Page 12 of 12
Blackfire.
Per Mare Per Terras
30 IQ
Quote by Cathbard
I know a rush job when I see it. We're talking about my trade here.

Only if you would have opened it up when you first got it and noticed the rush job, and sent it back to get one that wasn't rushed would have been ideal. I really don't mind doing it for the price, it takes 5 mins.
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
240 IQ
I'm giving you advice about something I am qualified to comment on. Take it or leave it as you will. I did say right at the start that if you are willing or capable of rebuilding it they are ok based on the cost of components. If you think of them as an incomplete kit then power on with that.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 10, 2013,
Blackfire.
Per Mare Per Terras
30 IQ
Quote by Cathbard
I'm giving you advice about something I am qualified to comment on. Take it or leave it as you will.

I've worked on electronics a long time ago for a few things and also automotive parts. Building pedals is quite easy. I see your advice and thanks for the concern but we are getting passed the point of advice if I already have 2 pedals that work and are built correctly.

You made a choice to hate that company which is fine everyone can make up their own mind. My advice would be to open it up right away when you get it to make sure it's made correctly and plays correctly, so you have a chance to send it back in case it isn't up to par.

It sucks that you happened to have experience with some bad apples but I've seen more people happy with theirs than not.

Quote by Cathbard
I did say right at the start that if you are willing or capable of rebuilding it they are ok based on the cost of components. If you think of them as an incomplete kit then power on with that.

There is no cost of components if you do what I suggest because you would get a new one in the mail.
Last edited by Blackfire. at Dec 10, 2013,
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
240 IQ
I meant that to build it from scratch would cost more in parts. So if you are prepared to rebuild it as if it was a partially assembled kit then they are ok. As a finished product it's a pig in a poke.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
MaaZeus
30 IQ
I might aswell as bump this thread up for us Joyo collectors. I finally got the cables so I could really put the Joyo Noise Gate through its paces in FX Loop where it belongs.

It works but there is unfortunately a tone loss. I only noticed when I used a lot of gain through my Valveking but it is there. If I would have to describe it there is a slight loss of crunch with it on, sound gets slightly duller. Its very subtle but noticeable when you concentrate on it. When just playing around you will propably forget about it fast but when you turn it off you will notice that the sound bites more again.

So my verdict unfortunately is, I do not recommend it unless you are on a budget and you really need to pacify that noisy amp/pedal.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Blackfire.
Per Mare Per Terras
30 IQ
Quote by MaaZeus
I might aswell as bump this thread up for us Joyo collectors. I finally got the cables so I could really put the Joyo Noise Gate through its paces in FX Loop where it belongs.

It works but there is unfortunately a tone loss. I only noticed when I used a lot of gain through my Valveking but it is there. If I would have to describe it there is a slight loss of crunch with it on, sound gets slightly duller. Its very subtle but noticeable when you concentrate on it. When just playing around you will propably forget about it fast but when you turn it off you will notice that the sound bites more again.

So my verdict unfortunately is, I do not recommend it unless you are on a budget and you really need to pacify that noisy amp/pedal.

Sorry to hear that. That's one of the pedals by them that got terrible reviews.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
MaaZeus
30 IQ
Quote by Blackfire.
Sorry to hear that. That's one of the pedals by them that got terrible reviews.

Yeah. Unfortunately the reviews surfaced after I had ordered the pedal several months ago. Before that there was nothing but assumptions that this may be Decimator clone. I guess it can be safely confirmed that it is not. Its something else or maybe even Joyos own design but its not particularly good pedal. Noise gate should not cause any tone loss when the gate is wide open.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
440 IQ
I can notice slight tone loss even with my decimator. It's very subtle, though.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

lespaul#1
UG's Biggest Flirt
284 IQ
Does anyone know about their fuzz? Could I get A Black Keys tone from it?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
440 IQ
I think arby has the fuzz? If he doesn't see in here you could ask in the WTLT thread.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

jpnyc
Banned
90 IQ
You need a Super Fuzz clone for Black Keys tone. Black Cat will get you there.
lespaul#1
UG's Biggest Flirt
284 IQ
That and a deluxe reverb would be good for that kinda sound? I just like that old dirty blues tone of theirs.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
BlueIceBox
Bzzzz
140 IQ
Looks like my Classic Flanger has finally kicked the bucket

I used it for the first time in a month yesterday. When I switched it on there was no flanging, it just distorted the signal. It turned into a cheap distortion pedal! I thought the battery might be flat and changed it. There was some modulation and a little but of distortion like before, but still no flanging. Instead of flanging the pitch just went up and down like an out of tune slow chorus or something alone the lines of that. The battery I placed in was an old battery that I didn't use much, bit it could have been flat anyway (due to being in the sunlight or something), so I decided to replace it with a brand new battery. Just as I took the old battery out one of the wires connecting the 9V battery terminals snapped off!

I don't know if the previous problem was due to a weak connection to the terminal or it was just coincidental Hopefully it was just a loose connection. It's still under warranty but I don't think it's worth sending back a £30 pedal to the seller.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
440 IQ
^ that sucks

it's up to you, really. if things are pretty new the seller should really pay return postage, but if it's a bit older it's maybe a bit of a grey area. i suppose it depends on how much you like it (and how long you trust the replacement to keep working for).
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

eyesonly
10 IQ
Quote by Cathbard
Apparently the Classic Flanger is an MXR M117 (the EVH flanger) - unconfirmed

From my personal experience having owned all the recent MXR Flangers, the Grey one, the White EVH and now I am using the Micro Flanger which I've had on the board for about a year or two. Today I got a Joyo Flanger with the Jet on the front. With the knobs all at 12 o'clock it totally nails the sound of the MXR Micro Flanger. I would say it is indeed like the Micro Flanger but with the extra delay time and width knobs. They both run on 9V. In any event it may well just be the 117 but at 9V or either way it doesn't really matter, I'd have to say it's an MXR type flanger.
Last edited by eyesonly at Mar 31, 2014,
metalmingee
20 IQ
Any of you guys tried the Joyo D-Seed Delay? I'm pretty happy with my Vintage Overdrive and have been looking for a delay to play around with. I like the tap tempo feature. Thoughts?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)

Amps:
Mesa Dual Rec Roadster 212
Peavey 5150 212 with V30s
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver
eyesonly
10 IQ
Quote by lespaul#1
Does anyone know about their fuzz? Could I get A Black Keys tone from it?

I have the Fuzz. I think it is so versatile it would get you really close to practically anything that uses a fuzz tone on it. The Black Keys aren't really massive Fuzz users. Which song did you mean specifically?
BlueIceBox
Bzzzz
140 IQ
From the most recent album at least, the lead lick of Gold on the ceiling uses fuzz (or so I think?)
Gear:
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
BlueIceBox
Bzzzz
140 IQ
I think the classic flanger does a nice watery chorus when regen is set to zero
Gear:
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
BlueIceBox
Bzzzz
140 IQ
Impulse bought the analog chorus yesterday (damn you Amazon and your free prime trials!).

Immediately after opening it up I knew my classic flanger was from a bad batch. The build quality here was top notch for a dirt cheap pedal. My classic flanger had blobs of glue smeared everywhere, whereas this chorus was all nice and clean I'll try and post pics to show what I mean.

When I first tried it, my heart sank. It wouldn't work! I thought to myself "oh god, not again, not another faulty Joyo pedal". Turns out the old unused battery I had on my shelf was a bad one . After replacing the battery I tried it again and it sounds great

I was a little worried about the lack of level control (unlike the Boss CE) because I wanted something more subtle rather than 'in your face', but it's not too 'wet' and sounds great both with clean and high gain

So um, that's all there is to it I guess! If this fails on me like the classic flanger then I'll probably end up getting a Boss CE, but for the time being it does the job very well.

(I'm itching for a compressor, but I don't want to get carried away and get the Joyo Comp )
Gear:
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus