Page 31 of 31
https://soundcloud.com/mrlinssi/dehumanized

So I recently did some electronic music,which is kinda a surprise for me,since I don't listen to that kind of music very much,or at all even.

I used pads and synth from Albion One and Natural Forces,drums from Cubase and the vocals were done using Shevannai. Mix-wise I think that it came out sounding pretty nice,but what the hell do I know,give me your thoughts!
Guitar tracks are being recorded with a very old Sennheiser condenser mic it looks like a SennheiserMD441.

Using a direct box for power and a Headphone Head Tap for Level adjustment going into my PC.

Recording directly to Mixcraft 6.0 DAW.

Please share any suggestions for mixing or mic placement for this specific mic. I'm still struggling to find the best position for this mic.

Also any suggestions for video editing are welcome too. This is my first experience recording.

PS. I know it's not the best mic for this kind of project but it's all I have for now. Hoping to upgrade soon to something like the SM57.

Other videos on my channel show my home studio setup and another original composition.

Quote by allen15scroggins
Guitar tracks are being recorded with a very old Sennheiser condenser mic it looks like a SennheiserMD441.

Using a direct box for power and a Headphone Head Tap for Level adjustment going into my PC.

Recording directly to Mixcraft 6.0 DAW.

Please share any suggestions for mixing or mic placement for this specific mic. I'm still struggling to find the best position for this mic.

Also any suggestions for video editing are welcome too. This is my first experience recording.

PS. I know it's not the best mic for this kind of project but it's all I have for now. Hoping to upgrade soon to something like the SM57.

Other videos on my channel show my home studio setup and another original composition.

Can you show us how it's set up now, as well as your speaker type and desired sound?
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
the chemist
Quote by the chemist
Can you show us how it's set up now, as well as your speaker type and desired sound?

I actually created a video showing my setup, from the mic to the recording and exporting.

I don't show mixing or anything in this video, just the setup.

First, don't cover the amp like that. You're killing the mic's ability to react to the room. If you do that, you loose some dynamic response and get a slight fizz on the upper mids.

For the mic, I'd look at getting it up and level with the middle horizontal line of the cone. Keep the angle and placement, just bring it up a bit.

Other than that, it sounds pretty good TBF.
Quote by Watterboy
Quote by the chemist
First, don't cover the amp like that. You're killing the mic's ability to react to the room. If you do that, you loose some dynamic response and get a slight fizz on the upper mids.

For the mic, I'd look at getting it up and level with the middle horizontal line of the cone. Keep the angle and placement, just bring it up a bit.

the chemist
Dude thanks for the advice, I didn't realize covering the amp like that would have such an affect on the sounds quality being recorded. I did that initially for keeping the noise down in the house and to not bother the neighbors lol.

I'll give this a shot to see if I can get better recording quality.

I appreciate the response!
Quote by allen15scroggins
Are you recording directly into the PC, through something like a 1/8 input? I do recommend getting a proper Audio Interface (which will remove that direct box and headphone amp from your signal path as well), however your quality seems to be reasonable in comparison to some direct-in recordings I have heard.

As far as the composition goes, it sounds a bit busy. Not enough room for the solo guitar to fit. Maybe the delay/reverb on that track is covering it up, try a drier recording. Maybe cut back on some reverb of the other tracks and/or bring down the level of some of the tracks. Also some focused EQ on the solo track might help it poke through better.

And this is more of a personal thing, but try to clean up your cabling/wiring...

But as your first delve into recording, it is fairly solid!
Quote by the chemist

I definitely do not think there should be pillows right up on the grill cloth, but I do value faux mic isolation if you do not want the room sound in the recording track- especially if the room is untreated. Some proper acoustic proofing, placed far enough from the cab to give the speakers room to "breathe" would be smart, no?
Last edited by Will Lane at Oct 14, 2016,
Will Lane
Quote by Will Lane
Are you recording directly into the PC, through something like a 1/8 input? I do recommend getting a proper Audio Interface (which will remove that direct box and headphone amp from your signal path as well), however your quality seems to be reasonable in comparison to some direct-in recordings I have heard.

Yes, the path is as follows: Mic -> (XLR in) Direct Box (1/8 Aux out) -> (1/4 in) Headphone Tap (Passive) (1/4 out) -> (1/8 in) PC aux input

I agree there is alot going on in my signal path that will cause degradation, this is just what I had on hand without having to purchase anything.

Quote by Will Lane

As far as the composition goes, it sounds a bit busy. Not enough room for the solo guitar to fit. Maybe the delay/reverb on that track is covering it up, try a drier recording. Maybe cut back on some reverb of the other tracks and/or bring down the level of some of the tracks. Also some focused EQ on the solo track might help it poke through better.

Thanks for the suggestions and I completely agree!

Honestly I feel I had put to many effects on each individual track which also caused alot of "Business". I want a more organic sound in my recordings!

I also made the mistake of applying basically the same EQ and effects on each of the backing tracks as I did the lead guitar (smh..) lol I've realized how big of a mistake this was now.

After having watched a few more recording/mixing tutorials online I'm hoping I can get better at it in the future lol.

Quote by Will Lane

And this is more of a personal thing, but try to clean up your cabling/wiring...

This room is going to be my daughters room in about 2 months when she is born so I decided to wait till it's all relocated lol.. I agree though I generally can't stand cable madness!
New collaboration I began with singer Jenny Stokes from New Zealand. I'm interested in feedback (before we officially release) on the song, but also the mix.

http://www.evansandstokes.com

Thank you for listening!!!
Vocals: Boomy. Very boomy. I'd review your EQ and compression, they don't sit well in the track. I'd also look at not using such a short reverb on that style of vocal. Give it a longer pre-delay, or use a delay in general set it to a tempo-based delay pattern to add some depth and space to the lead vocal lines. The layered chorus is way overpowering, I'd look at automating the chorus vocals to get a parity in vocal presentation. If you have a chorus on the vocals, get rid of it. Chorus is bad on lead vocals. On gangs or backing, sure. Other than that it's a good performance on the vocals.

Acoustic guitar: How was that recorded? It's quite washy and out of phase... on purpose or just kinda happened.

The drum samples are decent enough (I think those are samples), but the programming is flat and the mix lacks punch. I'd look at adjusting your compression/dynamics of them, add some form of room sound there. Not reverb per se, but maybe bring the rooms (if available) up a bit and slam them hard with a limiter.

The snare is the big killer here. It's got a lot of bottom, but no punch. Decrease your compressor's attack a bit (a bit slower if you will) and increase the release (slower). Another step that may help is add a shelf on the top end (4-5kHz at +6) to the snare's EQ to add some snap to it. I'd also scoop a bit of the 300-400Hz range to clean up the mud in it. Not a fault of yours, I just find the snare a bit muddy for my tastes.

As well, I'd look at adjusting your program a bit in terms of played dynamics. Nothing adds a human character like ghost notes on snares and adjusting some of the hits in succession as a build up. Try looking at adding flams, drags, etc. into the drums to flesh them out.

I'm not really hearing or feeling the bass guitar. Is it compressed and crunched or purely clean?
Quote by Watterboy
Wow. THANK YOU chemist!! Very detailed critique. Exactly what I was looking for. I think I can do most of this.

Acoustic guitar recorded through a ZOOM A2 pedal, then some effect added after. Base guitar is clean, but levels could come up.
Last edited by JLE3 at Nov 21, 2016,
Quote by JLE3
Wow. THANK YOU chemist!! Very detailed critique. Exactly what I was looking for. I think I can do most of this.

Acoustic guitar recorded through a ZOOM A2 pedal, then some effect added after. Base guitar is clean, but levels could come up.

I'd recommend duplicating your bass guitar and adding some growl or overdrive to it. As well, be sure to brickwall limit it so it doesn't move. Once you compress the life out of it (figuratively), you can then adjust EQ to allow it to stay in the mix with all notes.
Quote by Watterboy