Runty_WHALE
20 IQ
Dire need of HELP!!!! I need HELP

I've been playing for 2 years. I feel i reach a plateau effect. NO PROGRESS, NOTHING

i feel like i work on stuff that has open chords..

What should i work on in intermediate? tips, guidance. Much Appreciated!!!
Last edited by Runty_WHALE at Nov 1, 2012,
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark
10 IQ
What do you know?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
macashmack
Maskcashmack
170 IQ
You've been playing for 2 years and have only used the open chords? Do some bar chords.
Runty_WHALE
20 IQ
no i haven't done only open chords. mostly working on songs with it. like songs to sing with like city and colour.

i know a bit of penatonic not much just going up and down the scale. finding a couple blues licks here and there.

Relaxing is what i should do its just i feel im not going to progress. Music Theory?
Hail
i'm a mean bully
60 IQ
do you learn your music by tab?
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I want to be Hail when I grow up.
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante
20 IQ
you're not progressing because you're not introducing any new material into your routine.

it doesn't matter where you go from a plateau - 99% of the time, any step is a step in the right direction.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia
10 IQ
Quote by Runty_WHALE
Dire need of HELP!!!! I need HELP

I've been playing for 2 years. I feel i reach a plateau effect. NO PROGRESS, NOTHING

i feel like i work on stuff that has open chords..

What should i work on in intermediate? tips, guidance. Much Appreciated!!!

What's your current practice routine? And how long do you practice in each session? And how many days a week do you practice?
Quote by Hail
oh shut up with that /mu/ bullshit. fidget house shouldn't even be a genre, why in the world would it deserve its own subgenres you twat
Runty_WHALE
20 IQ
my routine consists of just playing random songs i remember. What new material should i intro duce? and yeah i read tabs.
Hail
i'm a mean bully
60 IQ
Quote by Runty_WHALE
my routine consists of just playing random songs i remember.

then your technique and knowledge will be limited to those random songs and how fastidiously you practice and learn them

What new material should i intro duce?

you should always be listening to (and learning) new music - not just new music within your comfort zone, but in genres that challenge your listening ability, even if it's just a switch from classic rock to prog rock or something.

and yeah i read tabs.

transcribe and learn your music by ear. this is a huge pain at first, but it's easily the most effective way to train your ear in a practical setting. all the theory in the world won't help you without a good ear.

this goes back to learning new material - after you've learned a handful of songs (by ear) accurately and cleanly, you can start listening to music "actively" rather than passively, where you can pick out little details of the song without even realizing you're doing it.

this skill will help you immensely as well, because all the music you listen to will work alongside music you know how to play, instead of them being separate entities. it helps your music appreciation as well as your writing and playing, and it's hard to hit a plateau when you can appreciate and understand new music to listen to, and by extension, learn.
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
Hail
i'm a mean bully
60 IQ
Quote by ibanez1511
sightreading ?

here are some key guitar styles to explore:

Classical
Acoustic
Bass
Electric
Jazz
Blues
Rock
and Metal.

the best material, to me, is music outside of the realm of guitar. exploring vocal phrasing, horn instruments, electronic music, rap/hip-hop and the role of other instruments you plan on composing for (such as drums in any of these environments)

granted it took me years before i could listen to anything outside of my group of genres, but once you've reached a level where you can appreciate music based on its merit rather than stylistic or aesthetic differences, you can really explore new ways of voicing or phrasing music you write on your instrument of choice rather than being limited to the physical or stylistic inclinations of genres associated with the instrument.
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia
10 IQ
Quote by Runty_WHALE
my routine consists of just playing random songs i remember. What new material should i intro duce? and yeah i read tabs.

Make a start on learning the fretboard.
Learn the major and minor scales.
Get a bit more organised about which songs you learn.
Quote by Hail
oh shut up with that /mu/ bullshit. fidget house shouldn't even be a genre, why in the world would it deserve its own subgenres you twat
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
1,213 IQ
What I had been doing before I started taking lessons was just playing songs. But I played them by ear and if I wanted a tab, I made my own tab (I have been playing trumpet for a long time so starting a new instrument was very easy to me). Now I also play some technical exercises. But really, play your favorite songs. Also join a band or just jam with your friends. If some of your friends play an instrument just start jamming. You don't need to be that skilled. Playing together is always fun, even if you played "Smoke on the Water" all the time.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man
60 IQ
Quote by Runty_WHALE

Do you enjoy it? Do you enjoy playing guitar? Cuz if there's no motivation there then, well...

Answer honestly.
Runty_WHALE
20 IQ
Thanks so Much! It must be difficult learning songs by tab. I guess i should train my ears that way. That goes for any song? or should i start off with the very basic songs. I have a friend that finds tabs by ear, and hes amazing at improvising and coming up with new songs. Btw is Drop D an easy way to explore and mess around to make new songs?

- Your feedback is much appreciated!!
Runty_WHALE
20 IQ
of course! i love it. The thing is im a stubborn, messy player. Sometimes i get too excited on different songs i learn only the intros and get caught up with another or get too stubborn and cant think i can do it.
Runty_WHALE
20 IQ
Whoah learning more than one instrument, talent my friend. I try coming up with my own tabs, their a bit simplistic but at least its something. Do i just keep messing around until i stumble upon something good? Patience is defiantly a must hah
Runty_WHALE
20 IQ
Like learning where is F# and C# and all those? I know minor pentatonic, the little box scale. Whats the difference between a Major and Minor? (i know a noob beginner question ha) By organized the songs i learn i do what exaxtly? maybe write them down in a book?
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia
10 IQ
Quote by Runty_WHALE
Like learning where is F# and C# and all those?

Yes.

Quote by Runty_WHALE
Whats the difference between a Major and Minor?

Honestly? It depends on which minor scale you mean (there are three). If all this is a bit confusing your best bet would be to go find yourself a theory site (Google 'Music theory') and get a-learnin'.

Quote by Runty_WHALE
By organized the songs i learn i do what exaxtly? maybe write them down in a book?

No, I mean: If your practice sessions consist of you playing through what you can remember then it sounds to me like you're lacking focus in what you're doing. Generally speaking practice sessions involve working on polishing things (technique, pieces, theory, whatever), rather than playing through whatever pops into your head. It sounds to me like what you're doing is just playing for fun rather than practicing per se. Not that there's anything wrong with playing for fun.
Quote by Hail
Runty_WHALE
20 IQ
Is that finding where open chords are in the fret board?

And i know theres one that goes up and down the fret board i just dont know which besides the box one.

I know i do have some lack of focus when it comes to completing a song or i try to learn too much i forget about the others. And if i do i only get past the intros. I love playing i do think its really fun, but i just wanna break through this plateau.
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man
60 IQ
Tommy Emmanuel always said to learn your first song all the way through. Cuz it will stay with you forever.

You know TE? Probably the world's finest acoustic player. Pretty much as good as it gets. Check him out...
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia
10 IQ
Quote by Runty_WHALE
Is that finding where open chords are in the fret board?

And i know theres one that goes up and down the fret board i just dont know which besides the box one.

I know i do have some lack of focus when it comes to completing a song or i try to learn too much i forget about the others. And if i do i only get past the intros. I love playing i do think its really fun, but i just wanna break through this plateau.

More like finding notes on the fretboard. And if you're stuck with open chords learn about chord construction and start working out chord voicings for yourself. There are many scales that go up and and down the fretboard. In fact any scale can go up and down the fretboard once you know the scale interval pattern.
Quote by Hail
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared
50 IQ
Quote by mdc
Tommy Emmanuel always said to learn your first song all the way through. Cuz it will stay with you forever.

You know TE? Probably the world's finest acoustic player. Pretty much as good as it gets. Check him out...

He is such a great player
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia
10 IQ
I'd never heard of him but I'm not much of a jazz fan so I guess that figures.

Judging from what I hear he'd not knocked Richard Thompson off my top-spot but I'm more of a sucker for folksy singer-songwriter stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXYi_jHYZZo

(That's his ex-wife singing, btw).
Quote by Hail
Hail
i'm a mean bully
60 IQ
Quote by Sleepy__Head

(That's his ex-wife singing, btw).

it's getting late, i swore i read that as "That's my ex-wife singing, btw" and lolwatd quite fervently
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia
10 IQ
Ah, it's 8.45 in the morning here

Not sure if I wish it were my ex-wife singing except to say that I'd maybe know RT. Which would be cool. Even if the bastard had stolen my wife. Which he hasn't.

Um.

Just sayin'.
Quote by Hail
Hail
i'm a mean bully
60 IQ
through the fire and the flames we carry on
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr