Notes that are either a minor second or major second above or below the principal note. They're a melodic decoration that don't really affect anything harmonically. So let's say you have a C major chord and you play C-D-C or C-Db-C over it, that D/Db would be a neighbour tone.

Basically they're exactly what the name implies: notes neighbouring another note.

Again, read this article, it's in there:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonchord_tone
lol dude you don't need to make a new thread for every kind of tone by tone classification.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I apologize I don't do it purposely. I only make threads on subjects that I don't quite confidently understand and I just happen to be studying this type of material at the moment. I always like getting some clarification on concepts just to make sure that I don't have the wrong idea. Since I got my answer though its back to practice.
I understand that. But a lot of your questions are about very small details that can be covered in a single response, so feel free to just get all those questions out of the way in one place.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Just to add, typically when you're using them as passing tones you're using the lower chromatic and higher diatonic notes.

i.e. in C major: C# <-> D <-> E
Ibanez RGD2127Z w/ BKP Aftermaths
Seagull Entourage Rustic
Peavey 6505 212
Dunlop ZW-45 Crybaby
^ that's not a neighboring tone.

(or as they should be called, auxiliary notes, damn americans)
I did say "when used as passing tones"

Also. I'm very happy to be Canadian and not American lol
Ibanez RGD2127Z w/ BKP Aftermaths
Seagull Entourage Rustic
Peavey 6505 212
Dunlop ZW-45 Crybaby
Griff and Zach
fags all around

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana