Page 108 of 108
MatrixClaw
UG God
10,723 IQ
Quote by luke7848
Hi! I have been researching on microphones to use for a cab in a live set up and get everything from a large diaphragm to a "pencil" microphone. i run off of:

Head- Marshall DSL 100H

Cab- Marshall MX412A

Guitar- Les Paul Standard Pro 2015

Please help! We have a gig coming up in the next few weeks and the microphone I use is NOT cutting it. We play contemp. Christian and some rock. I usually like more low freq. sounds but still want to achieve high freq. sounds as well without alot of buzzing or screeching. Thank You!

If you don't already have one, get a Shure SM57. Most popular mic for micing guitar amps, among many other things. There are other popular choices out there, but aside from the Sennheiser e609 and Audix i5, expect to spend twice the price, or more, for a quality of sound that's definitely not twice as good. For instance: my favorite mic for electric guitar is the Beyerdynamic M201TG, but it costs 3 times as much as an SM57 and I still usually blend it with one.

For live use, I would generally stay away from any condenser mic. There's a reason you mostly only see dynamic mics used live (aside from drum overheads or acoustic gigs)... They have far better feedback rejection.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Spambot_2
UG's rum aficionado
1,824 IQ
The lexicon native reverb pack, I especially like the studio and room algorithms.
Oddly enough, their imitation of the M7 is heavenly, better than a lot of other settings
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
NellySlideGtr
10 IQ
Quote by MatrixClaw
FIRST!

Hey dude, the usual cause of valve amps going down is the valves.Once you have checked fuses, of course. I had same on my mates Boogie took 10 mins to fix,,if you have a spare valve to test/.try out in place
.It will be one of the small valves(The pre amp).unplugged from mains. remove valves one at a time, trying the new one in its place,power up,keeping well away from 450v inside.Lol
I done a video on this:https://youtu.be/WI4_C9T1vSw

It called 'fixing crackly pots on Amps' but also has bit on me fixing the valve too'
Hope your get your amp blazing again soon ....and save yourself a £100-£200 repair bill for £20 Valve...worth a shot.
MatrixClaw
UG God
10,723 IQ
Quote by NellySlideGtr
Hey dude, the usual cause of valve amps going down is the valves.Once you have checked fuses, of course. I had same on my mates Boogie took 10 mins to fix,,if you have a spare valve to test/.try out in place
.It will be one of the small valves(The pre amp).unplugged from mains. remove valves one at a time, trying the new one in its place,power up,keeping well away from 450v inside.Lol
I done a video on this:https://youtu.be/WI4_C9T1vSw

It called 'fixing crackly pots on Amps' but also has bit on me fixing the valve too'
Hope your get your amp blazing again soon ....and save yourself a £100-£200 repair bill for £20 Valve...worth a shot.

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Spambot_2
UG's rum aficionado
1,824 IQ
I'm guessing that was some attempt at getting people to watch the guy's youtube vid
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
mulefish
UG Addict
2,084 IQ
Quote by francesco18
Hey guys do you know what kind of plugin trickery is needed to get the effect at 2:55 (also at 1:50 but it's very brief there) in this track (the strange voice distortion thingy I mean): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbqBXkmukr4

Sounds like granular synthesis to me, or just some kind of stutter effect + some filtering [something like izotope stutter edit could probably do it]
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at May 27, 2016,
the chemist
Resident Session Player
125 IQ
Welcome then!
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
the chemist
Resident Session Player
125 IQ
Quote by mulefish
Sounds like granular synthesis to me, or just some kind of stutter effect + some filtering [something like izotope stutter edit could probably do it]

Ring Modulator
Quote by Watterboy
the chemist
Resident Session Player
125 IQ
So I have my eyes on an SSL Nucleus. Controller plus 2 SSL Preamps...
Quote by Watterboy
oneblackened
Better Than You At Mixing
3,304 IQ
Quote by the chemist
So I have my eyes on an SSL Nucleus. Controller plus 2 SSL Preamps...

Do tell me how that is. I've been looking into it for years.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (BKP C-Bomb/VHII)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
oneblackened
Better Than You At Mixing
3,304 IQ
Quote by MatrixClaw
If you don't already have one, get a Shure SM57. Most popular mic for micing guitar amps, among many other things. There are other popular choices out there, but aside from the Sennheiser e609 and Audix i5, expect to spend twice the price, or more, for a quality of sound that's definitely not twice as good. For instance: my favorite mic for electric guitar is the Beyerdynamic M201TG, but it costs 3 times as much as an SM57 and I still usually blend it with one.

For live use, I would generally stay away from any condenser mic. There's a reason you mostly only see dynamic mics used live (aside from drum overheads or acoustic gigs)... They have far better feedback rejection.

As of late one of my favorite guitar cab mics has been the C414.

But those are $1000. The M201 is nice though, especially on snare!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (BKP C-Bomb/VHII)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.