Omni-Virus
30 IQ
Okay so here's the thing guys: I have an EBMM (Ernie Ball Music Man) Axis Supersport Rockstar Version. It is a Basswood body with a Maple neck and a Rosewood fretboard. I wanna put my Tone Zone back into my neck position. This however brings up the problem of getting a Bridge pickup.

First things first it has to come in F-spacing.

I want it to have more output than the Tone Zone, but I also want it to sound thicker than the Tone Zone as well. I find that when the Tone Zone is in the bridge position it sounds slightly brittle and I don't like that at all. I want it to be very chunky and very smooth and have lots of chugga chugga and if it can do artificial harmonics and pinch harmonics easily that would be a plus too.

I have a sound that I'm slightly looking for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg4q-7LvbIE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6JcLyQzjRM

but in relation I want slightly more bassiness/thickness and more smoothness and less of the high-mid and treble. The pickups these guys are using is the Super Distortion. I've heard the Super 3 is good but I've heard the lowered bass on it can make it sound empty. So if you know anything equal to or higher output than a Super Distortion or Super 3 that's thicker and smoother, that'd be what I'm looking for :P

I'd prefer posts that include sound clips or videos of the recommended pickup(s).

Note: Needs to be a Passive Humbucker
Last edited by Omni-Virus at Oct 13, 2012,
steven seagull
not really a seagull
180 IQ
Might want to look at the Breed. Also I know exactly where you're comig from with regards to the Tone Zone sounding "brittle".

Output's largely irrelevant, that's why pickups are height adjustable, pedals exist and amps have knobs
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Omni-Virus
30 IQ
I've found output is important in my amp's case. That's why I'm trying to look for more of it :/
Last edited by Omni-Virus at Oct 13, 2012,
steven seagull
not really a seagull
180 IQ
It probably isn't as important as you think, as long as you can broadly classify a pickup as low, medium or hot it's usually going to do the job as far as output goes regardless of the fine details
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Omni-Virus
30 IQ
I'm using an amp that's very touchy with pickup output. Most people put air nortons in their neck and say it has enough balls. It barely pushed my amp at all. Believe me when I say output is important.
Omni-Virus
30 IQ
It's a Raven RG60. It's a 60-watt 1x12 speaker Solid State. Actually one of the best solid states ever. Sounds better than most tube amps IMO.
steven seagull
not really a seagull
180 IQ
In that case I stand by everything I've already suggested
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Omni-Virus
30 IQ
I'll consider it, but in the case that I actually need a bridge with higher output, then what would you recommend?
Omni-Virus
30 IQ
How about we focus on the actual topic. My amp is fine. There's nothing wrong with it. It sounds nicer than most amps I've played. Focus on the bridge pickup guys.
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
110 IQ
They aren't wasting your time. Its a cheap SS practice amp.

Seriously your pick-up will have about... 10% difference in tone? Probably much less through your amp. Your money would be better spend on a new amp.

With the $$ for the pick-up you could be half way to a used tube amp that would really help you.

Your time would be better spent in the accessories forum looking for a new amp.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at Oct 14, 2012,
Omni-Virus
30 IQ
I've used this amp for gigs, it gets very loud and it sounds better than the low-end tube amps I've played through. The amp is fine. I'm asking about a bridge pickup guys. GAWD. Either answer the question or go away. Seriously.
Last edited by Omni-Virus at Oct 14, 2012,
roshjosh
50 IQ
Quote by Omni-Virus
How about we focus on the actual topic. My amp is fine. There's nothing wrong with it. It sounds nicer than most amps I've played. Focus on the bridge pickup guys.

With all due respect; If your amp was fine, then you wouldn't have an issue with your sound (You already have high-output HBs, which are more than capable of outputting that sort of sound).
Omni-Virus
30 IQ
Finally found the sound I want, but I want it with a bit more bass in my tone. Again, Basswood body. The pickups I currently have are a tone zone in the bridge and a norton in the neck. I want my tone zone back in the neck because I've used it before and I like that tone, but I need a bridge to match to get this tone. The amp does fine at what it does, trust me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG9v0QD7H2A
roshjosh
50 IQ
Quote by Omni-Virus
Finally found the sound I want, but I want it with a bit more bass in my tone. Again, Basswood body. The pickups I currently have are a tone zone in the bridge and a norton in the neck. I want my tone zone back in the neck because I've used it before and I like that tone, but I need a bridge to match to get this tone. The amp does fine at what it does, trust me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG9v0QD7H2A

In that recording, there are actually 2 guitars. That's why it produces that very punchy, but full, tone.

Also, choosing sound clips that feature other instruments (especially studio recordings, like that) are going to seriously affect how we hear the guitar.

Trust me. You won't be able to achieve that tone by changing your pickups. It's no possible. If gain, or punch, was the issue with your sound - then your current pickups are not the problem.

Trust me. Trust me. No matter how much you want to convince yourself that getting new, and cool, pickups is going to solve anything - It just isn't the case.
Omni-Virus
30 IQ
In that case I'd like to know if I should try getting a speaker change, as I like my amp.
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
110 IQ
New amp. Don't waste the money. Your dollars will stretch more used.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
ibanez2011
50 IQ
I had the same problem with my tonezone and I replaced it with a dimarzio Fred. it was a vast improvement, Its not as flat sounding as the tonezone. I would look into getting one of those.....
“More metal than your gran’s left hip.” - Paul Allender on his PRS signature guitar
red.guitar
Imagine All The People
160 IQ
Reading all your posts this morning, made my Monday a whole lot better!

Anyways, I know you probably don't want to hear it... but, the only real solution to your predicament is to upgrade your amp.

I know you probably think the thing sounds great now, but in all honesty, it's probably because you haven't fully developed your ears to picking up the fine points of a guitars/amps tone yet.

When I first got my peavey rage 8 years ago, I thought it was the best thing on the go. But once I started playing more, and experimenting with different equipment, I soon realized how bad the thing actually sounded (compared to a nice tube amp!).

But if you’re happy with your tone, that’s completely fine. Just STOP posting topics on this forum, and then bad mouthing everyone that offers you help or an opinion. The whole purpose of this forum is for us to help each other! If you don't want help, then stay away!
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
02' Dean TC Z

Amps:
EVH 5150iii
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
Peavey VTM 60
Peavey XXX
66' Bassman
BreeBreeMiikey
80 IQ
High output tube amps are the way to go. But if you don't want the tone zone, send it my way lol.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
Omni-Virus
30 IQ
Okay so after all of this time my amp has started dying. I'm planning on getting a Peavey Bandit 112 (hopefully the red striped version). I still wanna get my Tone Zone back into my neck, so I'd like to hear from someone a good bridge to compliment it.
Omni-Virus
30 IQ
Note: I also like using the middle position a lot (bridge and neck in series) to add a little bit of top end, so I'd like to make sure the bridge isn't too thin of a sound. I'm not sure how much the output would affect it but as I said I'm open for ideas.
Omni-Virus
30 IQ
Also I've tried the Crunch Lab in the bridge previously and it was really thin, so anything beefier or darker than that would be what I'd be looking for.
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
270 IQ
Spend as much as you possibly can on the amp and worry about getting a new pickup later. I think a Peavey Bandit is pretty lacking myself.

I can't offer an opinion on a pickup to compliment the Tone Zone in the neck as I've never heard or looked into that. Sorry.
Omni-Virus
30 IQ
I've never heard a single person complain about a peavey bandit 112. What version was it?
Omni-Virus
30 IQ
Never mind. I've been listening to some videos of the Super 3 online. While the videos are pretty shitty quality I could hear a really saggy low-end thump that I like.
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
270 IQ
Quote by Omni-Virus
I've never heard a single person complain about a peavey bandit 112.

You just heard me complain about it. I think there are better amps in the same price range, but even then, if you pay a bit more you get even better amps. A used Vypyr Tube can be found for $300 around here, sometimes with a Sanpera pedal.
Kyleisthename
100 IQ
Dude, have you ever tried thicker strings or boosting the bass and mids on your amp?
Both maybe
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
steven seagull
not really a seagull
180 IQ
Quote by Omni-Virus
I've never heard a single person complain about a peavey bandit 112. What version was it?

I've never heard a single person say anything particularly good about them

They're reliable and built like tanks, the clean channel on mine was great as was the reverb but as far as distortion went it just wasn't there at all and got very boxy if you cranked the volume.

Solid, but decidedly unspectacular amps. Great as a backup amp but not what you should be looking at as a main amp given the tones you're looking for.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

J_W
10 IQ
Do not get a Bandit. I hated mine, the distortion sucks. It's just another run of the mill SS amp. By getting one, you would not be upgrading.