Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade my cab. I'm fed up with my Jet City 2x12 and I want something that is suited more to what I play. I would like something with V30's, K100's, G12T-75's, or Wizards in it, but I'm honestly fine with anything that will give me a better sound than what I'm getting. My problem with the JCA24S is that the speakers lack clarity, have very little upper-mid response, and the high-end is underwhelming. I like the lower-mid and bass response, more or less, but with no upper mids and the lack of clarity, it's really hard to get any kind of midrange grind or bite. I would be fine with a 2x12 or 4x12, but I'm on a super-limited budget for now. A 4x12 will probably be easier to find. I would gladly go with any cab that will give me good upper-mid response, good bass response, decent lower-mids, and decent high's. I realize I'm not going to get anything gold here. I just need some kind of improvement over this thing.

Budget: $150 - $250, absolutely no more than $300 for sure

New/Used: Used

Genres: Metal, specifically Groove/Thrash metal. Things along the lines of Lamb of God, Machine Head, Lazarus A.D., Children of Bodom, Hatebreed, etc.

Home/Gig: Both

Location: Athens, Ohio; Marietta, Ohio; Parkersburg, West Virginia

Current Gear: In my sig.

Thanks for the help guys. Again, I know my budget is going to be a huge limit here, but it's really the best I can probably do for a good while.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I plan on selling my JCA cab to fund this if I can find anything worthwhile.
Last edited by Blktiger0 at Oct 19, 2012,
I don't know how craigslist works with the regions and all that jazz, but you should be able to find something, I guess.
Quote by I K0nijn I
I don't know how craigslist works with the regions and all that jazz, but you should be able to find something, I guess.

I was looking more for advice on what to go for. I know Crate Blue Voodoo cabs with blue tolex would be an option, and maybe a Line 6 Spider Valve cab if I'm lucky, but those are the only ones I know what have good Celestions in them. I would be fine with buying a cab with more generic speakers as well, as long as it gives me some kind of upgrade over what I have. Even if the quality is about the same, I need a differet-voiced speaker.

TL;DR: I'm hoping maybe someone knows of a cab of similar quality that would have speakers voiced more to my liking.
go to thw WGS speakers site and order a veteran 30 (V30 clone)and a ET65 (g12-65 clone). They are $70ish each and load then in your cab . You will have a good constructed cab and some very good speakers in it. It will be the cheapest route for you to take.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
go to thw WGS speakers site and order a veteran 30 (V30 clone)and a ET65 (g12-65 clone). They are $70ish each and load then in your cab . You will have a good constructed cab and some very good speakers in it. It will be the cheapest route for you to take.

I guess I should have mentioned, most of the funding for this would be from selling the JCA cab
you can get marshall 1960 cabs for $250 used at GC online.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Honestly carvin is probably your best option. A used legacy or v3 cab would be ideal, a lot of those have v30s in them, but really their house brand speakers aren't bad at all. Be careful, some of the older cabs are loaded with m70s, they are very shrill, I just put my Texas heats into my carvin cab because the m70s were awful at high volumes.

Besides that, look at guitar centers used site for some good deals, they should have something decent for around that price
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I looked all through their online a few hours ago, and the only Marshall cabs were either MG, AVT, or VS cabs. I'm not well versed in Marshall cabs, but none of those are worth it, are they?
Quote by Blktiger0
I looked all through their online a few hours ago, and the only Marshall cabs were either MG, AVT, or VS cabs. I'm not well versed in Marshall cabs, but none of those are worth it, are they?

I just went on and found a Marshall 1960a cab for $299
put Marshall 1960a in the search bar in the used section and limit the amount to $300
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
No all shitty and more or less the same cab. Definitely eBay carvin, there is usually something by them on the cheap there.

Edit: or grab the one rob found
I plan on heading to a few local shops today with my gear and seeing what they have available. I figure if I find anything within my price range, I'll just try it out and if any of it sounds good, I'll take it home. I'm hoping to get lucky and find one of the old BV cabs, but I'm not gonna get my hopes too high. Even if they have one, they'll probably want more than I want to pay for it. Any clue if something like a 6505, 5150, XXX, or similar cab would be worth a damn?
Probably not a big improvement, you'll be trading one complaint for another. If they have a 1960, try it. Then you can buy the used one.
Quote by Robbgnarly
I just went on and found a Marshall 1960a cab for $299
put Marshall 1960a in the search bar in the used section and limit the amount to $300

I must have missed it, then. I'll look it up. I was having issues with most of their links being dead earlier. It's really annoying that they update that it's not available, but the damn link is still on there.
Peavey cabs have hatem or lovem type of speakers. The build quality is top notch, but there speakers are pretty meh unless you can find one loaded with Black widows.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Don't forget the 1936cabs, also avatar, black star artisan cabs (v30's), some Randall cabs (some have v30's), krank cabs for something a little different, laney,
"evil esteban"
if this thing melts again i'm takin' it to bugera headquarters, puttin' a bag of fecal matter on it, ringin' the doorbell and flippin the switch from "standby" to "on", and running.

"tubetime86"
This wasnt even a cool story... Bro.
This is what I found on GC used:
Marshall
BV 1
BV 2
BV 3
BV 4
BV 5
Carvin 1
Carvin 2
Carvin 3

My main issue here is, are these the cab's I'm looking for? I really like that second Carvin cab, in terms of price and the shape it appears to be in, in addition to the first BV cab. Are these the correct models?
The Carvin or the marshall would be fine.
Just remember that not all of the Blue BV cabs are loaded with V30's they only did that for a little while, just like Crate did with the first run of Palimino 2x12 cabs were loaded with Tone Tubbies speakers but the latter ones had cheap Crate speakers in them.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The second carvin looks like one of the ones with m70s steer clear. The third, however, is a v3 cab, which should have v30s. The Marshall obviously is fine, I don't know enough about blue voodoo cabs to really say anything about them
Quote by Robbgnarly
The Carvin or the marshall would be fine.
Just remember that not all of the Blue BV cabs are loaded with V30's they only did that for a little while, just like Crate did with the first run of Palimino 2x12 cabs were loaded with Tone Tubbies speakers but the latter ones had cheap Crate speakers in them.

I thought the way to tell with the Crates was if it had Blue Tolex? Are there blue ones that don't have the V30's then? I thought I read somewhere that the black ones were when they switched speakers. I really don't know, though. Is there any way to tell short of opening the cab?

That second Carvin has V30's then? I can't find that damn model anywhere.
Im not sure if the carvin has celestions V30 or another type.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
No the third one with the black cloth cover should have v30s. Even if it has carvins speakers, they sound pretty good. The other too are good cabs, but the second one you listed is named wrong, the is just a c412, and depending on the year it will have celestion m70s, which sound like ass. Very shrill and no bottom end whatsoever.
Quote by dementiacaptain
The second carvin looks like one of the ones with m70s steer clear. The third, however, is a v3 cab, which should have v30s. The Marshall obviously is fine, I don't know enough about blue voodoo cabs to really say anything about them

I'll probably just go ahead and order the third Carvin this morning then, unless I find something else. You're sure that it's a v3?
Yeah, it has the right corners and if you look close you'll see the carvin logo in the bottom corner, that's a v3
Quote by dementiacaptain
No the third one with the black cloth cover should have v30s. Even if it has carvins speakers, they sound pretty good. The other too are good cabs, but the second one you listed is named wrong, the is just a c412, and depending on the year it will have celestion m70s, which sound like ass. Very shrill and no bottom end whatsoever.

I think the cover on it is metal as well, but with little circles or ovals cut out instead of diamonds. Does that make a difference? What will that second cab have other than M70's, if it's not the right year for those? What's the difference between the first and second Carvin cabs?

Sorry for the 20 questions, just trying to figure this out

EDIT: Googled the v3 cab, and it has the same grill cloth/metal thing going on with the circles.
Last edited by Blktiger0 at Oct 19, 2012,
Yeah I just looked and realized that it had the metal, thats fine, I forgot the v3s had the metal on it. That is definitely a V3 cab. If the other cab doesn't have M70s, it will most likely have carvin house brand speakers, but in that case I would still go with the V3 cab, if nothing else because it looks better and has the potential to have better speakers. As far as the difference between the first and second, the first one is an x100b cab as far as I know, again it will have carvins stock speakers. The logo on that one looks silly to me, which I know is a bad reason for not getting something, but when you can get the V3 cab for that price and it looks better, why not?

Edit: Let me check up on the second one a little more, I still think the V3 is probably the better deal, but I am curious. it may not be what I thought it was

Edit: I really think it will have the m70s, I wouldn't bother with it. again, the V3 may not have V30s, but if it doesn't it will still have carvin's speakers, which if I remember correctly are very V30ish.
Last edited by dementiacaptain at Oct 19, 2012,
Quote by dementiacaptain
Yeah I just looked and realized that it had the metal, thats fine, I forgot the v3s had the metal on it. That is definitely a V3 cab. If the other cab doesn't have M70s, it will most likely have carvin house brand speakers, but in that case I would still go with the V3 cab, if nothing else because it looks better and has the potential to have better speakers. As far as the difference between the first and second, the first one is an x100b cab as far as I know, again it will have carvins stock speakers. The logo on that one looks silly to me, which I know is a bad reason for not getting something, but when you can get the V3 cab for that price and it looks better, why not?

Edit: Let me check up on the second one a little more, I still think the V3 is probably the better deal, but I am curious. it may not be what I thought it was

Edit: I really think it will have the m70s, I wouldn't bother with it. again, the V3 may not have V30s, but if it doesn't it will still have carvin's speakers, which if I remember correctly are very V30ish.

Honestly, I'll probably pop the logo off anyway. I'm gonna go for the V3 and if I can't get it, I'll get the first one. If neither of those, I'll see about getting the Marshall.
if you like the bass and lower mids, i dunno if those celestions are going to do that (maybe the g12k, i haven't tried that one). g12t75 has a fair bit of bass but is pretty scooped in the mids. v30 is upper mids and rolled back bass (and treble). wizard (assuming it's like a g12h30) will be flatter in the mids (but still what mids there are are probably upper mids).

problem with wanting a cheap used cab is it's going to be loaded, odds are, with usual suspects speakers. probably v30s or g12t75s.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

In another thread I did, it basically came to the conclusion that a G12K-100 and V30 in an X pattern is the way I should go. I'm considering at this point that I might sell some extra shit I have laying around and just order something from White Box. Then I can get exactly the speakers I want with exactly the look I want in a 4x12 and have my 2x12 as an extra that I could mod later, should I want to. Not to mention, I could probably sell enough shit to get the wireless unit I've been eyeing too.

We'll see. At least if I decide to pick up a cheaper cab, I know what to look for. I'm probably going to start looking around more often on the local craigslist and in local shops and see if any gems pop up.
no worries

let us know what you end up going for
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

I really want to try K100s, I am so attached to my texas heats I can't imagine liking anything better, but it seems like they would be awesome to keep around just for some brutal stuff.