Arby911
Finding the Pattern
830 IQ
Ever been done?

I'm considering it, since bamboo is relatively inexpensive and harder than Finnegan's dick...

I thought I might try using 3/4x5 boards joined with dovetails and laminated.

Thoughts?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Feb 22, 2012,
Heilz
Fable in the Cold Bed
912 IQ
I've never heard of something so outrageously nice

How about you try it and we see the end of it hoping to have some nice guit. being made out of bamboo now that you spiked the interest of it.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
stonyman65
Unregistered User
809 IQ
Bamboo is heavy isn't it?

Anyways, thats pretty cool. I don't know how it would sound, but it pretty interesting.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
830 IQ
Quote by stonyman65
Bamboo is heavy isn't it?

Anyways, thats pretty cool. I don't know how it would sound, but it pretty interesting.

No, it's light (relatively), lighter than pine as a general rule.

But it's hella stout on a strength/weight basis, so I may do the neck as well.

We'll see.
Charles Darwin
von Layzonfon
UG's Grammar Stickler
1,214 IQ
I, too, would like to express an interest in seeing this done. Sounds gorgeous; mmm...dovetails...

I don't envy you the task of shaping it, if you ever get that far.

Quote by stonyman65
I don't know how it would sound...

I'm guessing it would sound pretty much exactly like an electric guitar.
poppameth
Lord of Freaky Dingos
838 IQ
It depends on the type of bamboo. Normal bamboo isn't that heavy. Strand woven is heavy as hell because it's injected with resins and hardened under high temp and compression. Twice as hard and twice as heavy as regular bamboo. I know strand is hard to end nail into (I sell it for flooring.) Regular bamboo isn't as difficult to nail but I've never tried to shape it. It's grass after all so the fibers behave differently than a wood fiber does.
Roc8995
2,050 IQ
Quote by poppameth
It's grass after all so the fibers behave differently than a wood fiber does.

This is what I'd be worried about. Bamboo seems to warp and split far more readily than wood. With a laminate it should make a decent body but I wouldn't trust it in a neck, myself.
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
830 IQ
Quote by Roc8995
This is what I'd be worried about. Bamboo seems to warp and split far more readily than wood. With a laminate it should make a decent body but I wouldn't trust it in a neck, myself.

I think you're probably right, and I'm looking into some of the resin impregnated versions, which are similar in weight to mahogany or maple but significantly harder than either of them.
Charles Darwin
inkandlead
730 IQ
Sweet tele. Thats only a top and back though. Full body may be something completely new. Definitely interested.
n1ckn1ce
Slight douchebag.
2,348 IQ
Sounds sweet. I laugh at first because I thaugt of the straw-like thing and I told myself :how the **** does e want to make a guit out of that? but after seeing the tele, sounds promising.
timbit2006
DEATH THRASH!
3,299 IQ
How are you planning on machining it?
Bamboo will cause ridiculous amounts of wear on steel planer blades. If you do decide to plane it, you can expect ridicoulous amounts of tearout. It is extremely hard to surface it via hand tools.
If you have a thickness/drum sander you could surface it that way, but that'd take a long time.

I have heard that carbide works well with bamboo. Perhaps you can use a router surfacing jig. I'm not sure if a carbide blade in the planer or spiral cutterhead would work. You'd have to check that one yourself.
DISPLACED
valennic
No longer Adam West.
4,337 IQ
I only know of bamboo necks, which Tom of Oakland Axe Factory uses VERY often. Never seen a bamboo body though. Don't see why it wouldn't work honestly.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Arby911
Finding the Pattern
830 IQ
Quote by timbit2006
How are you planning on machining it?
Bamboo will cause ridiculous amounts of wear on steel planer blades. If you do decide to plane it, you can expect ridicoulous amounts of tearout. It is extremely hard to surface it via hand tools.
If you have a thickness/drum sander you could surface it that way, but that'd take a long time.

I have heard that carbide works well with bamboo. Perhaps you can use a router surfacing jig. I'm not sure if a carbide blade in the planer or spiral cutterhead would work. You'd have to check that one yourself.

I was going to start with conventional tools, but I see that opinions are all over the place as to whether that will work, tearout etc. (I spoke to a furniture builder who has used similar materials and he said it wasn't too bad if you could score your cut lines first and use very sharp blades. I've got carbide blades for my planer, but IMO they don't give the same surface finish as HSS...and I don't have a drum sander...so that may indeed be a concern.

This is EXACTLY the kind of feedback I was looking for, thanks!

If all else fails, I have access to a 5 axis high speed milling machine...
Charles Darwin
power freak
Counting to infinity...
1,431 IQ
Yamaha used to make (maybe they still do?) a bamboo acoustic guitar.. Tonally I thought it sounded a little dead, but that was only one example so might have been a dud. And of course electrics are a totally different kettle of fish. With its light weight and stiffness I imagine it'd make a very resonant solid body.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
timbit2006
DEATH THRASH!
3,299 IQ
Quote by Arby911
I was going to start with conventional tools, but I see that opinions are all over the place as to whether that will work, tearout etc. (I spoke to a furniture builder who has used similar materials and he said it wasn't too bad if you could score your cut lines first and use very sharp blades. I've got carbide blades for my planer, but IMO they don't give the same surface finish as HSS...and I don't have a drum sander...so that may indeed be a concern.

This is EXACTLY the kind of feedback I was looking for, thanks!

If all else fails, I have access to a 5 axis high speed milling machine...

I'd imagine a carbide end mill bit on your milling machine would work. It may even be more accurate than a planer.
I recommend asking this question on a woodworking forum where you can get technical advice rather than the normal, "Yeah, cool. That will work!"-No offence to those that said that, style answer. Check out Lumberjocks.com The users there are very knowledgeable and friendly.
DISPLACED