amonamarthmetal
120 IQ
I'm not a fan of constant time sig changes, i feel people do it clever. at some points they don't work and don't sound finished. other points of the song they worked well, however. its a great song with some unique parts in it. i don't really wanna listen to the whole thing cause im at bar 200 and theres another 170 to go.
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
EpiExplorer
.Daerht ruoy desolc I
1,830 IQ
The time sig changes aren't that bad, its mostly just little add ons of 9/8 or overly complicated forms of 6/4 when you figure out the patterns. The main problem is that its very melodically straight forward. Not much I would call 'progressive' here, just sounds like some sandwiched Periphery worship between layers of perhaps too many riffs. Bar 80-83 sounded good, but aside from that, the same key + random inserts of dissonant chords wore thin, and it became a jumbled mess from 117 onwards, with even more riffs filling up space. Then it goes on for like, an extra 250 bars:

o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
kmamcconnell
20 IQ
I appreciate the crit. But I will say one thing. I have no clue what Periphery sound like.
EpiExplorer
.Daerht ruoy desolc I
1,830 IQ
Quote by kmamcconnell
I appreciate the crit. But I will say one thing. I have no clue what Periphery sound like.

Pretty much what you wrote but in the space of 3-4 minutes with shitty vocals. (I'd listen to your stuff any day, btw, its just this song is too much)
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
BloodReverence
70 IQ
Doesn't sound even remotely close to Periphery. If anything, it sounds closer to Between the Buried and Me. Even so, it's a good song man but it's too long for me to listen to it in GP, if it was recorded then I'd be able to do it.
frankibo
UG Board King
1,386 IQ
Quote by BloodReverence
Doesn't sound even remotely close to Periphery. If anything, it sounds closer to Between the Buried and Me. Even so, it's a good song man but it's too long for me to listen to it in GP, if it was recorded then I'd be able to do it.

Agreed, nothing like Periphery, very much like BTBAM. Some of the shit people come out with on this forum really ****ing gets on my nerves.

On to the song, I absolutely loved it.
Anyone saying those time sigs don't work is play wrong, they were fantastic and flowed very well.
My songs are all located here .
Feel free to drop by and crit a song.
Leave a link and I'll return a crit

Colossus
Ometh
UG Addict
401 IQ
Quote by frankibo
Agreed, nothing like Periphery, very much like BTBAM. Some of the shit people come out with on this forum really ****ing gets on my nerves.

I'm sorry m8, but I have to agree that Periphery is dah ghey
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
amonamarthmetal
120 IQ
Quote by frankibo
Some of the shit people come out with on this forum really ****ing gets on my nerves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yLFYJrirzQ
Gear:
Schecter KM-6
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
EpiExplorer
.Daerht ruoy desolc I
1,830 IQ
Quote by frankibo

o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
frankibo
UG Board King
1,386 IQ
I'm glad you all see this forum as an opportunity to troll and annoy other people rather than a place to share and critique each others music.

Colossus
EpiExplorer
.Daerht ruoy desolc I
1,830 IQ
Quote by frankibo
I'm glad you all see this forum as an opportunity to troll and annoy other people rather than a place to share and critique each others music.

We genuinely do that, if infrequently, but your butthurt is precious and must be appreciated.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
frankibo
UG Board King
1,386 IQ
Quote by EpiExplorer
We genuinely do that, if infrequently, but your butthurt is precious and must be appreciated.

'sandwiched Periphery worship' is not a critique in any circumstance, especially when the song doesn't even sound like Periphery or seem influenced by them (which is confirmed seeing as OP hasn't even listened to Periphery before).

It's nice to see you acknowledge yourself as a troll though.

Colossus
EpiExplorer
.Daerht ruoy desolc I
1,830 IQ
Quote by frankibo
'sandwiched Periphery worship' is not a critique in any circumstance, especially when the song doesn't even sound like Periphery or seem influenced by them (which is confirmed seeing as OP hasn't even listened to Periphery before).

It's nice to see you acknowledge yourself as a troll though.

Actually, I'd barely even call this a troll, more of an elaborate grief session.

Still, I said 'Sounds like periphery' or whatever, because if string theory is going to follow through, there are an awful lot of riffs that sound like Misha Mansoors guitar playing style, especially from the second album. Sure, the overly long, fill-out-the-time style of song structure is a BTBAM trait, but I kept being reminded of that awful listening session I had to sit through of 'Periphery 2' from the riffs and melodies.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
amonamarthmetal
120 IQ
Frankibo its not like you're helping the situation by posting a rebuttal.
Gear:
Schecter KM-6
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Ometh
UG Addict
401 IQ
Quote by EpiExplorer

I bursted out laughing IRL. Now you're just being mean
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Erra93
erriuyai
284 IQ
Quote by EpiExplorer
Actually, I'd barely even call this a troll, more of an elaborate grief session.

Still, I said 'Sounds like periphery' or whatever, because if string theory is going to follow through, there are an awful lot of riffs that sound like Misha Mansoors guitar playing style, especially from the second album. Sure, the overly long, fill-out-the-time style of song structure is a BTBAM trait, but I kept being reminded of that awful listening session I had to sit through of 'Periphery 2' from the riffs and melodies.

Why would you sit through an album you dislike? Unless you were watching a live show or a "friend" of yours forced you to? That sounds pretty obnoxious..

PS. Yes, I like Periphery and I'm looking forward to the next album.

OT: It's really good, and I probably would listen to the whole thing if I wasn't so tired. Great work though!
Last edited by Erra93 at Oct 29, 2012,
EpiExplorer
.Daerht ruoy desolc I
1,830 IQ
Quote by Erra93
Why would you sit through an album you dislike? Unless you were watching a live show or a "friend" of yours forced you to? That sounds pretty obnoxious..

PS. Yes, I like Periphery and I'm looking forward to the next album.

OT: It's really good, and I probably would listen to the whole thing if I wasn't so tired. Great work though!

We're more 'good acquaintences', we speak a lot but dont do 'friend' stuff. Although we are going to see Katatonia in December. Anyway, he's a massive djent fan who's band is like, the only thing I'd ever want to hear from that movement again, and often cuz of his contacts (like Acle Kahney and a certain Mr Mansoor) who also happen to be his good friends, he gets a lot of pre-release material months in advance. So I was er, 'lucky' enough to hear 5 or 6 songs. I like to keep on good terms with people, so I just went with it. Still, overall it was a good afternoon, lots of live Necrophagist vids and listening to promising pre-productions.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
Ometh
UG Addict
401 IQ
Quote by EpiExplorer
lots of live Necrophagist vids and listening to promising pre-productions.

Necrofagist are da poopoo too, no ofense m8.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
EpiExplorer
.Daerht ruoy desolc I
1,830 IQ
Quote by Ometh
Necrofagist are da poopoo too, no ofense m8.

We just watched it for Sami's solos
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
Erra93
erriuyai
284 IQ
Quote by EpiExplorer
We're more 'good acquaintences', we speak a lot but dont do 'friend' stuff. Although we are going to see Katatonia in December. Anyway, he's a massive djent fan who's band is like, the only thing I'd ever want to hear from that movement again, and often cuz of his contacts (like Acle Kahney and a certain Mr Mansoor) who also happen to be his good friends, he gets a lot of pre-release material months in advance. So I was er, 'lucky' enough to hear 5 or 6 songs. I like to keep on good terms with people, so I just went with it. Still, overall it was a good afternoon, lots of live Necrophagist vids and listening to promising pre-productions.

k.

Last edited by Erra93 at Oct 29, 2012,
RedDeath9
UG's Nu/Shyguy
374 IQ
Quote by Shaharz
Lol it's like there's only 5 guys left in this forum. Where are the good old days?

Ometh took them away from us.
Ometh
UG Addict
401 IQ
Quote by Erra93
k.

I want to know what you had written previously.
I want a shitfest goddamn it
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Erra93
erriuyai
284 IQ
Quote by Ometh
I want to know what you had written previously.
I want a shitfest goddamn it

Well I didn't want to be mean, so I added the smiley-face post-posting
Ometh
UG Addict
401 IQ
Quote by Shaharz
That heartless bastard.

Quote by slapsymcdougal