Page 31 of 31
https://soundcloud.com/mrlinssi/dehumanized

So I recently did some electronic music,which is kinda a surprise for me,since I don't listen to that kind of music very much,or at all even.

I used pads and synth from Albion One and Natural Forces,drums from Cubase and the vocals were done using Shevannai. Mix-wise I think that it came out sounding pretty nice,but what the hell do I know,give me your thoughts!
Guitar tracks are being recorded with a very old Sennheiser condenser mic it looks like a SennheiserMD441.

Using a direct box for power and a Headphone Head Tap for Level adjustment going into my PC.

Recording directly to Mixcraft 6.0 DAW.

Please share any suggestions for mixing or mic placement for this specific mic. I'm still struggling to find the best position for this mic.

Also any suggestions for video editing are welcome too. This is my first experience recording.

PS. I know it's not the best mic for this kind of project but it's all I have for now. Hoping to upgrade soon to something like the SM57.

Other videos on my channel show my home studio setup and another original composition.

Quote by allen15scroggins
Guitar tracks are being recorded with a very old Sennheiser condenser mic it looks like a SennheiserMD441.

Using a direct box for power and a Headphone Head Tap for Level adjustment going into my PC.

Recording directly to Mixcraft 6.0 DAW.

Please share any suggestions for mixing or mic placement for this specific mic. I'm still struggling to find the best position for this mic.

Also any suggestions for video editing are welcome too. This is my first experience recording.

PS. I know it's not the best mic for this kind of project but it's all I have for now. Hoping to upgrade soon to something like the SM57.

Other videos on my channel show my home studio setup and another original composition.

Can you show us how it's set up now, as well as your speaker type and desired sound?
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
the chemist
Quote by the chemist
Can you show us how it's set up now, as well as your speaker type and desired sound?

I actually created a video showing my setup, from the mic to the recording and exporting.

I don't show mixing or anything in this video, just the setup.

First, don't cover the amp like that. You're killing the mic's ability to react to the room. If you do that, you loose some dynamic response and get a slight fizz on the upper mids.

For the mic, I'd look at getting it up and level with the middle horizontal line of the cone. Keep the angle and placement, just bring it up a bit.

Other than that, it sounds pretty good TBF.
Quote by Watterboy
Quote by the chemist
First, don't cover the amp like that. You're killing the mic's ability to react to the room. If you do that, you loose some dynamic response and get a slight fizz on the upper mids.

For the mic, I'd look at getting it up and level with the middle horizontal line of the cone. Keep the angle and placement, just bring it up a bit.

the chemist
Dude thanks for the advice, I didn't realize covering the amp like that would have such an affect on the sounds quality being recorded. I did that initially for keeping the noise down in the house and to not bother the neighbors lol.

I'll give this a shot to see if I can get better recording quality.

I appreciate the response!
Quote by allen15scroggins
Are you recording directly into the PC, through something like a 1/8 input? I do recommend getting a proper Audio Interface (which will remove that direct box and headphone amp from your signal path as well), however your quality seems to be reasonable in comparison to some direct-in recordings I have heard.

As far as the composition goes, it sounds a bit busy. Not enough room for the solo guitar to fit. Maybe the delay/reverb on that track is covering it up, try a drier recording. Maybe cut back on some reverb of the other tracks and/or bring down the level of some of the tracks. Also some focused EQ on the solo track might help it poke through better.

And this is more of a personal thing, but try to clean up your cabling/wiring...

But as your first delve into recording, it is fairly solid!
Quote by the chemist

I definitely do not think there should be pillows right up on the grill cloth, but I do value faux mic isolation if you do not want the room sound in the recording track- especially if the room is untreated. Some proper acoustic proofing, placed far enough from the cab to give the speakers room to "breathe" would be smart, no?
Last edited by Will Lane at Oct 14, 2016,
Will Lane
Quote by Will Lane
Are you recording directly into the PC, through something like a 1/8 input? I do recommend getting a proper Audio Interface (which will remove that direct box and headphone amp from your signal path as well), however your quality seems to be reasonable in comparison to some direct-in recordings I have heard.

Yes, the path is as follows: Mic -> (XLR in) Direct Box (1/8 Aux out) -> (1/4 in) Headphone Tap (Passive) (1/4 out) -> (1/8 in) PC aux input

I agree there is alot going on in my signal path that will cause degradation, this is just what I had on hand without having to purchase anything.

Quote by Will Lane

As far as the composition goes, it sounds a bit busy. Not enough room for the solo guitar to fit. Maybe the delay/reverb on that track is covering it up, try a drier recording. Maybe cut back on some reverb of the other tracks and/or bring down the level of some of the tracks. Also some focused EQ on the solo track might help it poke through better.

Thanks for the suggestions and I completely agree!

Honestly I feel I had put to many effects on each individual track which also caused alot of "Business". I want a more organic sound in my recordings!

I also made the mistake of applying basically the same EQ and effects on each of the backing tracks as I did the lead guitar (smh..) lol I've realized how big of a mistake this was now.

After having watched a few more recording/mixing tutorials online I'm hoping I can get better at it in the future lol.

Quote by Will Lane

And this is more of a personal thing, but try to clean up your cabling/wiring...

This room is going to be my daughters room in about 2 months when she is born so I decided to wait till it's all relocated lol.. I agree though I generally can't stand cable madness!
New collaboration I began with singer Jenny Stokes from New Zealand. I'm interested in feedback (before we officially release) on the song, but also the mix.

http://www.evansandstokes.com

Thank you for listening!!!
Vocals: Boomy. Very boomy. I'd review your EQ and compression, they don't sit well in the track. I'd also look at not using such a short reverb on that style of vocal. Give it a longer pre-delay, or use a delay in general set it to a tempo-based delay pattern to add some depth and space to the lead vocal lines. The layered chorus is way overpowering, I'd look at automating the chorus vocals to get a parity in vocal presentation. If you have a chorus on the vocals, get rid of it. Chorus is bad on lead vocals. On gangs or backing, sure. Other than that it's a good performance on the vocals.

Acoustic guitar: How was that recorded? It's quite washy and out of phase... on purpose or just kinda happened.

The drum samples are decent enough (I think those are samples), but the programming is flat and the mix lacks punch. I'd look at adjusting your compression/dynamics of them, add some form of room sound there. Not reverb per se, but maybe bring the rooms (if available) up a bit and slam them hard with a limiter.

The snare is the big killer here. It's got a lot of bottom, but no punch. Decrease your compressor's attack a bit (a bit slower if you will) and increase the release (slower). Another step that may help is add a shelf on the top end (4-5kHz at +6) to the snare's EQ to add some snap to it. I'd also scoop a bit of the 300-400Hz range to clean up the mud in it. Not a fault of yours, I just find the snare a bit muddy for my tastes.

As well, I'd look at adjusting your program a bit in terms of played dynamics. Nothing adds a human character like ghost notes on snares and adjusting some of the hits in succession as a build up. Try looking at adding flams, drags, etc. into the drums to flesh them out.

I'm not really hearing or feeling the bass guitar. Is it compressed and crunched or purely clean?
Quote by Watterboy
Wow. THANK YOU chemist!! Very detailed critique. Exactly what I was looking for. I think I can do most of this.

Acoustic guitar recorded through a ZOOM A2 pedal, then some effect added after. Base guitar is clean, but levels could come up.
Last edited by JLE3 at Nov 21, 2016,
Quote by JLE3
Wow. THANK YOU chemist!! Very detailed critique. Exactly what I was looking for. I think I can do most of this.

Acoustic guitar recorded through a ZOOM A2 pedal, then some effect added after. Base guitar is clean, but levels could come up.

I'd recommend duplicating your bass guitar and adding some growl or overdrive to it. As well, be sure to brickwall limit it so it doesn't move. Once you compress the life out of it (figuratively), you can then adjust EQ to allow it to stay in the mix with all notes.
Quote by Watterboy
I'm going to get absolutely murdered here, but no better way to learn what you're doing wrong that to hear it from people that know, right?

I'm the singer/songwriter for my band and record everything solo. New to mixing, in other words I don't know a thing about EQing I try really hard to get it to sound good when I capture it at the source instead of changing it later. I suppose you could say I mix on the spot while I create the song?

Hmm. Equipment I'm using: Drum machine for drums, Rode NT1-A Condensor Mic, Amplitude 4 for everything guitar/bass related, and one pedal for reverb (The Descent, it's lovely) I do all the recording and "mixing" using ATH-M50x studio headphones, so it probably sounds better on headphones than studio monitors or anything else for that matter. :/

So essentially I just mess with it until it sounds about as best as I can get it with what I know how to do which isn't much. I try to keep it as simple as possible. This song in particular gave me a lot of trouble with peaking, so I had to randomly lower tracks, and randomly EQued things not really knowing what it did per se, just cut off some low end is all from things until it wasn't peaking on my end and the vocals were audible.

Genre I guess is important when considering mixing, so I consider myself an inbetween from shoegaze (lots of reverb) and alt rock/indie rock (more radio friendly stuff).

Any tips, or anything? What do you audio geniuses hear? :> thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/modern-figure/ocean-vocal-take-3 
Last edited by ShoeGazeBand at Mar 11, 2017,
Quote by ShoeGazeBand
I'm going to get absolutely murdered here, but no better way to learn what you're doing wrong that to hear it from people that know, right?

I'm the singer/songwriter for my band and record everything solo. New to mixing, in other words I don't know a thing about EQing I try really hard to get it to sound good when I capture it at the source instead of changing it later. I suppose you could say I mix on the spot while I create the song?

Hmm. Equipment I'm using: Drum machine for drums, Rode NT1-A Condensor Mic, Amplitude 4 for everything guitar/bass related, and one pedal for reverb (The Descent, it's lovely) I do all the recording and "mixing" using ATH-M50x studio headphones, so it probably sounds better on headphones than studio monitors or anything else for that matter. :/

So essentially I just mess with it until it sounds about as best as I can get it with what I know how to do which isn't much. I try to keep it as simple as possible. This song in particular gave me a lot of trouble with peaking, so I had to randomly lower tracks, and randomly EQued things not really knowing what it did per se, just cut off some low end is all from things until it wasn't peaking on my end and the vocals were audible.

Genre I guess is important when considering mixing, so I consider myself an inbetween from shoegaze (lots of reverb) and alt rock/indie rock (more radio friendly stuff).

Any tips, or anything? What do you audio geniuses hear? :> thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/modern-figure/ocean-vocal-take-3 

The first thing sticking out to me is the drums. Kick is very clicky and snare is tubby. Otherwise I don't hate it. 

I suggest you learn how to use a compressor and an EQ. 
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Shot in the dark, here's a mix that I'd love for you to critique: https://www.mediafire.com/?15yxeign680850g

It is from a Church service. We have volunteer musicians and singers, so you may be able to tell. I would be a bit more generous with my reductions but I made it specifically for those volunteers, so that they could hear themselves and review their performance and role in the mix. Similarly, I did not want to fix some problems like the snare dropping out the 2nd chorus (I think). The drummer actually lost a stick at that point during the service. I would clone the snare pattern typically, though.
Quote by Will Lane
Shot in the dark, here's a mix that I'd love for you to critique: https://www.mediafire.com/?15yxeign680850g

It is from a Church service. We have volunteer musicians and singers, so you may be able to tell. I would be a bit more generous with my reductions but I made it specifically for those volunteers, so that they could hear themselves and review their performance and role in the mix. Similarly, I did not want to fix some problems like the snare dropping out the 2nd chorus (I think). The drummer actually lost a stick at that point during the service. I would clone the snare pattern typically, though.

sounds very uncommitted in the beginning.  The lead guitar licks are too quite. The drums need punch. Are they overcompressed?
Last edited by Pizzafan at Apr 10, 2017,
Quote by Pizzafan
sounds very uncommitted in the beginning.  The lead guitar licks are too quite. The drums need punch. Are they overcompressed?
Committed: You mean the lack of "umph" with the band after the first progression? That was the volunteer aspect, sorry. I cannot really do much about that. I'll listen to the guitar again, thanks. The drums have little compression, I was fighting a snare and kick that maybe are tuned a bit too high.
Hey, I like listening to real musicians/indie music.

Does anyone know of any good indie music zines, scenes or such to listen to? I rarely hear many indie bands that are good to be honest but I like some of the music i hear here/
Then again, here's a track I could use some feedback on. It's just raw everything, nothing but compression on the bass to tame some of the resonances.

It's a cover of Bohemian Rhapsody, still some fine-tuning to do, but I just wanted to know whether the guitars are sounding alright since I am micing up a cab rather than using a processor and I have very little experience with it. Does it sound really boxy? I don't have a DI pedal for my bass after selling my B7K, this was into the high Z input of my interface, plus a send to the bass VST in Cubase. Drums are Superior Drummer 2. Amp used was a Mesa Boogie MKV.

https://soundcloud.com/jimmy-rage/bohemian-rhapsody-cover-mechanevil-rivera-tone-test
Strandberg Boden 8-String Ibanez RG2228
Fender HM Strat ESP Horizon-II Five-String Bass
Roland TD-30K Mesa Boogie Mark V:25
EVH5150III 50-Watt Yamaha Motif Rack XS
Access Virus TI Snow Polyend Perc Pro
Last edited by mechanevil at Jul 26, 2017,
Quote by mechanevil
Then again, here's a track I could use some feedback on. It's just raw everything, nothing but compression on the bass to tame some of the resonances.

It's a cover of Bohemian Rhapsody, still some fine-tuning to do, but I just wanted to know whether the guitars are sounding alright since I am micing up a cab rather than using a processor and I have very little experience with it. Does it sound really boxy? I don't have a DI pedal for my bass after selling my B7K, this was into the high Z input of my interface, plus a send to the bass VST in Cubase. Drums are Superior Drummer 2. Amp used was a Mesa Boogie MKV.

https://soundcloud.com/jimmy-rage/bohemian-rhapsody-cover-mechanevil-rivera-tone-test

Yeah they sound quite boxy, the kicks sound pretty weird too. What mic did you use? Experiment a bit with mic placement, just put headphones on, let someone strike the strings and move the mic around. 
Diezel VH4 Left (Billy Corgan's old one)
Hughes & Kettner Trilogy Right
All music recorded live in my living room. Single take no overdubs. Vocals recorded separately.
Could use some critiques on my live mixing. Overheads running into my Apollo Twin USB and everything else into my Audient ASP800.

Drums are really boomy, need to be sculpted to fit into the mix better, especially the bass and snare. The overheads are a little fizzy. 

Guitar wise, I think much the drums you need a bit of EQ and compression to tighten them up.

With those, and the fact that you live tracked it, it's actually not bad.

Vocals need work. They're a bit to sibilant and need compression. They're mostly good, but some parts are overpowering. 

Do you have the files for these? I'm always interested in plugging these through my usual chains to see what I can do.

+++++++++++++++

So that I'm not the guy sitting in here old-man yelling, I've been experimenting with a new drum processing chain to give snares and bass drums more life, as evidenced here:

https://soundcloud.com/blockroom-recordings/test-for-mixdown

This is a work in progress, and the rhythm guitars need to be retracked, as they're relatively sloppy in parts. Bass, I think, is settled into the mix rather well, as are the fill and lead guitars (not solos, leads). Drums still need work. The snare has a tonne of snap, but the low end seems to have disappeared in the process. Maybe I need to look at the compression I'm using (cascading parallel) to sort that out. Bass drum has the right idea for sound, but dialing it with the snare has been somewhat of a process. I like the sound, just needs some tweaking. That china is pissing me off (so high compared to the rest of the cymbals, may need to re-record the drums). I think the guitars are also a bit hollow... need to look at the compression there as that hollowness is usually a compression issue.

Bass Drum - First real experiment with an AE2500 (combo dynamic and condenser in 1 chassis), takes a lot of getting used to for someone who always relied on a D112.

Snare - Disgusting is how I looked at this - HE30 and SM57 on batter , and Oktava 012 on bottom. HE30 is the snap, SM57 is the punch. Pipped these through some Golden Age 1073s and then slapped this onto them in the VMR: Transformer Comp - Neve EQ - Transformer Comp - Harmonic Exciter - 1176 (57)/Little Monster (HE30). Bottom snare is slapped through the Focusrite Red EQ and Comp, then into an 1176 plugin to flatten it.

Toms - Basically just EQ to not be rumbly, carve a bit of mid out of them to give them bass and snap, and compressed, nothing fancy.

Overheads - I actually did something stupid here and used a pair of NT55s in ORTF. Cut some low end, put them through a tape saturation.

Room mics - 2 460s. EQd them pretty harshly, then bounced to mono. From there, I cascaded this through 3 1176 plugs to mangle it. It's there, if you listen hard enough.

Guitars - Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 20 Deluxe through a Mesa oversized Recto 2x12. Used  a Sontronics SCT-2 and a Blue Ball. The STC-2 got dropped in the end on rhythm guitars, but kept it on the fill guitars, which you'll notice at the 1:30 mark or so; the guitars have more upper mid wash and little low end. Nice effect for fill guitars and the such. Fairly untouched for EQ, compressed quite a bit though. I used a Focusrite Red EQ and the default ReaEQ in Reaper (I've made the switch to Reaper BTW, 60 bucks and it works really nice)

Bass - Golden Age projects 1073 (Full input gain, midway output to add a lot of growl and bite) in a VMR (Transformer Comp - Neve EQ with drive - 1176) then into the Reaper saturation plugin (JS series of plugins) then added a Red Comp on top of it to squash it. 

That gross bridge guitar - The same amp, using the RedBox AE, into Bias (amping an amped signal) with no cab simulation. The amp was the Orange sim. AU7 tubes, British transformers, Solid State rectification. 
Quote by Watterboy
Last edited by the chemist at Oct 11, 2017,
Whatsup guys? I'm an amateur recording engineer at the very best, I usually like to record just to get song ideas down and improve my skill. With that said, I have a track I'd like to have critiqued just to understand how I can improve my ability. 

https://soundcloud.com/twin-wolves-542331907/unapologetic-demo

I have so much stuff going on, all I can really say is the obvious:

- I use FL Studio
- The drums are programmed SD 2.0 w/ parallel compression
- Guitars are panned hard left/right with EQ and reverb
- Bass is DI with VST amp plugin
- Mastering is pretty compressed with tube saturation.

I would just like to know if anything stands out and what could be improved. I'm sure the drums are a weakness, I do my best lol. Thanks for any input you can give guys, have a good one!
glennmitchell907 Thank you for the feedback glennmitchell907, I appreciate the ear. I recorded guitars simply with a Fender 5150 and an SM-57. I'll be sure to take a lot of the reverb off the drums. Cheers!
You might try mixing in another mic position when tracking guitars? Reamp them? They're very immediate, that's why the drum reverb stands out.
glennmitchell907 Ok, I understand completely. I'm starting to see how layering and putting more time into recording tracks is vital to good songs. There definitely is an art component to it instead of just recording a good sound or tone. Thanks again glennmitchell907 for you advice, I'll try moving the mic back from the cabinet and recording more of a room sound. I had the SM-57 pressed right up on the grill cloth, and I can see what you mean about the sound being to prominent. Do you think reducing the presence on the amplifier would help with this as well?
Maybe. I'm not experienced but this is what I'd try.

Move the mic around while playing with the drums. When I said move it back, I meant maybe a finger-width or two. Someting to fill out the sound a bit--to soften the highs and open up the bass. Set the amp EQ to compliment them, too.

Post-EQ the guitars while listening to the full mix.

Drop the master so you can't hear it and bring it up slowly to better understand the loudest peaks, like the kick, snare, cymbals, and whichever frequencies you want the guitar to carry predominantly. The ear is typically very sensitive and easily overwhelmed by fine dynamics at normal listening volumes.
Last edited by glennmitchell907 at Nov 13, 2017,