I have a Cozart custom made 12 string guitar with a Gotoh 12 string bridge (12 individually adjusted saddles). I cant seem to get the intonation right. The octave strings come out a hair flat when its mate is intoned properly, or the larger gauge string is sharp when the octave string is intoned correctly, even though the saddles are at their extreme opposites for each pair, and can't be adjusted farther.
(Invalid img)

I've tried adjusting saddle height. (cannot compromise action any more), went to a medium gauge string set(11s)(slight improvement), I'm considering designing a custom set of strings (light gauge regular with medium gauge octaves).
This is the best Bridge/Saddle combo I can find for this Strat style 12 string (4 octave gauge strings + 2 through the bridge-tail, and 6 regular gauge strings through the guitar body). Do I just have to settle for playing near the nut? Any solutions? Any suggestions? I like this guitar!!!
Attachments:
Gotoh_12-string_Bridge_For_Electric_Guitar_sm.jpg
If you're only a hair out, it shouldn't be something too noticeable. Maybe you're being a bit too anal and precise about it. I'd bet that a lot of 12 string players like the slightly out of intonation sound, like people who enjoy the sound of a 3 saddle telecaster. The slightly out intonation just gives it a different character.
OK, so its a BIG hair from a wooly mammoth, far too noticeable at the 10th fret and up, especially for recording. I'm also tempted to file out the adjustment slots of the octave saddles. I might get another 16th inch closer to pitch; or I could drill and tap the base a bit closer to the frets. It would only be 4 holes. (Notice, I've really done some thinking on this.)
Okay, after looking at more pictures of the bridge, I'm sure you're missing something. There should be extra holes for you to move the screw of the intonation slot for the octave strings, so you are able to move it even farther or closer to where its non-octave string is.
Quote by Lavatain
Okay, after looking at more pictures of the bridge, I'm sure you're missing something. There should be extra holes for you to move the screw of the intonation slot for the octave strings, so you are able to move it even farther or closer to where its non-octave string is.

yep, my danelectro 12-string has this, and the bridge is the same design as the one pictured. i had to take some of the screws out and put them into a different slot to get the intonation sounding decent.

i never got it just right, but it's acceptable.
Happiness is a warm Vox AC30
mmpizar
Old thread, I know, but maybe someone is still listening. I just got one of these cheap Cozarts the other day. It's a surprise that more expensive 12 strings don't have a bridge that allows separate intonation of each string, but this cheap guitar does.

The way the saddles are arranged on this bridge provides a range of adjustment for the upper saddle of a pair of strings to be even with (equal scale) or further back (making a longer scale) from it's neighboring string. This means you would want the heavier string on the upper saddle (the way some 12 string Rickenbackers are strung) so it can have a longer scale than its octave string, since heavier strings need a longer scale to intonate properly. I tried turning the little saddle around 180 degrees so it could make a shorter scale for a lighter sting, but it doesn't work well. I'm going to string mine with the octave strings below (like a Rickenbacker) instead of on top and see if the intonation improves.
Last edited by tcvt at Nov 12, 2016,