On a guitar tab, i write it as x3402x. That's a C, F#, G, D

Is that a Gmaj7sus4 or a Cadd9aug4 (not sure if that's how it would be written)?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
it depends on the function of the chord, which is dictated by how it appears in context.

if it was a C chord, i'd probably label it Csus2(add #11). but it's probably not a C chord unless you're utilizing a C pedal.

what is the context that the chord appears in?
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Uh, 3402 is C F# G Db.
3403 is C F# G D.
Quote by Hail
oh shut up with that /mu/ bullshit. fidget house shouldn't even be a genre, why in the world would it deserve its own subgenres you twat
Yeah sorry about that it's x3403x, not 3402. Context is in G major or E minor, or really any key that just has the one accidental. I use it mainly as a function of a C chord within that context to add some extra flavour to the chord.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

if it really is a C chord in that context, you can call it what i've written above.

but personally, i'm presented with a very strong feeling that the chord, in fact, has the function of a D chord, and would be a D11.
I know what you mean, in the context i use it in mostly it serves as a kind of C, but i too feel it should be a D of some sort (D7add11 since there's no 9? Idk). Also, what makes it a Csus2(add #11) and not a Cadd9aug4? The lack of a 3rd and/or 7th? Or the order of ascending intervals?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Depending on how it resolves, it's probably D7/C with the G being some sort of pedal tone/other decoration.
Quote by Acϵ♠
I know what you mean, in the context i use it in mostly it serves as a kind of C, but i too feel it should be a D of some sort (D7add11 since there's no 9? Idk). Also, what makes it a Csus2(add #11) and not a Cadd9aug4? The lack of a 3rd and/or 7th? Or the order of ascending intervals?

the chord has no third, meaning the D is most likely a suspension (actually a retardation in this case, but that's not really part of the modern musician's vocabulary -- everything is sus to them). i wouldn't call it a 9th because then the 3rd and the 7th are absent, making the quality of the chord completely ambiguous. i would only call it a 9th if i was using it for the fact that it's ambiguous.

not to mention that "aug4" is not part of proper chord nomenclature.
Quote by Acϵ♠
On a guitar tab, i write it as x3402x. That's a C, F#, G, D

Is that a Gmaj7sus4 or a Cadd9aug4 (not sure if that's how it would be written)?

What's the whole progression?

We get so many threads with ppl asking what a chord is, but it's always on it's own (no context).

Context, especially with a voicing like that. Just post up the whole progression so we can see. It'll make everyone's life so much easier.
Cmaj#11. Done.

Every time I've seen this chord, it's just functioned as a standard IV in G major with extensions.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Nov 6, 2012,