StylingPaT
178 IQ
I've been learning from Hendrix for the past couple years, got about 8-10 more songs I'm gunna go through with him. Then after him I want to change up to all rhythm playing. What would be some great non-genre rhythm bands to learn from. I can come up with some ideas if I was gunna pick a certain genre. But anyone got anything solid that would just be general great rhythm playing?
Bob Dolan :D
163 IQ
Not very sure what your music tastes are, but the Red Hot Chili Peppers's ex-guitarist John Frusciante was a pretty amazing rhythm player, and before him the albums with Hillel Slovak had some cool beats.
If youre into funk that is

If you like Metal, the rhythm parts in Megadeth (Holy wars, to be more exact) still screw me over.
lolprobot123
29 IQ
If you like metal, anything by trivium would help, if not, try foo fighters or queens of the Stone Age
jhymadesh
230 IQ
Well, if you're into blues. Then you could check out Slash, he has tight power chord riffs which you need some tight rhythm for.
omidmash
Tab Contributor
1,076 IQ
this will get your SENSE of rhythm better: goes all way 5/8 10/4 9/8 and 7/8 i think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMFuhrmHhWE
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Sickz
Jazz Musician
1,594 IQ
Well i have a few suggestions that you might want to check out, i'll sort them by genre though so it will be easier to go through.

Funk/Funk rock: Red hot chili peppers (anything from the first album up until Mothers milk.) Extreme, Tower of power, Defunkt ,James Brown, maybe even some rage against the machine (more groovy hard rock, but still)

Progressive rock & metal: Dream Theater, Circus Maximus, Seventh Wonder, Pagan's mind, Periphery, Animals as leaders, Meshuggah, Tesseract, Vildhjarta, Monuments, Symphony X, Anubis Gate, Emerson lake and palmer, Genesis, Gentle Giant, Yes, Rush and Tool. Many odd time signatures here.

80's disco music: Gloria Gaynor, Kool & The Gang, KC & The Sunshine Band, The Trammps, Chic, Van McCoy.

Other than that, Protest the Hero is a metal band thats good aswell.

You might want to start looking at jazz guitar aswell, playing rhythm (mostly chords) and melody aswell. Look into Joe Pass, Django Reinhardt, Wes Montgomery, George Benson, Andreas Öberg, Charlie Hunter and so on!

I hope atleast one of these suggestions helped you. Good luck and keep practicing!
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
steven seagull
not really a seagull
1,064 IQ
Eddie Van Halen's rhythm chops are often overlooked but he's a monster, Steve Cropper played loads of famous songs, Andy Summers uses some interesting voicings in The Police,

also try playing the riff to Give Me the Night by George Benson
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
StrykVladzimsky
ESP through Potato
2,585 IQ
Sylosis anyone?
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

KailM
5,120 IQ
What exactly is "non genre" music?

Anyway, I grew up listening to the big 4 thrash bands (Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, and Anthrax). Those bands alone will teach you a thing or two about fast rhythm playing.

If those are too old for you, listen to Lamb of God, the Black Dahlia Murder, and As I Lay Dying, just to name a few.

There are other bands that get into more complex rhythms but many of them fail to deliver a nice 'groove' that is so important to grab the listener's attention. If 'complex' is what you're after, look at other bands, in other words. If tight, ferocious riffing is your aim, look at the bands I listed.
Caaarrl94
3,004 IQ
Quote by Bob Dolan
Not very sure what your music tastes are, but the Red Hot Chili Peppers's ex-guitarist John Frusciante was a pretty amazing rhythm player, and before him the albums with Hillel Slovak had some cool beats.
If youre into funk that is

Agreed.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared
281 IQ
Quote by steven seagull
Eddie Van Halen's rhythm chops are often overlooked but he's a monster...

This. This.This.

Ignore the solos.... you can learn a ton about being a rhythm player from this guy...an absolute ton.
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Geldin
1,677 IQ
Quote by 91RG350
This. This.This.

Ignore the solos.... you can learn a ton about being a rhythm player from this guy...an absolute ton.

Like why you don't play drunk.
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared
281 IQ
Quote by Geldin
Like why you don't play drunk.

The guy is a guitar god...and hes currently clean for the first time in his adult life. Show some frickin respect, man.
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
afrika18
afrika18
2,111 IQ
Dan DeLeo of Stone Temple Pilots is imho, one of the Great rythym players. Also, the Lord of Guitar: Alex Lifeson of Rush. If you are into metal, James Hetfield.
Geldin
1,677 IQ
Quote by 91RG350
The guy is a guitar god...and hes currently clean for the first time in his adult life. Show some frickin respect, man.

I respect him for getting sober, but as far as his guitar work goes, his rhythm playing only sounds complex because when he was all kinds of slammed when he was recording their classic albums and couldn't keep consistent rhythms going. Not exactly a high standard to shoot for.
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared
281 IQ
Quote by Geldin
I respect him for getting sober, but as far as his guitar work goes, his rhythm playing only sounds complex because when he was all kinds of slammed when he was recording their classic albums and couldn't keep consistent rhythms going. Not exactly a high standard to shoot for.

Thats an emotively worded generalization, and misleading to TS. Hit the internet and see how highly regarded EVH's rhythm playing is among the very best guitarists in the world.
Quote by AlanHB
Geldin
1,677 IQ
Quote by 91RG350
Thats an emotively worded generalization, and misleading to TS. Hit the internet and see how highly regarded EVH's rhythm playing is among the very best guitarists in the world.

I'm not gonna argue this one any further. I'm standing by what I said.

You want interesting rhythms that can be done without tuning down, try out funk music. Besides being stupidly fun, it's a lot of help to understanding syncopation. And Al Di Meola.
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared
281 IQ
Quote by Geldin
I'm not gonna argue this one any further. I'm standing by what I said.

You want interesting rhythms that can be done without tuning down, try out funk music. Besides being stupidly fun, it's a lot of help to understanding syncopation. And Al Di Meola.

Yeah I've been a bit whatevs myself.... but I cant resist asking if you're also calling EVH a drop-D chugger..?
Quote by AlanHB
Geldin
1,677 IQ
Quote by 91RG350
Yeah I've been a bit whatevs myself.... but I cant resist asking if you're also calling EVH a drop-D chugger..?

That'd be kind of silly. The dude uses drop D tuning, but he doesn't really chug on that low string.
WholeLottaIzzy
UGs Only Rhythm Guitarist
6,023 IQ
I always thought Hendrix's rhythm was much better than his lead anyway...

Seeing as you mentioned Hendrix only, I'm going to assume you're into blues and classic rock.

Izzy Stradlin. Rhythm guitarist of Guns n Roses. Amazing guitarist. Try Nightrain, You Could Be Mine or Dust n Bones for what I consider some of his best rhythm work.

Rolling Stones. A thread dedicated to rhythm and not one mention of Keith Richards? Try Brown Sugar, Honkey Tonk Woman and Start Me Up.

Red Hot Chilli Peppers. Frusciante is very similar to Hendrix I think. Great guitarist. Try Under The Bridge, Can't Stop.

The Cult. Billy Duffy is a simple but awesome rhythm guitarist. Fire Woman, Lil Devil, Love Removal Machine.

Led Zeppelin. Cuz it's freakin' Jimmy Page. Communication Breakdown, Good Times, Bad Times, Kashmir.

AC/DC. Malcolm Young is a great example of what you can do with the same four chords.

Hope that helped.
Last edited by WholeLottaIzzy at Nov 2, 2012,
tuxs
25 IQ
Rhythm = "Dobbie Bros", Long Train Runnin, Listen to the music, etc > Cheers.
jamiey1
230 IQ
Great songs for the rhythm playing can be found on Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction. Izzy Stradlin is an amazing rhythm guitarist and his rhythm playing compliments Slash's lead very well. The 2 best from the album are probably Nightrain and Welcome To The Jungle.
My Last Words
Billions and billions!
2,209 IQ
Quote by Bob Dolan

If you like Metal, the rhythm parts in Megadeth (Holy wars, to be more exact) still screw me over.

A|-5h7-----10p7----------5h7-----5h7------7-8-|
E|-----000------00000000-----000-----0000-5-6-|

This... part.. comes.. from.. hell..
I can only play that when my right hand is like overheating.
baab
Spreadsheet
204 IQ
Look into some Aussie Pub Rockers for good rhythm. AC/DC, The Angels (in the US they were Angel City or something like that), The Screaming Jets, INXS, Midnight Oil, Australian Crawl, The Living End and Rose Tattoo.

They're great to play along with, simple enough and if it's good enough for an Aussie pub, it's good enough anywhere.
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared
281 IQ
Quote by Geldin
That'd be kind of silly. The dude uses drop D tuning, but he doesn't really chug on that low string.

Oh cool I didnt know that. What songs?
Quote by AlanHB
Boz0r
682 IQ
Quote by 91RG350
Oh cool I didnt know that. What songs?

Check out Dirty Movies, Sinner's Swing, Unchained, Secrets, Little guitars, Drop Dead legs, 5150, Can't Get This Stuff No More. Probably more.
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared
281 IQ
Quote by Boz0r
Check out Dirty Movies, Sinner's Swing, Unchained, Secrets, Little guitars, Drop Dead legs, 5150, Can't Get This Stuff No More. Probably more.

2 out of 8 in drop D

Say hi to Geldin for me

I wont be posting on this thread again.
Quote by AlanHB
Boz0r
682 IQ
Quote by 91RG350
2 out of 8 in drop D

Say hi to Geldin for me

I wont be posting on this thread again.

I'm pretty sure at least half of them are in drop D, the rest are just awesome.