i'm looking to get a victor wooten style tone out of my bass rig, i have an ampeg b-2 head and an ampeg svt-en 4-10 cabinet, i'll post pictures if needed also i'm running it into my ibanez iceman bass

thanks ug users
Having a EMG PAX/JVX set and Micheal Pope Flexcore preamp can help.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by dark Mass
Having a EMG PAX/JVX set and Micheal Pope Flexcore preamp can help.

I think his sig models just have regular EMG P/J's. I could be wrong though. The light gauge nickel strings are definitely part of the equation.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
I think his sig models just have regular EMG P/J's. I could be wrong though. The light gauge nickel strings are definitely part of the equation.

He switched to the PAX/JVX setup a while back saying that the PAX/JVX better matched the Micheal Pope Flexcore preamp.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Last edited by dark Mass at Oct 23, 2012,
Being Victor Wooten would also help, you would be surprised just how much of your tone comes from your technique.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
Being Victor Wooten would also help, you would be surprised just how much of your tone comes from your technique.

Yeap, always the first thing to check. I've seen videos of him playing all sorts of different basses through different rigs and he always sounds like Victor Wooten.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Quote by birds of fire
i have good technique, i was thinking more along the lines of his eq settings

It has nothing to do with "good" technique. I have good technique too but I tend to sound more like Billy Sheehan than I do Victor Wooten. It's about having the right technique.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Quote by birds of fire
i have good technique, i was thinking more along the lines of his eq settings

When I saw him a year or two ago and got to walk on stage to see his rig, he was pretty much straight into his hartke amp which had flat eq with just a slight treble cut. Seriously, 90% of his sound comes from the pickup/preamp combination and his fingers.

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
Quote by ozzyismetal
When I saw him a year or two ago and got to walk on stage to see his rig, he was pretty much straight into his hartke amp which had flat eq with just a slight treble cut. Seriously, 90% of his sound comes from the pickup/preamp combination and his fingers.

Preamp. Yep.

The only thing that will save you when you do not have much on the instrument.

I use the Preamp and Shaping section on my amp, no EQ. I like to run the power flat out. But I wrote of that already and got thrown off a site for asking $200 for my expereience.

No that was the little girl with the pretty butterfly on here bass who said wood does not effect tone.
i have some cash at the moment and i've been looking to upgrade my pickups, i'm going to check out emg's website