Page 3 of 3
Foxfan0318
65 IQ
Joe Walsh. It bothers me that people always need to back his name up with "from the Eagles". His work with the James Gang and Solo are increible, and always overlooked. He has an incredible and distinct playing style and he's also a great songwriter and lyricist. Listen to his Barnstorm album and you'll understand just how fantastic he really is. He's been such a key part of rock music in general since the 60's and it seems like he always gets left in the shadow of someone else.
Peaceful Rocker
Banned
1,518 IQ
Quote by Foxfan0318
Joe Walsh. It bothers me that people always need to back his name up with "from the Eagles". His work with the James Gang and Solo are increible, and always overlooked. He has an incredible and distinct playing style and he's also a great songwriter and lyricist. Listen to his Barnstorm album and you'll understand just how fantastic he really is. He's been such a key part of rock music in general since the 60's and it seems like he always gets left in the shadow of someone else.

I hear more Joe Walsh songs on the local classic rock station than Eagles.. I think he's pretty famous dude
Firehawk2410
508 IQ
Ace Frehley. No one really mentions him because his recordings with KISS aren't particularly extreme or revolutionary, but the guy can shred like no one else when he's on stage. At least he used to, but I've heard he's not as great as he used to be.
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan
510 IQ
Quote by Firehawk2410
Ace Frehley. No one really mentions him because his recordings with KISS aren't particularly extreme or revolutionary, but the guy can shred like no one else when he's on stage. At least he used to, but I've heard he's not as great as he used to be.

I would disagree solely on the basis of how big of a success the original KISS line-up was.
Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Firehawk2410
508 IQ
Quote by TheUltimateSin
I would disagree solely on the basis of how big of a success the original KISS line-up was.

Key word there is "was." KISS were hugely successful in the 70's. Today, people may know of KISS, but Ace Frehley's name doesn't get a whole lot of mention aside from that. Because he left KISS in '82 the band and Ace kind of lost their luster. He didn't make the stupid Rolling Stone "100 Greatest Guitarists" list, and Guitar World didn't include him on their list either. None of my "guitar-loving" friends have ever heard of him or any of KISS's music, nor does my local classic rock radio station ever play a classic KISS song. Even recently on here arguments broke on some article about KISS, where someone said he had no influence on any other significant artists after him, and the guy got really offended and in denial when someone told him that Dimebag Darrell loved Ace Frehley.
Maybe it's just my personal experiences, I don't know. In my world he just kind of seems forgotten.
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan
510 IQ
But that's just it. KISS was in it's prime in the 70's/early 80's when he was with the band. Nearly all of their good material(imo) came from that era, and that's what they mostly play on their shows because that's where the hits came from.

Only a fool would trust a "greatest -insert anything here-" magazine list though, since there is no such thing because there are far too many criterion and too many vastly different styles of playing to single it down. And as far as not playing on your local radio stations, that could largely be due to the music popularity in your area, because I hear KISS songs all the time on the various rock stations around my area.

And as far as people you know not hearing of him; trust me, it's not just Ace that gets that. I too have many same-taste-in-music-as-me friends who couldn't name 3/4's of the members in the bands they listen too(even I am guilty of not being able to recall the names myself, and feel really sheepish about it but at least I can admit to it once in a while). Some people forget, others just don't bother enough to look in to it. Their loss, as far as I'm concerned. Knowledge is a nice advantage no matter what the situation.

I agree that he is a great player, and obviously contributed a lot to their success with his playing. But since the majority of fans are fans because of the era he was with them, I just can't see justifying him as being underrated. Maybe it seems that way because Gene pretty much overshadows everyone in the band with his bottomless ego? I don't know...

Hell of a player.
Quote by Resiliance

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Last edited by TheUltimateSin at Oct 27, 2012,
Firehawk2410
508 IQ
Quote by TheUltimateSin

I agree that he is a great player, and obviously contributed a lot to their success with his playing. But since the majority of fans are fans because of the era he was with them, I just can't see justifying him as being underrated. Maybe it seems that way because Gene pretty much overshadows everyone in the band with his bottomless ego? I don't know...

Hell of a player.

Well you see, I'm assuming you're a lot older than I am so you might have lived through more of KISS's career than I have. I grew up during the beginning and demise of the reunion and Gene Simmons' Family Jewels, so KISS is a dead, cheesy, outdated, over-commercialized band to most of my peers. Everything I know about them in their prime is from quotes of the band members, video footage, and biographies. It's different now and I never got to experience them in their prime so the way people perceive them in my environment is different I suppose. And yeah, I think especially because of reality TV Gene overshadows the rest of the band a lot, so the other members have disappeared in the Gene Simmons fog in this day and age.
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan
510 IQ
Born in '87, which is long after their prime, and I didn't start listening to them really until mid-late 90's. But I think location has a lot to do with it because classic rock/metal are pretty big in my area. I did get to see KISS about a month and a half ago, sadly without Ace. I would have loved to see him live with them because the videos of him playing their shows tells me he had a lot of fun doing it. Who they have now do a decent job though.
Quote by Resiliance

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Firehawk2410
508 IQ
Quote by TheUltimateSin
Born in '87, which is long after their prime, and I didn't start listening to them really until mid-late 90's. But I think location has a lot to do with it because classic rock/metal are pretty big in my area. I did get to see KISS about a month and a half ago, sadly without Ace. I would have loved to see him live with them because the videos of him playing their shows tells me he had a lot of fun doing it. Who they have now do a decent job though.

You're right about that, because I notice this station tends to play Pink Floyd more than any other artist, and they have an overwhelming majority on the station's website's "Greatest Artist Ever" poll, so I suppose for some reason people in my city tend to be Pink Floyd fans, but overall rap/hip hop and electronic music seem to be really big, which annoys the hell out of me.
I'm glad you got to see KISS. I was going to and opted out of it just because of Motley Crue, but I went back and watched amateur videos of it and I'm so mad I didn't go. I'm disappointed that Ace isn't with them for the same reasons you stated, but I like Tommy Thayer (the new guy) a lot. I'd say he's underrated, because a lot of "old timers" hate him simply because he's not Ace, and they say he's a terrible player even though they've never heard him play. A lot of them don't know that Tommy actually re-taught Ace all of his guitar parts for the '96 reunion. I'd say if he can do that he's pretty good.
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan
510 IQ
I greatly dislike when people hate on a band because they had to replace a member or two. When it comes down to it, if the person/s can play that's all that matters. Sometimes shit happens beyond your control and you have to make due. Sometimes you get lucky and the replacement person/people turn out to be phenomenal players on their own accord. Like Ac/Dc, you know? Something happened, they had to get a new front-man, and continued to build fame because it turned out Brian had some pipes of his own and the band could still carry on. Granted their situation is hardly the same as KISS's, since replacing a guitarist is far easier than replacing the voice of your whole band, but the idea behind it stands because Tommy fills Ace's shoes pretty decently I'd say.
Quote by Resiliance

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Firehawk2410
508 IQ
Quote by TheUltimateSin
I greatly dislike when people hate on a band because they had to replace a member or two. When it comes down to it, if the person/s can play that's all that matters. Sometimes shit happens beyond your control and you have to make due. Sometimes you get lucky and the replacement person/people turn out to be phenomenal players on their own accord. Like Ac/Dc, you know? Something happened, they had to get a new front-man, and continued to build fame because it turned out Brian had some pipes of his own and the band could still carry on. Granted their situation is hardly the same as KISS's, since replacing a guitarist is far easier than replacing the voice of your whole band, but the idea behind it stands because Tommy fills Ace's shoes pretty decently I'd say.

Well, some people just don't like changes, but the others are actually more upset that Tommy and Eric Singer wear Ace and Peter's makeup instead of using new characters like Eric Carr and Vinnie Vincent did. However, Peter and Ace each left the band with concert obligations to still standing, and KISS doesn't "kancel" on the KISS Army, so they just hired the very best guys they knew and kept the makeup since it was kind of last minute, and so they continued with the same characters to avoid more confusion. And after ten years people still cry bloody hell over it. It really is stupid and sad.
MEGADETHGOD
66 IQ
I would say Neal Schon from Journey and Rik Emmit from Triumph. Rik especially. He was an amazing song writer and could write the some of the best melodies to come out of the eighties. He never gets any credit.
elisaevedent
Banned
10 IQ
I need to get together with any guitarists in new delhi to jam classic rock, im fair on synths and axes?
Illuin
10 IQ
Whoever mentioned Peter Frampton as THE most underrated guitarist of all time is right. I've been a serious Jazz and Classical musician for the last 20 years. Before that I was a serious blues/rock player for 10 years. And before that I used to play Eddie, Randy, Lynch, Yngwie, etc. note for note. That being said, I'm still amazed at the complex, melodic lines and phrases Frampton did flawlessly and, off the cuff. Some of those melodic runs in "Do You Feel Like We Do" are so familiar and ingrained in our heads that we forget how proficient a guitarist has to be to pull those off, especially since those runs are all improvisational. Frampton gets my vote easily for most underrated. Jerry Garcia comes to mind as well, especially his jazzy playing in pieces like "Eyes Of The World.". Unfortunately, the number of overrated guitarists are growing by the day in these present "Dark Ages" of music. "Prince?" Are you kidding me? Now that's pathetic. Is he talented? Of course. But as a guitarist? Please! He's a "Jack Of All Trades" but he excels at none, aside from dancing and choreography. Let's be real here.
Firehawk2410
508 IQ
Quote by Illuin
Whoever mentioned Peter Frampton as THE most underrated guitarist of all time is right. I've been a serious Jazz and Classical musician for the last 20 years. Before that I was a serious blues/rock player for 10 years. And before that I used to play Eddie, Randy, Lynch, Yngwie, etc. note for note. That being said, I'm still amazed at the complex, melodic lines and phrases Frampton did flawlessly and, off the cuff. Some of those melodic runs in "Do You Feel Like We Do" are so familiar and ingrained in our heads that we forget how proficient a guitarist has to be to pull those off, especially since those runs are all improvisational. Frampton gets my vote easily for most underrated. Jerry Garcia comes to mind as well, especially his jazzy playing in pieces like "Eyes Of The World.".

That was me! I'm glad I got someone to back me up. Most people disown him for his sort of teen female-targeted love songs and ballads that get the most playing time. I didn't know much about him until my mom got the whole family tickets to see him. We ended up getting asked by the road manager to sit in the front row for free. It was absolutely amazing, first off, but his skill level was beyond my expectations. He covered lot of genres in just one concert. I'm mostly a fan of 70's and 80's hard rock and blues rock, but when you see someone that good play so many different things you start to appreciate those other genres. He's got a band of really talented guys touring with him too. I would highly recommend you see him live if you haven't already.
afatguitarist
185 IQ
Peter Green: he founded Fleetwood Mac, replaced Eric Clapton in John Mayal,and The Bluesbreakers, he wrote Black Magic Woman, which made Santana famous, but yet nobody talks about him. B.B. King said that his playing was the only one that gave him cold sweats. Had he not gone crazy in the early 70's we would never have heard of Stevie Nicks and never had to have been tortured by 70's Fleetwod Mac
I'M FAT!!!!
Encore_God
UG Legend
849 IQ
In addition to Peter Green, fellow Mac axemen Danny Kirwan and Jeremy Spencer are almost unheard of, and yet their individual prowess (as well as combined skill) was phenomenal. Three guitars in 1969 was something to behold, especially from those guys.

Also; Hank Marvin. The original! Amazing tone, feel and a sublime, lyrical playing style. Totally unique guitarist. Without Hank, no Hendrix.
Encore God & Asomodai- UG JHS Brotherhood

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.
njm0830
356 IQ
Gonna say that Steve Hackett never gets talked about but his work in Genesis in the 70's was pretty awesome. Hugely influential on a lot of guys, EVH especially. He always gets overshadowed by Peter Gabriel in the classic lineup but I think he was a huge part of that sound. You definitely saw the big shift towards pop music after he left.

I feel like Mark Knopfler doesn't get widely recognized by the mainstream as an amazing guitar player. Within guitar circles he's a god but most normal people just think he's the "Money for Nothing" guy. All of his work is amazing.

Tommy Shaw doesn't get enough love either.
RobGLA
87 IQ
Guess it depends what you mean by underrated. Odd seeing household names like Slash and Eric Clapton in this thread??

Michael Landau is now getting some recognition, but didn't back in the day with his classic rock/blues band 'Burning Water' which had some of the best strat tones ever recorded!

Steve Lukather is pretty well known for being the guitarist in Toto but his solo records and varied session career has some of the most outstanding jazz/rock/blues stylings.

Jimmy Herring is starting to get some recognition thesedays, but for the past 20 years he has been tearing it up with bands like The Dead, Widespread Panic and The Allman Bros.

And also Buzz Feiten, known mostly for the tuning system he invented but a smokin' player in his own right either with other artists (like Dave Weckl) or his own bands.
Guitar Instructor For TrueFire - Classroom 'Guitar Babylon'
Author of 'Jazz For The Blues Guitarist'
website
Last edited by RobGLA at Nov 10, 2012,
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan
510 IQ
Quote by RobGLA
Guess it depends what you mean by underrated. Odd seeing household names like Slash and Eric Clapton in this thread??

That's because I'd say conservatively, probably 90% of people who posted don't actually understand what the term 'underrated' means, and just posted guitarists that they like that not everyone else chooses drool over.
Quote by Resiliance

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Firehawk2410
508 IQ
Quote by RobGLA

It depends on your environment. You're peers and your age and such. For example, I'm 18 and a good portion of my peers believe that only modern hardcore metal guitarists are talented, and the rest are mediocre or "bad." They usually also think that any band formed about 30 or more years ago is a dead, irrelevant joke to music. Also, if I try to introduce them to a classic artist they have never heard of, they have nothing to do with it, or they just say "meh...it's okay I guess, but it's not metal." So in my world, Ace Frehley is underrated based on the fact that most of the people I know hate KISS without knowing any of their music, or they're too afraid to give it a try because it's classic rock music.
RobGLA
87 IQ
Quote by Firehawk2410
It depends on your environment. You're peers and your age and such. For example, I'm 18 and a good portion of my peers believe that only modern hardcore metal guitarists are talented, and the rest are mediocre or "bad." They usually also think that any band formed about 30 or more years ago is a dead, irrelevant joke to music. Also, if I try to introduce them to a classic artist they have never heard of, they have nothing to do with it, or they just say "meh...it's okay I guess, but it's not metal." So in my world, Ace Frehley is underrated based on the fact that most of the people I know hate KISS without knowing any of their music, or they're too afraid to give it a try because it's classic rock music.

Good point and good for you for defending different genres of music to your peers. Someone once said there are are really only two types of music, good and bad, which is really all you need to know.
website
Last edited by RobGLA at Nov 10, 2012,
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture
4,266 IQ
Quote by RobGLA
Someone once said there are are really only two types of music, good and bad, which is really all you need to know.
This is probably not who you are referring to, but one of my favorite Frank Zappa quotes is "If it sounds GOOD to YOU it's bitchin', and if it sounds BAD to YOU it's shitty."
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
RobGLA
87 IQ
Quote by BrainDamage
This is probably not who you are referring to, but one of my favorite Frank Zappa quotes is "If it sounds GOOD to YOU it's bitchin', and if it sounds BAD to YOU it's shitty."

Anything Frank said is fine with me
website
NickBech
38 IQ
Quote by marystolz
Eric Clapton

I think he's overrated. Come at me brahs.
"We are a metal band. Metal is brutal, metal vocals are brutal. I want some coffee."
swave75
Maggot Vest God
1,921 IQ
Quote by GaryBillington
Billy Duffy.

It is not possible to rate him high enough.

/Thread.

Very very underrated.
gabipe15
171 IQ
Definitely Robbie Krieger of the doors, and SRV, there's still people around that doesn't even know who he is, can't believe it
kangaroojew9
383 IQ
I wouldn't say he's underrated but just not a big name...Jason Becker is a fantastic guitarist. Check out his album perpetual burn
dkunick
Waco
138 IQ
Paul Kossoff, Frank Marino.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
ClassicFloyder
28 IQ
IMO, David Gilmour is the Best SOLOIST, Better then Slash and Claptan, Great with Acoustic and Lap Guitars as well have many memorable solos from Time and Money to Coming Back to life and High Hopes.. His Apprergios are one of a Kind, Hey you, Echoes, Shine on and Many others But still he never Gets Rated even in top 10...
Last edited by ClassicFloyder at Jan 3, 2013,
CodeMonk
UG's Old Fart
1,584 IQ
No mention of Steve Morse?
I saw Steve Morse and The Dixie Dregs open for Rush back in the 80s (Moving Pictures or New World Man tour?), and I was blown away.
The guy can play any style and do it with class.

And I'll toss in Alex Lifeson as well.