Page 11 of 11
I guess I was familiar with the Super 5, I recommended them earlier in the thread (back in February) haha. It's been a while since I owned my Blue Voodoo, my memory is growing weak on that amp. For some reason I thought I had the 4 LED when I was looking at the cointaker site again... but, the Super 5 are the bulbs I had.

LED bulbs don't get anywhere near as hot as the old incandescent bulbs. They also last way longer (unless the LED itself has a defect). They aren't as fragile either, so you don't have to worry about broken glass being an issue. They're a smart replacement for those amps.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Just placed an order for a BVD R cabinet and had them verify it was loaded with the V30's, $200 bucks! (YAY!) minus shipping(50.00)of course (thieving bastards!)

I know everyone likes the Vintage 30's but what do you think of the cabinets?

Tolex is tore up pretty good on it .. if I keep the actual cab (cause I know I'm keeping those speakers if they are in good working order) I'll have to re-tolex it, which will be a learning experience. Already sourced a video on that to.
My newest addition,
2015 Dean DimeBonics ML to see more of my gear visit my profile.
The cabinets are built very well. Sleeping Giants I say. Why more people don't jump on these BV or even some of the GT cabinets from Crate, swap in some good speakers, the BAM! Cab on the cheap!

I have two of the BV Cabinets, one straight, one slant. The straight has the Vintage 30's in it, and the slant has the Eminence Crate stock speakers.
Quote by ghostman1846
The cabinets are built very well. Sleeping Giants I say. Why more people don't jump on these BV or even some of the GT cabinets from Crate, swap in some good speakers, then BAM! Cab on the cheap!

I have two of the BV Cabinets, one straight, one slant. The straight has the Vintage 30's in it, and the slant has the Eminence Crate stock speakers.

So the slant and straight cabinets came with different speakers from the factory? Glad I got the 'R' straight cab cause I was specifically looking for those V30's without having to spend $600.00 bucks. Good deal man, thanks for the reply. I like your enthusiasm my brother describes things the same way.
My newest addition,
Ikillintel

No, they both came in two versions. One with the Vintage 30's which has the "Celestion Equipped" Logo badge, and the less expensive versions with the Crate branded Eminence. I just happened upon the Straight cab version with the V-30's.

So you could originally get either the straight or slant cabs in either flavor.
Quote by ghostman1846
Ikillintel

No, they both came in two versions. One with the Vintage 30's which has the "Celestion Equipped" Logo badge, and the less expensive versions with the Crate branded Eminence. I just happened upon the Straight cab version with the V-30's.

So you could originally get either the straight or slant cabs in either flavor.

Crate's literature says that all BV412RVB/SVB cabs are loaded with Celestion 30's?

Perhaps you're thinking of a different Crate cab? They made several.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Yeah, I just looked up the manual and it's say'n '(4) Celestion 12” 16 ohm Vintage 30 speakers'
My newest addition,
Not all BlueVoodoo cabs had Celestion's. I currently own one BV with Crate Eminence speakers, verified with LOUD Technologies and they did make them, more actually, than the Celestion loaded cabs. I recently sold another older version of the BV slant cab with Eminence stock speakers. Again, Serial number verified they were Crate Eminence as I was trying to get info on the speaker specifications.

So, no, not all BV Cabs came with Celestion.
Did you guys notice our IQ's (under join date) went down... I had a 589 , and I know ghostman1846 had a 30 .

All I can go by is what I've read and heard from others who've had them. This will be my first BVD Cab and like I said I was wanting the V30's. I'll find out tomorrow as its showing it's ready for pickup.
My newest addition,
Quote by ghostman1846
Not all BlueVoodoo cabs had Celestion's. I currently own one BV with Crate Eminence speakers, verified with LOUD Technologies and they did make them, more actually, than the Celestion loaded cabs. I recently sold another older version of the BV slant cab with Eminence stock speakers. Again, Serial number verified they were Crate Eminence as I was trying to get info on the speaker specifications.

So, no, not all BV Cabs came with Celestion.

What's the actual model number of yours?
Charles Darwin
I'll have to dig in tonight when I get home. But I know they start with BV. I can't vouch for the one I sold, but I recall that it was definitely a BV model number.
Quote by ghostman1846
I'll have to dig in tonight when I get home. But I know they start with BV. I can't vouch for the one I sold, but I recall that it was definitely a BV model number.

I note that the BV412 and BV412S did not come with v30's, but all of the BV412RVB and BV412SVB's did, that's why the exact model number is important.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
I note that the BV412 and BV412S did not come with v30's, but all of the BV412RVB and BV412SVB's did, that's why the exact model number is important.

You are 100% correct. The RVB and SVB cabs all did come with the Vintage 30's. Maybe I mis-understood the original comments. My apologies.
Ok.. I went to pickup the cab today and opened it up.. it was loaded with Eminence speakers but had the Celestion Equipped badge. The cab model was BV412RVB so someone swapped em out. Needless to say I didn't bring it home, the search continues lol. And just as a reminder be sure you open those cabinets up before walking out with it even if they say they checked.
My newest addition,
Last edited by Ikillintel at Sep 22, 2016,
Ikillintel Glad you cracked it open and checked. I can remember in the early and mid 00's knowing a large number of folks who would go around buying up old Blue Voodoo cabs to strip the Celestions out of them, to replace their G12T75 speakers in their Marshall cabs, or upgrade their non-celestion loaded cabs. Crate products, even at that time, had a bad reputation and their stuff sold dirt cheap on the used market. Drop 200 bucks on a Blue Voodoo cab, strip the speakers, put in your old clunker speakers... sell the cab for 50 - 100 bucks. You're ahead cash as used celestion vintage 30 speakers are easily $75 bucks and up per speaker, probably more at that time in history. Crate cabs and some of the Ampeg guitar cabs sold cheaper than what the speakers inside of them were worth because of the name on the front of the cab.

If you really want a Voodoo cab, you might get lucky if you can find a Red Voodoo cab on the market, those are less likely to be molested due to owners perceiving them as being more 'collectible' than the Blue Voodoo cabs. But, the Red Voodoo cabs tend to command more cash wise than the blue counter-parts for that reason as well.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
The last Red Voodoo Cab I saw on Craigslist was about a year ago, and the asking price was $500.
I've created a demo video of the post mods, and how it sounds after. I go through all the tone settings one by one. Check it out:

nice video. normally resurrecting old threads is frowned on but this is useful so not a problem.
Quote by monwobobbo
nice video. normally resurrecting old threads is frowned on but this is useful so not a problem.

I didn't think September was that long ago.
Quote by ghostman1846
I didn't think September was that long ago.

this thread was started 4 years ago
monwobobbo

Yeah, but the thread has been posted to throughout the last few years. Doesn't really matter.
ghostman1846

it also got reported as old thread. I made a call. obviously it's still open so no biggie.
They wants to takes it from us!
My newest addition,
Quote by Ikillintel
They wants to takes it from us!

well no. in most cases old threads get closed if someone posts in them. since this deals with a specific amp series and has informative stuff in it it has stayed open. I don't want to close threads like this as we do encourage folks to use the search function. better this way then 10 different threads on the same thing
Quote by monwobobbo
well no. in most cases old threads get closed if someone posts in them. since this deals with a specific amp series and has informative stuff in it it has stayed open. I don't want to close threads like this as we do encourage folks to use the search function. better this way then 10 different threads on the same thing

I know man, just playing along... this is a great thread!
My newest addition,
I know this is an old thread. I had one of the old Blue ones years ago and was not impressed. In the past week I got a good deal on a mint one in black. The Groove Tubes don't even look burned in. When I got it home it was like an ice pick on the clean, the gain channel was pure fuzz. All I did was clean it and all jacks up. The bias was reading 32, I reset at 43. The amp really came alive and I see no point in modding it at this point. My main amp is a 6505+ head that has been modded and my practice rig is a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100. Also on another note I have 3 cabs. In regard to the Blue Voodoo to my ears best to worst. A custom 212 cab loaded with EV12ML's it screams, Mesa 412 loaded with V30's sounds great, my old Marshall 1960 JCM900 cab it sounds pretty thin. All things said when I hear all the hate for these amps, I wonder if the bias was hot, cabs and guitars were good quality. Awesome find and I'm happy with it. PS if anyone see's this I could use links on a parts search. Looking for Blue Lights for the back and a pair of rocker switches.
Last edited by tsupra at Jan 31, 2017,
the mods really do wake it up. quick and easy.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

"PRESS RELEASE! Trashed has some pics!" (MON 2017-02-06)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/

Trashed ENG Shop Tour!
---> https://youtu.be/KQVlpYaulhA