed to my stupid goddamn shitty macbook which I hate...). The first little step in getting my recording set up sorted out
You still have your ct5? Use that for reverse! Haha. That's what I do a lot of the time if I need more "normal" sounds from it. Plus with the new firmware you can hold the momentary switch in mode 1 and have it freeze indefinitely. So basically I can have a reverse delay with infinite repeats.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣