AWACS
I want all of the things
6,888 IQ
I am writing a riff (attached) which ends ends up in "7.5/4" time, but every note is triplet-ed. Is there any way I can simplify this into a "regular" time signature like 4/4?

Edit: Almost got it worked out. See "prog-pop3" attachment.
Attachments:
prog-pop2.gp5
prog-pop3.gp5
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Last edited by AWACS at Oct 27, 2012,
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,409 IQ
Are these what you are looking for?

The "prog-pop1" is what came to my mind from your "prog-pop2" and the "prog-pop" was what came to my mind from your "prog-pop3".
Attachments:
prog-pop.gp5
prog-pop1.gp5
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
King Of Suede
UG's Unicycling Bassist
873 IQ
Also a note on semantics,
7.5/4 is not a proper fraction, nor is it a real time signature. If that is truly what you're looking for, what you want is 15/8
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Hail
i'm a mean bully
431 IQ
Quote by King Of Suede
Also a note on semantics,
7.5/4 is not a proper fraction, nor is it a real time signature. If that is truly what you're looking for, what you want is 15/8

without listening to it, if it's 5 series of 3 eighth notes, i don't even know how you could think of it as 7.5/4 rather than 15/8 unless you have absolutely no experience in rhythmic notation

how in the heck do you call something proggy if you don't know the difference between /4 and /8
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I want to be Hail when I grow up.
AWACS
I want all of the things
6,888 IQ
I figured it out. I realized that it didnt quite work in X/4 time, and I was always left with an eighth note at the end. So I changed the denominator to 8, messed with the nominator, and found out its in 11/8 time. Thanks guys.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Dayn
536 IQ
Honestly? Without any other backing, that sounds like 4/4. It's a perfect fit. First four notes are dotted 8ths, followed by two normal 8ths.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
AWACS
I want all of the things
6,888 IQ
Its four eighth notes, then two dotted sixteenth notes, played at ~80bpm.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,409 IQ
Quote by Dayn
Honestly? Without any other backing, that sounds like 4/4. It's a perfect fit. First four notes are dotted 8ths, followed by two normal 8ths.

Try this. Really.

And the 11/8 thing sounds almost exactly the same as four dotted eights and two eights. I'm pretty sure it's in 4/4 with 3+3+3+3+2+2 kind of rhythm (found in many AC/DC songs for example).

In my attachment you can hear both, 11/8 and 4/4 versions and you'll hear that they sound almost the same. And the correct way to notate it is in 4/4. That 11/8 is very hard to play in time. And I'm sure you didn't want it to sound like the 11/8 sounded but more like how the 4/4 sounded. You can hear that there are four "long" beats and two "short" beats.

Also usually there's only one correct way to mark it. If you have a song in 7/4, it's impossible to mark in 4/4 (unless you use some septuplets). Most likely the song isn't in 7/4 if you can mark it in 4/4. Your song is in 4/4. Listen to my attachment.
Attachments:
prog-pop.gp5
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Oct 28, 2012,
AWACS
I want all of the things
6,888 IQ
Alright alright, its in 4/4. I guess I just didn't know how to write/tab it right.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante
186 IQ
Quote by AWACS
Alright alright, its in 4/4. I guess I just didn't know how to write/tab it right.

then that sounds like something you should work on. train your ear more and gain more experience with rhythmic notation and you'll make some progress.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.