tomxrich
114 IQ
Hi,

Hello from England to all you folks here at UG, and apologies for starting another thread that I'm sure you guys see a lot of, but I can't seem to come to a decision on my own

I used to have a second hand Gibson LP Standard a long time ago after a string of cheap and nasty guitars when I got into playing, then had to sell it when I moved out of my parents place.

I then got my sh*t together and had an Epiphone LP Standard and one of the bargain basement worn brown Gibson Studio LP's. Then history repeated itself and I got screwed royally by my house mate, resulting in guitar-less-ness once again haha

So now, a few years down the line, I really missed playing so I picked up a Series 1 Epiphone LP Prophecy EX with the EMG's and whatnot. This is a great guitar, regardless of what's written on the headstock or the ugly inlays or where it's made, and it covers metal and so on perfectly well as expected, but I fancy something for some blues and old rock and stuff now.

The Gibsons I've played lately in shops have been really nice guitars but in *my opinion* they can't quite justify the price tags they've carried. I've also been really impressed with ESP's LTD lines...

I guess the bottom line is, if you had a guitar to cover metal playing and heavier stuff, what would you go for as your sort of "normal use" guitar? I've been looking at Epiphone Les Paul Goldtop's, LTD EC-256FM's, Fender Modern Player Telecaster's, and a few other random ones at slightly higher prices like the Gibson LP Studio Goldtop and also some semi-hollow-bodies.

If anyone has any reccomendations of a middle-of-the-road guitar to cover the softer stuff but still with a little crunch then I'd greatly appreciate it, and sorry for the huuuge block of text above, thanks
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!
1,720 IQ
Quote by tomxrich

The Gibsons I've played lately in shops have been really nice guitars but in *my opinion* they can't quite justify the price tags they've carried. I've also been really impressed with ESP's LTD lines...

Seems to be everyone's opinion

On topic, the LTDs, as long as you don't get one less-than or equal to the 200 series, are very solid.

But we need your budget as to give you the most bang for your buck.
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Ibanez RG8
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!
792 IQ
I'm in the same boat. I recently started playing again after about a decade-long hiatus and ended up getting an Epiphone Prophecy with EMG's. I got the black Futura model. I'm in the market for a "main" guitar as well, so I'll be checking back here to see the responses.

I did pick up a couple of cheapies on Craig's List but those don't really count, I'm looking for something I'd be able to gig with if I decide to get into that again.
tomxrich
114 IQ
Thanks a lot jeleopard, I was waiting for some Gibson guys to bite my head off for that haha Good to hear about the LTD's though, the 256 I played did seem really well put together and at 25 I think I'm past caring about brand names enough to spend twice as much just for a cool logo on the headstock

Huge Guy... I felt real gay writing that... but anyway, fair play on the Futura, they look sweet Hope this thread helps you too man

Ideally I wouldn't want to head over the £500 / $800 mark and I'm still happily open to suggestions of anything cheaper if they're nicely built, i.e. the LTD 256FM only weighing in at only £350
jpcl
381 IQ
Depends on what exactly your looking for. Could you give us some more info on what exactly you'll be playing on this new guitar (most of the bands names, or all of them if you can)?

Also what's your take on Fender's? Have you tried any? How they sound and feel?
Heideck
719 IQ
LTD ec-400 or ec-1000 are very nice guitars
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!
792 IQ
Quote by tomxrich

Huge Guy... I felt real gay writing that... but anyway, fair play on the Futura, they look sweet Hope this thread helps you too man

Ha ha, "Huge Guy" was a song I wrote while in college about a NYC guido in my dorm who obsessively went to the gym and thought he was God's gift to women...I think I may re-register under a new name!

Anyway I was thinking of getting an Ibanez, I had an RG as my second guitar and wish I still had it.
tomxrich
114 IQ
JPCL, this one will mainly be for anything from Gary Moore to some of Slash's milder work, so needs to be a pretty versatile guitar with half decent cleans, good bluesy tones, and still a bit of dirt to back it all up when I feel like some rockier stuff... sorry for being really vague haha, but I really need something to be a bit of a Swiss army knife

I used to really dislike Fender's just from a closed minded 'aesthetic/my Dad always played Fenders' point of view, but now I'm quite into them. The Mexicans and Modern Players I've tried have felt like Fender really make an effort and aren't into resting on their laurels like the Gibson corporation. The Mexicans are especially impressive for the money, real quality guitars. Definitely interested in a Tele at the moment, but something always brings me back the Les Paul side of town...

Heideck, good to hear mate, will have to try and get hold of a 400 or higher next time I'm in one of the bigger shops around here

Haha no offence HG, just thought it was funny Fair play on the Ibanez, that's a good shout, will be trying to check some of their Strat and LP-A-Likes if the opportunity comes up! Thanks for the replies so far guys.
jpcl
381 IQ
Quote by tomxrich
JPCL, this one will mainly be for anything from Gary Moore to some of Slash's milder work, so needs to be a pretty versatile guitar with half decent cleans, good bluesy tones, and still a bit of dirt to back it all up when I feel like some rockier stuff... sorry for being really vague haha, but I really need something to be a bit of a Swiss army knife

I used to really dislike Fender's just from a closed minded 'aesthetic/my Dad always played Fenders' point of view, but now I'm quite into them. The Mexicans and Modern Players I've tried have felt like Fender really make an effort and aren't into resting on their laurels like the Gibson corporation. The Mexicans are especially impressive for the money, real quality guitars. Definitely interested in a Tele at the moment, but something always brings me back the Les Paul side of town...

Heideck, good to hear mate, will have to try and get hold of a 400 or higher next time I'm in one of the bigger shops around here

Haha no offence HG, just thought it was funny Fair play on the Ibanez, that's a good shout, will be trying to check some of their Strat and LP-A-Likes if the opportunity comes up! Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Well I think the LP would better suit your musical taste and your feel if you keep getting pulled back to LP's. I also feel much better and more "at home" with a SG/LP then a Strat (and Tele, although I have grown to like them a lot more).

I think that the best guitar to suit you would probably be a Vintage AV1. I can't get enough of this brand, and neither can my brother-in-law. He owns a Fender MIA Strat and two V100 icon models from Vintage since I introduced him to the brand, and he still can't believe the price difference. The Fender is a better guitar overall, but my god to these LP's shine. My SG is still hanging in there and I don't play on ever selling it.

Now to the real point. The Vintage AV1 is kinda like a higher range model from the LP range they produce.
Since this is a UK brand, it'll be quite cheap, and you'll still have a bit of money to spare to save up or just spend on the guitar on whatever feature you might want to add/replace.

I personally have never tried these, since they don't make them in left-handed. But if these are better then the normal/icon V100's, that'll say a lot.
They get huge praise here on UG review's:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/vintage/advance_av1/index.html

Has some pretty good features that I think you'll find very useful. One of them is the upper fret access due to the slight cutaway on the top, and the other being the "Control" knob, which basically acts like a coil-split for single-coil sounds, except for the fact that it's a knob, not a switch, so you can gradually change the sound as much as you want, instead of just two basic on/off options.
Also features a real maple top with a maple veneer on top, and a Graph Tech nut, which are features most LP's won't offer you at the price. I also hear they already have 500k pots in them.

I'm sure you'll manage to find one to try out.
Last edited by jpcl at Nov 1, 2012,
tomxrich
114 IQ
Those are some good reviews and they seem really consistent... I saw a review on Vintage's take on the Appetite For Destruction Les Pauls on iGuitar as well the other day and they said it felt as good as the last 3 Gibsons they'd had in, so that along with what you've said and those reviews from this site do look really promising.

I'm pretty sure there's a little guitar shop in the next city from me that does Vintage so I'll go and have a look tomorrow afternoon when I have a spare couple of hours, thanks a lot for the heads up, I had looked at them briefly but as I hadn't heard too much about them I kind of took it with a pinch of salt, but I can easily believe it due to the consistency

I'm still amazed at the quality of a lot of the circa £300 Chinese guitars compared to how they were 10 years ago when I grabbed my first dodgy BC Rich haha Seems the whole industry has come on leaps and bounds and the smaller "cheap" brands are trying harder than anyone else for their guitars quality to speak for itself and get hold of people's hard earned and less readily available money, so I guess that can only ever be a good thing... awesome guitars for everyone haha

I'm still going to have to get another Gibson Standard, or more likely something from the 'proper' ESP EC range, som time when there's more cash around but I guess it's all coming down to a Vintage, Fender Tele, or a LTD 256 or maaaybe the slight chance of a LTD 401 now.

Will keep you guys posted and thanks a lot for everyone's replies, opinions and help. Much appreciated. Take it steady folks
jpcl
381 IQ
Quote by tomxrich
Those are some good reviews and they seem really consistent... I saw a review on Vintage's take on the Appetite For Destruction Les Pauls on iGuitar as well the other day and they said it felt as good as the last 3 Gibsons they'd had in, so that along with what you've said and those reviews from this site do look really promising.

I'm pretty sure there's a little guitar shop in the next city from me that does Vintage so I'll go and have a look tomorrow afternoon when I have a spare couple of hours, thanks a lot for the heads up, I had looked at them briefly but as I hadn't heard too much about them I kind of took it with a pinch of salt, but I can easily believe it due to the consistency

I'm still amazed at the quality of a lot of the circa £300 Chinese guitars compared to how they were 10 years ago when I grabbed my first dodgy BC Rich haha Seems the whole industry has come on leaps and bounds and the smaller "cheap" brands are trying harder than anyone else for their guitars quality to speak for itself and get hold of people's hard earned and less readily available money, so I guess that can only ever be a good thing... awesome guitars for everyone haha

I'm still going to have to get another Gibson Standard, or more likely something from the 'proper' ESP EC range, som time when there's more cash around but I guess it's all coming down to a Vintage, Fender Tele, or a LTD 256 or maaaybe the slight chance of a LTD 401 now.

Will keep you guys posted and thanks a lot for everyone's replies, opinions and help. Much appreciated. Take it steady folks

Well Vintage has always been a good take on budget guitars, although in it's early years I think it wasn't that great, but as soon as Trev Wilkinson joined in the fun and started offering his services/products to them, things skyrocketed from that point.

Anyways, I suggested the AV1, since it's probably the best deal in terms of versatility and quality, but you can always try other Vintage models. I know they make P90 LP's, mini-humbucker LP's, and they have such a great vibe to them.

I know I sound like a Vintage branded guitar seller, but it's my best input, because I've never had much contact on those LTD models, while I have try almost every model in Vintage's range except for the Tele models (played their strat's, sg's, LP's) and since your in the UK, they come even cheaper then normal.

Might I ask in what region do you live? If you happen to live anywhere near Birmingham you could take a look at this shop: http://www.thelittleguitarshop.com/

I'm living at the moment in Portugal, yet I contacted him by email and the man is seriously helpful. He ain't no left-handed player, but he was willing (and so he did) to make a video of a Tokai LP left-handed model just to give me an idea of how it sounded and all, since I couldn't come try it out.
He's always getting new stock, and his main guitar brands are Vintage, Tokai, Gibson and Fender and he's got some quality products right there, including some very serious guitars like old 60 or 70's Gibson LP's and others.
tomxrich
114 IQ
Trev does sound like a top bloke from everything I've heard and I guess him being on board is enough to explain the big turn around, they definitely look up together online, quite looking forward to going to see some haha Definitely keen on trying some P90's for the retro vibe too! Vintage do seem to tick a lot of boxes, I can totally see where you're coming from.

I'm down in the South West so decent shops are few and far between, but there are some good ones around Bath and Bristol so I can't complain I guess Would definitely be better off in Birmingham or one of the bigger cities like you say though, and I'll check out their site mate, sounds like awesome customer service you got and that's always a big selling point for me

There's a vintage/boutique guitar and amp shop in Bath that I want to have a look around too, just out of interest of course, but I drive a Mk2 Golf GTI and I don't do finance so I'll probably get asked to leave pretty sharpish haha
jpcl
381 IQ
Quote by tomxrich
Trev does sound like a top bloke from everything I've heard and I guess him being on board is enough to explain the big turn around, they definitely look up together online, quite looking forward to going to see some haha Definitely keen on trying some P90's for the retro vibe too! Vintage do seem to tick a lot of boxes, I can totally see where you're coming from.

I'm down in the South West so decent shops are few and far between, but there are some good ones around Bath and Bristol so I can't complain I guess Would definitely be better off in Birmingham or one of the bigger cities like you say though, and I'll check out their site mate, sounds like awesome customer service you got and that's always a big selling point for me

There's a vintage/boutique guitar and amp shop in Bath that I want to have a look around too, just out of interest of course, but I drive a Mk2 Golf GTI and I don't do finance so I'll probably get asked to leave pretty sharpish haha

Well I wish you luck, and just so you know, if there's anything I love more then music, it's cars, so don't you dare think that GTI is anything but great! If anyone even thinks about trashing that little cutie you tell them to sod off. xD

The guy in that shop was also more then willing to give me all the info I needed as to where it was made and year, but yeah it is a bit of a trip for you, but I guess from now on, it's up to you.

Once again, glad I could help and good luck. Weither you take a Vintage guitar home I'm not sure, but I'll know they will surely suprise you and give you a good fight on what to take.
tomxrich
114 IQ
Haha thanks mate, it's the OZ Turbo split rims that make me love the ole GTI, it's my 7th Mk2 and 18th VW after realising I can't afford to keep crashing drift cars... If it's not Les Paul's it's dubs, there's always something after your money isn't there haha

Will post up once I've hit the local Vintage dealer, thanks again for your help bud
jpcl
381 IQ
Quote by tomxrich
Haha thanks mate, it's the OZ Turbo split rims that make me love the ole GTI, it's my 7th Mk2 and 18th VW after realising I can't afford to keep crashing drift cars... If it's not Les Paul's it's dubs, there's always something after your money isn't there haha

Will post up once I've hit the local Vintage dealer, thanks again for your help bud

Damn, now I wish I had a little old hatchback from those days for me to mess around with...But yeah, I know what you mean. These two attractions we seem to share aren't exactly the cheapest...lol.

Glad to help mate, and I'll be waiting for that post. I sure am interested on your verdict on them and for which guitar you'll be finally making the move on (weither or not it's a Vintage).
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
For the "less than metal" second guitar, I'd look for:

1) the HHS or HSH Godins and G&Ls- I think they deliver better value for money than Fenders, and they just feel better in my hands. They might for you, too.

2) Malden's Karma, a nice LP style guitar that has a really good sound...and its Bad Karma cousin has a slightly heavier feel.

3) The Reverend Double Agent, which can cover a broad tonal range with a bridge HB and a neck P-90. Other Reverends like the Manta Ray, Sensei, Warhawk and Club King may also deliver the sound and aesthetics you want.

4) a Fernandes Ravelle Elite (just got one for my birthday)- I have to say its a true rock machine. The Sustainer may turn into one of my favorite guitar toys ever. Other models like the Dragonfly might also appeal.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
jpcl
381 IQ
I've also tried 1-2 Fernandes, if they are consistant with the ones I tried, they're also very good options indeed.
tomxrich
114 IQ
dannyalcatraz, thanks a lot for the suggestions man, Reverend's exclusive UK dealer doesn't stock the Double Agent and Malden don't seem to be available in the UK, but Fernandes is a good shout, thanks I'll look into them.

So I went to a biggg Gibson/Epi/ESP/LTD/PRS dealer today...

I was amazed at the amount of Gibson's, even Les Paul Standards for £1500 upwards, that had wonky knobs or frayed edges on the pick guards or glue residue around some of the neck joints... really disappointed to be completely honest. They did have a really nice and really well finished and set up Gibson Studio in satin vintage sunburst that I'm going to go back and have a look at again in the week.

But I have to agree now after first hand experience that Vintage are top notch for the money and ESP and LTD are seriously putting the work in. PRS blew my mind too haha, sooo sweet, that's the kind of quality guitars should be at to justify the bigger price tags

More info / random rambling soon, and thanks again for all the replies and info.
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
Reverend's exclusive UK dealer doesn't stock the Double Agent

If you like it, talk to them. They may order it for you.

That's how I got my Dean TC Caddy...no regrets.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
If you're just looking for ideas and to check out stuff, my next guitar is going to be an Ibanez ART. Most likely an ART-200. Gonna throw a set of DiMarzio Breeds in it, or maybe a Super Distortion/PAF Pro set.

Best advice I can give is to go used. Way more bang for buck, and if you sell it you'll likely break even or just around.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
tomxrich
114 IQ
The ART's and the ARZ's I saw yesterday were definitely well put together guitars, looked on a par with LTD's of slightly higher prices. I've only had one Ibanez but it was great, but when they start getting really nice they seem to end up with active pickups which I want to avoid for this one... they are nice though, still looking at the Ibanez angle and good call mate

Danny, I'll drop them an email and see what they say, thanks man

I did get some really nice tones out of an Epiphone LP Traditional yesterday, and also an Epiphone LP Tribute Plus, but I'm not keen on picking between Wine Red or Black for the Trad. and the Tribute in the colour I dig had gold binding which I'm realllyyyy undecided on wether it looks classy or one day I'm going to wake up, look at my guitar, and hurl haha

Time for a proper mission round a load of shops this week I think... Thanks again and like I said I'll post when I stop being a little girl about it and bite the bullet
tomxrich
114 IQ
Also found a pretty funny quote, which seems quite ill-educated and unsure of itself from genuine Epiphone literature back in the late 90's...

"Our Epiphone Les Paul guitars are built 100 percent to Gibson Les Paul specifications. However, an Epiphone Les Paul is different from a Gibson Les Paul in the following main areas: In general our Epiphone instruments are about 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of Gibson guitars. Therefore, we have to make some adjustments to the specifications in order to be able to offer our customers this kind of value including fewer inlays, a thinner maple-veneer top, and the use of chrome hardware instead of gold"

The most interesting thing I've found as this is the most I've ever looked into it, is this video of a tour of the Gibson USA factory... with so many machine cut necks and bodies piled up, yes the wood is better quality and anything that isn't one piece will be matched better and most likely come from the same tree so the guitar will resonate with more stability over an Epiphone - on paper - but I don't see how there can be a huge difference, i.e £1500 difference, from a guitar where the body and neck are made by a machine and then hand assembled by somebody in bulk on a mass production assembly line regardless of whether it's in the States or Qing Dao or wherever else LTD or Ibanez or Vintage make them... especially with the quite common place lacklustre finishing and assembly of Gibsons I've seen at the moment haha

I'm also a little put off by Gibson being named as one of the worst places to work in America BY employees... If you're into guitars and you work in a guitar factory, the management and co or conditions have to be pretty bad for you to not enjoy your job. I'd have though they'd have really high job satisfaction.

Anyway... I really don't have anything to do today hence all the research and shit talking, and I'm sorry for rambling and bumping this thread but I hope all the info and opinions of everyone in here helps some other people too as I know it's a big subject that comes up a lot and I'm sure this thread will come up quick enough if anyone ever hits the search button. Cheers.
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
It is hard to shop if you're shopping for integrity. Both Gibson and Fender have very disappointing aspects about them.

Maybe look at PRS? Don't know a whole lot about their practices.

You could also look into an MIJ LP copy, such as Orville, Edwards, Burny, etc..

This is strictly my opinion, but I consider the Japanese the masters of making the electric guitar. Which partly contributes to my love for ESP and Ibanez (and yes, I'm aware that my own guitars are MIK. But the design and concepts are there).

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
tomxrich
114 IQ
Good call dude, I did have a pretty intense bidding session on a Greco LP Copy the other day haha, I had to stop myself in the end though before I had to live on soup for the rest of the month lol Yeah ESP and Edwards are definitely sweet, played an EC 256P with their P90 Soapbar copy pickups, can pull some sweet tones out of that beauty, but the gold was a big toooo gold and the black looked a bit too much like the black one I've already got... might just buy it anyway, sound's the important thing I guess

Will have a decision by the end of the week anyway.

Down to a Gibson LP Studio in whatever colour's cheapest if I can find one that's finished to a decent standard, a PRS SE Tremonti in Vintage Cherry, or maybe a LTD EC 256 if I can get over the gold finish and then I can enjoy saving £150 or so as well... we'll see
JAHellraiser
2,405 IQ
Skipped a lot of posts besides the first two,

But Gibsons are definitely overpriced. If you really want a Gibson I'd suggest getting a used one. But if you're looking at Gibsons with EMGs or putting EMGs into one the definitely go straight for the ESP/LTD's.

It might be the guitar purist in me, but I hate seeing a higher range guitar like Gibson with EMGs in it afterstock. It's almost sacreligious
Doogy-Style
Guitar Noob
1,105 IQ
Quote by tomxrich
Good call dude, I did have a pretty intense bidding session on a Greco LP Copy the other day haha, I had to stop myself in the end though before I had to live on soup for the rest of the month lol Yeah ESP and Edwards are definitely sweet, played an EC 256P with their P90 Soapbar copy pickups, can pull some sweet tones out of that beauty, but the gold was a big toooo gold and the black looked a bit too much like the black one I've already got... might just buy it anyway, sound's the important thing I guess

Will have a decision by the end of the week anyway.

Down to a Gibson LP Studio in whatever colour's cheapest if I can find one that's finished to a decent standard, a PRS SE Tremonti in Vintage Cherry, or maybe a LTD EC 256 if I can get over the gold finish and then I can enjoy saving £150 or so as well... we'll see

If you want some MIJ Gibsonish tones, check Yamaha SGs or MIJ Tokais... I've had good experiences with both, sweet guitars. And if you are lucky, you might actually have them for relatively cheap (same price as a low end LP studio).
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
tomxrich
114 IQ
Quote by JAHellraiser
Skipped a lot of posts besides the first two,

But Gibsons are definitely overpriced. If you really want a Gibson I'd suggest getting a used one. But if you're looking at Gibsons with EMGs or putting EMGs into one the definitely go straight for the ESP/LTD's.

It might be the guitar purist in me, but I hate seeing a higher range guitar like Gibson with EMGs in it afterstock. It's almost sacreligious

Haha I agree with you completely man, I've got one of the first run of Epi LP Prophecy's with EMG's in, and that's suprisingly well made and does anything I need it to for metal, so the next guitar will be staying exactly as is for some blues and less lairy rock stuff

Doogy, I'll keep checking into the Tokai's, seems to be a little confusing now as last time I looked was a good while ago and anything with Love Rock on the head stock was MIJ and now they seem to have a load of MIC Love Rock's too...

We'll see ay, the time's nearly come, just waiting for another debit card to turn up from my bank because my last just expired haha, but as soon as it's here I'll be getting on it
jpcl
381 IQ
Quote by tomxrich
Haha I agree with you completely man, I've got one of the first run of Epi LP Prophecy's with EMG's in, and that's suprisingly well made and does anything I need it to for metal, so the next guitar will be staying exactly as is for some blues and less lairy rock stuff

Doogy, I'll keep checking into the Tokai's, seems to be a little confusing now as last time I looked was a good while ago and anything with Love Rock on the head stock was MIJ and now they seem to have a load of MIC Love Rock's too...

We'll see ay, the time's nearly come, just waiting for another debit card to turn up from my bank because my last just expired haha, but as soon as it's here I'll be getting on it

I kinda forgot about Tokai/Greco/Burny, but if you did enjoy Gibson LP's, you should definatly consider these pre-lawsuit guitars. Japanese models will generally be cheaper, yet better then most low-model Gibsons.

You've been talking much about price difference, and how Gibson is a respected company, making respectful guitars, you can't seem to find the difference for all that money they ask. These three brands are probably the best you can think if your looking to the cloest to the real thing (a relic gibson LP) yet for a lot less.

That link to the shop in Birmingham has a lot of those, and that's what I was looking for. Although since I'm a lefty, the best I could go with was a Tokai Love Rock chinese model (not sure weither it's the ALC53 or ALS48).

But yeah, in a punchline, definatly put these at top priority in your list if you really enjoyed your Gibsons, because Koreand and Japanese models just show what "building to Gibson specifications" is really about, yet since it isn't made in America and has a different logo on the headstock, they manage to charge it for a lot less.
Freddiez79
306 IQ
Check out Dean man. They have some nice guitars. I've been playing them since I got my first one at 15.
They have a nice lp copy as well if that's what your in to. I would say try befor you buy. go to a g.c. and try out any you think ya might like.
tomxrich
114 IQ
I can't find any nice Dean Cadillac's or Singlecuts right now man, I do love a good Dean though haha, my girlfriend is dead set on a Brazilia Burst ML next, I like the V neck Dean run as well, perfect without being too pointed like the DBZ's, you got good taste dude

Can't stretch to Burny's or Greco's right now, they seem to be fetching as much as used Gibson Standards do now... I think the MIJ Scene-Tax is as high as the Gibson fan boi tax in the UK right now, but I'd happily have one if I found one.

I did actually email Tokai UK about the ALC53 in Vintage Sunburst earlier and looked at some Seymour Duncans to drop in, looking forward to their reply, just want to check they're still Korean made because I played one of the MIK ones a while back and it played beautifully.

That shop in Brimingham was sweeet though, I did check it out mate, I proper LOVE some of the ones they've sold lately, if I'd have found it a little earlier I may well have blown the budget out of the water haha I'll keep checking back though

Debating one of the Epi LP Tribute with braided wiring and Gibson pickups because I'm pretty sure they're still inspected properly in the US with the Epi LP Customs and Epiphone's higher model quality is plenty passable. I'll let you know dude, won't be long down, eBay just ****ed me and cancelled 6 items I had bids on so that knocked a bit of potential money out of my pocket haha
JayCartay
1,991 IQ
If you want something cheap but good quality, may I suggest an old Ibanez Roadstar II? Well put together, fast necks and will last forever. I'm a big fan.
tomxrich
114 IQ
Man I looked harddd for a Roadstar last time I went shopping, I'm a fan too and fair play to ya, I'd love one but nice ones don't seem to come up when I look, same as the MIJ stuff, I just have shit luck trying to find nice guitars...

Literally got 3 tabs open right now trying to decide...

Epiphone LP Tribute - Gibson braided wiring and Switchcraft with Gibson 57/57+ Pickups

LTD EC-401 VF - The sunburst one with SD JB and 59 Pickups

Gibson LP Studio 60's Tribute in honeyburst with the ole soapbar P90's

If anyone can help me pick between these today it'd be awesome because I want it asap and I've been staring at the screen for about an hour on and off between smoking and banging my head against the wall... gonna end up flipping a coin at this rate lol
JayCartay
1,991 IQ
There's a lovely RS530 on Gumtree in London that I was going to buy for £240 just now. Might be worth a look?
tomxrich
114 IQ
Will check it now mate, thanks I'm miles from London though, down in the South West, nothing much around here :/
JayCartay
1,991 IQ
Well I cheekily asked him if he'd include shipping to Leeds for the price and he said yeah sure, if it's a quick sale, so try your luck?

It's a lovely looking thing and I own an RS530 myself. 2 Humbuckers with coil splitting built in for even more versatility. The only negatives are the trem isn't supposed to be as good as a later Edge trem, but I block mine anyway, and they are quite heavy.

Hope that helps.
tomxrich
114 IQ
Thanks man, might drop him a line

Think I can rule out the Gibson either way though, for the money I'd prefer the LTD 401 VF.

Just got to decide if it's worth the extra over the Epi Tribute with a free hard case.
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
If you get the LTD, I strongly urge you to look used for an MIK one. The new MIC ones are pretty shit in my experience, in comparison.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
tomxrich
114 IQ
Thanks man, I found one from a good while ago that was old stock at the back of the warehouse but still boxed up, and when it was gotten out and set up it felt gorgeous - bar needing new strings which I blagged for free

I played an EC-256P with soap bars, a Gibson 60's Tribute with soap bars, the Epiphone Les Paul Tribute with Gibson electrics and pick ups, a Gibson Standard just because it was there and I didn't look like a pikey today haha, and an EC-401VF before the one I now have, as well as a cheaper but still really nicely built and finished Ibanez ART, so I bit the bullet and took the LTD.

My honest opinion now is that Gibson are purely selling on reputation and brand name now, although good ones are still fantastic guitars so I'm not slagging them off, there does seem to be a lot more mistakes and imperfections and a distinct lack of 'give a shit' at the factory right now... at least on the Studios and Standards which are still expensive enough to justify a good build and finish. Epiphone have their dogs and gems like any other 'cheaper' brand and I'm sure LTD do too, but when you get a good one they really can be very good.

And finally when a nice MIJ LP copy comes up in the future, I'll try and have some money set aside to grab it without hesitating - And thelittleguitarshop.com site is great so thanks JPCL for the link and I'll check it frequently from now on, but for the minute I'm more than happy with the LTD and can't believe I waited so long before getting hold of one

Thanks to everyone who replied, everyone's been awesome and I appreciate every reply, so take it steady guys and have a good one. Hope this thread comes in handy for some other people too... Cheers
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ

You should do a NGD and give a brief summary of your journey. Would be cool, and most importantly people just wanna see pics.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X