Putting aside my "nickels and dimes" for a Gibson Les Paul. Any suggestions for what I should be looking out for on the used market, or would any decent model that suits my fancy at Guitar Center suffice? I'm not looking for a Studio but for Standard model and above.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Ernie Ball Volume Jr
Joyo Sweet Baby OD
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
Do you have a rough approximation of what your budget will be?

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Standard and above is a pretty wide range. If you're being patient and saving up for something you're going to keep forever, you might as well hold out for a Reissue. Usually you can find a few on the Gear Page at reasonable prices.
Well, the $2,000-$2,500 range is around my max since I realize that this what new Les Pauls are going for. Anything lower than that is certainly good for my wallet, but if it's worth my while then I'll always at least take a glance.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Ernie Ball Volume Jr
Joyo Sweet Baby OD
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
You'll definitely be able to get a used R8 for that if you're patient (or an R7 if you want a goldtop, or an R6 if you want P90s).
Take a look at a Yamaha SG2000 too... (When spending that amount of money, you could as well look at all alternatives.)

But if you're dead set on a Gibson Les Paul, I wish you good luck in finding the one. Play all you can get your hands on; it's quite hard to give you any recommendations just like this on the internet.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
I'm not sure how much $2000 dollars would buy you to be honest being from England but I would advise that if you are shelling out that much money to take you time play as much as you can and if buying used make sure you're getting a good deal. Don't get 'trigger happy' make the best decision for you don't buy the first thing that comes along.

To that end I wouldn't advise just going to guitar centre and seeing what takes your fancy, I've seen it and done it myself. Walking into a guitar store with a load of money and no crystal clear idea what you want is dangerous.

^ and definitely check out an SG2000 don't be fooled by the double cut away it's more Les Paul than SG imo
SMILE!
Last edited by Mr.DeadDuck at Apr 30, 2012,
Gibsons vary a lot and they've made so many models of Les Paul over the years - some which may be discontinued but still sitting in shops - that it's silly to try and guess what LP will suit you. Go to some shops, play a lot of Les Pauls, buy the one you like the most.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Roc8995
You'll definitely be able to get a used R8 for that if you're patient (or an R7 if you want a goldtop, or an R6 if you want P90s).

This. Colin knows his shit.

I'm currently saving for an R8. $2k will get you that easily.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
My used R0 was under $2500. Barely, but worth every penny.

I've owned 3 standards, 2 studios and one old deluxe. The custom shop stuff is worth saving for IMO.

+2 to what Colin posted.
Why don't they make mouse flavored cat food?
I have a Gibson Les Paul Traditional 1960
payed around $2000 for it. It has the 60's neck and 57 classic pickups. I love my Les Paul and would recomend one to anyone. I got it new, im not really sure how much the used les pauls go for though.
I have two of the newer standards (08 and 11). I think they play great and I like the neck profile. I would go try a few and see what you prefer.
Quote by Tom 1.0
This. Colin knows his shit.

I'm currently saving for an R8. $2k will get you that easily.

I actually created a separate savings account in my bank to throw extra cash in towards a new guitar. Your recent posts have got an R7 up there on my list right along with some FCS options I'm considering. Damn, those goldtops are sexy.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
They are, though get an r0 in gold, that slim neck would be better for your wimpy strat hands!

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
They are, though get an r0 in gold, that slim neck would be better for your wimpy strat hands!

I spent like 5 minutes trying to think of a clever comeback, but I'm stumped. You win this round.

Quote by EyeNon15

1 3 5 R
2 4 6

Tbf I think the fat 60s profile on Strats is bigger than my 50s LP neck, the shape just feels but them Fenders sound damn good.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
My CIJ Fender has the oval shape with the 7.25" Radius. It feels oddly similar to the slim-taper Gibson necks I've tried. I'll check out the R0s. Gotta find a place that I can scope out some good used ones.

Quote by EyeNon15

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
I generally prefer the 60s slim taper neck, so my test drives have determined. I tried a 2012 Standard that felt so nice and sounded like I had envisioned a Les Paul should sound, but the "pure bypass" switch for the bridge pickup and the coil tapping didn't do much for me. I'll keep an open mind and look for a used R8 or R7, though. I'm fairly new to the high end guitar end and have only played three Gibson Les Pauls in my life.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Ernie Ball Volume Jr
Joyo Sweet Baby OD
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
Definitely try to find a good deal on a used R7 or R8 if you can. I really don't like the Gibson les paul standards or traditionals. Stock, they have that "blanket over the amp" kind of sound and are generally just not that impressive considering that for a few hundred more, you can get a used R7 or R8 that will just sound killer.
Used R8 or R7 is definitely the way to go...

You might be able to get a used 68RI if you wanted a Custom on eBay but they're not too common...
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Quote by sg4ever
Putting aside my "nickels and dimes" for a Gibson Les Paul. Any suggestions for what I should be looking out for on the used market, or would any decent model that suits my fancy at Guitar Center suffice? I'm not looking for a Studio but for Standard model and above.

Historic.

The prices on an R8 aren't that much higher than a used USA Standard.

I bought mine for $2000 shipped.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Thanks for the suggestions. I suppose I have some thinking to do when I get the money all accounted for.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Ernie Ball Volume Jr
Joyo Sweet Baby OD
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5