Page 4 of 4
JoshElliott27
Tab Contributor
1,376 IQ
Is there any way to get UG to be a genre neutral website? As a fan of alt rock and indie rock, it's quite sad seeing all the creativity put into those songs get brushed aside by all the excess of metal content. Metal isn't the only genre with groundbreaking and inventive music.
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?
6,605 IQ
Quote by JoshElliott27
Is there any way to get UG to be a genre neutral website? As a fan of alt rock and indie rock, it's quite sad seeing all the creativity put into those songs get brushed aside by all the excess of metal content. Metal isn't the only genre with groundbreaking and inventive music.
I'm not sure what you hope UG can do to improve this. If the user base is not there, certain fields of discussion will always be put into second or third position, and few innovations or improvements will be made. It's the nature of economics; even being compared to the idea of survival of the fittest. It's not that the Indie and Alternative music posted here isn't up to par; it's that guitar music discussion is often occupied by metal, classic rock and blues. These take center stage, not because they're better, but because they're more popular. To make a genre neutral website would be to have genre neutral members. That's not something we can control.
JoshElliott27
Tab Contributor
1,376 IQ
Quote by AngryGoldfish
If the user base is not there, certain fields of discussion will always be put into second or third position, and few innovations or improvements will be made..

Ever since i first started using the website (and im sure since the websites genesis), it has been overrun by metal content. It seems that because metal fans have been using UG longer than any other genre, they seem to have the most control over the activity on the website. Perhaps make certain sections dedicated to other genres, the way Itunes front page isnt just 100% pop music. They do have the top Alt rock, top Metal, top everything on their front page. While i know metal would still be the top contribution with the most content, it would be nice to see other (equally deserving genres) get some air time as well. Considering the fans of it could possibly be there, but UG has been pandering to Metal fans this entire time while possibly not realizing there are other markets. The amount of people who go to UG, but skip everything on the front page is probably sizeable; although i dont have the number.
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?
6,605 IQ
Quote by JoshElliott27
Ever since i first started using the website (and im sure since the websites genesis), it has been overrun by metal content. It seems that because metal fans have been using UG longer than any other genre, they seem to have the most control over the activity on the website. Perhaps make certain sections dedicated to other genres, the way Itunes front page isnt just 100% pop music. They do have the top Alt rock, top Metal, top everything on their front page. While i know metal would still be the top contribution with the most content, it would be nice to see other (equally deserving genres) get some air time as well. Considering the fans of it could possibly be there, but UG has been pandering to Metal fans this entire time while possibly not realizing there are other markets. The amount of people who go to UG, but skip everything on the front page is probably sizeable; although i dont have the number.
Are you talking about the forums or content on the front page?
JoshElliott27
Tab Contributor
1,376 IQ
Content on the front page. Iv had an account for years, but only recently started submitting tabs. Along with submitting tabs, iv also been browsing the front page more frequently. Music news is literally the only thing that i have the ability to relate too considering it mentions big name artists like Bowie, AcDc or GnR. Album reviews are 9/10 times just metal albums, which doesnt interest me or anyone who isnt a metal fan. Again, i make the comparison to Itunes and how they dont just appeal to the "main demographic", pop and country music. While that may be 40-50% of their content; the other half is a variety of other genres. Like i said, metal may be the most guitar heavy genre but i dont see how expanding your market with other genres (still guitar related) is a bad thing.