Page 2 of 2
christianonbass
878 IQ
That helped a bunch! I mentioned the old combo amp having 130 watts. It was VERY loud. Perhaps they used a different rating method back then. Thank you for mentioning that Peaveys have changed. I am a bit confused about this: Some bassists don't use an amp if they have good PA. Would I get away with low wattage (say 100) if I went through PA? I might be able to swing it if I dig up another 100 bucks. I hope 500 ($US) will get me by if I go used. I have seen (nice condition) Acoustic Combo amps for under that amount. I just want to get playing in front of people again. I even love worship music...you have to wing it a lot! You mentioned Geddy...I AM HOME! Thanks Spaz91! I feel welcomed
Spaz91
RIP Terry
6,280 IQ
With a PA you could manage with a 10w amp! Geddy just used a Sansamp preamp straight into the PA and got a killer tone. A 100w amp will do you for very small gigs (cramped bars and churches) and will probably get you a nice tone into a PA (through DI or course.)

Here's a bonus pic:

Interesting "cabs" he has there.
christianonbass
878 IQ
I've been eyeballing a BA115. It should do for practicing with drums. We used to think that "Miking" was better than direct. I think the conventional wisdom has changed since then! At a large church we were given direct boxes, and going direct seemed to work. I would love to have wireless just to go to the back and listen! Thanks for everything! I haven't even jammed with anyone else since '08, and that was just with fellow step meeting friends. I haven't done "Serious" gigs since the early 90's. That will change! I will find a good 100 or 200 watt combo for now and take it from there. I think it's most important right now to jam with others and get "Tight" again. Even playing easy tunes is good practice compared to playing at home. I don't really build my endurance playing alone!
Spaz91
RIP Terry
6,280 IQ
Just one more thing to remember: a 4x10 cab will be louder than 1x15, almost twice as loud. A 15" speaker only displaces (roughly*) 2.5x as much as 10" speaker. This irritates me as I love 15" speakers and means I'll need more expensive heads.

(*It can vary a lot based on the size of the cone.)
christianonbass
878 IQ
A person close by my place has a couple GK RB400 heads. He will sell separately. They differ slightly. I haven't listened to them yet (claims they work fine) nor do I know when they were made (probably mid 80s? And one a couple years newer, just a guess). I believe they are 400rb , not RB111 or RB IV. Is there a big difference in the generations of GK heads. Is this something you would buy? Use? Use as a boat anchor? I would probably start with 212 cab or 410 if I am lucky. You know the pro's and con's of having separate components so I won't preach to the choir
Spaz91
RIP Terry
6,280 IQ
I'm afraid I really don't know much about Gallien Kreuger; all I know is to avoid the "backline" series.

Sorry I couldn't help.
christianonbass
878 IQ
I believe this is under the "Cheapish rig" category: If you had to (or got to) choose between a single 15 cab or two 12s which would you pick? How about 2 10s vs. one 15?
Spaz91
RIP Terry
6,280 IQ
Two 12" would push more volume so probably those, though I prefer 15" sound. 4x10"s have the highest output while 2x10"s have the lowest.

(The differences depend entirely on the manufacturing.)
christianonbass
878 IQ
I need some advice/info again. I am familiar enough with the Fender Rumble series to know that I am not buying one; but, I see some Fender Bassman amps on occasion (newer ones, not the gigantic 60s models). Some of the combos are within my price range. Are they superior to the Rumble models? Does anyone have experience with Fender Bassman amps? Thank you in advance. I appreciated all of the info I have gotten here!
JustPhil
Not beautiful
197 IQ
Found a terrific bargain in the form of a 500w head for £220.
RedSub BT500H. I was a bit reluctant to buy a no name brand but after a bit of searching it turns out it's a rebranded Ibanez Promethean, I bit the bullet and bought it and I'm quite pleased with it.
The only niggle I can think of is the lack of pre/post-EQ if you DI it. I can't comment on reliability yet since I've only used it for one gig so far, but it sounds excellent through my 1x15 cab.

*edit*
Second gig in, I played it through a Warwick 4x10 and there was a horrible moment where it kept crackling but luckily it was just one of my leads that had died. The sound is quite mid heavy from what I can gather but there's a handy bass boost button with a knob to add a bit more bottom end to it, in conjunction with the EQ it's quite easy to reign it in and get the tone you want from it. The contour setting is complete arse so I don't think I'll bother with that, but overall I can't fault it.
It's not perfect but if you want a cheap head capable of holding its own at a fairly decent sized venue I'd recommend it, I've no reason to doubt that it's a 500w head so far.
Last edited by JustPhil at Feb 15, 2013,
bluewaters999
265 IQ
i was looking into the ampeg micro vr stack over the internet... for people on a budget who gas for the brand & a stack sized rig, this would have been good enough PROVIDED THEY CAME IN 2X12 CONFIGURATION & not 2x10........ has anyone tried out this model here? 2x10 cabs may be ok for bedroom or recording, but can it handle a band situation? i seriously don't think so, but i could be wrong.......
Spaz91
RIP Terry
6,280 IQ
Speaker size matters a lot less in comparison to wattage. Mini rigs like that are designed purely to look good in a bedroom, not be used live. Even with larger speakers, 100w would not be sufficient to compete with a drummer. General rule is 250/300w minimum to play live (which the exception of quieter gigs like a folk band in a small pub, etc.)

I'd never reccomend a 2x12 cab to anyone anyway, that would be a complete bitch to move around.
bluewaters999
265 IQ
Quote by Spaz91
Even with larger speakers, 100w would not be sufficient to compete with a drummer. General rule is 250/300w minimum to play live (which the exception of quieter gigs like a folk band in a small pub, etc.)

i currently use a shitty solid state local made amplifier dubiously rated at 120W that actually is like 70-80W of branded solid state amps...... but i just get the job done at rehearsals with a quite loud drummer, a 50W vox valvetronix & a 30W marshall mg (yeah yeah a shitty setup, don't start, we're on a budget)..... & we're very much into medium/hard rock.... so i do not believe that u need so many watts as a minimum, at least for rehearsals...... but yes for gigging, unless u are mic'd, its another story altogether.......
Last edited by bluewaters999 at May 19, 2013,
Ziphoblat
The Enigma
390 IQ
Quote by Ippon
Thoughts about the Hartke 410XL and 810XL?

I've had one experience with a Hartke 410XL which was provided as backline at a gig I did a few years ago, I was very pleasantly surprised. Sat really nice in a band situation. It was with an Ampeg Portaflex, another piece of gear that I was using for the first time, so I'm not sure which (if not both) was responsible for how pleasant I found the experience, but were it a bad cab I'm sure that wouldn't have been possible.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Ippon
Amped
1,526 IQ
Quote by Spaz91
Okay cab, okay price. Nothing special. I used them all through last year on a course.

An acquaintance offered a minty (his description) 410XL for $150; so, should be worth a shot. Will check it out this weekend. Thanks!

Quote by Ziphoblat
I've had one experience with a Hartke 410XL which was provided as backline at a gig I did a few years ago, I was very pleasantly surprised. Sat really nice in a band situation. It was with an Ampeg Portaflex, another piece of gear that I was using for the first time, so I'm not sure which (if not both) was responsible for how pleasant I found the experience, but were it a bad cab I'm sure that wouldn't have been possible.

That's very nice to know. I'm auditioning the 410XL this weekend with a Traynor YBA200 and a shiny Genz Benz GBE1200. I hope they play more than well together. Thanks!

bluewaters999
265 IQ
guys, this is alien to this thread, but there's something i'd like to get clarified about coz i am having some guys build me a small sized all tube custom bass rig...... i hear 1W (tube) = 3-4W (solid state)..... is this actually true? coz i used to think a watt's a watt, no matter what........
Spaz91
RIP Terry
6,280 IQ
Quote by bluewaters999
guys, this is alien to this thread, but there's something i'd like to get clarified about coz i am having some guys build me a small sized all tube custom bass rig...... i hear 1W (tube) = 3-4W (solid state)..... is this actually true? coz i used to think a watt's a watt, no matter what........

The wattage means how loud it can go without overdriving so a 100w tube guitar amp is great but useless for bass.
bluewaters999
265 IQ
if both the guitarists are running 15w tube amps, how much wattage will i need if i opt for an all tube bass? coz i gave this specification to those people & they told me that a 70W rig with 4x10 is gonna be more than sufficient provided i stay in bars & small clubs....
Last edited by bluewaters999 at May 23, 2013,
RockBassNow
UG Newbie
10 IQ
I'm in love with my Traynor 2x8 300W combo. Sounds great, is really lightweight, and powerful at 300W. I've used it in everything from rehearsals to playing 500 cap venues and have never needed more power. Check that one out for sure!
http://rockbassnow.com @RockBassNow facebook.com/RockBassNow
FatalGear41
War Mastiff!!!
1,381 IQ
I've got a Duncan SMB-4d pickup en route so that I can finally lose that horrid EMG-HZ pickup in my bargain-basement Schecter Devil Custom bass. Once I install it (assuming I don't make a mess of the job), it will qualify as a cheapo that is quite suitable for gigging.

My hatred for EMG-HZ bass pickups knows no bounds. Their sound is beyond merely sterile. It is downright soulless.
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
bluewaters999
265 IQ
How does the Warwick BC300 compare to Laney RB8? both are 300W....

i need suggestions.... nobody is giving me any suggestions..... not many brands are available in my area & i need to get an amp soon..........
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player
1,096 IQ
Quote by Spaz91
Laney are awful, bane of the bassist in rehearsal studios. Warwick are pretty great.

+1
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
wasted-years
302 IQ
Quote by RockBassNow
I'm in love with my Traynor 2x8 300W combo. Sounds great, is really lightweight, and powerful at 300W. I've used it in everything from rehearsals to playing 500 cap venues and have never needed more power. Check that one out for sure!

yea i sport a lil Peavey Max 115 300w and its always been plenty i used to have a create 300w head with a 215 cab and this lil peavey combo blows it out of the water ....... mind you i figuured out the whole pluging strait to the pa after i got the peavey but still in rehearsal it keeps up with two halfstacks and a drummer hell bent on breaking cymbals
americablanco
back to rabbit
424 IQ
Quote by Spaz91
A different company altogether but essentially the American equivalent of Ashdown. The B series caters to all budgets including the aforementioned student/casual budget, this being the B300h, a 300w head and 410 cab (at roughly $350) or a 450w/210 combo at the same price. Both are nearly impossible to find in the UK and Europe as they are Guitar Centre's house brand.)
Just picked up a used B300h and 4x10 cab a few days ago. So far so good, but time will tell. The effects loop is definitely useful and my girlfriend says my playing is a lot less sloppy now (not sure if that's a good thing, lol).

Will submit a review in a few months or so.
Quote by Grundy0
Never forget what really matters in life, friends and family.
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
NosralTserrof
Damned
1,752 IQ
Someone has an Orange Terror Bass + 4x10 cab for $1,100 on Craigslist.

This good for someone who's a sorta guitar vet, and has experience with bass, but would like to try giging as a bassist? For rock/metal haha
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Ziphoblat
The Enigma
390 IQ
The Orange Bass Terrors aren't bad. A few things to note are that they have no pre-amp volume, only gain, and it breaks up fairly early, so some people report issues with getting enough clean headroom, depends how distorted you want to go, and on the wattage of the head you're looking at is (most likely the 500 model). Bear in mind that the cabinet is probably 8 ohms too so you won't get the full juice from the head. The DI is also extremely hot and can often clip an input even with the gain set very low, so you may have to consider an attenuator to get the DI to a usable point.

I've never been particularly enamored by Orange cabs personally (the modern ones at least). They're very heavy, and don't seem particularly efficient, and there's nothing about the sound that makes that a worthwhile sacrifice. I think these days you can do much better for cabs, especially if you hate breaking your back when you carry your stuff around. All that being said, it would definitely be a decent starting point I'd imagine.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Last edited by Ziphoblat at Jul 25, 2013,
FunkyMonkey7812
195 IQ
Hey guys!
I'm in a progressive metalcore band and we're gonna start gigging soon, so I need a bass amp for it.
I'm willing to spend $1,500 (AUS) on the head/cab, maybe more.
I don't need something with a bunch of effects and whatever cause I would rather just use pedals, just something that's loud and sounds good haha.
I'll be playing a Ibanez SR505 through it if that helps with anything.

Thanks in advance!
c3powil
on a coconut estate
4,180 IQ
Just wanted to pop in and vouch for the older Peavey Combo 300 with Black Widow speaker.

They can be had for way cheap on craigslist, ebay, yard sales, etc. I got mine for $150, plenty in range of a small bass amp budget. It's in very good shape, but I hear no matter what shape these things are in they will keep kicking. Made in U.S.A.

Mine is an 1988 model, yet it has a broader EQ than most modern amps (8 band), two inputs (low gain, high gain), and even a bi-amping feature. 300 watts at 2 ohms (with the 4 ohm extension) and 210 watts at 4 ohms. The wattage doesn't seem impressive, but this thing is LOUD, extension cab needed only for added tone shaping. Jamming with my roommate banging on his drums quite heavily meant my volume knob was at 2. It's heavy, but not so much that it's impossible to carry, even up stairs.

The tone on this thing is quite bright. It gets impeccable highs coming from a 15 inch speaker, no horn/tweeter needed. The dude selling this amp had it labeled as a bass/keyboard amp and I can see why. The range on this amp is really only lacking slightly in the low end. That can be fixed easily with an added 15 inch cab or 4x10. My amp also has casters, which could be contributing to the slight loss of low end. I found it hard at first to find a warm tone, but once I learned to use the pre-gain and post-gain knobs in harmony I could get a decent warm-ish tone. The amp may benefit from a Sansamp if you tend to dislike brighter sounding bass amps. I only wish this thing had some digital presets because MAN you can really get a lot of variation from the EQ.

It's covered in tolex, a good thing for a workhorse amp. It has a semi-useable strap on the top, but I think anyone would be better off using a hand-truck. The grill is fabric.

All in all, this is a very good beginner bass amp. Heck, I'd even brand it as a good intermediate, and for the prices they fetch nowadays, they are a steal!

Note that this amp was reviewed based (pun not intended) off of a 90's Ibanez SR300DX. A very basic (another pun) and average bass. It has an active EQ, and the bridge quality is a step up from the modern beginner line.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Last edited by c3powil at Oct 30, 2013,
bloatedcorpse13
average 4 stringer...
147 IQ
Let me know what you think of my rig..
Hartke vx3500 350 watt 4x10" (paper cones)
Ashdown electric blue 180w 1x15"

Playing an Ibanez SRX500 (transparent black)w/ active cut/boost
Sometimes with Ibanez PD7 Phat head pedal (for sustain...)

I got both amps for under $1000 total new. I run the direct signal out of the Hartke, pre EQ. Does anyone see any issues here?