Page 2 of 2
I picked up my first bass when I was 19 and it was all about pop back then mainly Duran Duran and A Flock of Seagulls. When I was bassless for about 10 years my music tastes have changed or been enhanced by 70s rock, metal and hard rock. I still play pop but am leaning more towards the rock side. Mainly Dio and the stuff he did in his career.

But if I were to move from practicer to perfomer it would definitely be rock/metal.
Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, and STEELY DAN!!! All thanks to my father. I also picked up bass because my friends needed some thump in their band. Listening for the bass parts has forever changed the way I hear music, in a good way.
Funk is probably my number one reason to pick up the bass, I just love the way it sounds.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
For me it was David Simms of the Jesus Lizard, Bob Weston of Shellac, and Jean Jaques Burnel of the Stranglers (first 3 albums). Some other bands that really influenced my style and sound were Girls against Boys and Fugazi.
I like to add to a song as if the bass is either an undertone, The heart of a song or a motor. I like basslines like those in Pugwash, Shout Out Louds and XTC songs along with XTC's alter-egos, The Dukes Of Stratosphear. Some parts from old Ventures records also help since they mostly played instrumentals.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Jan 13, 2013,
Anything with a heavy groove. Funk, hip-hop, reggae, etc.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Page 2 of 2