Hello, I am a beginner guitar player, and I need some advice. First of all I'm 16. So for Christmas my parents are offering to get me new guitar stuff, but I don't know what to replace first. Here is a link to some pics of my current guitar that i took. Its a fender, and it came in a set that include the amp and everything.

its called "
Squier® SE Special Electric Guitar Starter Pack - Black"

So, thats what I have now. I want to get a distortion petal (I want to play songs from System of a Down, and Slipknot, ect)

So, my first question is what should i get first? A new guitar, or amp? I think im getting the petal first no matter what. I was told thats a beginners guitar, and to replace it as soon as possible.

Thanks!
Last edited by bravematt at Nov 8, 2012,
Getting a better amp would be much better. A low end guitar through a decent amp can sound good, but a good guitar through a low end amp will sound like shit no matter what.

This was the pack I started out playing with, and I'd change from the amp as soon as possible, I upgraded from the strat to a G400 before upgrading my amp and it still sounded not that great.
What do you feel like you should replace? By that I mean, are you unhappy with any of your gear in particular?

It's all beginner-level stuff as far as I can tell, so I think you will probably want to replace everything eventually. How's the amp? When I started, I borrowed a friend's behringer amp and it was so awful I made sure to upgrade as soon as possible. I hear a lot of people recommend the peavey vypyr amps to those who like playing metal.

If you haven't, you should probably go to a guitar store and just try guitars and amps to get an idea what you like.
Last edited by samuraigoomba at Nov 8, 2012,
Well the amps that come in those starter packs are usually really really crappy. I'd get a new amp before anything else. You can get a low end guitar to sound half way decent through a better amp. A great guitar though a cruddy amp won't make much difference.
the guitar is okay (squires usually are), but the amp is almost guaranteed to be utter crap. go for a better quality amp and pass on the pedal- if you get the right amp, you won't need to have the pedal!
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things...
Quote by resum
don't buy the pedal please. save the money for the amp

+1

What is your budget?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Get the amp. Peavey Vypyr, or if you want to switch from clean to distorted tones, find an amp with a footswitch. And of course, the budget is important too.
You build a house from the bottom up.

And likewise- unless something is actually broken- you upgrade your rig from the amp up.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.