Anthoje
82 IQ
Hi,

For now, I play a Carvin V3M through a Fender FM212R combo (modified for speakers only input). I am looking for a new cab, with better speakers and more volume dispersion & loudness for band rehearsals.

I have narrowed it down to these two and would like your advice on those:

2008 Legacy C412T, mounted with 4 Celestion V30 = 500$
http://sherbrooke.kijiji.ca/c-acheter-et-vendre-instruments-de-musique-amplificateurs-pedales-Carvin-Legacy-Cabinet-amplificateur-4x12-Steve-Vai-Excellent-W0QQAdIdZ353600856

Early 90's V412, mounted with original Made in US British series (similar to Celestion's G12T-75) = 360$
http://sherbrooke.kijiji.ca/c-acheter-et-vendre-instruments-de-musique-amplificateurs-pedales-Cabinet-de-guitare-electrique-Carvin-4x12-400-watts-W0QQAdIdZ416153756

I plan on keeping this cab for a long time. I play in a cover band for different occasions and audience (classic rock, punk, pop, metal, progressive rock), so versatility here is the key, since I use many guitars (jazzmaster, John Petrucci signature, Les Paul, a 7 string, an old hollow body with P90s) and style of effects (fuzz, whammy, flanger, wah, vocoder, chorus, etc.).

Taking them as equivalent cabs in loudness, build quality and speaker value, I would like to know:
1. Does the 140$ difference justifies the 20 years speaker wear on the V412? Do 20 years old speakers still have some life ahead of them?
2. Do you have any positive/negative experience combining those two types of speakers to this amp?
3. I tend to go for the newer V412 since it will last longer, but I heard V30's are not meant to be played with drive channels driven by EL84. Thoughts on that? I also hear the original british series are one of the best stock speakers out there.

Other comments:
We sometimes play gigs with no PA for our amps.
Look is not one of my concern, quality and durability is.

Thanks for your time!
AGEGBand
Guitar / Bass / Keyboard / Back Vocals

Sterling JP50, Fender CP Jazzmaster, Danelectro Danoblaster 12 strings, Aria 5102T, Epiphone LP STD 7 string => Carvin V3M

Peavey Cirrus BXP-5 => Trace Elliot GP7SM250

Korg X50
311ZOSOVHJH
G G A - B A B Y
7,171 IQ
Sounds like you are set on getting a matching Carvin cab is that correct?

I've never heard of Vintage 30's not matching well to EL84s so bump on that.

I personally would go for the Vintage 30s but that is a great price on the other one I just don't have any experience with the T-75s.

Speakers are like whiskey - they get better with age, but I'm not sure if there is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to age.

You really need someone like gumbilicious in here so free bump.
Anthoje
82 IQ
I bought the V412 with the 4x British series.
Reason: cheaper, casters already installed, more friendly guy

/Thread
AGEGBand
Guitar / Bass / Keyboard / Back Vocals

Sterling JP50, Fender CP Jazzmaster, Danelectro Danoblaster 12 strings, Aria 5102T, Epiphone LP STD 7 string => Carvin V3M

Peavey Cirrus BXP-5 => Trace Elliot GP7SM250

Korg X50