Page 5 of 5
Quote by Life Is Brutal
Dethklok is also EZPZ.
BRB, I'm going to go and learn it for the nostalgia.

It's fun to play in B standard.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Quote by Mister A.J.
Oh god, you might have just killed somebody... and that somebody might be taking you up on that challenge... and that somebody may or may not be me.

do it! i'm game!

Quote by jjfeu662
I'm not making big talk, I'm just saying people who say metal is hairy white men strumming on guitars and yelling would not be able to play Smoke on the Water, let alone South of Heaven or even the Duncan Hills Coffee Jingle.

...where did anyone say that?
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
do it! i'm game!

I'll pick a fugue after I get back from my private lessons (viola! WHOO!), which should take me about an hour and a half.

Official Approval

Mister A.J.
Mister A.J.
No, metal still falls under the umbrella of western muisc. Metal is not as complex as classical music. Period. Anyone who is familiar with both metal and classical music knows this. You have demonstrated that you aren't that familiar with classical music.

I would say I'm pretty well versed in multiple styles of classical music, so I don't know where you're pulling that from...

I'm not making big talk, I'm just saying people who say metal is hairy white men strumming on guitars and yelling would not be able to play Smoke on the Water, let alone South of Heaven or even the Duncan Hills Coffee Jingle.

It's fun to play in B standard.

Detheme is only in C Standard iirc, but Duncan Hills Coffee Jingle is in Drop D, which is weird.

If I have time, I'll also analyze some parts of a fugue.
Last edited by Life Is Brutal at Nov 8, 2012,
This thread's got a lot of value in my eyes. It's introduced me to Busdriver, and now I'm really digging Gordian Knot. Can we turn this into a "complex music in a genre not known for its complexity" sharethread?
Quote by Life Is Brutal
I would say I'm pretty well versed in multiple styles of classical music, so I don't know where you're pulling that from...

So you recognize that classical music has things like form, thematic development and counterpoint that metal just doesn't have.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by AeolianWolf
do it! i'm game!

...where did anyone say that?

Anyone that doesn't own an electric guitar.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by jjfeu662
Anyone that doesn't own an electric guitar.

That's a flat-out lie and you're a dumbass for believing that.

Official Approval

Mister A.J.
Mister A.J.
Quote by rockingamer2
So you recognize that classical music has things like form, thematic development and counterpoint that metal just doesn't have.

Counterpoint is present in all of those Spawn of Possession songs I linked, along with developmental themes, even if they're not apparent.

Form is a bit of an iffier category TBH just because there are so many variations on it, even in classical music. But I will give you that one, there isn't exactly a set form for metal like there is for, lets say, Sonatas.

BUT PERHAPS THIS LACK OF FORM MAKES IT MORE COMPLEX?!

this lol
Quote by Mister A.J.

I never said I believed it, if you read the rest of the sentence you would have realized I said that people who say that have no idea how to play metal.
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by Life Is Brutal
Counterpoint is present in all of those Spawn of Possession songs I linked, along with developmental themes, even if they're not apparent.

Form is a bit of an iffier category TBH just because there are so many variations on it, even in classical music. But I will give you that one, there isn't exactly a set form for metal like there is for, lets say, Sonatas.

BUT PERHAPS THIS LACK OF FORM MAKES IT MORE COMPLEX?!

this lol

One band. One. Doesn't prove much of anything.

Verse-Chorus with a bridge and a solo or two isn't complex.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2

2 words: Black. Metal.
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by rockingamer2

Er, quite a few 'extreme' metal bands, even the ones that aren't considered 'technical' or progressive, have extended or non-standard song structures.
Quote by Nietsche
Er, quite a few 'extreme' metal bands, even the ones that aren't considered 'technical' or progressive, have extended or non-standard song structures.

while this is true, it's not quite the same. in classical theres usually a theme, whereas in metal it's usually a riff. the theme evolves over a span of the song and depending on the form used is dictated where it repeats but often even then the melodic content has changed within the theme. whereas metal is for a large part intro verse chorus bridge etc etc etc.... if you're lucky and the singer screamer isn't tone deaf you'll get a vocal melody that might pass for a first year line. that being said, i love metal (most of my music is some kind of heavy) and i'm not saying all metal bands are like that but enough are for it to be kinda stereotypical.
Last edited by z4twenny at Nov 8, 2012,
Some people in this thread should stop pretending to know about classical music and others should stop making blind generalizations about metal.
Quote by griffRG7321
Some people in this thread should stop pretending to know about classical music and others should stop making blind generalizations about metal.

</thread>

you had really long hair first year of college
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by griffRG7321

This, and I'm sorry if I fall into either.

One band. One. Doesn't prove much of anything.

I'll find other examples, and while Counterpoint is used a fair bit in Necrophagist, its not as clear cut as in SoP.
The part after the solo from Ignominious and Pale from Necrophagist has some great contrasting parts.

Also, I'm more metal than most metalheads here, last week I went to a Steel Panther gig in matching outfit, hell yeah
Quote by Keth
The part after the solo from Ignominious and Pale from Necrophagist has some great contrasting parts.

Also, I'm more metal than most metalheads here, last week I went to a Steel Panther gig in matching outfit, hell yeah

I forgot how badass that part was. I think I'm going to go and learn that again now.

There's actually quite a bit of contrary motion and whatnot in this song, but 2:50 is the part Keth is talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKRvOooPUMM

As for structural and thematic complexity, along with instrumental prowess, this song as a whole probably takes the cake. Its literally the hardest song I have ever tried in my entire life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2W7h3a0iMw
:popcorn:

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Hail

... Or how I'm just another sheep in the herd ...

*slipknot yarling*

My brother has less sheeplike tendencies than these chaps. Last metal festival we went to he wore a mauve shirt, green trousers, straw hat.

If metals all about being yourself and sticking it to the man what's with the uniform of Bermudas, black t shirt and tats?

Don't get me wrong: One is a metalhead. One just fails to understand the necessity of conforming in a genre that espouses non conformity.
Quote by Hail
oh shut up with that /mu/ bullshit. fidget house shouldn't even be a genre, why in the world would it deserve its own subgenres you twat