Page 10 of 10
ThunderPunk
166 IQ
Quote by wcs392041

Thunder, I'm going to go with your tube setup that you listed, as I've heard the JJ's are the way to go in the BV's. I just, mainly wanna get rid of that 'fizz' in the distortion.

The fizz is primarily in the treble and presence controls. Cranking the mids and using an EQ pedal in the loop to help shape things further eliminates a lot of that fizz. Keep the treble and presence settings on the amp around noon or less. Anything higher than that on those two knobs and you'll have a beehive frying bacon coming through your speakers.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX, Peavey Classic 50.
wcs392041
10 IQ
LOL @ Behive Frying Bacon

Surprisingly, I set up the whole stack at practice Monday. Got to turn it up to about 3, and it was very clean. I kept the gain around 11 o'clock, and it was again, very clean. Only thing I really lost was my thick palm muting sound that I like. But other than that, everything sounded good. I still may do the mod tho, and definitely changing over to JJ's.

I'm guessing that I'll have to bias this head once I put the JJ's in it right? With my luck, I don't expect anything to go easy haha
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,457 IQ
You do not have to bias preamp tubes. They make more of difference and power amp tubes in my opinion. However, it is good to have a backup set.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
wcs392041
10 IQ
Oh, that's right. Duh, forgot about that.

Ok, last time (or at least I'm hoping) buggin' you guys. I have one more thing I need to ask about.

At some point during all of this thread, I've seen it asked if the bulb behind the tube was working. I can't remember what reason it was asked, but it got asked a lot.

My question. I have a bulb out behind one of my tubes. I put a new one in, and it still doesn't come on. I know it means something, but can't remember what. Amp sounds fine, and very loud. How do I get the lamp back on?

Thanks in advance, again. haha

PS - it's the bulb behind the power tube closest to the input jack. (Far left if looking from the back of the head)
Last edited by wcs392041 at Feb 10, 2016,
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
Thanks for keeping this thread alive.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
wcs392041
10 IQ
I had no choice, you guys were always the 'go to' for this amp. Now that not many people post questions here any more, I finally had to join and ask myself haha!

Thanks for making this thread!
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
832 IQ
Quote by wcs392041
Oh, that's right. Duh, forgot about that.

Ok, last time (or at least I'm hoping) buggin' you guys. I have one more thing I need to ask about.

At some point during all of this thread, I've seen it asked if the bulb behind the tube was working. I can't remember what reason it was asked, but it got asked a lot.

My question. I have a bulb out behind one of my tubes. I put a new one in, and it still doesn't come on. I know it means something, but can't remember what. Amp sounds fine, and very loud. How do I get the lamp back on?

Thanks in advance, again. haha

PS - it's the bulb behind the power tube closest to the input jack. (Far left if looking from the back of the head)

Bulb power and tube heaters run on the same supply. If none of the bulbs are on that's the first thing to troubleshoot.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
wcs392041
10 IQ
Ah ok. So if only 1 bulb is out, then it could just be a bad socket, or a cold solder joint for the bulb right? Nothing to worry about?
ThunderPunk
166 IQ
Nothing to worry about if it isn't effecting the amp in any way, and really it shouldn't.

I swapped my bulbs out for LED bulbs, that way I could switch the colors. I had blue for a while, as well as orange for a standard look. I ordered mine from a site called cointaker that specializes in pinball machines haha. The 44/47 Super 5 bulbs they offer are pretty awesome for lighting up the interior of the amp head.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX, Peavey Classic 50.
wcs392041
10 IQ
Dude, I almost ordered a set of the blues today haha! Form the same place. Saw a video of him rebulbing his pinball, and how bright and vibrant they were. But I gotta figure out how to get the 4th bulb to come on LOL That will definitely be my next investment once I get all bulbs burning.

Doesn't seem to effect the amp honestly. It's LOUD. VERY loud. Hard to tell if tubes are glowing with those 3 bright ass orange lights behind them, but tone definitely isn't suffering in any way. Nor is loudness. Did I mention loud? rofl
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
Thats awesome on the LED's.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
832 IQ
Quote by wcs392041
Ah ok. So if only 1 bulb is out, then it could just be a bad socket, or a cold solder joint for the bulb right? Nothing to worry about?

Yep
Charles Darwin
HappyJeff
10 IQ
Hello,
i hope you can help me. My Crate BV60H is humming. It´s very loud. Clean and Lead Channel, both.
6 weeks ago, everything worked fine, except some noises from V1 tube, so i tried to change preamp tube and suddenly it began to humm. I brought it to a tech and he repaired the effect loop (which was also defect), but it is still humming, and that is not normal. He tried to told me, that this is normal, but i know my amp...and that is definitely NOT normal. The amp is normally very quiet, especially in clean channel.
Do you know a solution ? I am desperate...tech has no idea. All tubes already changed, but that has nothing to do with tubes. Must be something else. Cold solder somewhere ?

I think that humm started, as soon as i touched the V1 or V4 tube...

please take a look at my youtube video. Thanks a lot from Germany.

https://youtu.be/UamPF8yXiqk

cheers
Jeff
Last edited by HappyJeff at Feb 22, 2016,
ThunderPunk
166 IQ
Even new tubes can be microphonic... try moving them around, try popping a few different ones in if you have some extra/spare preamp tubes floating around.

If it isn't a tube issue... it might be a soldering issue as these amps are known to have rather not nice boards in them. Also believe the tubes are board mounted which means something may have happened with a solder connection due to flex of the board. Other things to consider are cleaning jacks on the amp with some electronics contact cleaner. Things like the fx loop can cause noise in an amp or degrade the sound quality of an amp if the jacks get corroded or dirty. If cleaning and tube swapping doesn't help, my next guess would be a solder issue. Check the simple things first.
HappyJeff
10 IQ
Today, i changed the preamp tubes, after cleaning their sockets. But still the same problem. I guess that could really be the solder problem...uhhh, where to start ?
I will resolder the preamp tube sockets first...there are so many solder points
If it doesn´t work, i will resolder all points...uh
Perhaps on saturday, i will stay in cellar with my amp...i keep you informed
marvcoolness
10 IQ
Hello all!

Sorry to "resurrect" such an old thread, but it looks like it has had some hits recently, so...

I am a new proud owner of a BVH300!! This thing is a monster of an amp!

Here's my question/problem...

The amp came with no tubes at all, not a problem, I bought the whole tube compliment and based the amp, the only issue is that it uses 2 12au7's as its phase inverters, in positions V11 and V12, or is it V12 and V13? Brain fart! Regardless, the last two positions.. Problem is, where exactly are the last two positions physically!!! If any of you have seen the amp, or pictures of it, you will notice that like most amps the pre-amp tubes are in a row in front of the output tubes, easy enough, those are, most likely all the 12ax7's, pretty sure there, but there are three more sockets for "pre-am style tubes" behind the output tubes, this is where, most likely the 2 12au7's will go, together with the remaining 12ax7, question is exactly where?!
I have tried them in different positions, and I know enough about tube amps to realize I'm really not going to fry anything by trying, as either a 12ax7 or 12au7 are capable of being phase inverters or pre-amp tubes. I couldn't tell any difference in the sound, really, when I moved them around, no dicernable loss of gain, as you would expect if a 12au7 replaced a 12ax7 in the pre-amp stage, but with so many 12ax7's anyway it may not make a huge difference anyway. Still I would love to get them in the right place! Looking at the schematics doesn't help really, because they won' tell you where, physically, the tubes are supposed to be in relation to the chassis.

So, anybody out there knows the answer? Hey, it could be that I got it all wrong and the 12au7's are supposed to go in the front row somewhere, as I have no idea where they started counting the positions!

Another thing I should say is that the amp "gives out" a pretty loud HUM/HUMP type noise when it first turns on, even after a while on stand by, it fades away pretty quick though, and from then on it only hums as I suppose a 300W freaking tube amp would anyhow, but again, I never dealt with a beast this big, so just want to cover all the bases.

If anyone is interested I could make a review/demo video of the thing and put it up on youtube, there are only a couple of them and they are terrible, and I have a pretty funky recording set up at home...

Let me know

PS> Just realized I had posted about this amp a while back and completely forgot about it! Doh! Well, I had just purchased it back then, didn't even have the tubes yet. I was not ignoring you guys, I swear! Is there a way to "subscribe" to the thread, so I get notified when new posts are being made? I have a crazy work life and sometimes I jsut forget about forum posts...

PS2> Man, it's tough being dumb! Just saw the option to subscribe, doing so right now! Again. let me know what you guys would like me to play/test on this amp, as soon as I get the tube problem fixed I'll record the video
Last edited by marvcoolness at Feb 24, 2016,
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
832 IQ
Should be V9 and V10. I'll dig through my crap and see if I can scare up a tube diagram.
Charles Darwin
marvcoolness
10 IQ
Quote by Arby911
Tube Diagram, BV300HB

DUDE! You're awesome!

You get to pick the first song/setting you want to hear on my little review!

Gonna change it out today when I get home

Wooohooooo!!!
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
832 IQ
Quote by marvcoolness
DUDE! You're awesome!

You get to pick the first song/setting you want to hear on my little review!

Gonna change it out today when I get home

Wooohooooo!!!

Good Luck!
Charles Darwin
HappyJeff
10 IQ
Yesterday i reworked all solder points of the preamp tube sockets. But no impovement. Still big hum. Should i try some new tube sockets ?
Perhaps it is something else...but i have no idea. It still sounds like a loud mass hum, in both channels the same. Any idea ?
ThunderPunk
166 IQ
Does the hum change with your volume controls on the amp or is it a consistent hum no matter the settings? In other words, when you turn the amp up does the hum go up with it?
ghostman1846
10 IQ
Quote by ThunderPunk
.... I ordered mine from a site called cointaker that specializes in pinball machines haha. The 44/47 Super 5 bulbs they offer are pretty awesome for lighting up the interior of the amp head.

Dude, thanks for the tip on where to get the bulbs. I have been looking around for a long while now and didn't know which bulbs to even look for. I got a few sets from that site and they came last week. I spent some time last night swapping them out and took some shots.

When I pulled the stock bulbs I had the "DUH" moment when I looked on the base of the bulb and it has "47" stamped on it.

Stock bulbs with the yellow "rubbers"

Green LEDs:

Blue LEDs:

Purple LEDs:

The purple is much different than the blue, but the pictures didn't show the contrast. I'm ordering up some Red LEDs today and should have them in a week. I put the Blue ones in for now. Kind of fitting for a Blue Voodoo amp.

edit: For some reason it's not allowing me to post images.
ThunderPunk
166 IQ
I clicked on the links you put up, looks great man! Glad you could put the information to good use. Cheers! The blue is fitting... but, I like the purple. The red led bulbs should look nice and evil when they arrive.
Last edited by ThunderPunk at Feb 27, 2016,
HappyJeff
10 IQ
The hum gets louder when i turn on the volume. As you can hear in the youtube video.
today i changed two preamp tube sockets, now its worse. Even the lights dont light any more and the main tubes stay cold....uuhhh. And it smoked a little bit...perhaps an elko is defect...
wcs392041
10 IQ
Quote by ThunderPunk
Hey wcs. I'll share how I had mine set up with you as far as tube set up goes.

Preamp tubes - Looking at the front of the amp going from right to left:

The first two preamp slots should be loaded with JJ/Tesla ECC83.

I liked an Electro Harmonix 12AX7 in the third slot - this is for the fx loop. I think the JJ is too dark and gainy for this position.

Fourth Preamp tube benefits from a Sovtek 12AX7LPS - a balanced one if you can find one.

Power tubes - just a nice matched quad of JJ/Tesla 6L6GC tubes.

Don't get too hung up on the "high-gain" designation, and the whole "gold-pin" option is pretty much unnecessary for this amp.

ThunderPunk - I'm ordering my tubes, and I've got the Sovtek 12AX7LPS (Balanced). Found it no problem. But with the Electro Harmonix 12AX7, they're asking if I want a low gain 85-95 on VTV. I don't even know wtf that is... LOL Do I get it with that option? Or without?

Thanks in advance!
ThunderPunk
166 IQ
I'm guessing the VTV is a way of testing how "hot or cold" a tube is. By hot or cold, we're talking how much gain or how quickly it begins breaking up. I'm not being overly scientific here haha. All tubes are a little different, even of the same brand. So, they may be asking if you want a 12ax7 that is a bit cooler on the spectrum. You could certainly go for that option if you want. The only way I'd advise against it is if they were going to try to charge you more for it. It is not necessary to get that option though. I doubt the difference is that great. It's not like you're moving from a 12ax7 to a 5751 or to 12at7.
wcs392041
10 IQ
Thanks man! That's the info I needed! Just gonna get the one without that option. Again, thanks! Can't wait to get them all in and check 'em out!
ghostman1846
10 IQ
My BV120 has developed an issue.

When I turn on the effects loop, I get some hum, then when I turn on a pedal, I get a loud snap. It's not the pedal, because when I put it up front between the guitar and input, it doesn't pop at all.

I'm not sure where to even begin looking for this. The problem developed when I was swapping out some preamp tubes in V1. However, I put the same tube that I had in there when there wasn't an issue, and it's still there.

The pop gets louder as time progresses when it's on.

Any ideas?
ghostman1846
10 IQ
It's been temporarily fixed for now. The -12db switch for the effects loop was off which was giving me all the noise and popping issues. With it pushed in and engaged, it's quiet and no pops. All good for now.