Page 7 of 7
RedDeath9
UG's Nu/Shyguy
3,130 IQ
That was pretty beautiful. You're right, though, it does sound a bit too harmonic. Even if they were xenophobic/isolated, that still wasn't alluded to in the music... If they were isolated, that's alright, actually. But if they're xenophobic for some reason, I think that's an important enough part of their culture to capture in the music.

EDIT: If they're xenophobic, I'd leave the parts as they are, but add a section that is a little more dissonant/weird compared to the rest (but not glaringly-so)
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Apr 9, 2013,
CheesyMozarella
Slacker
1,015 IQ
Quote by Wquennasar
Love it Cheesy.

Thanks!

Quote by RedDeath9
That was pretty beautiful. You're right, though, it does sound a bit too harmonic. Even if they were xenophobic/isolated, that still wasn't alluded to in the music... If they were isolated, that's alright, actually. But if they're xenophobic for some reason, I think that's an important enough part of their culture to capture in the music.

EDIT: If they're xenophobic, I'd leave the parts as they are, but add a section that is a little more dissonant/weird compared to the rest (but not glaringly-so)

Yeah, I'll try to figure something out. Not sure what yet though.
amonamarthmetal
1,808 IQ
Quote by CheesyMozarella
So, this is what I got so far. First I thought of a serene little village in the woods, but now as I'm posting this I thought that maybe it's a bit too harmonic. If it's untouched by technology, maybe they're really xenophobic and/or isolated?

Hey, you can inspect my anus anytime!

I think you should change the forth chord form this

E-
B-8
G-9
D-10
A-8
E-

To this

E-
B-10
G-9
D-10
A-8
E-

It just flows better to me but if you like it the other way by all means keep it
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
gabrielcev
369 IQ
Cheesy very good for a peaceful town theme. It's not to harmonic in my opinion because it gives it a more peaceful town theme feel. If the town was at war then it would be a problem. Also it would make a very good world map theme in my opinion. Very good track.
Something, something, something... dark side.
RedDeath9
UG's Nu/Shyguy
3,130 IQ
Hmm, I like it. Honestly, either one would work, though. It all depends on the specifics of the town.

I feel like I'd do the xenophobic section differently, but that's just personal preference. The only reason I'd even consider that, though, is because I really like how the section starts out. Bar 21 sort of throws off the rhythm, though. It's the way the bass and ocarina sync up, and it almost sounds like the bar is split into groups of 2 rather than 3. As in, the rest of it is in 6/8, grouped as 3-3, whereas bar 21 suddenly seems to change to 2-2-2.

ACTUALLY, I think it's the acoustic guitar that mainly throws it off. The two main chords (8-10-9-8 and 10-12-12-12) accent different beats in this bar. I'm thinking, if you just stuck ONE chord, right in the middle of this bar, on the 4th beat (counting 1 2 3 4 5 6), it would fix the flow.
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Apr 11, 2013,
Cavalcade
razor sharp
1,942 IQ
Oh hey, this is, uh, still a thing.
Um.
So, remind me, were there any suggestions for changes to my entries?
amonamarthmetal
1,808 IQ
Quote by CheesyMozarella
I fixed it, but I can honestly say that I'm not too happy with the xenophobic part and I'm thinking about redoing it.

I love this piece so much. I don't know if the xeno part would fit but its still nice. I recently finished Skyward Sword and this piece reminds me of the Lanaryu Desert with the robots and the time shift orbs. The thing i like most is you didn't throw in any unnecessary time signatures. (don't take that as an insult)
Gear:
Schecter KM-6
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
CheesyMozarella
Slacker
1,015 IQ
Quote by amonamarthmetal
I love this piece so much. I don't know if the xeno part would fit but its still nice. I recently finished Skyward Sword and this piece reminds me of the Lanaryu Desert with the robots and the time shift orbs. The thing i like most is you didn't throw in any unnecessary time signatures. (don't take that as an insult)

Thank you! I try to only use odd time signatures if I see them fit. I actually kind of recorded it a week ago (I didn't really check the audio levels when I recorded it, so some of the high notes get quite loud and the bass is too bass-y): https://soundcloud.com/laserost/town-theme

I think I'm gonna do one of the cities now. Either we use the one with the xenophobic part or the one without. Personally I prefer the one without the xeno-part.
amonamarthmetal
1,808 IQ
Keep the song the way it is in the recording. I didn't think it was to bassy or that the sounds got loud. What type of speakers do you have? Also, what do you use to get the sounds?
Gear:
Schecter KM-6
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer
640 IQ
So, I was listening to some of RedDeath's pieces this morning and I was inspired to do this... not that it's anywhere near the same level of RedDeath's video gamey/metally pieces, but it's a step.

Anyway, maybe you guys will think it fits somewhere on this soundtrack, maybe you won't. Either way.
Attachments:
Chiptune 5.mid
Chiptune 5.gp5
amonamarthmetal
1,808 IQ
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
So, I was listening to some of RedDeath's pieces this morning and I was inspired to do this... not that it's anywhere near the same level of RedDeath's video gamey/metally pieces, but it's a step.

Anyway, maybe you guys will think it fits somewhere on this soundtrack, maybe you won't. Either way.

I image a storm brewing during a boss fight or perhaps a difficult moment the hero must overcome. Either way there would have to be a storm. I think you should re-arrange so it isn't metal-ified. It is up to you though. I just think it would fit better without the distorted guitars and double bass.
Gear:
Schecter KM-6
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer
640 IQ
Hmm. I have to disagree with unmetalifying it, personally. I don't find metal influenced parts (okay, maybe the double bass) to be too uncommon or inherently weird in a video game soundtrack, but that's just me. Thanks for the crit, though.
jimmy10
1,732 IQ
this looked fun so i thought i'd give it a go. it turned out kind of dark so i thought it might work for imprisoned. let me know what you think.
Attachments:
dunno.mid
dunno.gp5
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer
640 IQ
The Nobuo is strong in this one.

I actually really like it, and I think imprisoned is a good idea for it.
Drapte
1,474 IQ
This
Quote by frankibo
It's not about fanboying a version, it's about it being the best version. It's better than 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6, so we all use it. It's the most user friendly and does the job we need it to best.
xbitmetal
289 IQ
Quote by btones
How's this for battle won?

I liked your song very much, but sounds much more like battle lost than victory. I think it serves more like purpose of battle aftermath or something like that.
Ometh
UG Addict
3,913 IQ
What about this as an addition to the soundtrack? Maybe just a snippet of the main theme if it's too long lol. Or maybe it won't fit an RPG at all, oh well lol.
Attachments:
fuckinggroovy.zip
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
amonamarthmetal
1,808 IQ
Bump
Gear:
Schecter KM-6
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
RedDeath9
UG's Nu/Shyguy
3,130 IQ
Quote by amonamarthmetal
Bump

Yeah, right? I've been focusing a lot on video game music recently, so this just popped into my head.

I'd definitely be willing to try to finish this. Let me finish up some studying and then I'll go through the songs, maybe even update the first post!
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Apr 19, 2014,
RedDeath9
UG's Nu/Shyguy
3,130 IQ
Quote by Macabre_Turtle

Yeah, it does sound pretty stormy (or at least like something bad is happening). When things get a little busier though, at around 29, I feel like it needs a bit of cleaning up... Mostly in the drum track. Do we really want that sort of timpani spam? Did you want to change the drum kit to 0, at that point? It'd make a bit more sense. Then you could have some timpani playing on the other track at the same time.

Quote by Cavalcade
Battle Lost. I'd assume this is a sort of "sting" that plays once after you lose?

If it's an RPG, I imagine it as a "game over" screen, and generally, the music that plays during RPG game over screens is a bit more... calm? And melancholic. You could probably just take what you've written and make it cleaner+slower. I'll also be changing the "Battle Lost" title to "Game over."

Quote by jimmy10
this looked fun so i thought i'd give it a go. it turned out kind of dark so i thought it might work for imprisoned. let me know what you think.

It sounds more like a world map theme, or an area theme for a cave or cavern of sorts. It's pretty damn good, can definitely hear the Nobuo in it.

Quote by btones
How's this for battle won?

Pretty bittersweet victory, eh? It sounds more like an aftermath. The victory theme will probably be a little more... blatantly triumphant (though we could go for something like FF7's victory theme).

Quote by Ometh
What about this as an addition to the soundtrack? Maybe just a snippet of the main theme if it's too long lol. Or maybe it won't fit an RPG at all, oh well lol.

Holy shit, YOU wrote this? I've had this on my computer for a long time, but I had no idea who'd written it. Cool. This could definitely fit somewhere, I just... don't know where.

Here's something I've been working on recently:

EDIT: The original version of xenophobic town is fine. **** that other shit. Even though I like it quite a bit.
Attachments:
newbosstheme2.gp5
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Apr 19, 2014,
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer
640 IQ
Quote by RedDeath9
Yeah, it does sound pretty stormy (or at least like something bad is happening). When things get a little busier though, at around 29, I feel like it needs a bit of cleaning up... Mostly in the drum track. Do we really want that sort of timpani spam? Did you want to change the drum kit to 0, at that point? It'd make a bit more sense. Then you could have some timpani playing on the other track at the same time.

I quit liked that sound on the drum kit. Seems more aggressive than proper toms. Does it sound less busy to you if the proper timpani track is muted during that bit?

I may one day make a proper recording of this using actual instruments, and sample libraries for percussion and vst synths and what not, and if I do then I'm gonna be making modifications on the fly to see what sounds best, but other than that I'm done putting work into this, but if this thread ever actually wants to complete and put these midis together as an album I'll make minor changes like your suggesting if the thread thinks it sounds better.
RedDeath9
UG's Nu/Shyguy
3,130 IQ
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
I quit liked that sound on the drum kit. Seems more aggressive than proper toms. Does it sound less busy to you if the proper timpani track is muted during that bit?

I may one day make a proper recording of this using actual instruments, and sample libraries for percussion and vst synths and what not, and if I do then I'm gonna be making modifications on the fly to see what sounds best, but other than that I'm done putting work into this, but if this thread ever actually wants to complete and put these midis together as an album I'll make minor changes like your suggesting if the thread thinks it sounds better.

Yeah, I understand. I've been messing with VSTs recently as well, and as a result it feels a little unnecessary to be putting so much work into something purely for GP5 (though no one says we can't take these tracks and record them properly). However, I wanna finish this for the sake of follow-through. We actually had some good tracks.

Here are two other things I'm working on. One for a snowy place, the other one for a desert temple/ruins type place.
Attachments:
newdoom.gp5
snow.gp5
amonamarthmetal
1,808 IQ
@reddeath, that snow piece was so lovely, was inspiring for me.

@cheesy I really enjoyed this tune. it might add more suspense to add chromatics in.
Gear:
Schecter KM-6
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
RedDeath9
UG's Nu/Shyguy
3,130 IQ
Quote by amonamarthmetal
@reddeath, that snow piece was so lovely, was inspiring for me.

@cheesy I really enjoyed this tune. it might add more suspense to add chromatics in.

Thanks man

I've written a ton of stuff that could work for this, it's all here:

https://soundcloud.com/windsofentropy/

I've applied VSTs to those ones^, but I have the Guitar Pro tracks as well. I also have an updated version of End Boss 3 (Ascension).

I'm pretty free at the moment, and would be willing to work on this. Anyone else?

I think I'll edit Gessu's desert theme myself, and add it to the final soundtrack. Also...

Quote by Ometh
Cats poop from their poop hole.

What the hell is this

Alright, so, with the new tracks I've done, I'll be taking/creating these themes:

Nostalgia Mirage - Dark Forest (new)
Ascension - End Boss 3 (already had this, anyways)
Sunlit Gardens - Forest Area in beginning of game (new - first place you fight enemies as a complete noob)
Wandering the Dream Factory - yet another Dungeon theme (new)
Dust - I'm unsure about this one. What do you guys think? Could it fit as the ending theme, maybe? Or maybe it doesn't fit anything here.
RedDeath9
UG's Nu/Shyguy
3,130 IQ
Okay, change of rules. If it's obvious how the song is going to repeat, then you don't have to make it repeat twice and fade out. I just realized that this was sort of annoying.

Here's the updated version of end boss 3. If you guys think it could be used better for something else, or that there could be something more fitting for end boss 3, please just say so.
Attachments:
Ascension (for UG).zip