ralius18
684 IQ
When I play power chords, the 3 finger version, I tend to block the other strings with my index finger. The trouble is that when I keep playing them for too long, my left hand fingers get extremely sore. This also happens with regular barre chords, but never happens when I play classical stuff.

How can I stop this from happening?
oneblackened
Better Than You At Mixing
3,304 IQ
Be more precise with your picking.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (BKP C-Bomb/VHII)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san
238 IQ
Quote by oneblackened
Be more precise with your picking.

...........that has nothing to do with TS's question.

What part of your fingers hurts? If it's the tips, that's just your fingers building up calluses and getting used to the strings. Nothing you can do about that. Just keep playing and eventually it will get easier.

If it's your hand itself that's hurting, and it feels like a muscle cramp, you are using too much pressure and are probably applying that pressure with your thumb. All the force needed to fret the strings should come from your fingers. The thumb is only there to support the neck.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
oneblackened
Better Than You At Mixing
3,304 IQ
Quote by Junior#1
...........that has nothing to do with TS's question.

What part of your fingers hurts? If it's the tips, that's just your fingers building up calluses and getting used to the strings. Nothing you can do about that. Just keep playing and eventually it will get easier.

If it's your hand itself that's hurting, and it feels like a muscle cramp, you are using too much pressure and are probably applying that pressure with your thumb. All the force needed to fret the strings should come from your fingers. The thumb is only there to support the neck.

Let me explain. He's muting strings with his first finger for power chords. That tells me he's having trouble not hitting other strings when doing power chords, which tells me he should clean up his strumming.

Otherwise, you're right.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (BKP C-Bomb/VHII)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
grungelive72
648 IQ
I had the same problem when I played on a Les Paul, and then I moved to an Ibanez. I don't have that problem anymore. Go to a guitar store and try a guitar with a thinner neck or lower action and see if that changes anything. Either that, or try putting lighter strings on your guitar.
GEAR:
1987 Ibanez RG550 w/ DiMarzio PAF Pro and Bare Knuckle Aftermath
Fender Jaguar Classic Player Special HH
Ibanez RGT42 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez AEG10E Acoustic-Electric
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe w/ Celestion Vintage 30
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san
238 IQ
Quote by oneblackened
Let me explain. He's muting strings with his first finger for power chords. That tells me he's having trouble not hitting other strings when doing power chords, which tells me he should clean up his strumming.

Otherwise, you're right.

Or he's just using proper technique. If possible, you're supposed to use your first finger to mute all the strings higher (in pitch) than the one you're playing on, as well as one string lower. Regardless, there's no way that left hand muting should cause any pain, unless you're like 90 years old with extremely severe arthritis.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
ZILtoid_1991
899 IQ
Quote by grungelive72
I had the same problem when I played on a Les Paul, and then I moved to an Ibanez. I don't have that problem anymore. Go to a guitar store and try a guitar with a thinner neck or lower action and see if that changes anything. Either that, or try putting lighter strings on your guitar.

I also have this then I try other guitars. I think after you get used to playing on that neck, it'll go away.
astholkohtz
43 IQ
Quote by ralius18
When I play power chords, the 3 finger version, I tend to block the other strings with my index finger. The trouble is that when I keep playing them for too long, my left hand fingers get extremely sore. This also happens with regular barre chords, but never happens when I play classical stuff.

How can I stop this from happening?

how can you block the other notes with the index? the index is behind the other 2 fingers, you can do whatever you want to do with your index finger, as long as you press the first string!
ralius18
684 IQ
Quote by astholkohtz
how can you block the other notes with the index? the index is behind the other 2 fingers, you can do whatever you want to do with your index finger, as long as you press the first string!

But you got to mute the other strings unless you want them strummed every now and again.

It's mostly my index finger that hurts, and this also happens with regular barre chords.
I've tried it on all my different guitars (and ukes ) but the same thing still happens.

Any help?
wench38
Bahhh..
13 IQ
Pressing too hard? If your muting in a power chord you only need press just hard enough to make that first string sound and it simply lays over the others lightly.

Try using just that finger with the minimum pressure needed to make the note sound of the power chord. It doesn't take much at all. If it does take much pressure you may need a good setup/action adjustment.
Zoomyrs1
11 IQ
Out of curiosity where are you holding the guitar at?

Do you have the issue sitting standing or both?
astholkohtz
43 IQ
Quote by ralius18
But you got to mute the other strings unless you want them strummed every now and again.

It's mostly my index finger that hurts, and this also happens with regular barre chords.
I've tried it on all my different guitars (and ukes ) but the same thing still happens.

Any help?

i misunderstood the problem. why don't you post a video?
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
1,670 IQ
Quote by astholkohtz
i misunderstood the problem. why don't you post a video?

He means that the process of holding a power chord for an extended period of time is causing his hand to ache, by blocking the other strings he means muting the ones that aren't being played. I think we can all agree that's a good thing
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Album.
Legion.
ralius18
684 IQ
It's both sitting and standing. Yes, that is the problem, and it's getting extremely annoying.
I've tried the 'pressing lightly' thing and it doesn't work :/
Rocketface2112
Face of rockery
502 IQ
i thought you were suppose to mute the higher strings with your index finger?? i can cleanly play power chords and mute the strings i dont use (ie GBE). and still be able to unmute the strings if i need to play them :/

if im understanding your post correctly you just need to practice. take a rest if your hand is cramping up.

also when barreing chords and muting the strings. try keeping your thumb in the middle of the back of the neck, or even a little below the middle.
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
Last edited by Rocketface2112 at Nov 23, 2012,