Page 7 of 7
mmolteratx
UG God
3,786 IQ
+ and - with AC usually refers to phase and the wave's position relative to the relative zero axis.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
830 IQ
Speaker + - is to help wire in phase, nothing more.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
mmolteratx
UG God
3,786 IQ
Quote by Arby911
Speaker + - is to help wire in phase, nothing more.

Yea, on my phone right now but that's what I was trying to say and for some reason couldn't articulate it. If you wire the speakers out of phase, they'll largely cancel each other out and you aren't left with much other than the slight differences between the two speakers.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ

EDIT: wait hang on a minute you only have high school physics? from the first sentence/paragraph of your original post it sounded like you had a phd or something
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 30, 2012,
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
Quote by dietermoreno

If Class D amp has no better frequency efficiency response than Class A amp, then why do the classes exist? Money making scam for amp merchants to scam you into blowing all of your money?

Buddy you have a lot to learn.

Audio is completely different than other applications. Its all about signal reproduction and low crossover noise.

Class "A" is very inefficient. Best signal reproduction.

Class "B" more efficient, more noise to the point its not used in audio.

And so on.....

the classes are there for reason. How old are you?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
CECamps
Schematic Junkie
1,253 IQ
Quote by dietermoreno
My physics teacher has failed me then because this is what he told me. Maybe he was lying to me to make the discussion simpler for my understanding.

I can't speculate on your physics teacher's intent, but if he told you that a standard audio waveform is pulsating DC then I'm not sure if he should be teaching physics. Audio waveforms are AC.

Quote by dietermoreno
I have never heard of + and - AC? Do you mean there is an oscillation circuit in the speaker set to the 60Hz AC frequency that splits the AC positive wavepeaks into + DC and splits the AC negative wavepeaks into - DC and the speaker leads are + or - DC?

No, that's not what I'm saying at all. What I'm saying is that the speaker's voice coil, which is "housed" in the speaker's magnet and connected to the speaker's cone, is pushed outward and pulled inward by the AC current delivered to it. The physics of it are as basic as it gets in terms of electromagnetism. Think of the voice coil as an electromagnet with constantly varying polarity due to the changes in current flow direction which come courtesy of the AC waveform being delivered to it. The back and forth motion this causes makes the speaker cone generate sound waves. It's a transducer, transforming electrical energy into acoustic energy.

A speaker is a very simple device, and even a quick Google search can get you all the info you'd ever need to know about them.

Quote by dietermoreno
Well so more to the point of this thread, everything I was saying about frequency efficiency response as the cause for the amp to sound bad at low volumes is mostly or at least partially correct, right?

Performance at any volume is subject to how accurately delivered the audio waveform is, yes.

Quote by dietermoreno
If Class D amp has no better frequency efficiency response than Class A amp, then why do the classes exist? Money making scam for amp merchants to scam you into blowing all of your money?

The amplifier class is most closely connected with power efficiency. But varying classes have uses in all sorts of applications. Going back to the class D amplifier, since it generates a square wave it is great for pulse generators--particularly since it is theoretically 100% efficient.
Last edited by CECamps at Dec 30, 2012,
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
The class of an amp describes it's electrical function, it has nothing to do with grade or quality per se.
A, B, A/B and C are types of analog amplifiers. Class D is digital (sort of).
Class A amplifies the whole signal in one element.
Class B operates on 50% of the signal (you use two back to back to amplify the whole waveform).
Class A/B is like class B but there is some overlap between the two halves to minimise on crossover distortion.
Class C amplifies less than 50% of the signal, it isn't used for audio.
Class D is digital. It works by switching high power MOSFET's.

Class D is becoming very popular in bass amps and PA systems because it can produce massive power in a tiny, cheap package and both of those applications need lots of power.

I've oversimplified class D a bit. If you want to know more read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_amplifier#Class_D
As you can see, they are a totally different concept to A, B and C.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 30, 2012,
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
1,943 IQ
Quote by dietermoreno
I have encountered the same misconception with my friends who are musicians, so I joined this forum to give my 2 cents to give a better explanation more in depth explaining the electrical engineering concepts and physics concepts as they apply to the electrical engineering concepts so that everyone can understand this with the aid of Wikipedia to look up terms that they don't understand:

In the future, don't lead off posts from this position of authority, when you don't seem to have degrees or an education in either physics or electrical engineering. It's disingenuous, and gives way too much credence to a lot of incorrect information.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake
4,843 IQ
You should really get your money back from your physics professor because he seems to be edison in disguise and does not understand how alternating current actually works.
buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
Quote by AcousticMirror
You should really get your money back from your physics professor because he seems to be edison in disguise and does not understand how alternating current actually works.

Tesla FTW.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
830 IQ
Quote by R45VT
Tesla FTW.

Indeed! Tesla was a better scientist, inventor, intellectual etc..

Edison was better at sales, stealing shit and marketing.

Both of them were far smarter than I am.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
Quote by Arby911
Indeed! Tesla was a better scientist, inventor, intellectual etc..

Edison was better at sales, stealing shit and marketing.

x10. Most people don't have a clue who he is and what he did. Sure Edison had the light bulb but if we had it his way we would have sub power stations every block or two.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
Radio too. Marconi was using Tesla's patents to do what he did. The court eventually ruled in favour of Tesla.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
DeathByDestroyr
EDM
953 IQ
Quote by Arby911

It's not really so much a matter of intellect, as it is timing and ambition. Someone was bound to put some of those together, and as far as I see, could just as easily have been many of us, given a similiar environment.

Ya'll are funner than this Nikola fellow anyways, he just doesn't have much to say now days.
'81 Ibanez DT400
'69 Bassman 50
Marshall 1960a
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Dec 30, 2012,
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
Quote by Cathbard
Radio too. Marconi was using Tesla's patents to do what he did. The court eventually ruled in favour of Tesla.

Yup

And Tesla died broke didn't he? Gave up his patents for WestingHouse to succeed.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
mmolteratx
UG God
3,786 IQ
Quote by R45VT
Yup

And Tesla died broke didn't he? Gave up his patents for WestingHouse to succeed.

Yes. And according to that link in the last post, the ruins of Wardenclyffe Tower are for sale. $1.6 million. Tempted.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

cdr_salamander
or simply Nick
1,335 IQ
I wouldn't quote that dude in my sig if he wasn't worth quoting. Smart fella.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
gumbilicious
beginner
1,236 IQ
Quote by dietermoreno

afaik each class of amplification is another way of implementing an amplification circuit. efficiency is just an evaluation of the implementation. a higher class does not necessarily mean a higher efficiency, and some amplification classes have some serious tradeoff with fidelity and efficiency (class C for example).
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
TVeye
Not Worth It......
295 IQ
I must admit I have not read all 259 replies to this topic but, you would be amazed at the sounds I can get out of a Mustang I and a valve jr. through my Mesa 2x12 with Force 12's and a couple of pedals. I don't even power up the 60 Supersonic head unless I'm at a gig
Maineguitarist
Go to Mainer
887 IQ
Whelp, my brain hurt after reading. That's a good indication that I learned some pertanent information. Thankks mans
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Funk Monk
2,227 IQ
Thank you so much for posting this.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Ian_the_fox
Banned
2,990 IQ
Just wanted to post this here:

Played an open mic today doing lead guitar over a friend's acoustic, had my JCA running with volume at 1 with some delay in the loop, mic'd up. Some guy complimented me and said I had the best lead tone he had ever heard. No joke.

Next person who says it's impossible to get a good sound out of any 100w tube amp at a low volume I am going to personally track down and slap them upside their head.
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.
1,633 IQ
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Just wanted to post this here:

Played an open mic today doing lead guitar over a friend's acoustic, had my JCA running with volume at 1 with some delay in the loop, mic'd up. Some guy complimented me and said I had the best lead tone he had ever heard. No joke.

Next person who says it's impossible to get a good sound out of any 100w tube amp at a low volume I am going to personally track down and slap them upside their head.

Got a time machine?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Arab_Philosofer
35 IQ
Quote by darkwolf291
It's well known that Edison stole and patented a bunch of Tesla's, among others, intentions.

Edison was a bastard, he tried to conglomerate cinema right from the beginning. He actually hired goons to destroy equipment and assault early filmmakers during their filming endeavors. Can't deny his intelligence of course.
Phoenix V
Registered MUser
715 IQ
Craig

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you

The amount of misinformation about low volume and tone is enormous.

This is a great respository of information on this topic. Everyone should read.
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
jakey333
666 IQ
I really enjoyed reading this. I run a Hiwatt 100w DR103 at all times, and people say that's just about the loudest 100watter amp in the world.

It can be if you need it to be but....

Thing is, it's totally clean, so I can get great tones out of it due to the headroom, even at 3 and 4 on the volume controls.
Adrian Curran
10 IQ
My experience in recent times has been one of being told by the sound engineer to turn away down. So in small/medium sized venues were you are being miced up through a PA it seems to be a waste of time and money having a high powered amp. Although, we are guitar players so what makes sense is not always what guides us!