kholli61
21 IQ
Is there a way to take a barre chord (I play finger-picking style) and transpose it to another chord that pretty much sounds the same but is easier? I have short, stumpy fingers (I call them my Irish bog-hopper fingers!) and cannot seem to make even the easiest barre chords...my fingers simply can't reach anywhere. Is there some chart that can transpose barre chords? Thanks for any help!
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
1,670 IQ
You can't make the chord shapes because you suck, your fingers are nothing but an excuse. Suck it up and practice.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Album.
Legion.
AmalgamOfMeat
Naw
80 IQ
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You can't make the chord shapes because you suck, your fingers are nothing but an excuse. Suck it up and practice.

This, but less horrible and lacking in empathy.
shreddymcshred
306 IQ
barre chords are what separate beginning level guitarists from the rest of us. Either put in the time and practice or be damned to try to find shortcuts all the time.
wench38
Bahhh..
13 IQ
No sympathies here..
I'm a woman with tiny hands, to give you an idea- I wear a size 3 on my pinky . I'm willing to bet your hands are bigger than mine.
I play a Telecaster which is 25.5 scale ....I can do barre chords.
No excuses,you just need to practice.
rickyvanh
63 IQ
Not trying to be mean,but these people are all right.Every guitar player passes through this phase,no matter what your fingers are like.You have to be patient,and practice the things that need work to get better.Many players avoid chords and techniques that they can't do well,and play the things they can do to death.Even more people just quit,thinking that better players are born with physical attributes that make guitar playing easier for them.Building strength and flexibility takes lots of practice and time.Things you can't do now will be easy for you down the road if you work at it.Patience,practice,and persistence(the 3 P's) will get you there guaranteed.
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante
186 IQ
practice. i've never heard of anyone with fingers short enough or hands small enough that a barre chord was not possible through practice.

another thing - your attitude will determine your results, so stop making excuses. if you want to tell yourself that it's impossible because your hands are things like "stumpy" and "irish", how could you ever expect to get results?

as far as moving the voicings to a different location -- that's all about learning the notes and being able to find them anywhere. it's a good skill to have -- learn your fretboard if you haven't yet.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san
238 IQ
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

What he said.

I would have been a bit more terse myself......
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Captaincranky
288 IQ
Quote by AmalgamOfMeat
This, but less horrible and lacking in empathy.
What's empathy..?

My advice is to buy or borrow a 12 string, and practice doing barre chords on that. In which case, you'll be a real powerhouse when you migrate back to the six.
Geldin
1,677 IQ
Quote by kholli61
Is there a way to take a barre chord (I play finger-picking style) and transpose it to another chord that pretty much sounds the same but is easier? I have short, stumpy fingers (I call them my Irish bog-hopper fingers!) and cannot seem to make even the easiest barre chords...my fingers simply can't reach anywhere. Is there some chart that can transpose barre chords? Thanks for any help!

Shawn Lane had the smallest hands I've seen on a guitarist and the dude did some stretches that make my carpal tunnel act up. Short fingers aren't a barrier; lack of strength and dexterity is. The way you improve strength and dexterity is through stretching and practice. You do that enough and you'll be playing stupidly complex chords.

Essentially, instead of asking "Is there an easier chord I can play?", ask "Is there a way to make this easier?". You can't change the voicings of the chords, but you can get stronger and more dextrous.
adamgur96
Not caring no more
865 IQ
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

That.
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
astholkohtz
43 IQ
what an horrible attitude for a (wannabe) guitar player. you'll probably quit in a couple of months, classic
JonDeco
54 IQ
When I get lazy I usually play the top 4 notes like Hendrix or John Frusciante might do.

Like, instead of doing this: (A minor barre chord)

I'll just do this:
5 (barre the rest with index)
7 (ring finger)
x
x
However, I have the ability to play barre chords. I change it because sometimes I like to play the alternative way that I put above because I prefer the sound, and I can get a cool funky rhythm when I add notes with my pinky.

But if I wanted a fuller sound, I would play the full chord. Like others have said, you shouldn't pass up this skill. Keep practicing until you build strength.
Last edited by JonDeco at Nov 9, 2012,
jonathan.keeler
1,863 IQ
how would i hold this chord with my left hand?

-0-
-6-
-7-
-7-
-0-
-6-
LeakyFlask
You know what would be really sweet? Having a beautiful bird inlaid around the first fret, taking a majestic dump with airborne droppings around the 5th, 7th, 9th frets and so on, with a graceful impact around the 22nd-24th.
adamgur96
Not caring no more
865 IQ
Quote by jonathan.keeler
how would i hold this chord with my left hand?

-0-
-6-
-7-
-7-
-0-
-6-

-0- 
-6- 2'nd finger
-7- 4'th finger
-7- 3'rd finger
-0- 
-6- 1'st finger
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
steven seagull
not really a seagull
1,064 IQ
Varying degrees of empathy but everyone's pretty much right - you just need to suck it up and practice.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
C0FF1NF33D3R
Banned
10 IQ
The easiest way is to use an open tuning. If you're having trouble holding the strings down, I suggest tuning down ½ a step, until you get the "clamp" grip right.