deadgroovy
Wot me Worry??
20 IQ
How many of you out there use 8's? (8-38)
I've heard its a bit easier to fret. I'm going to try them on my Strat (Roadhouse Deluxe).
Comments?
Fender Roadhouse Deluxe Strat
Vintage Acoustic
Home-made 18 Watt all valve Marshall clone
Talent: zero (but trying)
krehzeekid
Me like guitars
240 IQ
I can't imagine that your guitar is set up properly and yet is still so hard to fret that you need to go to 8's. that just doesn't sound right at all.

8's are going to be bordering (at best) on too light. they'll probably be very loose and sloppy
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things...
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
250 IQ
I routinely use 9s when tuning to CGDAEG, but have occasionally used an 8 when I couldn't find a 9.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .
210 IQ
I'd like to try some 8s, I use 9s and they are good for me but to try 8s with lower action and very light picking, hardly any finger movement could be better for recording some techniques. All I can buy here is D'Addario 9s, I find them really good so no complaints.
deadgroovy
Wot me Worry??
20 IQ
Would using 8's affect the action?
Fender Roadhouse Deluxe Strat
Vintage Acoustic
Home-made 18 Watt all valve Marshall clone
Talent: zero (but trying)
Dayn
227 IQ
Oh, I thought you meant 8-strings... but yes, though I use a custom gauge they're very similar to a standard .008 set.

Are they easier to fret? They're so light and the action is so low that I barely have to touch them to fret them. Unless you want buzz, you'll have to really learn how to control your picking technique. Otherwise? I love them.

Will it affect your action? ...No, if you control your picking technique. Since they're much lighter you may have to adjust your truss rod, though. Then again, you might not have to.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
250 IQ
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I routinely use 9s when tuning to CGDAEG, but have occasionally used an 8 when I couldn't find a 9.

Errr...to clarify, I use a custom set when tuning to CGDAEG, and use a 9 or 8 for that high G.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
jjfeu662
Celestia
150 IQ
8s? Those break too easily. I myself use no lighter than 10s.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
ryan_nadon
ass brain
10 IQ
Quote by jjfeu662
8s? Those break too easily. I myself use no lighter than 10s.

If they break too easily then you need to control your picking technique. There's so little tension on the strings the only way to break them would be to wail on them.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
thebestjoe
70 IQ
I use 8's with an added 48 on bottom for Dropped C on a 7 string IIRC I also used them when I'd just started playing since I had no callous's.
Ibanez
Universe UV777 Signed by Steve Vai
Prestige RG2027X with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
dazza027
Serial Pain in the Arse
60 IQ
I used 8's for ages on my shit box super strat. They didnt really feel any different to me than the 9's that were on it previously, if anything I noticed a bigger difference going from a 9 to a 10. The biggest difference I found was there was more variation in note when bending. But thats hardly a big thing I guess. They dont break any easier than 9's either.
GaryBillington
Last of a Dyin' Breed
238 IQ
AFAIK Brian May uses 8's all the time.

Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
hminh87
Justin here!
340 IQ
9 is already way too thin for my taste. Can't imagine what it would feel with 8.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast
233 IQ
Quote by thebestjoe
I use 8's with an added 48 on bottom for Dropped C on a 7 string IIRC I also used them when I'd just started playing since I had no callous's.

Does this mean tuning to CGCFADG? That's crazy if so. Good crazy, but still crazy
boblittle
l0nkLoNKl0nkLoNKl0nkLoNKl
60 IQ
Just fro fun i want to put 8's on a mustang...
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
thebestjoe
70 IQ
Quote by Lavatain
Does this mean tuning to CGCFADG? That's crazy if so. Good crazy, but still crazy

I guess I'm crazy then. I also have the Sperzel D-thing installed on that guitar too so it goes back and forth between a D and C on the low string. So many more chord and soloing options though
Ibanez
Universe UV777 Signed by Steve Vai
Prestige RG2027X with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
Viban
UG's resident bum
150 IQ
I used to use 10-36's and I couldn't even intonate properly for them, it might have been a little lighter on the other strings than 8's but I still can't imagine intonation being easy for it.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
kmister
30 IQ
Don't know how you could even play that! Maybe i'm just use to 12's haha.
kemingt
Barned
20 IQ
drop your guitar with 8s on, and they'll all snap at the same time. really, i have bad experience with 8s
THE BEST UPGRADE FOR YOUR GUITAR IS PRACTICE
HomerSGR
What?
60 IQ
I use 9's on all my guitars. Both 25,5'' and 24,75'' ones. Used to have 10's on the latter, but my Yamaha SG came stock with 9's and I realised they sounded much better. Why would I put more stress on my fingers with heavier gauge? They sound great and I have zero problem with string breakage.

Never tried 8's. My local music store doesn't stock them to my knowledge - it would be fun tro try, but I think they would be too thin for my taste.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
terribleguitar
Really terrible guitarist
210 IQ
I normally use 10-46 or 11-49, but yesterday I installed a Dunlop 7-38 set just for lulz. Well, it's kinda fun
Last edited by terribleguitar at Oct 29, 2012,
Captaincranky
30 IQ
Quote by deadgroovy
How many of you out there use 8's? (8-38)
I've heard its a bit easier to fret. I'm going to try them on my Strat (Roadhouse Deluxe).
Comments?
I don't like light strings. I normally use "electric regulars", (.010 to .047).

I have used "electric light", (.009 to .042), and don't like them a bit.

For rhythm work and clean settings, (IMO) light strings sound thin, and hamper one's ability to manage to dynamics of strumming.
Blompcube
555 IQ
I actually like the sound and the feel of lighter gauge strings for lead work - seems a bit more slick, somehow. I'd happily use 8-38 gauge if i was just going to be soloing all the time.

Really the difference between the sound of a certain gauge of strings isn't enough to justify using a particular gauge for a particular tone though. pick the gauge that you are most comfortable playing.
Happiness is a warm Vox AC30
Captaincranky
30 IQ
Quote by Blompcube
I actually like the sound and the feel of lighter gauge strings for lead work - seems a bit more slick, somehow. I'd happily use 8-38 gauge if i was just going to be soloing all the time.

Really the difference between the sound of a certain gauge of strings isn't enough to justify using a particular gauge for a particular tone though. pick the gauge that you are most comfortable playing.
My first guitar teacher said that he kept one guitar strung with .009s (0r .008, I forget), for when he, "felt like bending some strings". His other axe was strung with regulars.

I you have only one guitar, that approach is pretty much moot.

I you have more than one axe, it's actually quite sensible..
deadsmileyface
jesse's dead
110 IQ
Never tried 8's. I use 9's on my strat and 10's on my mustang.
One of these days i'll try them. But i want to try heavier first
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
1,213 IQ
Doesn't Malmsteen use .008 high E string (the lower strings are heavier)? And he plays in Eb tuning.

Edit: His string gauge is 08-48 in Eb tuning.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Oct 29, 2012,